#zandronum IQ

Discuss IRC operations here.

Moderator: IRC Operators

User avatar
Ivan
Addicted to Zandronum
Posts: 2213
Joined: Mon Jun 04, 2012 5:38 pm
Location: Omnipresent

RE: #zandronum IQ

#21

Post by Ivan » Tue Jan 22, 2013 12:17 am

Metal wrote:
Ivan wrote: I don't read it much unless I'm highlighted and usually when that happens there are good conversations going on there. I don't know, there could be a "bot" to spread a discussion topic there at random intervals to prevent the retarded topics being out. I can think it working well.
This would be a good idea. I don't want it like HEAVILY moderated, I just want the trash taken out. I certainly don't mind idle chat in there, it's just when it gets to the point where you're getting a headache reading some of the stuff in there, is when the line needs to be drawn.
The problem comes from people who are probably drunk or just flat out stupid bringing a harmful topic or just a really bad topic out of nowhere and people paying their attention to it, from what I've seen. Having a proper discussion topic about the general stuff happening around us, or just random "reasonable" topics would probably help clean it. Such examples would be thoughts on a sports game and who will win that, a scientific breakthrough, a new iphone etc etc.
=== RAGNAROK DM ON ... uh... dead forever? ===
=== ALWAYS BET ON ... uh... dead forever? ===
=== Who wanta sum wang? ===
=== Death and Decay - A new Monster/Weapon replacer ===

User avatar
Ænima
Addicted to Zandronum
Posts: 3504
Joined: Tue Jun 05, 2012 6:12 pm

RE: #zandronum IQ

#22

Post by Ænima » Tue Jan 22, 2013 1:51 am

Ivan wrote:
Metal wrote:
Ivan wrote: I don't read it much unless I'm highlighted and usually when that happens there are good conversations going on there. I don't know, there could be a "bot" to spread a discussion topic there at random intervals to prevent the retarded topics being out. I can think it working well.
This would be a good idea. I don't want it like HEAVILY moderated, I just want the trash taken out. I certainly don't mind idle chat in there, it's just when it gets to the point where you're getting a headache reading some of the stuff in there, is when the line needs to be drawn.
The problem comes from people who are probably drunk or just flat out stupid bringing a harmful topic or just a really bad topic out of nowhere and people paying their attention to it, from what I've seen.
It usually always involves someone mentioning bronies or furries and (either intentionally or unknowingly) bringing a shitstorm down upon the entire channel for the next 20 minutes.
­ ­ ­ ­ ­ ­ ­ ­ ­ ­ ­ ­ ­ ­ ­ ­ ­
Doom64: Unabsolved: New weapons, monsters, and gameplay features for coop !


ZandroSkins
: a pack made by our community

Cruduxy
Zandrone
Posts: 1059
Joined: Fri Jun 08, 2012 4:24 pm

RE: #zandronum IQ

#23

Post by Cruduxy » Tue Jan 22, 2013 4:10 pm

Ænima wrote:
Ivan wrote:
Metal wrote:
Ivan wrote: I don't read it much unless I'm highlighted and usually when that happens there are good conversations going on there. I don't know, there could be a "bot" to spread a discussion topic there at random intervals to prevent the retarded topics being out. I can think it working well.
This would be a good idea. I don't want it like HEAVILY moderated, I just want the trash taken out. I certainly don't mind idle chat in there, it's just when it gets to the point where you're getting a headache reading some of the stuff in there, is when the line needs to be drawn.
The problem comes from people who are probably drunk or just flat out stupid bringing a harmful topic or just a really bad topic out of nowhere and people paying their attention to it, from what I've seen.
It usually always involves someone mentioning bronies or furries and (either intentionally or unknowingly) bringing a shitstorm down upon the entire channel for the next 20 minutes.
Although sometimes it doesn't turn into a shitstorm and suddenly someone who thinks so high of himself/herself insults them on purpose to start the shit storm :neutral:
[][][][][][][][][][][][][][][]
Nothing to see here
[][][][][][][][][][][][][][][]

User avatar
Frits
Forum Regular
Posts: 298
Joined: Fri Jun 01, 2012 9:04 pm

RE: #zandronum IQ

#24

Post by Frits » Wed Jan 23, 2013 3:51 pm

I like a nice read once in a while.

HexaDoken
Forum Regular
Posts: 352
Joined: Wed Jul 04, 2012 8:27 am
Location: Void. Russian Void.

RE: #zandronum IQ

#25

Post by HexaDoken » Wed Jan 23, 2013 4:19 pm

If reading a conversation gives you a headache, stop reading it. Doing so has got me far.

Quite frankly, Zandronum IQ is for the most part a pile of trash. Quite frankly, I do not really see a problem in that. Yeah, people are messed up badly... that does not however make them any less like people.

I am not a native english/american, but I have heard of such an interesting concept as "liberty of speech". I think it grants people the right to discuss whatever topics and not fear to be shot down just because somebody thinks it's stupid.

There are a lot of conversations in #zandronum upon seeing which I just /part instantly because they make my head explode. But should I be a IRCOP, I would not actually ban or mute participants of most of those conversations. Not even warn them. Sure, I do not like them. But if I just banned anything I didn't like, everything around me would be an empty wasteland. Plus if I do not like something that doesn't mean it's bad.

There are some cases when shit starts getting serious, and even a kind person like me would start applying bans/mutes, but theese are very rare. I haven't seen much of a shitstorm for a while now. A long while.

TL;DR version - If you do not like #zandronums daily conversations, do not read them. My today's two cents on a shiny plate.

Cruduxy
Zandrone
Posts: 1059
Joined: Fri Jun 08, 2012 4:24 pm

RE: #zandronum IQ

#26

Post by Cruduxy » Wed Jan 23, 2013 5:11 pm

HexaDoken wrote: If reading a conversation gives you a headache, stop reading it. Doing so has got me far.

Quite frankly, Zandronum IQ is for the most part a pile of trash. Quite frankly, I do not really see a problem in that. Yeah, people are messed up badly... that does not however make them any less like people.

I am not a native english/american, but I have heard of such an interesting concept as "liberty of speech". I think it grants people the right to discuss whatever topics and not fear to be shot down just because somebody thinks it's stupid.

There are a lot of conversations in #zandronum upon seeing which I just /part instantly because they make my head explode. But should I be a IRCOP, I would not actually ban or mute participants of most of those conversations. Not even warn them. Sure, I do not like them. But if I just banned anything I didn't like, everything around me would be an empty wasteland. Plus if I do not like something that doesn't mean it's bad.

There are some cases when shit starts getting serious, and even a kind person like me would start applying bans/mutes, but theese are very rare. I haven't seen much of a shitstorm for a while now. A long while.

TL;DR version - If you do not like #zandronums daily conversations, do not read them. My today's two cents on a shiny plate.
Well said.
but a bit too late now the channel is a wasteland compared to 3+ days ago :rolleyes:
Last edited by Cruduxy on Wed Jan 23, 2013 5:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
[][][][][][][][][][][][][][][]
Nothing to see here
[][][][][][][][][][][][][][][]

Dynamo
Retired Staff / Community Team Member
Posts: 154
Joined: Fri May 25, 2012 5:16 am

RE: #zandronum IQ

#27

Post by Dynamo » Wed Jan 23, 2013 6:15 pm

HexaDoken wrote: I am not a native english/american, but I have heard of such an interesting concept as "liberty of speech". I think it grants people the right to discuss whatever topics and not fear to be shot down just because somebody thinks it's stupid.
No. Just because it's a general chat channel doesn't mean it has to be filled with trash. I encourage people to talk about what they want, in their own channels. Nothing is stopping you from opening a channel to discuss subjects that are best not being brought up in #zandronum.
HexaDoken wrote:TL;DR version - If you do not like #zandronums daily conversations, do not read them. My today's two cents on a shiny plate.
That has been going on for a long time, and it just gives zandronum a bad name overall. As I said, nothing is stopping anybody from opening their own channel and talk trash all they want.
Image

User avatar
Hammerfest-
Forum Regular
Posts: 209
Joined: Sat Jun 02, 2012 2:45 am
Clan: A3.33333333333333333
Clan Tag: A3.33333333

RE: #zandronum IQ

#28

Post by Hammerfest- » Wed Jan 23, 2013 6:43 pm

HexaDoken wrote: If reading a conversation gives you a headache, stop reading it. Doing so has got me far.

Quite frankly, Zandronum IQ is for the most part a pile of trash. Quite frankly, I do not really see a problem in that. Yeah, people are messed up badly... that does not however make them any less like people.

I am not a native english/american, but I have heard of such an interesting concept as "liberty of speech". I think it grants people the right to discuss whatever topics and not fear to be shot down just because somebody thinks it's stupid.

There are a lot of conversations in #zandronum upon seeing which I just /part instantly because they make my head explode. But should I be a IRCOP, I would not actually ban or mute participants of most of those conversations. Not even warn them. Sure, I do not like them. But if I just banned anything I didn't like, everything around me would be an empty wasteland. Plus if I do not like something that doesn't mean it's bad.

There are some cases when shit starts getting serious, and even a kind person like me would start applying bans/mutes, but theese are very rare. I haven't seen much of a shitstorm for a while now. A long while.

TL;DR version - If you do not like #zandronums daily conversations, do not read them. My today's two cents on a shiny plate.
I assumed conversations on #zandronum would be mostly about...well, Zandronum.

I must be new here!
Swift as a breeze, fierce as a gale.

Zupoman
Forum Regular
Posts: 110
Joined: Tue Jun 26, 2012 6:30 pm

RE: #zandronum IQ

#29

Post by Zupoman » Wed Jan 23, 2013 7:31 pm

Dynamo wrote: As I said, nothing is stopping anybody from opening their own channel and talk trash all they want.
It's very easy to create a channel. However, getting people in there is hard as hell. Because people tend to leave channels that have a very low amount of users, unless there's something that keeps them in that channel.

For example, people stay in #bestever because it hosts servers remotely.

The reason why people are in #Zandronum is... because they are automatically directed here. Simple. And this way, if you are not on #Zandronum, then generally it is hard to PM you. Getting banned from #Zandronum is no fun.

This makes #Zandronum ideal for trolling. Especially that IRC clients announce you when your name is said. :rolleyes:

And, if we are gonna, for example, make a channel called #stupid or #troll or #offtopic, nobody will join it unless it will be joined automatically.

You may be versus trolling or such, but if you will kill trolling, free talking will generally die. Yes. It will die. Free talking is pretty close to trolling. So people will stop talking freely on #Zandronum, and focus on forum offtopic zone. And guess what. Trolling will also go there thus. And there will be more dramas. People will scream asking why they were banned, or just leaving from community (== dead port).
Dynamo wrote: and it just gives zandronum a bad name overall
No it does not. Zandronum has got an intelligent forum and a nice website, so why IRC should give it a bad name? Free talking shouldn't give it a bad name. Trolling? Trolling is a part of free talking. Derp.

I am definitely versus doing anything with current #Zandronum (or actually past #Zandronum, because anti-trolling campaign has already begun), because I want to occassionally comment something, or troll somebody with something, or anything. And my own channel won't give me these options, because there won't be any people in it. Derp.
DERP. :evil: :evil: :evil:

Sorry if my answer was kinda inconsistent or hard to read. And sorry for shitty English.
Last edited by Zupoman on Wed Jan 23, 2013 7:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
This signature is empty and useless, I would write another useless idiotism here but people will call me a noob for that, so sorry, no more signatures for you. Go somewhere else.

Dynamo
Retired Staff / Community Team Member
Posts: 154
Joined: Fri May 25, 2012 5:16 am

RE: #zandronum IQ

#30

Post by Dynamo » Wed Jan 23, 2013 8:01 pm

Hammerfest- wrote:I assumed conversations on #zandronum would be mostly about...well, Zandronum.

I must be new here!
Indeed! But according to Zupoman it's more important for him to occasionally troll people with something than try to get the channel to be relevant to its name sake, so yeah I guess I have missed out on the true purpose of #zandronum. My bad!





Zupoman wrote:It's very easy to create a channel. However, getting people in there is hard as hell. Because people tend to leave channels that have a very low amount of users, unless there's something that keeps them in that channel.
Not my problem. If we did it, so can you. None of my business.

Zupoman wrote:For example, people stay in #bestever because it hosts servers remotely.
And talk about the BE servers is all I've seen in there.
Zupoman wrote:And this way, if you are not on #Zandronum, then generally it is hard to PM you. Getting banned from #Zandronum is no fun.
Then next time follow the moderators' advice so you won't get banned instead of provoking and I assure you everybody will be able to PM you just fine. And just so you know, threatening the staff (as pathetic as that is) isn't gonna make the ban last less.
Zupoman wrote:This makes #Zandronum ideal for trolling. Especially that IRC clients announce you when your name is said. :rolleyes:
Technically you are not supposed to "troll" (if what you do counts as such because if so you need to take lessons) #zandronum at all, so, yeah.
Zupoman wrote:And, if we are gonna, for example, make a channel called #stupid or #troll or #offtopic, nobody will join it unless it will be joined automatically.
That's because, unlike you, most people come here to play the game and to talk about zandronum/mapping or any sort of argument that resembles an intelligent discussion. I'm sorry not everyone in this community is a webcomic troll artist.
Zupoman wrote:You may be versus trolling or such, but if you will kill trolling, free talking will generally die. Yes. It will die.
I am pretty sure my moderating history (as well as that of the rest of the staff) on #zandronum proves otherwise, nobody was ever banned simply for stating their opinion. THAT is when freedom of speech would die, not when banning someone who refused to even listen to what the mods had to say.
Zupoman wrote:Free talking is pretty close to trolling.
lmao
Zupoman wrote:So people will stop talking freely on #Zandronum, and focus on forum offtopic zone.
To be fair ever since you got banned people talked freely about their mods and anything on their mind that wasn't retarded, so I'm not sure where you're getting all this stuff from.
Zupoman wrote:And guess what. Trolling will also go there thus. And there will be more dramas.
Is this a threat?
Zupoman wrote:People will scream asking why they were banned, or just leaving from community (== dead port).
It has already happened and it had nothing to do with zandronum, but in all fairness I won't lose any sleep if some people decide to quit.
Zupoman wrote:Trolling? Trolling is a part of free talking. Derp.
So is linking to shock sites and warez, doesn't mean you are supposed to do it. Freedom of speech won't die because the moderators have let everyone say what they want in the channel for a long time and just because we banned a few people (for which many people were also grateful, by the way) doesn't mean we are now preventing anyone from saying anything.








And the meat of the post:
Zupoman wrote:because I want to occassionally comment something, or troll somebody with something, or anything. And my own channel won't give me these options, because there won't be any people in it.
What your entire post has been saying since the start was that since you like to troll #zandronum, then the staff should leave you alone and not say anything just because your favorite internet hobby is to apparently act like an idiot on an IRC channel, and that is why your entire argument makes absolutely no sense from an objective point of view. I could suggest you to seek psychiatric assistance but that would be low from my part, so I won't say that and instead I will just suggest you find either a new hobby (like playing the actual game, maybe), or find another IRC channel to troll. There are so many IRC channels (far bigger than #zandronum even) that it's only a matter of which one to pick.





Just to clarify, though: we aren't doing any major changes with #zandronum, all we did (or rather, all *I* did) was ban a few people from the channel (one of which, Mati, himself asked to be banned). The rest of the channel is the same as ever. The only difference is that without Zupoman posting dumb shit it feels like a far nicer place.
Last edited by Dynamo on Wed Jan 23, 2013 8:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Image

Nautilus
 
Posts: 31
Joined: Wed Jan 23, 2013 3:38 pm
Location: Having dinner with your family

RE: #zandronum IQ

#31

Post by Nautilus » Wed Jan 23, 2013 8:26 pm

It took me only five days of hanging around in #zandronum....


...to realize that it's one of the perfect places for love. I'm very glad to have been a part of the romantic community of Zandronum along with Antlint, who has proven to be an extraordinary wingman. I've discovered some of my deepest, most hidden passions, one of which is my love for the feel of bearskin.
Last edited by Nautilus on Wed Jan 23, 2013 8:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Zupoman
Forum Regular
Posts: 110
Joined: Tue Jun 26, 2012 6:30 pm

RE: #zandronum IQ

#32

Post by Zupoman » Wed Jan 23, 2013 9:08 pm

Spoiler: irony (Open)
[quote=Dynamo]I have missed out on the true purpose of #zandronum. My bad![/quote]
[quote=Dynamo]lmao[/quote]
[quote=Dynamo]I could suggest you to seek psychiatric assistance[/quote]
irony (or even sarcasm).
Okay. My post was badly argumented, and generally shitty. :evil:
Yeah, my arguments are wrong.
Spoiler: Dynamo (Open)
And just so you know, threatening the staff (as pathetic as that is) isn't gonna make the ban last less.
Umm... what threatening?
Oh, maybe you mean what I sent you through JOJ?

hint: it was a prank/troll. (looks like it was more than successful)
Spoiler: Dynamo (Open)
Technically you are not supposed to "troll" (if what you do counts as such because if so you need to take lessons) #zandronum at all, so, yeah.
Well well well. There is multiple definitions of trolling, but it is generally making mess in places where people should talk. Sounds bannable.

Unobviously, trolling is an art. But I am a weak troll, so I often troll shittily. And yeah, shitty trolling is shitty, and shittiness should be banned. (that is sad, because I love doing that).
Spoiler: Dynamo (Open)
(if what you do counts as such because if so you need to take lessons)
Yes it is trolling. But shitty.
Spoiler: Dynamo (Open)
lmao
Yes. Free talking is filled with idiotism and shitty trolling. But now I am gonna agree, #Zandronum may not be a place for that... :cry:
Spoiler: Dynamo (Open)
So is linking to shock sites and warez, doesn't mean you are supposed to do it.
Trolling != shock sites and warez. Trolling is an art. Shock sites are not trolling. It is just breaking rules.
Spoiler: Dynamo (Open)
Is this a threat?
Are you paranoid?
Spoiler: Dynamo (Open)
Just to clarify, though: we aren't doing any major changes with #zandronum, all we did (or rather, all *I* did) was ban a few people from the channel (one of which, Mati, himself asked to be banned). The rest of the channel is the same as ever. The only difference is that without Zupoman posting dumb shit it feels like a far nicer place.
Look. I totally listened to you when you told me to do not post my comics. But I decided to troll you individually, delivered you some comics made especially for you, and you banned me. Yes you had a reason.
(lol I wonder how long is that ban).

Yeah, my previous post was generally wrong. I think I shouldn't post it actually. Sorry. Derp.
This signature is empty and useless, I would write another useless idiotism here but people will call me a noob for that, so sorry, no more signatures for you. Go somewhere else.

User avatar
Dusk
Developer
Posts: 581
Joined: Thu May 24, 2012 9:59 pm
Location: Turku

RE: #zandronum IQ

#33

Post by Dusk » Wed Jan 23, 2013 9:21 pm

If everything you find fun is trolling and it should be made not a bannable offense.. I think you should just leave right now.

Synert
Forum Regular
Posts: 228
Joined: Mon Jun 04, 2012 12:54 pm
Contact:

RE: #zandronum IQ

#34

Post by Synert » Wed Jan 23, 2013 9:23 pm

Zupoman wrote: stuff
tl;dr "I'm mad that I got banned for being a dumbass but it's cool because I WAS ONLY PRETENDING TO BE RETARDED"

Zupoman
Forum Regular
Posts: 110
Joined: Tue Jun 26, 2012 6:30 pm

RE: #zandronum IQ

#35

Post by Zupoman » Wed Jan 23, 2013 9:34 pm

Synert wrote:
Zupoman wrote: stuff
tl;dr "I'm mad that I got banned for being a dumbass but it's cool because I WAS ONLY PRETENDING TO BE RETARDED"
no.

tl;dr My previous post was retarded.
This signature is empty and useless, I would write another useless idiotism here but people will call me a noob for that, so sorry, no more signatures for you. Go somewhere else.

Qent
Retired Staff / Community Team Member
Posts: 1424
Joined: Tue May 29, 2012 7:56 pm
Contact:

RE: #zandronum IQ

#36

Post by Qent » Wed Jan 23, 2013 11:00 pm

Trolling is saying or doing things to provoke an angry reaction for your entertainment. Can you see why doing so to a moderator (especially after getting warned not to) would obviously and rightfully get you banned?

Eric
New User
Posts: 8
Joined: Sun Jun 03, 2012 7:11 pm

RE: #zandronum IQ

#37

Post by Eric » Wed Jan 23, 2013 11:27 pm

Zupoman wrote:stuff
Dude, you're kind of an asshole.

Metal
Retired Staff / Community Team Member
Posts: 577
Joined: Fri May 25, 2012 1:18 am
Location: Canada

RE: #zandronum IQ

#38

Post by Metal » Thu Jan 24, 2013 1:06 am

Free talking is pretty close to trolling.
What the shit...?


I think you're pretty misguided on the description of "trolling" and "Free speech". They are both very different things.
<EazyDI>harrased me
<EazyDI>and called me a dinner
<EazyDI>n*****
<EazyDI>lmao not dinner

legion
Retired Staff / Community Team Member
Posts: 315
Joined: Sat Jun 02, 2012 7:36 am

RE: #zandronum IQ

#39

Post by legion » Thu Jan 24, 2013 6:56 am

free speech is the ability to debate (appropriate) things openly without fear of repercussion

good speech: the use of contraception, how it applies to the real world, and the morality, et cetera
bad speech: how large <insertnamehere>'s sexual organs are, <insertnamehere>'s mother's sexual organs, or how <insertnamehere>'s mother uses said sexual organs, et cetera

the last time I talked in there, someone was being berated for disagreeing with someone else's viewpoint on skyrim vs oblivion vs morrowind being good games, and the guy was called a "retard" and the antagonist just quit irc right afterwards
Image

Nautilus
 
Posts: 31
Joined: Wed Jan 23, 2013 3:38 pm
Location: Having dinner with your family

RE: #zandronum IQ

#40

Post by Nautilus » Fri Jan 25, 2013 5:30 pm

So you're saying talking about contraception is good, but talking about sex itself is not?

Goes to show how this whole place runs on a fucked up double-standard heh

Locked