Change Z-line duration

Discuss IRC operations here.

Moderator: Wiki Maintainer

Watermelon
Zandrone

Change Z-line duration

Post by Watermelon » Sat Sep 27, 2014 3:35 pm

Z-lines take up to 5 hours to clear. Is this really necessary? Is there any security advantage over 30 minutes or 1 hour?

Can it be reduced?

Also, if the answer is "go ask in #staff", the channel is really dead and relies on IRCOps being on, which is not always the case.

Konar6
Retired Staff / Community Team Member

RE: Change Z-line duration

Post by Konar6 » Sat Sep 27, 2014 3:57 pm

Z-lines for connection flooding expire after 1 hour.

Do you have some experience that led you to believe this is not the case? Perhaps it was on another network altogether?
Ijon Tichy wrote:I like how your first responses to concerns being raised was to start insulting people, accusing random people on the Internet of being Shadowfox, and digging up irrelevant shit from the past. It really inspires confidence in me that you guys are level-headed and rational folks.

<BlueCool> you guys IQ is the same as my IP, Dynamic

Watermelon
Zandrone

Post by Watermelon » Tue Sep 30, 2014 6:22 pm

Sorry forgot to respond to this:

I know I've been locked out for at least 3 hours on irc.zandronum.com. Another dev was locked out for 5+, we even had to move everyone (including Torr) to irc.esper.net because one of the devs was locked out.

Does it by chance stack if you try to reconnect? Cause if it's one hour, that is the only thing I could think of that would explain it taking an insane amount of time to clear.

Konar6

Post by Konar6 » Mon Oct 06, 2014 10:57 pm

The problem observed here has been caused by a bot on your connection which kept bombarding the servers with connection attempts for a whole day. Naturally it kept triggering the flood protection again as soon as its ban was lifted.
I would suggest fixing the bot in question so that it doesn't join and quit 20 times within a minute for no apparent reason, such as adding a throttle system to wait for a specified amount of time before reconnecting.
Ijon Tichy wrote:I like how your first responses to concerns being raised was to start insulting people, accusing random people on the Internet of being Shadowfox, and digging up irrelevant shit from the past. It really inspires confidence in me that you guys are level-headed and rational folks.

<BlueCool> you guys IQ is the same as my IP, Dynamic

Watermelon
Zandrone

Post by Watermelon » Tue Oct 07, 2014 1:06 am

The bot isn't on my connection though, it's in a completely different province 6 hours away from me.

Though if my remote connection is doing that I'll fix it ASAP. I'm not as worried about my bot getting z-lined though since it's just there for people to contact me while I'm asleep and not a critical connection. One day hopefully I can stay awake for 24 hours \:D/

I'm also not too worried about the z-line itself, just when it happens to anyone at a critical time, it seems to last longer than 1 hour. Overall this isn't a problem if there were staff members around to fix it, but last time someone got z-lined, there was literally no staff to help us.

Since this is outside of your realm, maybe the other staff members can provide input on this? Konar6 can't stay awake around the clock...
I don't have a problem with the z-line really, it's just no one is around to undo it when it happens. That's when the duration becomes brutal.
Last edited by Watermelon on Tue Oct 07, 2014 1:10 am, edited 1 time in total.

mifu
Clan: Demon RiderZ

Post by mifu » Tue Oct 07, 2014 1:44 am

As an irc op, If the Z-line duration can not be changed, then this would be a call to see if we can get some more irc ops on board to cover the time frames konar and I aint on.

Thats IMO however, so how we go about this is still undecided.