After Doom [Knee Deep in Hell] - Review by Slyfox

Official ZanStuff sub-forum. Project reviews go here.

Moderator: Slyfox

Slyfox
ZanStuff Reviewer

After Doom [Knee Deep in Hell] - Review by Slyfox

Post by Slyfox » Fri Dec 11, 2015 11:45 pm

No Logo Designed
Created by 00_Zombie_00
Project Background: "After Doom is modification of the eigth and final map of "Knee-Deep in the Dead". I always asked myself "what exacly happened after the portal guarded by the powerful barons in the map E1M8?". The phobos portal anomaly has to be fought from the roots of evil."

Content: The mod features 1 large new map, new weapon sounds and some monster sounds [most from D64]
phpBB [video]
The [video] tag is deprecated, please use the [media] tag
Gameplay: So, the beginning of the map is just the typical E1M8 start, except all the monsters are dead. The power ups and items and all that are in the same spot however, so you can stock up. Once you enter the supposed end of e1m8 and in reality grab a timesphere, that's where the real fun begins. This single map is definitely a sight for sore eyes; my first look on it had me pumped to explore the rest of this place as I ran through randomly killing monsters to figure out where I'm headed. Although I was lost every once in a while, this map is pretty easy to proceed through. I was looking for a challenge, and boy did I get one. Simply blowing ammo through everything won't get you far, and you should be not be reckless as the health is sparse in the larger populated areas. A couple of times I died at the spider mastermind level because I'd blown through my health in the previous room, as I could not for the life of me find any health packs anywhere unless I attempted to backtrack all the way.

The weapons and monster sounds are from mainly D64, which actually fits with the theme of this map. I don't usually pay much attention to a map's detail [being a ctf player and all] but this map's design really felt like what a hellish themed map should look like.
Rating:
Fun Factor - 10 / 10 - I enjoyed it through and through, only was lost
a handful of times cause I suck at single player

Balance - 8 / 10 - Could be a little more generous with the health, but its beatable

Creativity - 9 / 10 - Re-uses some things such as the sounds, but the rest of the map is unique in my opinion

Replay Value - 7 / 10 - It's only one map so I don't really know how many times you can replay this before it gets stale, but I did retry on several occaisons to see if I could manage better, so maybe theres replay value in there somewhere.

Total Rating: 8.5 / 10

[I'll probably doing one review a week in a pitiful attempt to revive this side of the forums, so if you have any critique hit me up]
Last edited by Slyfox on Fri Dec 11, 2015 11:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

00_Zombie_00
New User

RE: After Doom [Knee Deep in Hell] - Review by Slyfox

Post by 00_Zombie_00 » Sat Dec 26, 2015 1:53 am

your analysis motivates me to continue creating maps .It is a great honor to receive such a high score in your review. Thank you :)