Hard Weps [Revision 2] - Review by Slyfox

Official ZanStuff sub-forum. Project reviews go here.

Moderator: Slyfox

Slyfox
ZanStuff Reviewer

Hard Weps [Revision 2] - Review by Slyfox

Post by Slyfox » Sat Aug 09, 2014 9:58 am

Since someone actually posted a review here after like 10 years, it inspired me to make another.
NOTE: This review is based on my personal experience of the wad; that includes what is hard to me and what is easy. I know you're all doomgods like ancalagon and can wreck any survival map, but please consider I'm not the best at single player.
Walkthrough video:
No logo
By: Jwaffe

Project Background: Hard Weps is 2 new maps developed by Jwaffe, which are strive to be quite difficult. Before you probably say 'well are they cheap hard or actually difficult?' read through this and then judge that for yourself.

Content: Just note I'm not exactly the best at being a critic on the style and design of said maps, so I'll mostly be talking about the gameplay.

Map One
Oh boy, what a start; an RL and plasma at the start. This map was definitely difficult in the legitimate way. You convserve your rockets for the stronger enemies, and use your plasma only when you deem absolutely necessary; otherwise you'll be out of both in no time. The rooms are pretty small [minus the area with the mancubi [mancubuses, w/e] and require lots of movement and careful shots to take out the baddies without hurting your self by the rocket launcher. Most of the level is filled with arachnotrons, revenants and fatsos so a lot of dodging is required; it feels quite simple at first until the archviles arrive. Those archviles literally made me mad at one later point in the map [in a good way] because It completely fucked up my effort to save ammo and I had already cleared the room full of barons/fatsos/arachnotrons/etc. By the end of the map I was relieved until I saw the end filled with 2 arachs and 2 archviles; this map doesn't let you rest until all monsters are dead. I love it honestly; its hard but beatable, requires constant movement while carefully accessing your surroundings, and you can't run 'n' gun through the entire map blowing ammo like you've got all the rockets in the world.
Map Two
What a start. SSG, 2 revenants, a weird wall to block projectiles. This map is claustrophobic as heck; all the rooms are even smaller than the last map, and the monsters are still the same in general [fatsos, cacodemons, archviles] There is almost an archvile in every other room in this map, and some rooms can really fuck you over if you don't complete the subsequent maps without a high amount of HP. Idk if this map is finished, but the end had no exit; however i assumed the last part of the map was supposed to be the exit so its fine anyhow. O...k. This takes the difficulty just a bit high. The first one was balanced, but this one is pretty rediculous. Archviles EVERYWHERE, and a shit ton of revenants makes your day pretty damn bad. After I killed the revenants at the start and went to the left teleporter, I was met with an archvile and some zombiemen, and next thing I was stuck back at the start with a shit ton of monsters back up trying to murder that damn archvile with very limited ammo. This map could use some toning down on the archviles, seriously; a little bit of extra ammo would help immensely.

Spoiler: Gameplay (Open)
phpBB [media]

phpBB [media]

Rating:
Fun Factor - 8 / 10 - Very challenging first map, kind of frustrating on the second map.
Balance - 6 / 10 - For the same reason stated above; The second map is kind of rediculous.
Creativity - 8 / 10 - Nothing extraordinary about the maps, but they flow quite nicely.
Replay Value - 7 / 10 - Only two maps, but I guess you can challenge yourself to beat your previous records on them!

7.5 / 10 "I want a real CHALLENGE"
Last edited by Slyfox on Thu Aug 14, 2014 10:10 am, edited 1 time in total.

Catastrophe
Retired Staff / Community Team Member

RE: Hard Weps [Revision 2] - Review by Slyfox

Post by Catastrophe » Sun Aug 10, 2014 3:24 pm

Good review. (bumping because when I approved, it didn't show up as new)

jwaffe
Forum Regular

RE: Hard Weps [Revision 2] - Review by Slyfox

Post by jwaffe » Wed Aug 13, 2014 8:47 pm

Glad somebody got around to reviewing this, thanks

About MAP02, it does have an exit (in the starting area there's a yellow key door that leads to the exit area)

I sort of feel the same way as you do about MAP02. I think it's a little overboard on difficulty (especially the first room), I experimented with making that area larger so there's more space to move around and that seemed to help a lot.

Not sure if you found the secret path through the map (did you find the BFG?) though even the secret path is pretty insane as far as difficulty goes.

If you were wondering I have a few more unfinished/unreleased concepts that I never really had time to develop/fix up, it takes me a really long time to make survival maps and I've been busy, unfortunately. I think if I had the time I'd make this a 10 map megawad with tense, NIN-like midis.

Anyway thanks again, and I'm glad you liked MAP01, you might want to try MAP02 on an easier difficulty, eventually I'd like to fix it up and make it a little less cheap but it's got some interesting stuff in it.