OP Weapons [BETA 6] - Review by Slyfox

Official ZanStuff sub-forum. Project reviews go here.

Moderator: Slyfox

Slyfox
ZanStuff Reviewer

OP Weapons [BETA 6] - Review by Slyfox

Post by Slyfox » Fri Jan 01, 2016 9:19 pm

Op Weapons
Created by: Empyre
Project Background: Wad's purpose is basically to create overpowered weapons that are fun to use

Content:
I'll break it down by weapons:

Fist - The fist basically one shots and gibs everything up to cacos; the alt-fire consumes plasma and heals anything within melee range.

Chainsaw - The primary fire is beefed up to all hell, and the altfire throws a chainsawing damn near 1-shotting barons. Powered up version makes throwable chainsaws able to bounce off walls as well.

Pistol - Fires a rail that gibs all the lower-tier enemies easily. The altifre is a simple zoom feature with 2 distances.

Shotgun - Fires powerful hitscan that gibs low-tiers; alt-fire fires an even larger spread that murders cybers in just about 5 shots.

SSG - Fires ripping plasma bolts that can bounce off walls [can easily 1-shot a cyber with the proper room] Alt-fire shoots an archvile like attack that murders whatever you're looking at without much need to aim. Powered up primary fire allows you to fire even more plasma bolts [probably 3-4x more than normal]

Chaingun - Same exact thing as the pistol, but rapid fire; alt-fire is the same as well with the 2 distance zoom function

Rocket launcher - Fires beefed up rockets, can 3 shot a cyber; Alt-fire shoots a homing rocket launcher than can also bounce off walls. Powered up primary fires a giant rocket with humungous splash damage, that also releases a hail of mancubi shots. Secondary launches a ohko lost soul.

Plasma Rifle - Shoots plasma balls that freezes enemies; alt-fire shoots floor hugging cacodemon blasts that can rip through enemies. Powered up version primary fire shoots mini bfg balls, with the alt-fire launching floor hugging mancubi shots.

BFG9000 - Shoots a bfgball on steroids that 1-shots cybers; alt-fire launchers floor hugging mancubi blasts that rip through enemies in a complete circle around you. Powered up version shoots even more bfg balls on primary fire in a circle, and streams of fire in a circle [after a brief delay of the icon of sin awakening sound] Note: I tried it with chillax, it sounded kind of cool with the icon voice changing to 'You can never defeat me'

The weapons all in all: All of the weapons are as the title described as 'over powered', but the weapons don't really have what makes op weapons fun in the first place. If you look at some other op weapon mods that were fun as hell [of course I'm going to mention Russian overkill] they showed huge explosions and some unique weapons as well. I feel for an over powered weapon mod to hold its novelty it needs to have uniquely powered weapons that makes you wanna jump into a slaughter wad and test them all out on hordes of monsters. The berserk power up makes projectiles reflect off of you, gives you an obscene amount of hp [36,000-something? empyre mentioned the exact amount in his post]. You can stack megaspheres and soulspheres, making you have enough hp to complete all of map 25 in av with just the fist and still have over 1000.
Rating:
Fun Factor - 5 / 10 - I lasted 20 minutes playing before boredom ensued.
Balance - ?? / 10 - I mean its an op weapons mod y'know...
Creativity - 7 / 10 - I mean I feel like I've seen most of this implemented in some way already since they're not that advanced to begin with, the power-ups however do add an interesting twist [rocket launcher spawning a ohko lost soul.
Replay Value - 4 / 10 - I don't think I could play this more than twice max with its basic arsenal

6 / 10
Last edited by Slyfox on Sat Jan 09, 2016 9:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Empyre
Zandrone

RE: OP Weapons [BETA 6] - Review by Slyfox

Post by Empyre » Fri Jan 01, 2016 9:47 pm

Thanks for reviewing my weapons mod, but I think you missed out on some of its features.

The fist alt-fire heals you, and a teammate if within melee range. It probably also heals monsters.
If you pick up a berserk (or invisibility or invulnerability), the already-OP weapons get even more OP, and you get 2 minutes of invulnerability.
The max health and armor have been increased to 30000, which is really high, yet avoids the negative numbers you get in Russian Overkill if you go over 32767.
"For the world is hollow, and I have touched the sky."

Catastrophe
Retired Staff / Community Team Member

Post by Catastrophe » Fri Jan 01, 2016 9:59 pm

Concise and to the point, nice review.

Empyre
Zandrone

Post by Empyre » Tue Jan 05, 2016 11:49 am

I was hoping that you would revisit this, reviewing also the powered-up version of each weapon. Just grab a berserk pack, or invulnerability sphere, or invisibility, which will look like a translucent berserk pack. They all do exactly the same thing. I did that because not all maps will have a berserk pack. Or, type give opberserk in the console.

Slyfox
ZanStuff Reviewer

Post by Slyfox » Thu Jan 07, 2016 3:49 am

Sure why not
Edit: Sorry for not responding earlier, was busy and hadn't checked the forums in forever except for random stuff
Last edited by Slyfox on Thu Jan 07, 2016 4:03 am, edited 1 time in total.

Empyre
Zandrone

Post by Empyre » Sat Jan 09, 2016 9:01 pm

You still missed what the fist alt-fire does. It heals you and whatever is in melee range, whether it's a teammate, or a monster, so use it carefully.
Please notice that I am not trying to argue with you to bring up my score. I just wanted to clarify.