Waist Deep in Blood - Review by Slyfox

Official ZanStuff sub-forum. Project reviews go here.

Moderator: Slyfox

Slyfox
ZanStuff Reviewer

Waist Deep in Blood - Review by Slyfox

Post by Slyfox » Tue Feb 16, 2016 1:50 am

(No logo's a No-go)
Created by Doomkid
Project Background: "The name is a nod to Drown in Blood and Knee Deep in the Dead because those are both awesome sets of maps (duh). The difficulty sits almost directly between the two, fittingly enough. Due to it's vanilla nature, it's compatible with just about any gun/gameplay mods you can throw it's way, though if you want to play it with Complex Doom for example, you're gonna be really grateful I put in those easier difficulties."

Content: Theres only one map so not much content here folks. In terms of detailing I'm not exactly an expert in that field, but I can at least say the map looks pretty old-school and you can easily tell the theme of the whole level. What I focus on as always, is the gameplay. I played this on UV, cause c'mon who doesn't want a challenge right? The beginning is already intimidating, with a cyberdemon and 2 archviles in sight, although they don't wake up until far later in the map.

This map balances the difficulty very well, you certainly have enough ammo to handle each area so long as your aim isn't horrid and you are smart with what weapons to use in what situation. The berserk pack also helps with the conserving your ammo, so most of the time you shouldn't be desperately searching for ammo the whole damn time. Theres actually 2 cybers in this map, and both of them I handled with enough ammo to still proceed easily towards the end. [Although I had this close call where the cyber and archvile followed me through the teleporter to the last area rofl]

Gameplay Footage [spoilers aaaa] - http://www.twitch.tv/king_slyfox/v/45776685

Rating:
Fun Factor - 8 / 10 - I enjoyed this challenging map, although I will admit it was a bit short.
Balance - 9 / 10 - If you're a competent player, you should have ammo all the time, period.
Creativity - 8 / 10 - Feels oldschool, layout's obviously unique though. Just a basic map all in all.
Replay Value - 6 / 10 - Problem with short one map wads like this, is that it gets stale pretty quick after beating it on the hardest difficulty, unless of course you're one of those completionist/speedrunners

7.75 / 10

Sorry if this one is a bit short, a longer review would require even more spoiling of the map
also, #zanstuff on irc is a thing now
Last edited by Slyfox on Tue Feb 16, 2016 2:18 am, edited 1 time in total.

Razgriz
Forum Staff

RE: Waist Deep in Blood - Review by Slyfox

Post by Razgriz » Tue Feb 16, 2016 2:22 am

Nice review, I would probably play with Nightmare+ Complexed doom to increase difficulty.
<PUN1SH3R> Cube has a magnetic effect
<PUN1SH3R> all other clans are in orbit with us, they just dont know it
<PUN1SH3R> occasionally cube will pull a player into it's system
[Quote=DwangoUnited Website] Eyes has tainted the DWANGO name in World of Warcraft. Eyes owes several thousand gold to friends that offered to loan it to him. He's since cut us off completely, and is not planning on gaming or paying back what he owes leaving DWANGO United with the debt. You have hurt us in more ways than you can know, pal. I hope you're happy that we've bent over backwards for you. Thanks for paying us back with a spit in the face and a cold shoulder. By the way pal, your bfg skills suck ass.[/quote]
09:08 <Shane_> It's better being a cuck
09:08 <Shane_> Trust me, you'll learn one day

Doomkid
Frequent Poster Miles card holder
Clan: UniDoom
Clan Tag: [UD]

Post by Doomkid » Tue Feb 16, 2016 5:02 am

I appreciate the review man, I definitely plan on improving my visuals from here on out, I just get too damn lazy with it sometimes, there's no real excuse for it at this point. Thanks!

dart620
Banned
Banned: Permanently

Post by dart620 » Tue Feb 16, 2016 8:40 am

Not the best review. You could say something about difficulty and is there at least one cyber-demon.

Slim
Zandrone
Clan: Can't fit it in here
Clan Tag: -=FSR=-

Post by Slim » Tue Feb 16, 2016 8:50 am

dart620 wrote: Not the best review. You could say something about difficulty
Slyfox wrote: This map balances the difficulty very well,
dart620 wrote:and is there at least one cyber-demon.
Slyfox wrote: The beginning is already intimidating, with a cyberdemon and 2 archviles in sight,
Slyfox wrote: Theres actually 2 cybers in this map,
I think you need your eyes checked Dart.
Last edited by Slim on Tue Feb 16, 2016 8:51 am, edited 1 time in total.

"Your childish antics grow tiring. If you dare to fight me, then I accept your challenge: Anytime, anywhere." - Zero, Megaman X5
Spoiler: Quotes (Open)
5:54 PM - Slim: you're complaining about something so small that
5:54 PM - Lance: so? we do that all the time
5:55 PM - Lance: we're a bunch of losers complaining at a bar minus the bar
Spoiler: Galactus tried evading (Open)