Zandronum moving forward

killall -9

Moderator: Developers

Larz1695
New User

Zandronum moving forward

Post by Larz1695 » Fri Apr 13, 2018 3:41 pm

I've been looking through posts to find any news on future Zandronum work. Can anyone point me in the right direction?

Torr Samaho
Lead Developer

Re: Zandronum moving forward

Post by Torr Samaho » Sun Apr 15, 2018 5:30 pm

Short term, we are working on 3.1 to take care of the issues that arose with the large changes brought with 3.0. Development is going somewhat slowly at the moment though. Long term, we are considering to merge with GZDoom. There is a thread about this somewhere, but it's not clear yet whether this will happen or not.

Eagle
New User

Post by Eagle » Sun Apr 15, 2018 6:40 pm

In GZDOOM is no powerup spread. And after merge it will not be anywhere?

Torr Samaho
Lead Developer

Post by Torr Samaho » Sun Apr 15, 2018 7:04 pm

In case we merge, we'd still try to preserve everything Zandronum has now, including the spread rune. Keeping Zandronum as a "light fork" of GZDoom would be an option to keep things that are not suitable to be included in GZDoom.

Fused
Contributor

Post by Fused » Mon Apr 16, 2018 7:36 am

Is this merge really happening though? I have only heard there were talks, but this has been months ago and it sounds like nothing is happening at all.
Zandronum is currently many years behind because it is constantly trying to balance with GZDoom's features, but all this does is making it worse. I really hope this merge is happening soon, because the amount of features we cannot use because of the lack of development really sucks and it just makes zandronum incredibly irrelevant despite having great client->server features.
My mods
Image Image

My socials
Image Image

Empyre
Zandrone

Post by Empyre » Mon Apr 16, 2018 8:59 pm

If the merger happens, it is going to take a megaton of work. I wouldn't expect it to be finished for several years. Zandronum is not many years behind GZDoom. It is only a few to several years behind, unlike certain ports that are stubbornly sticking with ZDoom 1.2 from 1999.
"For the world is hollow, and I have touched the sky."

The Toxic Avenger
Forum Staff
Clan: ???
Clan Tag: [???]

Post by The Toxic Avenger » Mon Apr 16, 2018 10:38 pm

Fused wrote:
Mon Apr 16, 2018 7:36 am
Is this merge really happening though? I have only heard there were talks, but this has been months ago and it sounds like nothing is happening at all.
I assure you, it's going to happen, but it's going to happen at a slow pace. Don't expect anything super soon.

Larz1695
New User

Post by Larz1695 » Tue Apr 17, 2018 3:33 pm

Considering ZDOOM has ceased further development, wouldn't it only be logical to merge or fork with GZDOOM? I mean after Zandro is synced with the last build of ZDOOM, what else would there be to do for the development of Zandro?

Torr Samaho
Lead Developer

Post by Torr Samaho » Sun Apr 22, 2018 7:31 am

Fused wrote:
Mon Apr 16, 2018 7:36 am
What is different now from when we first discussed this is that GZDoom started to work on a c/s version, see the clientserver branch of the GZDoom repo.
Larz1695 wrote:
Tue Apr 17, 2018 3:33 pm
Considering ZDOOM has ceased further development, wouldn't it only be logical to merge or fork with GZDOOM?
FYI, Zandronum has always been a fork of GZDoom, not ZDoom.
Larz1695 wrote:
Tue Apr 17, 2018 3:33 pm
I mean after Zandro is synced with the last build of ZDOOM, what else would there be to do for the development of Zandro?
The problem is that the client/server code must be taken into account by GZDoom when adding new things and this will only happen if GZDoom itself has c/s. Otherwise, one has to constantly adapt GZDoom's changes to Zandronum's c/s architecture, which is a lot of work, but I did this for many years now. With ZScript this is not really possible anymore though. Our c/s approach is not really compatible with it.

Death Egg

Post by Death Egg » Mon Apr 23, 2018 7:01 am

Torr Samaho wrote:
Sun Apr 15, 2018 5:30 pm
Short term, we are working on 3.1 to take care of the issues that arose with the large changes brought with 3.0. Development is going somewhat slowly at the moment though. Long term, we are considering to merge with GZDoom. There is a thread about this somewhere, but it's not clear yet whether this will happen or not.
I was just looking up information on that and stumbled on the topic you're likely talking about.

I really hope this happens sooner than later, so here's to a quick 3.1 release. I feel like it'd get both(?) ports a lot more traction, not having to deal with choosing between more advanced features or good multiplayer. It'd make recommending Doom easier to friends too, not having to explain the difference between the two ports and make it seem confusing.