killall -9

Moderator: Developers

HeX9109
Retired Staff / Community Team Member
Clan: UniDoom
Clan Tag: [UD]

Remove M_Multi?

Post by HeX9109 » Sat Jun 02, 2012 5:02 pm

Myself and a few others agreed it might be a good idea to remove M_Multi since it is really unnecessary and breaks the menus of non zdoom wads that support custom menus (av.wad and icarus.wad come to mind).

Perhaps M_Multi should be removed entirely, and "Multiplayer" should be in Options under "Online Options"

Offline Skirmish can be removed entirely or put under Load Game because it can all be done faster with the console anyway.

The Server Browser can be commented out entirely because it is balls.
Like a good neighbor, UD is there! http://www.unidoom.org

Tribeam

RE: Remove M_Multi?

Post by Tribeam » Sat Jun 02, 2012 5:05 pm

I have already posted this as a suggestion on the bug tracker

http://zandronum.com/tracker/view.php?id=855

mytis

Post by mytis » Sat Jun 02, 2012 10:26 pm

Definitely agree on removing M_Multi, thought I've found myself liking offline skirmish's presence.
The parts I like about it are how you can view new map names in the map list, and you can quickly set up a game to specific settings.

Dark-Assassin
Maintenence Crew

Post by Dark-Assassin » Sun Jun 03, 2012 10:09 am

Offline skirmish could probably perhaps go in the "New Game" menu instead?

Disguise

Post by Disguise » Sun Jun 03, 2012 10:23 am

I agree with removing M_MULTI, but we should keep offline skirmish for the reasons which MytiS posted.

Torr Samaho
Lead Developer

Post by Torr Samaho » Sun Jun 03, 2012 1:12 pm

HeX9109 wrote: Perhaps M_Multi should be removed entirely, and "Multiplayer" should be in Options under "Online Options"
I agree that something should be done about it, but let's discuss the details on the tracker.
HeX9109 wrote: Offline Skirmish can be removed entirely or put under Load Game because it can all be done faster with the console anyway.
Offline skirmish is useful, so there is no need to remove it. Is there even a way to disable the campaign mode on a map with a CMPGNINF lump without using offline skirmish?
HeX9109 wrote: The Server Browser can be commented out entirely because it is balls.
The internal server browser is useful when testing changes to the launcher protocol, so the code shouldn't be removed. We can hide it in public stable releases though.

Zeberpal
Forum Regular

Post by Zeberpal » Tue Jun 05, 2012 6:50 pm

In GZDoom you can use mouse to click on stuff. I was thinking if this feature would be implemented in ZDR, m_multi could go to upper right corner. In my opinion it should satisfy those who like oldstyle and those who like new style and draw their own m_multi for their wads (example[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]).

I know it looks pretty ugly as i draw it, i just want you to get the idea.

[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]
or
[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]
Image ImageImage

Bloax
Forum Regular

Post by Bloax » Tue Jun 05, 2012 7:13 pm

That's an interesting idea, though my personal idea is EXACTLY this:
-=Dark-Assassin=- wrote: It could probably reside in the "New Game" menu instead?

Edward-san
Developer

Post by Edward-san » Tue Jun 05, 2012 11:21 pm

The offline skirmish seems useless right now, since we don't have the skulltag_data.pk3 anymore, so we can remove it without problems, hence we can move the 'multiplayer' menu to 'options'.

Laggy Blazko
Forum Regular

Post by Laggy Blazko » Wed Jun 06, 2012 1:39 am

But the offline skirmish thing helps to set a game with custom options and chosen bots. Also helps to browse maps if you don't know (or dont' want to type) the code. I use it a lot.
And yeah, I think to move it to "New Game" is a good idea.

EDIT: Also, how can someone join a LAN server without the internal browser?
Last edited by Laggy Blazko on Wed Jun 06, 2012 1:50 am, edited 1 time in total.

Boko

Post by Boko » Wed Jun 06, 2012 2:44 am

Moving multiplayer options to options is gonna confuse the hell outta me and take a long time to get used to. =/

Would be better to just remove m_multi.
Last edited by Boko on Wed Jun 06, 2012 2:45 am, edited 1 time in total.

Medicris
Forum Regular

Post by Medicris » Wed Jun 06, 2012 5:22 am

-=Dark-Assassin=- wrote: Offline skirmish could probably perhaps go in the "New Game" menu instead?
This, please. Move everything else such as voting features into Options.

Frits
Forum Regular

Post by Frits » Wed Jun 06, 2012 8:42 am

-=Dark-Assassin=- wrote: Offline skirmish could probably perhaps go in the "New Game" menu instead?
The campaigns are (were?) there, so it fits nicely imho.

Torr Samaho
Lead Developer

Post by Torr Samaho » Wed Jun 06, 2012 7:11 pm

Technically this should work, but it adds an extra layer if you just want to start a new single player game.
Edward-san wrote: The offline skirmish seems useless right now, since we don't have the skulltag_data.pk3 anymore, so we can remove it without problems, hence we can move the 'multiplayer' menu to 'options'.
I think offline skirmish is still very useful, especially if you load a mod with custom maps.

Edward-san
Developer

Post by Edward-san » Wed Jun 06, 2012 7:20 pm

Hmm, what about if inside 'New game' there's 'single player' 'multiplayer' and inside 'single player' the code used is the same as the old 'New game'?

Xaser

Post by Xaser » Wed Jun 06, 2012 11:19 pm

Torr Samaho wrote:
Technically this should work, but it adds an extra layer if you just want to start a new single player game.
My first thought upon reading this was "Wait, ST/Zan is a multiplayer port -- who uses it for SP?", which of course bears the correct response of "Of course you don't use it in SP, Xaser, you're a silly git who forgets that other humanoids do different things." So we're back at square zero. Whelp.

quanchiexe
Registered just to make one post

Post by quanchiexe » Sun Jun 10, 2012 10:12 pm

I really think that the in game server browser should remain at least somewhat intact. I found it very useful when playing lan games. Maybe just the internet feature should be removed. Or it could be revamped to display more servers?

esselfortium

Post by esselfortium » Sun Jun 10, 2012 10:38 pm

Xaser wrote:
Torr Samaho wrote:
My first thought upon reading this was "Wait, ST/Zan is a multiplayer port -- who uses it for SP?", which of course bears the correct response of "Of course you don't use it in SP, Xaser, you're a silly git who forgets that other humanoids do different things." So we're back at square zero. Whelp.
As weird as it is to me as well, I do know at least a few people who just use ST as their main port for both singleplayer and online, for the convenience of having it all in one.

Ivan
Addicted to Zandronum

Post by Ivan » Sun Jun 10, 2012 10:47 pm

Agreed, looks totally out of place in so many wads.
=== RAGNAROK DM ON ... uh... dead forever? ===
=== ALWAYS BET ON ... uh... dead forever? ===
=== Who wanta sum wang? ===
=== Death and Decay - A new Monster/Weapon replacer ===

4avenger5
New User

Post by 4avenger5 » Sun Aug 19, 2012 9:54 pm

why don't you make so if they dont have M_MULTI, then it doesnt save a slot for Multiplayer, or something along the lines.