[WIP] Zombie Horde 2 - Devbuild v0.2.0

Maps, modifications, add-ons, projects, and other releases for Zandronum. Also includes announcers.
Fused
Contributor

[WIP] Zombie Horde 2 - Devbuild v0.2.0

Post by Fused » Tue Oct 16, 2018 11:28 am

Image Wikiv0.2.0Discord server Compatbility notice:

Zombie Horde 2 is a multiplayer mod for Zandronum. It uses the latest features of Zandronum and as of this moment it requires a special build not publicly released. A wiki was made for explanation on how to fetch the latest pipeline build, alongside other very important information such as running this mod with a fake iwad, and the order of the projects to run at. Click here for more information.

Zombie Horde 2 currently only exists in devbuilds, which exist for creation of your own maps. It is NOT a gameplay mod that should be used with other mappacks found online.

In Zombie Horde 2 you travel across the world and into dimensions to defend against Zombies.
Fight off the hordes of zombies in these places, and prevent yourself from getting infected until reaching either safety or cause the Zombies to succumb to the infection.
Do you have what it takes to win?

Zombie Horde 2 is a mod that has been in development for years by Xsnake, starting off as a simple passion project all the way back in 2010.
With vast features original gameplay, Zombie Horde has quickly a staple in the community with numerous servers containing an ever growing number of players.
Xsnake was very satisfied with how Zombie Horde turned out, and decided that it was time to pass the torch to somebody else to continue the work.
And now, the sequel is coming.

In Zombie Horde you play many different community and developer-made maps of many types.
As a human you will have to survive the hordes of zombies that come to infect and kill you.
As a Zombie, you infect everyone. No mercy.

Please note that Zombie Horde 2 is a total reboot. This means that the mod has been developed from the ground up, and will in no way be related to the code base of Zombie Horde by Xsnake.
To keep the post compact, the actual changes will not be listed as it is too much to point out.
Spoiler: Human weapons (Open)
Pump-action shotgun
Effective for medium damage at short range.
Fire: Fire an accurate 5-pellet shot at your target.
Alt-fire: A quick defense for close zombies. fires a wide-spread 5 pellet shot with quick cocking.

Double-barreled shotgun
Effective for medium damage and big knockback at short range.
Fire: Fire a devastating 20-pellet shot at your target, with massive knockback.
Alt-fire: Fire a single barrel with half the power.

Woundable chain gun
Effective up to medium range.
Fire: shoot many bullets at a high rate of fire. Effective for crowd control.
Alt-fire: preparatory wound up for quicker firing when needed

Bolt-action sniper
Highly effective up to high ranges.
Fire: Fire a deadly bolt for high damage, but slow firing rate.
Alt-fire: optionable zoom for higher ranges.

9mm pistol
As a last resort, when all else fails.
The pistol gives the humans greater speed.
Fire: Fire a small bullet for low damage but fairly high rate of fire and low knockback.
Spoiler: Human tools (Open)
Flame grenade
Great defense tool, can be thrown varied distances.
Fire: Unpin and steady. Hold longer for further throw.
Alt-Fire: Having second thoughts? You can always repin.

Jack's gun
The infamous gun from Jack, a real zombie killer.
Fire: Shoots a massive bullet, destroying everything it touches.
Spoiler: Zombie abilities (Open)
Push ability
Push away blocking obstacles with this ability

Acid-spit attack
A deadly spit. Damages, blinds and significantly slows down your target.
When this ability has fully cooled down, you will spit a bigger ball of acid.
Acid with a cooldown will have less effect on your target.

Lunge attack
Make a giant leap to your opponent. Distance can be modified.

Vision pulse ability
Gain knowledge of your target's positions and reveal those that hide from you.
Spoiler: Screenshots (Open)

Technical information / Developing your own map.

If you are interested in creating your own map then please consider joining my Discord server. You can find it in my signature, or click at the link at the bottom of the post.Note that the developmental build is not a ready to use project that works with any version of GZDoom/Zandronum. This project targets unreleased versions of Zandronum, and therefore it is important you read about how to set it up on the wiki.

I have played the old Zombie Horde up until beta 28 (zh-beta28). What can I expect to see upon release, which is different compared to the old version?
  • A mod remade with the latest features of Zandronum.
  • Improved visuals, from sprites to textures.
  • Responsive weaponry that allows you to switch between each weapon quickly.
  • The ability to toggle details if it's all too much to handle.
  • Beautiful new maps with improved scripting and features.
  • Old maps, remade for Zombie Horde 2, which received great visual improvements, scripting and bug fixing.
  • Extended modding potential.
  • Improved player handling.
  • An extended list of client and server configuration to configure the game to your liking.
  • Improved mapping features and tools, allowing making a map for Zombie Horde incredibly easy. (read post #3 on how to make your own map very easily)

To be added.

Honorable mention
  • Xsnake, for making all of this possible.
Thank you to all the present and future mappers and testers as well.

This mod will require at least Zandronum 3.2 to play. Check the compatibility notice!
This mod has been compiled using BCC.
This mod is made for OpenGL. Software mode has been supported to a certain playable extent, but we strongly encourage the use of OpenGL rendering to get the most out of everything.
If you are interested in creating your own map then please consider joining my Discord server. You can find it in my signature, or click at the link at the top of the post.

This thread will be updated frequently. Any criticism or feedback is appreciated.

Extra links
ZDoom thread
Last edited by Fused on Sun Feb 11, 2024 1:46 pm, edited 58 times in total.

Fused
Contributor

[WIP] Zombie Horde 2

Post by Fused » Tue Oct 16, 2018 11:31 am

Reserved
Last edited by Fused on Tue Feb 06, 2024 8:57 am, edited 9 times in total.

Fused
Contributor

[WIP] Zombie Horde 2

Post by Fused » Tue Oct 16, 2018 11:33 am

Reserved
Last edited by Fused on Sat Feb 03, 2024 1:12 pm, edited 10 times in total.

Zakken
Frequent Poster Miles card holder
Clan: Power Fragging
Clan Tag: [PF]

[WIP] Re: Zombie Horde 2

Post by Zakken » Wed Oct 17, 2018 1:08 am

We live in a timeline where Zombie Horde 2 came about before Despacito 2 and Fortnite 2 and for that, we are truly blessed.

I assume ZH2 will be a standalone mod not to be used together with ZH1, right? What will become of ZH1's various mapsets?

Fused
Contributor

Post by Fused » Wed Oct 17, 2018 6:40 am

Zakken wrote:
Wed Oct 17, 2018 1:08 am
We live in a timeline where Zombie Horde 2 came about before Despacito 2 and Fortnite 2 and for that, we are truly blessed.

I assume ZH2 will be a standalone mod not to be used together with ZH1, right? What will become of ZH1's various mapsets?
ZH2 is standalone. ZH2 was based of the unreleased ZH-Beta29, but everything has either be remade or improved.
The mapset is also remade, or the maps that will be released anyways. I plan on releasing a mappack with the old maps, but it requires me to rewrite its code.
If people would really want this, I can do a big chunk before release. Otherwise I will stick to releasing updated maps first, which of I already have plenty almost done.
My mods
Image Image

My socials
Image Image

fr blood

Post by fr blood » Wed Oct 17, 2018 11:52 am

Too bad holidays are over already, it was the best period to try out Zombie Horde, now the servers are dead again.

NeonLights95
Registered just to make one post

Post by NeonLights95 » Wed Oct 17, 2018 3:37 pm

I like the look of this mod. But I may want to be a tester, not a mapper.
I'm a newcomer here and I only gather resources.

Zheg

Post by Zheg » Sat Oct 20, 2018 2:50 am

yes please revive this
i hope you can bring old maps like ghost town
and grenade jumps lol
good old times

Poto
New User

Post by Poto » Fri Oct 26, 2018 1:41 pm

We should wait for December

Fused
Contributor

Post by Fused » Sat Jun 15, 2019 12:57 pm

Hello everyone, this post is a bit overdue, but as most probably already realized, Zombie Horde 2 is on a bit of a hold in terms of progress. While the mod is very close to finished, I simply can't take time and effort into developing the mod right now, especially since the mod seems to suffer from the engine not being able to handle certain features. This really isn't the mods problem as far as I know, as these crashed pretty much happen at random. If I was able to fix these, I'm sure the mod would get somewhere. But as it stands right now, I'm going to keep this mod on hold until I either find a way to fix this, or GZdoom gets proper multiplayer support (which right now seems more realistic).

I'm sorry if people really anticipated this mod. If anybody would like to participate in a fix for this major issue, then they are free to help. But as it is right now I'm not too motivated to fix this, especially since I already ran into a lot of walls before with development.
My mods
Image Image

My socials
Image Image

Zakken

Post by Zakken » Mon Jun 17, 2019 4:31 pm

That is very unfortunate, but such is the direction that Zandronum modding in general is headed to, what with the port's painfully slow development cycle and all. Here's to hoping this situation changes ASAP...

Fused
Contributor

[WIP] Re: Zombie Horde 2 is coming

Post by Fused » Sun Aug 20, 2023 8:05 am

Seven and a half years ago, I was asked by Xsnake to continue the development of Zombie Horde and become its new developer. In those seven and a half years, a lot has happened. One of these things is the fact that the project as a whole had to be put on hold for the time being. With this post I would like to announce that this project is no longer on hold, and it is officially back in development!

Yesterday, the Youtuber Br0leg released its next version of Floppy Disk Mod, and this includes my contribution by adding a variant of Zombie Horde 2.
It should be noted that this is a very watered down version since it made no sense to include more. This is a version with just the core gameplay, played on an escape map and a survival map. The most important thing is that this is the first big step at testing the new core system of Zombie Horde which has been rebuild from the ground up. I'm happy to say that this was a very big success and everybody enjoyed it. Floppy Disk Mod always gathers many players and it is the perfect way to truly test everything. While there is no guarantee that this version will be updated further, it was the first real step at building the true next iteration of Zombie Horde.

These years I have learned a lot, and with Zandronum seemingly improving each day it is time to give everybody the project that they are looking for. For the time being, the initial three posts have been stripped of any direct guarantees and previews since the project has shifted quite a bit in the vision that was initially set. I will update this thread with a proper post when I am ready to do so. For now, there is a long list that I will have to check off before I can share anything else.

Zakken

[WIP] Re: Zombie Horde 2 is coming

Post by Zakken » Sat Sep 09, 2023 2:18 am

Exciting news for sure! Long live ZH!

Fused
Contributor

[WIP] Re: Zombie Horde 2 - Join the Discord!

Post by Fused » Fri Sep 22, 2023 11:39 am

With the growing development of Zombie Horde 2 and relatable projects I have decided to create a Discord server for people to join.
If you're interested in following the development of Zombie Horde 2, but also other Doom projects including upcoming ones, then feel free to join.
click here
My mods
Image Image

My socials
Image Image

Jetx121
Registered just to make one post

Post by Jetx121 » Mon Oct 30, 2023 2:20 am

oh WOW!!!! didn't know Zombie Horde 2 was back in development, i will start migrating my (a bit abandoned lately) ZH mappack to this when it's finished 👀👀👀👀

Fused
Contributor

Post by Fused » Tue Oct 31, 2023 8:09 pm

Jetx121 wrote:
Mon Oct 30, 2023 2:20 am
oh WOW!!!! didn't know Zombie Horde 2 was back in development, i will start migrating my (a bit abandoned lately) ZH mappack to this when it's finished 👀👀👀👀
I'm glad to hear you are excited! There have been a handful of people who started to contribute to Zombie Horde and just like with them I am more than happy to provide you with an early devbuild to help you get started with developing or migrating your map, as there is currently no fixed date when the first version is actually being released. Please mind that due to the majority of differences compared to the original Zombie Horde, migrating your map can be a longer process than you might expect. I am planning on setting up a wiki page in the near future to help with this but in the meantime I can personally share required information and even some tools to easily migrate the various textures and actors to a new version. Perhaps you can join the Discord or send your username so I can send you the files, as I am not looking at the forums often.
My mods
Image Image

My socials
Image Image

Fused
Contributor

[WIP] Re: Zombie Horde 2 - Devbuild v0.1.0

Post by Fused » Sat Feb 03, 2024 1:19 pm

Devbuild v0.1.0

After a very long development cycle (which technically lasted 6 years) Zombie Horde 2 has finally come to a point where it is considered to be feature complete and ready to be used for development of maps. This has been a long time coming obviously, and I am very happy to say that as of right now you can download developmental builds which can be used to develop your own map. I have spend a lot of hours ensuring that developing your own map is as easy as it gets, and this includes the creation of a wiki page which explains in detail how to develop your map, including steps to migrate old maps.

Wiki
The wiki exists as the main entrypoint to development and you should definitely spend some time looking through this if you plan on creating your own map.
Click here

Devbuilds
You can download the developmental build here, or through the wiki when taking steps in developing your own map.
Click here

The initial post has been updated with this information.
My mods
Image Image

My socials
Image Image

Fused
Contributor

[WIP] Re: Zombie Horde 2 - Devbuild v0.2.0

Post by Fused » Sun Feb 11, 2024 1:41 pm

Zombie Horde 2 Devbuild v0.2.0
  • Added a collection of Doom 2 textures which can be used to develop a new or existing map. Note some textures were not included as these do not fit a Zombie Horde map. Some textures were modified to allow their decals to be reused on other textures. These special textures can be found in the `special` folder which is part of the collection.
  • Fixed an issue where the majority of lens flares would not properly brighten up.
  • Renamed a few textures which were using an inconsistent naming pattern.
  • Fixed an issue with the ACSUtils generated ACS file which caused a few compiler errors.
This release aims to fix the gap in textures that existed as many existing Zombie Horde maps actually use quite a bit of Doom 2 textures. With this release this gap is hopefully fixed and these maps can now properly migrate. Note the migration tool is also being worked on and especially a lot of the more fine textures might have been changed in some way which causes this tool to ignore them. I will address these in a future version.

Zombie Horde 2 Migration tools v1.1.0
  • Added migrations for Doom 2 textures

Download Devbuild v0.2.0
Download Migration tools v1.1.0

The wiki was also updated. The wiki now explains more clearly about the required configuration when it comes to developing for or playing with Zombie Horde 2. Always make sure to read the wiki when something is not clear.
https://github.com/RoyDefined/ZombieHorde2/wiki
My mods
Image Image

My socials
Image Image