[TUT] Reducing PNG Filesize in Slade 3 (eat it xwe)

Looking for Resources for your mod/project? Want to share some of your creations so others can use them? Post them here!
Combinebobnt
Retired Staff / Community Team Member

[TUT] Reducing PNG Filesize in Slade 3 (eat it xwe)

Post by Combinebobnt » Sun Aug 07, 2016 4:52 pm

Hello my name is bob and today I'm going to tell you about Reducing PNG Filesize in Slade 3. This tutorial will be fast and not really furious, more helpful instead, so let's go.

Step: 1: Download these 3 programs
You need DeflOpt.exe, pngcrush.exe, and pngout.exe. If my link died, google for these 3.

Step 2: Put them somewhere you can remember.

Step 3: Open slade and go to EDIT. Click on preferences.

Step 4: Open the GRAPHICS tab and click on PNGS. Give slade the location of the 3 programs you just downloaded.

Step 5: Get a png (paletted or truecolor both work, but read the notes below), and open the context menu (mouse2), go to GRAPHIC, and click on OPTIMIZE PNG.

Step 6: Slade has to run 3 programs on this little PNG, so doing a whole folder can take some time. It's worth the filesize savings though.

Step 7: ??????

Step 8: PROFIT!

Misc. Notes:
-You can easily save MEGABYTES on wad filesize by optimizing sprites,graphics,and textures like this. Pictures don't compress in the zip format nearly as well as music and maps do.
-Sometimes big truecolor pngs get screwed up with a white background replacing the transparency. I haven't found a workaround, so these cannot be compressed.
John Zombie wrote:That's because zandronum(zdoom?)'s PNG implementation is shitty and doesn't support tRNS chunks in truecolor images for whatever reason, excluding pngout should be enough as a workaround(the optimization won't be as effective, but better than nothing I guess)
Last edited by Combinebobnt on Sun Aug 14, 2016 6:52 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Razgriz
Forum Staff

Re: [TUT] Reducing PNG Filesize in Slade 3 (eat it xwe)

Post by Razgriz » Sun Aug 07, 2016 4:57 pm

Nice tutorial great work bob you did it!

John Zombie
Forum Regular

Post by John Zombie » Sun Aug 07, 2016 9:28 pm

-Sometimes big truecolor pngs get screwed up with a white background replacing the transparency. I haven't found a workaround, so these cannot be compressed.
That's because zandronum(zdoom?)'s PNG implementation is shitty and doesn't support tRNS chunks in truecolor images for whatever reason, excluding pngout should be enough as a workaround(the optimization won't be as effective, but better than nothing I guess)

ZZYZX
Posts a lot
Clan: A3
Clan Tag: [A3]

Post by ZZYZX » Sun Aug 07, 2016 11:34 pm

The background being white or black isn't real. At least in recent ZDoom it does look transparent, despite SLADE showing the solid color. Tested this on my WAD.

Shane
Forum Regular
Clan: Renegades
Clan Tag: [R]

Post by Shane » Sun Aug 14, 2016 6:31 pm

256 bmp master race