Satanic - Reviewed by Slyfox

Official ZanStuff sub-forum. Project reviews go here.

Moderator: Slyfox

Slyfox
ZanStuff Reviewer

Satanic - Reviewed by Slyfox

Post by Slyfox » Sat Dec 21, 2013 12:44 am

Whats up peeps! I've been thinking the lack of reviews was killing me [Yes I actually read the reviews] So I've decided to try making my own.
So much for that logo
By: ???

Project Background: Satanic is a hardcore and (I think) challenging ZDoom weapon/gameplay mod. The player becomes a necromancer, who has joined the eternal war. So, you'll have a chance to use both the darkest spells of the underground necromaniac cult and the fire-arms (who would be so careless wandering the Doom world without a gun, huh?) The name of this mod came from the Warcraft III map 'Defence of the Ancients' (aka DotA), where player could assemble an artifact called Satanic, which granted player the ability to steal his enemies' life when attacking.

Content: A bunch, seperated into two categories.
Weapons
This wad is no joke when it was stated as a hardcore wad. There are absolutely no potions, and you recieve health by alt-firing the bloodmagic weapon you're given at the start. [Be careful though, it bounces back and can hurt you.... alot] The normal fire of the blood magic, cleanses the corpses, thus they're unable to be revived by archviles. The maledict eagle is pretty damn powerful, one-shots zombies, and has an altifre that uses blood when theres enough, and your hp when there isn't. What interests me though, is the mind control ability. You can use it to control a monster temporarily [although it sometimes seems to break] and use them to attack other monsters. The shotgun is kinda rediculous in my opinion [the spread is massive it lowers my fps firing at close-quarters combat] The shotgun's alt-fire charges with each click, and then releases all the shells stored in one over-powered blast. Zombie-men rarely drop their heads, which you can use as grenades [pretty damn sweet if you ask me] The Dark Chaos weapon allows you summon a swarm of bats to completely fuck monsters up, The leech sword rewards you hp for every hit [not safe in this wad, however with these monsters but I'll get to that part in a bit] There is a cannon that acts as a flame thrower on primary fire, and fires a flaming projectile on another.
The monsters

OH boy. The weapons power almost means nothing to some of these monsters. Zombie-men can possible 2-3 shot you, there's two variations of imps, one with shields, and one without. They both deal ridiculous amounts of damage as well. Everything above [mancubi, hellknights, revenants, archviles, etc.] can easily one-shot you.
Overall

I like it, but the difficulty on this wad is pretty steep. The monsters are insane [especially on the later levels of doom 2] and the blood magic recoil on the alt-fire is seriously annoying when trying to heal in an open field. The other weapons seem to be cool, but you could probably run through with just the shotgun, pistol, and blood magic. The mind control is definitely cool, but it leaves you vulnerable to everything if not used properly. [It doesn't work on bosses, keep in mind]

It's fun, except when you're being one-shotted by revenants, whos missles have been sped up. The palette is also changed, so everything is black, gray, and red. It looks pretty cool and fits with the weapons, but it gets depressing to look at after a long while [you can remove it if you dislike it].

If you are into hardcore wads that takes the best of the best survival players to succeed on even stock maps, by all means pick this up. Otherwise, you might wanna stick with the traditional hardcore wads being played at the moment.
Spoiler: Gameplay (Open)
phpBB [media]

phpBB [media]
Rating:
Fun Factor - 7 / 10 - Decently fun challenge, a lot better with friends however.
Balance - 5 / 10 - Very iffy in my opnion, the weapons and monsters do go hand in hang with balance, but some map packs [most, actually] makes this a lot harder than it needs to be.
Creativity - 7 / 10 - Palette swap wow, much impressed
Replay Value - 6 / 10 - Better get some decent map packs that don't throw 400 monsters in a room, otherwise you won't enjoy it.

7 / 10 Vampire Doom

Note: In multiplayer, mind-control does not work. It bugs out the camera and won't effect monsters, so be wary of that
Last edited by Slyfox on Sun Aug 10, 2014 6:04 am, edited 1 time in total.

Ijon Tichy
Frequent Poster Miles card holder

RE: Satanic - Reivewed by Slyfox

Post by Ijon Tichy » Sun Dec 22, 2013 2:40 am

Bump because it took a day to get approved.

Combinebobnt
Retired Staff / Community Team Member

Post by Combinebobnt » Sun Dec 22, 2013 5:34 am

You spelled review wrong dude

Catastrophe
Retired Staff / Community Team Member

Post by Catastrophe » Sun Dec 22, 2013 5:34 am

This review is illegible because he spelled review wrong.

Valherran
Forum Regular

RE: Satanic - Reviewed by Slyfox

Post by Valherran » Sun Dec 22, 2013 6:41 am

I liked this MOD, but I explained in zdoom forums that it needed some work done on it. It may get a patch in the future.

Cruduxy
Zandrone

Post by Cruduxy » Sun Dec 22, 2013 2:47 pm

This wad is pretty cool but its even harder to beat than nightmare :_
[][][][][][][][][][][][][][][]
Nothing to see here
[][][][][][][][][][][][][][][]

Tux
Forum Regular

Post by Tux » Mon Dec 23, 2013 12:14 am

This wad is super hard indeed. An easy wad without a monster spam is a giant challenge to beat!
For me it's 9.5/10 and can be the revelation of 2009 ;)
dear diary, tux today was a faggot again[/size]