Bosses from Hell - Review by Slyfox

Official ZanStuff sub-forum. Project reviews go here.

Moderator: Slyfox

Slyfox
ZanStuff Reviewer

Bosses from Hell - Review by Slyfox

Post by Slyfox » Wed Oct 15, 2014 9:40 am

Oh snap, look who is back! Yep its me making another review in an attempt to revive this dead forum area; This time I'll be reviewing:

Bosses from Hell
Project Background: "Marines use a hub of gateways to gain access to the throne rooms of Hell's bosses on Earth, and then ultimately bring the battle to Hell itself."

Note: I am not exactly the master of map design critique, so I'll mostly be talking about the gameplay.
Spoiler: Gameplay (Open)
Youtube trailer video:
phpBB [video]
The [video] tag is deprecated, please use the [media] tag
Gameplay:
phpBB [video]
The [video] tag is deprecated, please use the [media] tag
Content: So there is not a lot to talk about in this wad to be honest, its pretty straight forward: You have a time limit to deplete the bosses health to 0% in each level, every level featuring a different boss [sometimes they are assisted by 'guardians'] The first is a hub which you progress through as you continue to defeat all the bosses. There are 2 hubs in total: the earth hub and the hell hub. It's kind of a cool way to play co-op, especially since the usual time span I spend on co-op is literally about 5 minutes [unless its stronghold of course]. The bosses however, are what you've probably seen in literally every monster replacer mod ever, only super-sized and fitted with a wonderful health-bar at the top of the screen. I mean the very first boss is just a big blood demon, and it is pretty much impossible to get hit by it, making it quite a lackluster
start to this pack.
Spoiler: Spoiler, you've been warned (Open)
I'd go through each individual map, but its seriously just kill the boss within the time limit. I'll take about the last boss of each hub though.

The last boss of the earth hub is the diabolist. It's pretty decent in terms of challenge, and there are a bunch of pillars scattered around the map to help you avoid his attacks. The last boss of the hell hub is the netherworld queen [Looks like the alien queen from Duke Nukem] It has 2 guards and it has a flame-breath attack. To be honest, neither boss seemed the least bit exciting to me. Both bosses seem to have literally the original attack they were given from R667, and if they weren't.. well both bosses attacks are pretty underwhelming. I did not play the end map, but I looked at it and it's basically a credits map thats also a slaughter map.
Summary: This wad is pretty fun, but for me I lose interest on the 5th map. Killing bosses within the time limit stops this from being stale, but when damn near all of the bosses are from Realm667, just much larger; thats not exactly unique nor is that fun if you've played all of the wads that already used [and abused] these monsters.
If you want some quick fun with friends, killing bosses together and progressing through hubs knock yourself out, otherwise you'll probably play this for 30 minutes max.

Rating:
Fun Factor - 5 / 10 - As stated before, can last at max an hour on this wad. Bring friends, or else this is pretty snooze worthy.
Balance - 7 / 10 - Pretty balanced I guess, although some bosses are quite underwhelming.
Creativity - 4 / 10 - Realm667 with a countdown timer.
Replay Value - 6 / 10 - I guess with the ability to beat record times, it could keep you interested for a while..?

5.5 / 10 Hell needs some backup
Last edited by Slyfox on Tue Nov 11, 2014 8:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Hypnotoad
Retired Staff / Community Team Member

RE: Bosses from Hell - Review by Slyfox

Post by Hypnotoad » Sat Nov 08, 2014 5:04 am

Sorry this didn't get approved until now, I've only just seen this post; unfortunately unapproved posts don't show up on the "view new posts" link so I have to manually check the sub forum to see it. For future reference guys: please message me on irc to let me know you have a review waiting to get approved.
Last edited by Hypnotoad on Sat Nov 08, 2014 5:09 am, edited 1 time in total.

Slyfox
ZanStuff Reviewer

Re: Bosses from Hell - Review by Slyfox

Post by Slyfox » Sun Apr 03, 2016 7:01 pm

Well, now this and all my previous reviews fit the proper template now. So go ahead and read those classics [or bring torches out of rage] as they're updated.

arkore
Forum Regular

Re: Bosses from Hell - Review by Slyfox

Post by arkore » Mon Apr 04, 2016 7:47 am

When I first saw this review, I laughed so hard.

I agree with the review.

There have been some changes since this review (e.g. timer removed, in v2.x), and more significant changes still to come--which will be a v3.0 release.