Can't use volume keys in full screen on Ubuntu Linux

General help and assistance forum.
MrBoomer
New User

Can't use volume keys in full screen on Ubuntu Linux

Post by MrBoomer » Mon Apr 02, 2018 12:09 am

I'm having a problem where if I go into full screen, I can't use the keys on my laptop keyboard to adjust the volume. I have to exit full screen, and then it works. It's a little tedious, so I was wondering if there is a work around to this? I'm Ubuntu 17.10 if that helps give any insight.

BlushBerry

Clan: Nuclear Empire
Clan Tag: [NE]

Re: Can't use volume keys in full screen on Ubuntu Linux

Post by BlushBerry » Sat Apr 14, 2018 4:37 am

I use linux as well. I can't say I've had the same issue as you. But I would reccommend instead as a work around try making some sort of alias script in which you can set snd_sfxvolume and sfx_musvolume (I think thats the cvar?) to decrease with buttons. Good luck though! Any reason btw if I may ask why you're using a non LTS version of ubuntu (Not that it's a bad thing or anything, Just in my experience generally better to use LTS versions if you prefer stability)

MrBoomer
New User

Re: Can't use volume keys in full screen on Ubuntu Linux

Post by MrBoomer » Sun Apr 22, 2018 2:43 pm

Polygon wrote:
Sat Apr 14, 2018 4:37 am
I use linux as well. I can't say I've had the same issue as you. But I would reccommend instead as a work around try making some sort of alias script in which you can set snd_sfxvolume and sfx_musvolume (I think thats the cvar?) to decrease with buttons. Good luck though! Any reason btw if I may ask why you're using a non LTS version of ubuntu (Not that it's a bad thing or anything, Just in my experience generally better to use LTS versions if you prefer stability)
I'm not very technical and have not a clue what an alias script is. I will look into that though. It turns out that this issue has happened to other Linux gamers on steam games, and there's really no easy fix according to this Ubuntu forum: https://askubuntu.com/questions/257567/ ... ntrol-keys. The reason why you might not experience this issue is maybe because you use external speakers to control your volume? And to answer your question of why I use the latest Ubuntu release is because I really don't have any issues with it. The issue I described here happened to me on Ubuntu LTS too, so it isn't really a version specific issue. I also like the latest GNOME desktop better than Unity.