how would the league/doom change if audio on item pickups was turned off

Moderator: Global Doom Association

legion
Retired Staff / Community Team Member

Re: how would the league/doom change if global audio on item pickups was turned off

Post by legion » Fri Jan 12, 2018 5:47 am

Razgriz wrote:
Wed Jan 10, 2018 2:59 am
Seems like someone is mad they came back and realized they still can't run, though I'm sure the power of ZCC will somehow be able to bypass all those disadvantages anyways.
Ru5tK1ng wrote:
Wed Jan 10, 2018 2:29 pm
With that out of the way, did you lose a match or something? Usually people start barking about settings and the game whenever they lose. The sound settings haven't been brought up by 'several' people in the last few years at all. So who are you basing this off of again?
Mobius wrote:
Wed Jan 10, 2018 10:21 pm
Edit! ok so now I know what you're crying about I have to ask:

Where on the doom marine did they beat you?
ive been gone a long time and seeing all of you post drivel in a weak attempt to attack my doom skills is comforting, in a strange manner. lets me know nothing has really changed
my turn: you're all shit, you didn't join the league because you were afraid of losing, a3 has been reduced to a mm8bdm clan, and even the lowest tier GDA players could probably beat you in any ctf match. hopefully ive covered all the bases
Ru5tK1ng wrote:
Turning it off will make it easier for runners because then the only sound cues left are weapons, pain, use/jump sound and teleport/spawn sounds. With this change defenders will have to rely on their sight and teammates more often since they won't be able to hear runners picking up items like in map20 or 29.
as it always should have been. zandro priv and competitive leagues have basically cannibalized all relevant flags from zdaemon/odamex competitive settings (see: no air control/accel and flags falling through specific floors come to mind). this was an outlier that benefits defenders on specific maps a significant amount.

Ru5tK1ng wrote:
These sound settings have been played with on Zan for a long while now and I see no real point in changing it now. If you 2 are so keen on keeping things 'standard' between all ports and settings you have more than just sound to worry about. Don't forget to enforce GL settings while you're at it because there are players who abuse it for gain. You might as well do something about ZCC too since that has a lot of nice little features that can be used for an advantage compared to players who use the standard Zandro client.
a lot of settings were considered standardized zandro settings before competitive players came to the realization that those settings were dumb as fuck so they bit the dust.
Ivan wrote:
Wed Jan 10, 2018 8:48 pm
I never realized items made global sound where you can hear these from wherever you are in the map regardless of distance. Hmm... New zandro features?
ped·ant
ˈpednt/
noun
noun: pedant; plural noun: pedants

a person who is excessively concerned with minor details and rules or with displaying academic learning.
synonyms: dogmatist, purist, literalist, formalist, doctrinaire, perfectionist

Ivan
Addicted to Zandronum

Re: how would the league/doom change if global audio on item pickups was turned off

Post by Ivan » Fri Jan 12, 2018 6:53 am

That's not being pedantic, that's literally trying to understand this fucked up complaint. What you say in the normal sense isn't even a part of Doom. You leave many people scratching their heads. And I read somewhere this is being "adressed"? How do you adress something that doesn't even exist...
=== RAGNAROK DM ON ... uh... dead forever? ===
=== ALWAYS BET ON ... uh... dead forever? ===
=== Who wanta sum wang? ===
=== Death and Decay - A new Monster/Weapon replacer ===

legion
Retired Staff / Community Team Member

Re: how would the league/doom change if audio on item pickups was turned off

Post by legion » Fri Jan 12, 2018 1:54 pm

Ivan wrote:
Fri Jan 12, 2018 6:53 am
That's not being pedantic, that's literally trying to understand this fucked up complaint. What you say in the normal sense isn't even a part of Doom. You leave many people scratching their heads. And I read somewhere this is being "adressed"? How do you adress something that doesn't even exist...
literally everyone but you knew what i was talking about. i cleared it up for you.

by global i meant everyone, not just your own team or yourself picking up weapons.

IdeIdoom
Zandrone

Post by IdeIdoom » Fri Jan 12, 2018 8:04 pm

Alright mates, enough fighting.
THE ROMANIAN POWERImage

Code: Select all

<+Dastan>	edd
<+Dastan>	boxxy skin when
<+Shift>	dastan you really want to fap at it this much and now you are going crazy and shredding your hair into a million tiny pieces for this boxxy skin to come out that way you can cum out
<+Dastan>	Shift, yes
--------------------------------------------------------------------
21:53:26  <@Estar>	well, if i'd be a girl, i would say ideidoom has ok looks

Zakken
Frequent Poster Miles card holder
Clan: Power Fragging
Clan Tag: [PF]

Post by Zakken » Fri Jan 12, 2018 10:07 pm

Alright, that's more than enough nonsense I'm willing to turn a blind eye to. If the only things you have to talk about are the OP's own skill and merit and how much better/wiser you are than them (even though, as per usual, most people guilty of this haven't had any meaningful CTF interactions or contributions in years), then please don't bother posting. Trying to pass crap like that off as discussion will net you an immediate post split from this forum.

Ru5tK1ng

Post by Ru5tK1ng » Fri Jan 12, 2018 10:21 pm

(even though, as per usual, most people guilty of this haven't had any meaningful CTF interactions or contributions in years)
Don't talk about legion like that. That's not nice.

Zakken

Post by Zakken » Fri Jan 12, 2018 10:46 pm

Legion was inactive for less than a year, assumingly because of connection issues, so obviously I'm not talking about him. Carry on.

Ru5tK1ng

Post by Ru5tK1ng » Sat Jan 13, 2018 12:44 am

Zakken wrote:
Fri Jan 12, 2018 10:46 pm
Legion was inactive for less than a year, assumingly because of connection issues, so obviously I'm not talking about him. Carry on.
Well considering the fact that I had played handfuls of times throughout the last year surely you're not talking about me. I guess you're talking about poor Ivan? I don't know it's hard to tell behind your wall of passive aggressiveness that you tend to drag around with you.

Zakken

Post by Zakken » Sat Jan 13, 2018 3:52 am

Ru5tK1ng wrote:
Sat Jan 13, 2018 12:44 am
Well considering the fact that I had played handfuls of times throughout the last year surely you're not talking about me. I guess you're talking about poor Ivan? I don't know it's hard to tell behind your wall of passive aggressiveness that you tend to drag around with you.
Legion is a genuine priv regular and plays almost everyday, before and after his time away from the game -- that, everybody who actually plays often can attest to. He didn't "just" come back, and he certainly has a fair share of years of experience on him. If you feel I'm being passive aggressive to you, you have only yourselves to blame for derailing this topic to begin with and attacking Legion unprovoked. Get your petty aggressions away from here and let's keep this thread on-topic, yeah?

P.S. Doubling down on what got your posts split in the first place is anything but a smart move.

Ru5tK1ng

Post by Ru5tK1ng » Sat Jan 13, 2018 4:07 am

Zakken wrote:
Sat Jan 13, 2018 3:52 am
Ru5tK1ng wrote:
Sat Jan 13, 2018 12:44 am
Legion is a genuine priv regular and plays almost everyday, before and after his time away from the game -- that, everybody who actually plays often can attest to. He didn't "just" come back, and he certainly has a fair share of years of experience on him. If you feel I'm being passive aggressive to you, you have only yourselves to blame for derailing this topic to begin with and attacking Legion unprovoked. Get your petty aggressions away from here and let's keep this thread on-topic, yeah?

P.S. Doubling down on what got your posts split in the first place is anything but a smart move.
What do you mean he didn't come back? You literally just said 'after his time away from the game'. If you are away from something and return, that's usually called coming back....mental apex??

So somehow I'm not a genuine player because I don't play priv everyday? Even though I have more experience playing than even you? Interesting.

Zakken

Post by Zakken » Sat Jan 13, 2018 7:16 am

Ru5tK1ng wrote:
Sat Jan 13, 2018 4:07 am
What do you mean he didn't come back? You literally just said 'after his time away from the game'. If you are away from something and return, that's usually called coming back....mental apex??
I said he didn't just come back, by which I mean he's been around for a few months by now already.
Ru5tK1ng wrote:
So somehow I'm not a genuine player because I don't play priv everyday? Even though I have more experience playing than even you? Interesting.
It doesn't matter; none of one's credentials gives them a free pass to be out here derailing threads for little purpose. Be nice and civil about stuff, and nobody will make an embarrassment out of themselves. Simple as that.

Ivan
Addicted to Zandronum

Post by Ivan » Sat Jan 13, 2018 8:27 am

So from all this I gather that if you don't play now your opinion is invalid. Nice logic. Keep going with the petty league.

Galactus
Forum Regular

Post by Galactus » Sat Jan 13, 2018 3:44 pm

Ivan wrote:
Sat Jan 13, 2018 8:27 am
Keep going with the petty league.
Ouch, I wouldn't call a pretty successful looking league petty. But hey let's give you the benefit of the doubt, maybe you know what a good league is like. I'm sure by now the mm8bdm league you're hosting has taken o-

Ru5tK1ng

Post by Ru5tK1ng » Sat Jan 13, 2018 4:47 pm

Zakken wrote:
Sat Jan 13, 2018 7:16 am
Ru5tK1ng wrote:
I said he didn't just come back, by which I mean he's been around for a few months by now already.
Whew good thing I said relatively speaking, cuz some people might misunderstand what I said..oh wait
Zakken wrote:
Sat Jan 13, 2018 7:16 am
Ru5tK1ng wrote:
It doesn't matter; none of one's credentials gives them a free pass to be out here derailing threads for little purpose. Be nice and civil about stuff, and nobody will make an embarrassment out of themselves. Simple as that.
Thats fine and all but that has nothing to do with what I asked clarification for. So who were you talking about earlier? I'm confused at this point because it seems like you're not talking about anybody???

Ivan
Addicted to Zandronum

Post by Ivan » Sat Jan 13, 2018 6:02 pm

Galactus wrote:
Sat Jan 13, 2018 3:44 pm
Ivan wrote:
Ouch, I wouldn't call a pretty successful looking league petty. But hey let's give you the benefit of the doubt, maybe you know what a good league is like. I'm sure by now the mm8bdm league you're hosting has taken o-
We already have the possibility to run it with 6 teams, which seems to be the same amount here. Getting 6 teams in a non-competitive environment whose players have never seen a league of the kind being presented is more of an achievement than getting 6 teams in a competitive environment whose players have mostly been playing for more than 5 years... You guys are busy rambling about things that have been established for year after year and guess what, we have none of those :) The tournament is also ran by sensible people who don't suffer from mental apex problems... The serious decline of top tier players also degrades the league's quality... Want me to go on? Seems pretty petty to me so far.

Galactus
Forum Regular

Post by Galactus » Sat Jan 13, 2018 6:36 pm

Ivan wrote:
Sat Jan 13, 2018 6:02 pm
whose players have mostly been playing for more than 5 years... You guys are busy rambling about things that have been established for year after year and guess what, we have none of those :)
I mean that's pretty logical, a non-competitive environment is going to complain off the bat about competitive related stuff. If they are as non competitive as you claim then they probably don't even know any better.
Ivan wrote:
Sat Jan 13, 2018 6:02 pm
The serious decline of top tier players also degrades the league's quality...
What? This has been the first zan league in 4 years that has this many good players in it.

Ru5tK1ng

Post by Ru5tK1ng » Sat Jan 13, 2018 6:56 pm

Since I'm not a part of either league, I don't have a dog in this battle. However, I wouldn't say GDA is petty, a failure, a success or anything because it's way too earlier and the first games haven't even been played yet. As of now, you can say it's maintaining the status quo set by past leagues or say it's on track etc. Right now it's in the honeymoon phase and seems to be doing ok. Realistically, you can't really call it a success until it finishes or a failure if it doesn't.

As for megaman, I'm surprised it even got near 6 teams considering the smaller playerbase compared to the doom playerbase. Even then, it's split even more because it's not 'vanilla' 8bit, but the classes mod.Then there's the lack of league history (ctf, duel, lms) in MM that Doom doesn't suffer from. Then the hyper competitive playerbase that's in denial of being competitive? What a mess.

Also I wouldn't say it's a serious decline of player talent because the majority of sign ups have the same names you've seen for the past years. Perhaps a more fitting statement would be, ' a serious lack of talent growth'?

Mobius
Banned
Location: The center of the A3's controversial and machiavellian conspiracy
Clan: Cube
Clan Tag: Aᵌ
Banned: Permanently

Post by Mobius » Sat Jan 13, 2018 8:20 pm

Galactus wrote:
Sat Jan 13, 2018 3:44 pm
Ivan wrote:
http://cutstuff.net/forum/index.php?topic=11058.0

we're getting enough for 8 teams and it's moving.

https://discord.gg/hshRJV

funny enough you say that today because this is the first thing I went to get moving before I was told this topic was still a thing.
dewsome: i can do this all day
dewsome: do you think you're somehow special? i spent years arguing with nostar, jenova, mobius
<+Thomas13> Mobius u r inferior, go outside and get beaten up
Alfonzo ~ "I wonder who will hear him trash talk when the dirt closes over him?"

Razgriz
Forum Staff

Post by Razgriz » Sun Jan 14, 2018 2:26 am

Didn't you guys know, if you don't play anymore, you don't know the new hip meta like having no sound? I could swear map01 has played like map01 since I started in 06, same for 03, 04, etc. Man I wonder how much map 31 has changed in the past few months I've been gone.

Mobius
Banned
Location: The center of the A3's controversial and machiavellian conspiracy
Clan: Cube
Clan Tag: Aᵌ
Banned: Permanently

Post by Mobius » Sun Jan 14, 2018 5:15 pm

Razgriz wrote:
Sun Jan 14, 2018 2:26 am
Didn't you guys know, if you don't play anymore, you don't know the new hip meta like having no sound? I could swear map01 has played like map01 since I started in 06, same for 03, 04, etc. Man I wonder how much map 31 has changed in the past few months I've been gone.
Let's take a look!

https://imgur.com/a/yMsNu

... oh.. nevermind.

Don't worry. It's the same players who go "A3 doesn't play anymore because they are scared" while we dominated the entire port for almost 7 years with like R being the only clan to honestly say they dominate us.
dewsome: i can do this all day
dewsome: do you think you're somehow special? i spent years arguing with nostar, jenova, mobius
<+Thomas13> Mobius u r inferior, go outside and get beaten up
Alfonzo ~ "I wonder who will hear him trash talk when the dirt closes over him?"