What's up in the Doom community these days?

Off-topic chat. Real talk.
guydudeperson
New User
Clan Tag: NT

What's up in the Doom community these days?

Post by guydudeperson » Thu Aug 10, 2017 5:20 am

Anything cool going on? Maps mods news or anything not sure what I'm asking for what's good

Zakken
Frequent Poster Miles card holder
Clan: Power Fragging
Clan Tag: [PF]

Re: What's up in the Doom community these days?

Post by Zakken » Thu Aug 10, 2017 7:56 am

TerminusEst13's High Noon Drifter came out recently, and it's pretty solid. A new update for Russian Overkill was released a couple of months back.

A few notable map releases that we've seen this year include Stardate 20X7 and TNT: Revilution. Most well-anticipated mappacks tend to release later in the year anyway, so rest assured we'll be seeing more quality releases by the time the Cacowards come about.

And lastly, Zandronum update delays, I guess.

Ivan
Addicted to Zandronum

Post by Ivan » Thu Aug 10, 2017 2:03 pm

Zakken wrote: A few notable map releases that we've seen this year include Stardate 20X7 and TNT: Revilution
Ok those are interesting. Thanks for sharing.
=== RAGNAROK DM ON ... uh... dead forever? ===
=== ALWAYS BET ON ... uh... dead forever? ===
=== Who wanta sum wang? ===
=== Death and Decay - A new Monster/Weapon replacer ===

nax
Lead Administrator

Post by nax » Fri Aug 11, 2017 1:34 am

Some zandrocentric modding has slowed as 3.0 nears and is waiting for the dust to settle on what will be involved in the final version. I have no doubt there will be more happening when it arrives. As for things like mapping, I'm sure based on some of the initiatives we will be taking in the near future that we will see more releases get crossposted on here as well as the forums they generally originate on. We'll see!

guydudeperson
New User
Clan Tag: NT

Post by guydudeperson » Fri Aug 11, 2017 4:09 am

Is anything competitive ever happening or it still chill in a server and wait to see if anything happens? Complex doom is cool for solo but thems the only servers i usually see going.

I look forward to checking those wads out. I'd kinda like to map myself but it's been awhile.

Vulpeka
Under Moderation
Clan: Princess Perfect Pee
Clan Tag: -</{[]}\>-

Post by Vulpeka » Fri Aug 11, 2017 4:45 am

Competitive has never really lifted off because all the competitive people get in one or two clans beat like 50 people who cant play and then brag that they are the best.

Competitive players have to teach players not to suck then there will be a competitive scene.

Its like going to school competitive players are 12th graders and everyone else is in 6th grade.
I remind myself how I am just simply Trapped~ LKING FR A MMMY

Craving that Gentle Touch

I'm not a fucking millennial I don't take the internet seriously!

Zakken

Post by Zakken » Fri Aug 11, 2017 5:17 am

guydudeperson wrote:Is anything competitive ever happening or it still chill in a server and wait to see if anything happens?
Nothing going on in Zandro right now, outside of the occasional priv session. Playoffs for season 4 of ZCL (ZDaemon CTF League) are happening currently, and there's a new season for WDL (Odamex) coming up next month.
Vulpeka wrote:Competitive has never really lifted off because all the competitive people get in one or two clans beat like 50 people who cant play and then brag that they are the best.
The big issue is not even clan disparity. People should be allowed to join whatever clans they can and like, after all; that's the whole beauty of it. Forcing people to spread themselves across a variety of clans against their will has only resulted in numerous clan hops and clan deaths.
Vulpeka wrote:Competitive players have to teach players not to suck then there will be a competitive scene.

Its like going to school competitive players are 12th graders and everyone else is in 6th grade.
I don't think skill gaps are as much of a problem as you make them sound, but bad attitude is definitely one of the more glaring issues at the moment. Not something that can be easily resolved either, I'm afraid.

Vulpeka
Under Moderation

Post by Vulpeka » Fri Aug 11, 2017 5:42 am

Zakken wrote:
guydudeperson wrote:Is anything competitive ever happening or it still chill in a server and wait to see if anything happens?
Nothing going on in Zandro right now, outside of the occasional priv session. Playoffs for season 4 of ZCL (ZDaemon CTF League) are happening currently, and there's a new season for WDL (Odamex) coming up next month.
Vulpeka wrote:Competitive has never really lifted off because all the competitive people get in one or two clans beat like 50 people who cant play and then brag that they are the best.
The big issue is not even clan disparity. People should be allowed to join whatever clans they can and like, after all; that's the whole beauty of it. Forcing people to spread themselves across a variety of clans against their will has only resulted in numerous clan hops and clan deaths.
Vulpeka wrote:Competitive players have to teach players not to suck then there will be a competitive scene.

I don't think skill gaps are as much of a problem as you make them sound, but bad attitude is definitely one of the more glaring issues at the moment. Not something that can be easily resolved either, I'm afraid.
Clan deaths only stated happening because of mass clan hopping. Basically there was an upsurge in clans with out REAL LEADERSHIP policing anything.

There are a lot of tricks most probably don't work anymore. But people have been exploiting doom since it launched there are Console Commands and Glitches which are a staple to competitive play. There is a skill gap failure to recognize something doesn't mean it doesn't exist.

The competitive people getting all into 1 or 2 clans is a great example of bad attitude. I remember years ago they would all gang up on people and constantly troll your forums or your servers. They would always pick on clans that couldn't defend themselves and force scrims out of people.

The problem is simply respect everyone. Players that have been here a while know that. I may have been gone but not much has changed.

Zakken

Post by Zakken » Sat Aug 12, 2017 12:52 am

People clan hopping is a difficult thing to pin the blame on, because everyone had their own reasons for leaving one clan to join another. There were also many clans that were poorly managed and had no incentive to stay in. I'd been on both ends of that situation.

The few clans that were alive then and are still alive today only thrived through organised and impactful leadership.
Vulpeka wrote:There are a lot of tricks most probably don't work anymore. But people have been exploiting doom since it launched there are Console Commands and Glitches which are a staple to competitive play. There is a skill gap failure to recognize something doesn't mean it doesn't exist.
Doom isn't that complicated of a game. Different, sure, but it probably takes you only a couple of months to nail the basics; there aren't that many tricks you need to learn to be a good player. A lot of what makes a strong player really comes down to your reaction time, precision and mental game. The skill gap issue can be mitigated by actually being nice and supportive to those still trying to get good and giving them opportunities to improve.
Vulpeka wrote:The problem is simply respect everyone. Players that have been here a while know that. I may have been gone but not much has changed.
Yes!!

Vulpeka
Under Moderation

Post by Vulpeka » Sat Aug 12, 2017 1:05 am

Zakken wrote:Doom isn't that complicated of a game. Different, sure, but it probably takes you only a couple of months to nail the basics; there aren't that many tricks you need to learn to be a good player. A lot of what makes a strong player really comes down to your reaction time, precision and mental game. The skill gap issue can be mitigated by actually being nice and supportive to those still trying to get good and giving them opportunities to improve.
Yes! my example was going to be sr40 if it still exists.

Catastrophe
Retired Staff / Community Team Member

Post by Catastrophe » Sat Aug 12, 2017 1:23 am

Vulpeka wrote:Clan deaths only stated happening because of mass clan hopping. Basically there was an upsurge in clans with out REAL LEADERSHIP policing anything.
Yep. This is precisely why I avoid letting clan hoppers join like a plague. Don't even care if you're good at doom, just don't be a hopper.

Ivan
Addicted to Zandronum

Post by Ivan » Sat Aug 12, 2017 1:45 am

Catastrophe wrote:
Vulpeka wrote:Clan deaths only stated happening because of mass clan hopping. Basically there was an upsurge in clans with out REAL LEADERSHIP policing anything.
Yep. This is precisely why I avoid letting clan hoppers join like a plague. Don't even care if you're good at doom, just don't be a hopper.
Was that why swiftshot was in? He was the most notorious hopper...
=== RAGNAROK DM ON ... uh... dead forever? ===
=== ALWAYS BET ON ... uh... dead forever? ===
=== Who wanta sum wang? ===
=== Death and Decay - A new Monster/Weapon replacer ===

Vulpeka
Under Moderation

Post by Vulpeka » Sat Aug 12, 2017 1:51 am

Ivan wrote:
Catastrophe wrote:
Well you can always change your name. Anyone can be anyone.

Combinebobnt

Post by Combinebobnt » Sat Aug 12, 2017 2:06 am

damn poor community

Vulpeka
Under Moderation

Post by Vulpeka » Sat Aug 12, 2017 2:08 am

I blame high sugar cereal and too much Saturday morning cartoons.

Samurai
Clan: Lost Faction
Clan Tag: [LF]

Post by Samurai » Sat Aug 12, 2017 9:51 am

Ivan wrote:
Catastrophe wrote:

I bribe him, $20 a week for the privilege to be in I. All the doom nudes he wants too!

Catastrophe

Post by Catastrophe » Sat Aug 12, 2017 10:52 am

Ivan wrote:
Catastrophe wrote:
Yeah, was.

Vulpeka
Under Moderation

Post by Vulpeka » Sat Aug 12, 2017 6:21 pm

To be honest there's just not a lot of people in the community. That's why there's Clan hopping because with a community so small and with everybody trying to have a clan there's just not enough to go around.

And as I said with the fact that there isn't a login system with a static name. I think Zdemon has something like that people are allowed to change their names freely.

Anyone remember Clan imposters? That was the problem before people like my brother decided to make everybody Clan hoppers, but there's a difference between the two.

Mobius
Banned
Location: The center of the A3's controversial and machiavellian conspiracy
Clan: Cube
Clan Tag: Aᵌ
Banned: Permanently

Post by Mobius » Sat Aug 12, 2017 8:37 pm

Clan hopppers has nothing to do with the size and more to do with attention span. Players don't give a shit about brand recognition they only care about themselves and their own self promotion. It's whatever is cool at the moment people follow, and this community suffers from a serious case of fad diarrhea.
dewsome: i can do this all day
dewsome: do you think you're somehow special? i spent years arguing with nostar, jenova, mobius
<+Thomas13> Mobius u r inferior, go outside and get beaten up
Alfonzo ~ "I wonder who will hear him trash talk when the dirt closes over him?"

Vulpeka
Under Moderation

Post by Vulpeka » Sat Aug 12, 2017 9:54 pm

Mobius wrote:Clan hopppers has nothing to do with the size and more to do with attention span. Players don't give a shit about brand recognition they only care about themselves and their own self promotion. It's whatever is cool at the moment people follow, and this community suffers from a serious case of fad diarrhea.
It's why I miss the old days before all the fads when your clan was actually like a family. Now I've been only in a few Clans like that but some Clans really make the game worth playing.

And fad diarrhea is everywhere! It's existed in skulltag and zandronum for a long time. The way you counter it is you get people out of their comfort zone and you get them to play new wads and gamemodes.

When I think of fad diarrhea I think of fad wads and fad pwads.

Hell I remember back in the day when I used to play. When I would join a server I wouldn't have to download more than two to three wads now it's like six or seven.