AeonDM - Review by a Bandwagoner

Official ZanStuff sub-forum. Project reviews go here.

Moderator: Slyfox

Slyfox
ZanStuff Reviewer

AeonDM - Review by a Bandwagoner

Post by Slyfox » Mon Dec 12, 2016 7:45 pm

Note: Since this has a cacoward and this is practically all I've been playing in terms of anything other than ctf or survival for the past couple months I might as well stop letting this area die and review it [hopefully a bit different than what cacowards stated].
No logo [Boi yall need to make one]
Created by (Mechanix Union)
Project Background: "Hi friends, after too long I decided to make an AeonDM topic for Zandronum. What is AeonDM? Well if you played DBAB (which you probably have dozens of times) AeonDM is the spiritual successor of DBAB in every way. Originally it was going to be a small DM pack by Decay and I, with both of us putting in 5 maps each. But then we got more maps in from other members and now have launched a soon-to-be megawad that started sometime in January! Horray!"

Content: Contains maps for LMS, TLMS, TDM and DM. Tagging along with said map pack are Eon weapons including the quake lightning gun and a grenade launcher, as well as balancing out the other Doom weapons for slightly less SSGDM matches. In terms of this review I'll mainly just be talking about the gameplay moreso than the detailing, as I do not really focus very hard on it unless it it in my face bad/good.
(Gameplay)
Aw yea, the lengthiest part of this review. So lets start with maps like Lava laboratory by Razgriz. It contains several small bridges and rooms for you to navigate, all the while in the middle theres a lord snot firing and whoever he feels like, pretty much turning this map into total chaos during battle. Maps like these where you can hop around the map avoiding random projectiles while still fragging on people all around you is what keeps this map pack fun. There are open maps for fragging and whatnot for those heavy killers such as Havoc or Techno-Junky. There are tighter maps for the more tactical [or straight up slaughter depending on the number of players] such as Haven or Silo. You have quake-like maps and you also have your gimick or easter egg maps for whoever wants that added twist into their gameplay. Overall there are less than a handful of maps I felt kind of dragged on when played, but the rest had me in the server for hours regardless of what add-ons I dishing out kills with.

The spawns for most of the maps hand you decent weapon, with the stronger weapons still within your grasp without getting completely terrorized by an ssg wielding player controlling a specific area. With the Eon weapons the shotgun and other weapons and stand up to the ssg, so theres a lot less of a chance of you being killed repeatedly while holding a weaker weapon over and over again.
(Detailing)

The maps in terms of detailing look awesome. Some maps with even simple detailing such as Arg's Heliomaster map look appealing and you don't find yourself getting caught on randomly placed bits of details as well.
(Eon Weapons)

The added weapons [lightning gun, grenade launcher, railgun] actually feel like they're needed for this map pack to thrive in terms of weapon balance. The railgun isn't able to be spammed, but at the same time nice aiming will grant you plenty of kills. The lightning gun can compete with the king of close combat ssg when used properly, and the grenade launcher is great for tight corridors. The shotgun doesn't feel like trash and the chaingun and rocket launcher feel smooth as well. It is quite a pleasing sight when you spot people preferring other weapons over the ssg in certain situations a lot more often.
Rating:
Fun Factor - 10 / 10 - I play this map pack with damn near every other wad I can think of [GVH, hell even Megaman]

Balance - 9.5 / 10 - I did not play this much in DM, but there were only a handful of times I actually was like 'fuck that spawn with the chaingun' and that was probably because I missed everything

Creativity - 9 / 10 - I can spot a couple of sources of inspiration here and there, but overall these maps look quite unique from crazy gameplay centered around a monster wailing at you, to death battles in disco platforms.

Replay Value - 10 / 10 - If you're bored you probably haven't tried any other competitive or class-based wads with it like I have

9.5 / 10
Have an ice day

Mobius
Banned
Location: The center of the A3's controversial and machiavellian conspiracy
Clan: Cube
Clan Tag: Aᵌ
Banned: Permanently

Re: AEON DM - Review by a Bandwagoner

Post by Mobius » Mon Dec 12, 2016 10:53 pm

Terrible review. The name of the mappack is called AeonDM and add some criticism ffs Decay makes the same map in 3 separate wads.
dewsome: i can do this all day
dewsome: do you think you're somehow special? i spent years arguing with nostar, jenova, mobius
<+Thomas13> Mobius u r inferior, go outside and get beaten up
Alfonzo ~ "I wonder who will hear him trash talk when the dirt closes over him?"

Slyfox
ZanStuff Reviewer

Re: AEON DM - Review by a Bandwagoner

Post by Slyfox » Mon Dec 12, 2016 10:57 pm

Mobius wrote:Terrible review. The name of the mappack is called AeonDM and add some criticism ffs Decay makes the same map in 3 separate wads.
Ok thats an easy fix, and for the second part I'm reviewing this wad in particular, I did not review any of the wads his map was in a 2nd or 3rd time so theres not really much I'll do about that