[ACS] SetActorPosition for putting an actor in FRONT of another?

Discuss all aspects related to modding Zandronum here.
FranckyFox2468
Forum Regular

[ACS] SetActorPosition for putting an actor in FRONT of another?

Post by FranckyFox2468 » Sun Dec 02, 2018 10:42 pm

So i've been fiddling around the idea of a grappling hook similar to ones you'd see on roadhog from overwatch, scorpion from mortal kombat and so and so...
But the problem i encountered is that stuff like Loreshot is unreliable and only works on lightweight actors, and this comes with the issue of stuff getting in the way and so on...

So my alternative solution was to make the actor teleport in front of the calling actor once a projectile lands and gets a tracer. But trying to use A_Warp didn't go anywhere since the function to teleport the affected actor isn't available in Zandro currently... And even in GZDoom my hack didn't work so well...

So i decided to fiddle around with SetActorPosition cause this seemed to be the most convenient solution at the moment, using some "set activator to use" hacks, get actor X, Y and such...
But now i came with the following question:
If SetActorPosition is used to teleport a player or monster in front of the calling actor, how would you make it so it is in a relative distance in FRONT of it and making sure it is facing it?

Thanks in advance for any help provided.

madcat
Forum Regular
Clan Tag: [Sun]

[ACS] Re: SetActorPosition for putting an actor in FRONT of another?

Post by madcat » Mon Dec 03, 2018 7:24 pm

I see you are trying to make a Scorpion-like Grappling hook...I have tried a rather unorthodox method - its DECORATE-based ( the only ACS there is for using an ammo like a DECORATE expression ) - https://www.dropbox.com/s/guc5dbsg0lhft ... .wad?raw=1 - Summon GrapplingHookBall. Is it similar to what you are trying to achieve?

FranckyFox2468
Forum Regular

Post by FranckyFox2468 » Mon Dec 03, 2018 10:10 pm

Yeah that seems pretty close to what i am trying to do, but i wanted to experiment with teleportation cause this solution comes with the issue that things might get in the way as the enemy gets grappled, cause it would be kinda awkward you are trying to grab something but it just can't cause a character with a larget hitbox is in the way or something, thus why im looking for a formula for setactorposition.

But its a rather good start nevertheless, if i end up not going anywhere with my idea ill have a better look at yours and give you credits for it.

FranckyFox2468
Forum Regular

Post by FranckyFox2468 » Wed Dec 19, 2018 3:19 am

madcat wrote:
Mon Dec 03, 2018 7:24 pm
I see you are trying to make a Scorpion-like Grappling hook...I have tried a rather unorthodox method - its DECORATE-based ( the only ACS there is for using an ammo like a DECORATE expression ) - https://www.dropbox.com/s/guc5dbsg0lhft ... .wad?raw=1 - Summon GrapplingHookBall. Is it similar to what you are trying to achieve?
Say i have a question, is there some way to make it account the Y axis as well? For if the hook is launched from a high cliff and aimed to a monster at a lower level, make it go the same height as the projectile launcher