GDA Winter 2018 Rules and Sign-ups

Official sub-forum for the GDA CTF League. Signups are now open!

Moderator: Global Doom Association

Zakken
Frequent Poster Miles card holder
Clan: Power Fragging
Clan Tag: [PF]

Re: GDA Winter 2018 Rules and Sign-ups

Post by Zakken » Tue Dec 12, 2017 11:33 pm

Signing up GhostKiller

Name: GhOsTKiLLeR / Killstr1ke / BloodbaTh
Preferred contact: Discord , battlenet , steam
Regular availability: monday-friday after 2 p.m est , weekend all day
Last edited by Zakken on Sat Dec 30, 2017 8:22 pm, edited 3 times in total.

souler
Registered just to make one post

Post by souler » Wed Dec 13, 2017 5:53 pm

Souler
Mexico
CST
Irc - Quakenet #WDL - Zandronum #Zandronum
Avail: Nights, weekends

Langrenus

Post by Langrenus » Wed Dec 13, 2017 7:31 pm

Name: Langrenus
Preferred contact: irc.zandronum.com #zgda
Regular availability: Most evenings
Last edited by Langrenus on Sat Dec 16, 2017 10:20 am, edited 1 time in total.

Zakken

Post by Zakken » Thu Dec 14, 2017 2:44 am

Name: Zakken
Preferred contact: irc.zandronum.com #zgda
Regular availability: Evenings

Zakken

Post by Zakken » Thu Dec 14, 2017 11:47 pm

Signing up Denzoa. Is it too hard for you dumbasses not to get banned from the forums?????

Name: Denzoa
Preferred contact: IRC, Facebook, Teamspeak, Discord
Regular availability: Mostly evenings

Dragon
Forum Regular

Post by Dragon » Sat Dec 16, 2017 3:44 pm

Signing up Wartorn.

Name: Wartorn
Preferred Contact: Discord - Wartorn#0698
Regular Availability: 6 PM CST - onwards. For earlier let me know in advance so I can adjust accordingly if possible

Withdrawn
Last edited by Dragon on Tue Dec 26, 2017 11:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

RoSKing

Post by RoSKing » Sun Dec 17, 2017 1:07 pm

Name: RoSKing
Preferred Contact: IRC/Discord
Regular Availability: 2 Days Off/Week, Home after work @ 10pm EST

Zakken

Post by Zakken » Sun Dec 17, 2017 7:05 pm

Signing up Starrk

Name: Starrk
Preferred contact: QuakeNet #wdl Zandro #renegades
Regular availability: After 6pm est weekdays and free all weekend

Matiu
Posts a lot
Clan: FS (ZD)
Clan Tag: Your Pal

Post by Matiu » Fri Dec 22, 2017 3:23 am

Name: Cryomancer/MetalGuy
Preferred Contact: Discord MetalGuy2018/MetalGuy#6552 - ZDaemon IRC #ducks / Zandronum IRC #tspg
Regular Availability: Weekends.

Anes

Clan: Renegaydes
Clan Tag: [R]

Post by Anes » Fri Dec 22, 2017 3:32 am

Greetings and salutations friends

Name: Goblin
preferred contact: irc/discord/teamspeak
reg availabilty: weekends free, weekdays around 11 pm est

Armour

Post by Armour » Fri Dec 22, 2017 4:56 pm

Name: Armour
Preferred contact: IRC
Regular availability: Evenings and weekends

Zakken

Post by Zakken » Tue Dec 26, 2017 1:31 am

Signing up SkullRush

Name:SkullRush
Preferred contact irc.zandronum.com #LF
Avail - Weekdays after 2pm EST, Weekends after 5pm EST

Weltall_ID

Post by Weltall_ID » Wed Dec 27, 2017 1:11 am

Name: Weltall_ID
CST
Irc - Quakenet #WDL - Zandronum #Zandronum (with souler's help)
Avail: Nights, weekends

Zakken

Post by Zakken » Thu Dec 28, 2017 7:40 am

IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT

Many players, most of which are already signed up for GDA, were quite displeased with Zandronum 3.0, what with its questionable netcode affecting them to varying degrees and all (as Decay aptly put it, a downgrade from its previous release by every metric). We at the GDA should always do all in our power to uphold the competitive integrity of our platform, as to encourage those already signed up to stick around, and attract interest from onlookers.

With that in mind, I've made a gamble and ran a test session of the 3.1 alpha version of the port on a server generously provided by Water, with a dozen CTF priv regulars, to see if it featured any improvements over 3.0. I'm happy to say that, much to our pleasure, feedback was unanimously positive from our testers. 3.1 alpha is a much-needed step in the right direction for Zandronum, and even though it's far from perfection, it's an objectively better environment that will suffice for our competitive needs at this time. As such, we will certainly give it our full support going forward.

GDA Winter 2018 will officially be ran on Zandronum 3.1 Alpha by default, with Water's server located in New York to become the new default server for GDA matches. This change doesn't come without its challenges, of course, and I apologise for asking all players to take extra measures to be able to play, but we assure you it is a worthwhile change. I'd also like to thank AlexMax for going through the trouble of hosting 3.0 GDA servers for us before this decision was made!!
Spoiler: HOW TO GET ZANDRONUM 3.1 UP AND RUNNING (Open)
Step 1: Download 3.1 alpha from one of the following links.
Windows:
https://jenkins.csnxs.uk/job/zandronum- ... windows.7z

Linux 64-bit:
https://jenkins.csnxs.uk/job/zandronum- ... dbg.tar.xz
https://jenkins.csnxs.uk/job/zandronum- ... _64.tar.xz

Step 2: Unzip the zipped file's contents in a SEPARATE folder from Zandronum 3.0. Do NOT overwrite the 3.0 folder!

Step 3: Copy over your Zandronum 3.0 announcer sub-folder and config file ( "zandronum-username.ini" ) and paste them in the 3.1 folder. Not doing so will require you to play without announcers and set all your options up from scratch. We don't want that. :razz:

Step 4: Change the path to zandronum.exe path in Doom Explorer or Doomseeker, pointing it to your 3.1 client instead. You must also DISABLE their built-in Zandronum testing features, as the 3.1 alpha build of our choice is not an official release.

Step 5: The official GDA server available for private CTF right now is located at 45.55.217.171:10666. The password is gdatest.
We look forward to seeing you there!

Galactus
Forum Regular

Post by Galactus » Thu Dec 28, 2017 10:23 am

You mean the ridiculous mouse lag that comes with 3.1 is an improvement? I don't know where this positive consensus comes from and to be fair I've only played for one game, but in that one game the opinion of most people seemed to be rather negative or indifferent.
Last edited by Galactus on Thu Dec 28, 2017 2:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Ru5tK1ng

Post by Ru5tK1ng » Thu Dec 28, 2017 1:14 pm

3.1 is only a step better than 3.0 because you're still going to get jitters especially during chaotic matches like in CTF. The reason is because the ticket outlined here hasn't been fixed yet: https://zandronum.com/forum/viewtopic.p ... 40#p109795

Additionally, running a beta/untested version for the league seems like a good idea? I have to laugh at history repeating itself. For those who don't remember, the 3rd season of IDL on Odamex did just that and it was just as painful as the previous 2 before it. But hey, if that's what people think they want, then they can receive it. Just expect whining over the version when people start losing.

IdeIdoom
Zandrone

Post by IdeIdoom » Thu Dec 28, 2017 3:40 pm

Galactus wrote:
Thu Dec 28, 2017 10:23 am
You mean the ridiculous mouse lag that comes with 3.1 is an improvement? I don't know where this positive consensus comes from and to be fair I've only played for one game, but in that one game the opinion of most people seemed to be rather negative or indifferent.
People tested it and it got generally positive feedback before the decision was made. Zakken and OurHero say that it has a better hit detection and some other stuff while I'm rather indifferent about it.
Dragon and I tested it with the result of "nothing's changed."
Take it as you will. You can talk to them to get a better idea of what (else) has changed.
THE ROMANIAN POWERImage

Code: Select all

<+Dastan>	edd
<+Dastan>	boxxy skin when
<+Shift>	dastan you really want to fap at it this much and now you are going crazy and shredding your hair into a million tiny pieces for this boxxy skin to come out that way you can cum out
<+Dastan>	Shift, yes
--------------------------------------------------------------------
21:53:26  <@Estar>	well, if i'd be a girl, i would say ideidoom has ok looks

Zakken

Post by Zakken » Thu Dec 28, 2017 7:41 pm

Galactus wrote:
You mean the ridiculous mouse lag that comes with 3.1 is an improvement?
Nobody who tested with me that night had any such issues.
Galactus wrote:
I don't know where this positive consensus comes from and to be fair I've only played for one game, but in that one game the opinion of most people seemed to be rather negative or indifferent.
It's odd how people gave it so much praise one night only for others to seemingly bash it the night after. Just in case, I'll have Water auto-restart the servers every 24 hours as to mitigate possible server bugs.
Ru5tK1ng wrote:
Thu Dec 28, 2017 1:14 pm
Additionally, running a beta/untested version for the league seems like a good idea? I have to laugh at history repeating itself. For those who don't remember, the 3rd season of IDL on Odamex did just that and it was just as painful as the previous 2 before it. But hey, if that's what people think they want, then they can receive it. Just expect whining over the version when people start losing.
I'm far too aware of the problems that lie ahead, but it's arguably better than the alternative. Whether it's the NY server or 3.1 that made things better for everyone, we will see tonight. But NJ 3.0 is a no-no from us.

Regardless of which server or version we follow through, there will be some outrage, which really can't be helped. The goal here is to find the best platform among the options we have, that caters to the majority of our playerbase and the GDA staff. We decided to make the switch to 3.1 because we didn't humour the possibility that the server switch alone could change the game's functionality for everybody (which we will test tonight and see for ourselves), because after all, regardless of locale, Zandronum is still Zandronum, and I've always seen everybody complain about 3.0 rather than NJ itself. We also moved to NY because Alex himself is unable to put up 3.1 Alpha servers.

EDIT: 3.0 is at fault after all, as expected. Nothing to do with the servers in question. I stand by what I said about 3.1 being objectively better.

Razgriz
Forum Staff

Post by Razgriz » Fri Dec 29, 2017 12:30 am

You want the best platform? 2.1.2, at the very least it is the version least affected by watermelon code.

Tai

Post by Tai » Fri Dec 29, 2017 8:05 pm

Ru5tK1ng wrote:
Thu Dec 28, 2017 1:14 pm
3.1 is only a step better than 3.0 because you're still going to get jitters especially during chaotic matches like in CTF. The reason is because the ticket outlined here hasn't been fixed yet: https://zandronum.com/forum/viewtopic.p ... 40#p109795

3.1 is noticeably better to me. For Odamex, the only thing I can think of that's actually been fixed in a while is the flag dropping into oblivion. To me, I feel it's a reach to compare 3.1 to something to Odamex in that fashion.

Actually I'll say this; apparently my anti-virus software doesn't like 3.1, and it was a pain to workaround. Apart from THAT, once I actually got into Zandronum 3.1, yes it was better than 3.0. But fix whatever is triggering my anti-virus software lol.