The Spirit World (Stand Alone Release)

Maps, modifications, add-ons, projects, and other releases for Zandronum. Also includes announcers.
Snakezz

The Spirit World (Stand Alone Release)

Post by Snakezz » Tue Dec 20, 2016 3:15 am

The Spirit World
Stand Alone
By zSnakez in 2011
Reworked by Slimedweller in 2012
Re optimized and distributed by zSnakez in 2016 (day of this topic)

This map is a part of a "remake" mod of DOOM 2 called Superskulltag. Where mappers re created maps in their own image,
but put their own spin, and incorporated a modern touch that would enhance gameplay, but preserve the image of the maps themselves, whilst introducing new gameplay mechanics.

This map in particular is loose a re imagining of map 28 from DOOM 2, but mostly offers new challenges with the peak moments from the original map, albeit heavily reinvisioned throughout.

I chose this map specifically to put my own spin on, because I felt like it was the one with the most breathing room in terms of implementing my own design. (only achievable because of the nuanced nature of the original DOOM2 map.)

(Update 1)
In this version of the map, there are several changes that the few who played it would be able to pick out.
I went back, looked at any fight or obstacle that was either way too difficult, or too easy, and I modified them to be more playable.
This includes several large scale battles, weapons and ammo that can be picked up, and a slight but "good" change in overall environmental interaction. This is what I have tried to do the past month a little bit at a time, kind of leading to this day. (I'm talking about the older RELEASED version of the map I made, not the differences between the original and the older version already released.)

Note this map is very long. Even after creating the map, and knowing the ins and outs; going in on god mode still took me 20 minutes to complete a play through going as fast as i could, and killing the necessary monsters to progress. A naked playthrough without cheats or knowing what your doing could take anywhere from 1 to 3 hours.

To play this map optimally it requires these common files:
DOOM2.wad, SKULLTAG_ACTORS_1-1-1.pk3, skulltagcontent2.1a.pk3, skulltag_data_126

To run this map online, use the name SSTMAP28.

To play this map with all its original flourishes in mind; please download superkulltag. (Note this mod is old and requires some jiggling to get working correctly, but this map can still be played with common zandronum files just fine, with minor gameplay differences.)

Before Playing: some visual glitches (mostly the last part of the map) may exist while playing this map with purely zandronum, none of these visual glitches effect game play at all, I also fixed most of them, and most of them that are still there will not be noticed. If this map seems impossible to you on single player, I have tested this map upwards of a hundred times in the past month, nothing is IMPOSSIBLE, I made sure most if not all the challenges presented in this map follow those guidelines.

I updated, and am re releasing this map to be experienced on its own, and it has been balanced for the occasion. This is the second public version. Please Enjoy.

THE SPIRIT WORLD DOWNLOAD (replaces map 28)

http://www.mediafire.com/file/prb5hgka5 ... 9.wad/file

Recommended play styles are Single player, Coop, or survival. Survival being the best, ultra violence difficulty being the most optimized.
Note: I only went back to update and re-distribute this map because of how large and complex, and perhaps awesome this map really is. I wanted to bring out the best of what it has to offer, whilst fixing the original issues. Please enjoy, "The Spirit World".

Side Note: If you think this map is partially inspired by the map "impure liquids" you are not crazy, I love that map :)

ORIGINAL SUPER SKULLTAG TOPIC
https://zandronum.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=58&t=231
Last edited by Snakezz on Sat Jun 08, 2019 11:58 pm, edited 14 times in total.

Snakezz

Re: The Spirit World

Post by Snakezz » Tue Dec 20, 2016 4:13 am

TIPS AND SPOILERS (read this post if your stuck)

+ The starting area requires you to shoot a target to open the door, this is to teach players of the function, as was recommended in a review.
+ You can literally run through the first 5 minutes of the map if you know what your doing. Cliff monsters offer little threat, run past them.
+ The first half of the map has been optimized for speedrunning, if you keep playing it, you will find new ways to beat it that were specifically created and optimized.

+ The "target" puzzle requires you to shoot targets with a moving identifier. Once you are able to identify this object in this puzzle, it becomes much easier.

+ Any large scale battle that seems impossible has multiple ways to be beaten, you just need to look, many play tests went in to ensuring this.

+ Some keys require some semi good memory to open the next doors for.
+Some specific clues and secrets:
Blue key activates gate in small revanent and zombie ambush cave
Red key activates a wall in the VALLEY base.
The 2nd white "mountain/impure liquids" area has a secret that contains all end game plasma items (Bfg9000, Railgun, BFG10000)

+ This map makes active use of shooting targets, and using many different teleports to explore and proceed.

+ If you find yourself in a room WITHOUT monsters, make sure to make good use of the quick save function. (Remember this map is LONG)

+ During the "matrix sequence" you can choose to either kill the frozen revenants, OR run past them into the next room.
+ This entire sequence can be completed within the time freeze.

If anyone has trouble getting through, or running this map, please let me know, I will help as much as I can.
Last edited by Snakezz on Tue Dec 20, 2016 6:32 am, edited 2 times in total.

Snakezz

Re: The Spirit World

Post by Snakezz » Tue Dec 20, 2016 6:11 am

Official changle log of this version from the old:

+ Made many small but benefitial terrain edits that will effect multiplayer spacing, and overall map completion. Long story short, less terrain will be blocking your way, some spaces are bigger to fit more people, some complex sequences give you a better edge.

+ Resources, weapons, ammo, and armor have been reworked slightly for this version.

+ Some large scale engagements that requires bfg or better to complete have been slightly reworked to include other intuitive playstyles.

+The second cliff area with the bfg secret has been fixed and improved so people have a better chance of figuring out the secret.
~ also added to the secret is the rail gun and bfg10000 due to the overall difficulty of completing the task(you will know what I mean if you get tere)

+ Some monsters, sequences, or puzzles have been modified to be more fair or interesting.

Almost every aspect of this large map has been touched to be more optimized and fun in completion. Some small and non life changing issues exist, but overall they will not effect what I set out to duo everything big has been dealt with.

This sums up the changes made to this map in the past month, please comment or criticize. Heyoooooo.

Zalewa
Developer

Re: The Spirit World (Stand Alone Release)

Post by Zalewa » Tue Dec 20, 2016 12:35 pm

I've went through this map in single player. Took me about an hour with some deaths and reloads. I'd say that the beginning made me expect a basic map with straight-forward, linear shooting, however it turned out to be more pleasant than that.

The map is divided into combat arenas where invasion-style gameplay happens. The beginning can be skipped by running around the enemies, which I did. You have to return to this area at some point so it might not be the wisest thing to do, after all. Some fights are difficult, but in general the further you go the easier it gets. Later fights provide enough powerups to allow survival without having to manuever too much, but at the same time the action is tight enough that you can't play this in an auto-pilot mode. The breaking point is when you get the railgun - the only threatening fight after that is the final one, where you must utilize the Invul sphere efficiently or you will die.

Visuals are a mish-mash of nicely done flesh-temple areas with lots of detail, contrasted by rocks and face rivers that mix into puke. It's done well, in overall. The additive translucency of the teleporter and face-window textures as always produces a very nice glowing effect.

The layout is fairly linear. But still, it's true that you must retrace your steps to find the doors, and automap might not be very helpful with this because the level is a group of separate areas connected with teleporters. Unless you remember which teleporter goes where, finding the blue/red/yellow line on the automap might not help you too much. Fortunately, teleporters that you don't need to use anymore get blocked, which makes navigation much easier.

Skulltag resources are utilized in a fun way, even if they fill somewhat forced. By this I mean that they're used because this is a Skulltag map and not because they fit in specific areas. The Doomsphere combat is clearly orchestrated just to use the Doomsphere.

It's not a perfect level, but in idgames rating system I still think it deserves 4 stars out of 5.
Last edited by Zalewa on Tue Dec 20, 2016 8:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Snakezz

Post by Snakezz » Tue Dec 20, 2016 8:37 pm

Zalewa wrote: Previous comment
Hey thanks for taking the time to play it all the way, glad you enjoyed it!
You can actually run a fair bit into the map without taking any damage, but it is subject to failure due to some rng monster behavior.
(some enemies might get in the way of being able to pull it off)

Snakezz

Post by Snakezz » Fri Dec 23, 2016 2:49 am

Now hosting a "semi constant" server for the map. Will be hosting the server multiple nights a week if I can. The server is called [SURVIVAL HOUSE] THE SPIRIT WORLD OFFICIAL.

If anybody has time, please let me know if there are any errors or lag with the server if you stop by.

Snakezz

Post by Snakezz » Fri Dec 30, 2016 1:20 am

Some people are encountering trouble running this with skulltag alone, for now until I figure out a fix, the best way is to play from doom builder or online. To run it online it requires the name SSTMAP28.

Ænima
Addicted to Zandronum

Post by Ænima » Tue Jan 03, 2017 5:15 pm

Heyyyyyy, sorry it took me forever to actually post a response here.

Just wanted to let you know that you did an amazing freakin' job, Snakezz! It's been years since I played this map in its native setting (Super Skulltag), but I can say that this version is just as good, if not better, than how I remember it. The difficulty progression is great, traps and major battles are paced perfectly, rooms are detailed very well, and Skulltag monsters and weapons aren't overused.

And that "pentagram roulette" puzzle that Slime added still makes me chuckle. Love that shit.
Spoiler: SCREENSHOTS (i played using Beautiful Doom) (Open)
(feel free to put those in the main post)

The only real "problem" I noticed was that you forgot to copy over the "drop light" mid textures from the Super Skulltag PK3.
[spoiler]Image

Image[/spoiler]

OH, and you need to copy over the MAPINFO definition too, because the automap shows no name for the map, and also the skies are wrong (it defaulted to the Doom2 MAP01 sky texture).

EDIT:

omg fam

­ ­ ­ ­ ­ ­ ­ ­ ­ ­ ­ ­ ­ ­ ­ ­ ­
Doom64: Unabsolved: New weapons, monsters, and gameplay features for coop !

ZandroSkins
: a pack made by our community

Snakezz

Post by Snakezz » Tue Jan 03, 2017 11:56 pm

Ænima wrote:"Previous Comment"
Ayyye they thanks for uploading some screenshots. Saw it wasn't required in the rules and was being lazy.
Overall I didn't make any gigantic changes with the update, or add any huge large scale battles.
But I did add in some smaller enemies here and there, for example: Valley base now has lowly former humans, spirits in the curved hallway, as well as the spider mastermind battle room (which before you could just run in and gun down all the arachnotrons, now there are several enemies to dispatch at once from multiple angles)

But yee, just glad I got it up. As for the texturing thing, I need to download some more programs to do the transfer.

Snakezz

Post by Snakezz » Fri Jan 13, 2017 4:07 am

Added screenshots provided from my homie Enima.

Snakezz

Post by Snakezz » Tue Feb 14, 2017 2:42 am

+ Fixed Cyber Demon glitch where they wouldn't spawn at the end.
+ Added some additional monster spawn ins here and there.
+ Did some other stuff that I currently forget.

http://www.mediafire.com/file/z2dobfkbl ... ld2016.wad

Snakezz

Post by Snakezz » Tue Apr 04, 2017 3:14 am

Looking to make a a "hell pack". It would be 4 maps in total, this map being the third. I would like to find one or two other mappers who could make levels that would fit around this one. I would make 1 map myself, being the first, I would leave the other two to whomever has the time and knowhow. It is probably asking a bit much due to this being my first solo release, but I think the content is there. Please comment or msg if you are interested. If a lot of people end up being interested, I'm willing to add in more map slots to the project, but for right now there is 3 map slots.

Snakezz

Post by Snakezz » Thu Jun 15, 2017 7:57 pm

Update 2

+ Increased overall difficulty in certain areas if playing in ultra violence or harder.
~ These include; Green Temple before boss battle, and the "face temple".
+ Added some extra goodies in the "teleport" room that unlock over time.
+ Increased the damage of the crusher in the imperial red carpet hallway temple.
+ Switched door mechanic in first large cave area, this door now opens if you shoot a target.
+ Fixed visual glitches in the room where you acquire the orange key.

New Version:
http://www.mediafire.com/file/v312k0k1h ... ld2017.wad

Snakezz

Post by Snakezz » Thu Nov 30, 2017 12:18 am

Thinking about combining certain areas together to make a death match version of the map. May take a bit due to other projects, but i doubt it matters, just know its something that is a thing, and it is thinging pretty hard.

Ænima
Addicted to Zandronum

Post by Ænima » Thu Nov 30, 2017 1:17 am

Snakezz wrote:
Thu Nov 30, 2017 12:18 am
Thinking about combining certain areas together to make a death match version of the map. May take a bit due to other projects, but i doubt it matters, just know its something that is a thing, and it is thinging pretty hard.
That would be sick. What areas were you thinking?

The timefreeze sphere room and the big magma chamber would be an interesting amalgamation.
­ ­ ­ ­ ­ ­ ­ ­ ­ ­ ­ ­ ­ ­ ­ ­ ­
Doom64: Unabsolved: New weapons, monsters, and gameplay features for coop !

ZandroSkins
: a pack made by our community

Snakezz

Post by Snakezz » Tue Dec 05, 2017 6:48 am

Specifically areas that have concentrated building formats that foster strafing and options of cover, which includes the two large chambers, and some more concentrated inside areas such as the time sphere spot and the last green temple area with the orange key that leads to the end. I plan on using one of the outside mountain areas to tie these areas together, this area will provide travel type of fighting, where you are heading to another area but take pop shots at other people along the way but try to keep moving, otherwise it serves as long distance sharp shooting for some.

I didn't intend for these areas to be competitive, but whatev, will do some extra balancing if it looks weird in the end.

Snakezz

Post by Snakezz » Fri Jan 04, 2019 2:07 am

Update: 1/3/2019

+ First door switch can now be activated by shooting AND pressing the button manually.
~ The number one issue people have is opening the first door, so I added another chance that new players will figure it out. If you interact with that switch looking texture by shooting or pressing, you will now open that door.

http://www.mediafire.com/file/prb5hgka5 ... 9.wad/file

Snakezz

Post by Snakezz » Sat Jun 08, 2019 11:54 pm

If anybody has this map in their library and has time to play it with me, let me know. While making this map I only had 2 chances over the coarse of a few years to play it in multiplayer. Not trying to necro post. But tomorrow night I'll have some time after around 7pm Eastern to do this. Please let me know,it would be great just to run through it one more time with another person or two. I only have like 3 maps, and each are very large long term projects that took several months to make, this is the only one I have on file left (switched computers and houses throughout the years, things got lost in the process.)

So either comment here or message me if you got the time and are interested. Take er easy.

bobvorn
New User

Post by bobvorn » Mon Jun 10, 2019 12:58 am

Am I too late? I hosted my own (volatile) server just to try the map out.

Snakezz

Post by Snakezz » Tue Jun 11, 2019 11:34 pm

I checked 30 minutes before 7pm. It's all good. I know trying content from unknown content creators is pretty rare in a lot of different games, I'm not surprised. But thank you for trying the map out.