Wrath of Cronos - Review by The Main Man

Official ZanStuff sub-forum. Project reviews go here.

Moderator: Slyfox

Slyfox
ZanStuff Reviewer

Wrath of Cronos - Review by The Main Man

Post by Slyfox » Sun Apr 03, 2016 6:01 am

It was gonna happen eventually... I play it damn near everyday.
NO LOGO OH NO
Created by Thetis
Project Background: "The main features of the mod includes a skill, experience, and stat system, a menu system with an appearance similar to The Ultimate Doomer's Serpent Resurrection menu system, Monsters that become slightly stronger as you level up, a new HUD, and an alchemy system (Credits to Worst)."

Content: A LOT. so, seperate sections, away!
(Classes/Weapons)
The classes available at the moment are: Necromancer, Mage, Fighter, Hunter, and Cleric.

Mage - His ability to regenerate mana later on in the game is damn near game changing on some map packs. [We actually ran through a ammo-less map pack with a Mage, rofl] His spells are very strong and so are his weapons. This class is a wonderful support, but if you get too careless you can easily die to the higher tiered mosnters Unforunately, hes also one of the squishiest classes in the mod.

Cleric - The easiest class to learn in my opinion, has a healing spell and also some good damaging weapons to hold. Hes also pretty squishy, but puting some points into constitution can help with that nicely. When he reaches high enough levels however, He can literally demolish rooms with ease, probably making this class the strongest of them all if built right, due to his amazing heal spell.

Fighter - One of the two classes I play the most, so I can be a lot more specific with this one. The fighter is a front-line tank, capable of [in later levels of course] deflecting attacks from monsters and generally just being a brick wall for the team. This class is slightly harder than the cleric, but still easy; just make sure you watch your deflection time, and when to charge into the front lines. The class doesn't have many ranged weapons besides the bfg replacement, so sniping of course isn't probable with this class. Higher levels enable this fighter to be able to take the most punishment in the mod, and still walk away taunting.

Hunter - The second class I play a lot. This class focuses a lot more on ranged powerful weapons. He can set traps throughout the map and can easily snipe out monsters. Later on in the game the hunter is capable of generating the most points with its extremely high damage output with its damage amplification passive spells. Higher levels allow this archer to pretty much one-shot grunts with his weapons, and murder bosses with his traps.

Necromancer - A very squishy [low hp] class [unless you add a bit to hp early on], but can easily become one of the most powerful classes in the whole mod. His weapons are crazy later on, has the ability to summon minions, and has obscenely strong damaging auras when maxed out. None of that matters though, when a hellknight can possibly one-shot you, making this class the hardest in my opinion to learn.
(Monsters)

The monsters, oh boy the monsters. They level up along with you, [most of the time they're a higher level than you] so they don't get weaker throughout the wad. With that in mind however, eventually the classes get so strong that the enemy's level only makes them tankier, with the damage department pretty much staying the same. I say that now, but let me tell you; even the lowest tier monsters can kill you by themselves if you underestimate them. Cultists do a shit ton of damage regardless of your level, and they're practically shotgun guy replacements.

The higher tier monsters [hellknights and up] can actually 2 shot you regardless of level, if you don't put a bunch of points into health later on in the game. Archviles can one-shot you with their alternate attack if you're not careful, and the same goes 5 fold for the Maulotaur and Death wyvern possibly the most intimidating bosses into the entire wad. The heresiarch however, doesn't feel all that fearful, in fact with everyone I play with, they feel like just a waste of time fighting them since their shield just stalls the battle for countless minutes. Theres also this annoying 'black' weredragon type monster that spawns untargetable ghouls to drain your HP if you pain-lock it, and boy is that monster stupid-tier in the power department. Eventually you'll start blowing through these monsters in the higher levels, but if you play carelessly, don't expect a long life. Smaller sized maps, or maps with no cover is where these monsters thrive in, since the classes are really squishy when starting with nothing.
Spoiler: Some gameplay footage (Open)
phpBB [media]

The whole playlist, if you wanna watch more, thanks to my boy TeslaStormX for the footage!
Rating:
Fun Factor - 10 / 10 - If you look on our Team Speak, we have literally over 10 megawads played with this. I literally cannot get enough of this wad.

Balance - 8.5 / 10 - I feel like overall its decently balanced, but as you level up more it becomes "I can kill everything with absolutely no repercussions, unless I'm Ral" tier at the end of most megawads. Some monsters can still nuke you however.

Creativity - 7.5 / 10 - The RPG system keeps this on a unique level compared to the other survival wads, but all in all a lot of the monsters are straight from hexen/heretic, or hexen/heretic based R667 monsters.

Replay Value - 10 / 10 - So many different ways to level your class, so many combinations to try, We actually discuss this stuff for almost hours with either Mobius or Razgriz.
9 / 10
Wrath of a REAL CHALLENGE Confirmed

Combinebobnt
Retired Staff / Community Team Member

Re: Wrath of Chronos - Review by The Main Man

Post by Combinebobnt » Sun Apr 03, 2016 6:02 am

Great review, nice unfinished number for the rating too, just like the wad.

Rip thetis in popsoap heaven :-(

Empyre
Zandrone

Post by Empyre » Sun Apr 03, 2016 3:41 pm

Combinebobnt wrote:Rip thetis in popsoap heaven :-(
Wait, did thetis, or popsoap, or both of them die!? :-O
"For the world is hollow, and I have touched the sky."

Combinebobnt

Post by Combinebobnt » Sun Apr 03, 2016 3:55 pm

Dead activity wise. Popsoap u only see like once a year now.

Dranzer
Forum Regular
Clan: squared

Re: Wrath of Cronos - Review by The Main Man

Post by Dranzer » Sun Apr 03, 2016 8:57 pm

good review except the part where fighter was hard
<Galactus>you're lightyears away from having me banned for this

^ 3 month ban (6months now nice evade)

Grymmoire

Post by Grymmoire » Sun Apr 03, 2016 9:00 pm

This is a decent review, though it's not really super informative.

It's good that this thread has some replies, because it shows that Slyfox actually has some friends.

Razgriz
Forum Staff

Post by Razgriz » Sun Apr 03, 2016 9:07 pm

Nice though I would say Mage is Squishier than Necro since you start with less health and your health bonus per level up is only 2 for a while.

Mobius
Banned
Location: The center of the A3's controversial and machiavellian conspiracy
Clan: Cube
Clan Tag: Aᵌ
Banned: Permanently

Post by Mobius » Sun Apr 03, 2016 9:09 pm

Slyfox wrote: Cleric - The easiest class to learn in my opinion, has a healing spell and also some good damaging weapons to hold. Hes also pretty squishy, but puting some points into constitution can help with that nicely.
What. Who the hell puts points into constitution for the cleric? You have to play extremely bad to waste anything on that. Cleric is the second toughest class other than Warrior with a better support of defensive auras like Perseverance.
Slyfox wrote:When he reaches high enough levels however, He can literally demolish rooms with ease, probably making this class the strongest of them all if built right, due to his amazing heal spell.
More like Divine Punishment and instant win all over.
Slyfox wrote:The class doesn't have many ranged weapons besides the bfg replacement, so sniping of course isn't probable with this class.
Dragon Claw on a proper Intelligent/Strength warrior build.
Slyfpx wrote:His weapons are crazy later on,
Only Ravenstaff and Bloodcepter, and the latter being a super boss killer on a genius necro build (almost pure intelligence). Lich Staff is good against corridors of monsters and Swim With The Whales.

[spoiler]Image
Image[/spoiler]
dewsome: i can do this all day
dewsome: do you think you're somehow special? i spent years arguing with nostar, jenova, mobius
<+Thomas13> Mobius u r inferior, go outside and get beaten up
Alfonzo ~ "I wonder who will hear him trash talk when the dirt closes over him?"

Slyfox
ZanStuff Reviewer

Post by Slyfox » Mon Apr 04, 2016 9:17 am

Mobius wrote: What. Who the hell puts points into constitution for the cleric? You have to play extremely bad to waste anything on that. Cleric is the second toughest class other than Warrior with a better support of defensive auras like Perseverance.
I'll agree with that actually; the healing on cleric is stupid later on in the game, potions aren't even needed at that point. Some newer poeple on the other hand, won't always be experienced enough to reach that high of a level on certain map packs, without at least donating a couple levels of points into health to allow a margin of error.

More like Divine Punishment and instant win all over.
Yes, later levels this spell is pretty broken.
Dragon Claw on a proper Intelligent/Strength warrior build.
Actually forgot about that weapon for a sec, that is definitely on point.
Only Ravenstaff and Bloodcepter, and the latter being a super boss killer on a genius necro build (almost pure intelligence). Lich Staff is good against corridors of monsters and Swim With The Whales.
I agree, although Gaunlets of the Necro tend to help as a last ditch survival weapon when confronted with mid-tier monster traps; its saved my ass plenty of times in map packs full of traps like sunlust.
[spoiler]Image
Image[/spoiler]
Rofl, Those points though.

Thanks for the specifics, really shows that some people are already providing whats meta and whats not in terms of builds for the classes.