Super Demon R3-1: Reviewed by Balrog

Official ZanStuff sub-forum. Project reviews go here.

Moderator: Slyfox

Balrog
Forum Regular

Super Demon R3-1: Reviewed by Balrog

Post by Balrog » Tue Oct 01, 2013 11:07 pm

THIS MOD IS A WORK IN PROGRESS - SHIT HERE MAY BECOME INVALID AT ANY TIME
What it's about Super Demon is a multiplayer "one guy against the world" mod by Catastrophe that's about more or less what it says on the tin: superpowered adversaries that frequently dwarf Cyberdemons in both size and power. The boss is randomly selected from the players present and must kill the other players with their selection of overpowered weapons before they're overwhelmed by the remaining marines.

How it's about it: A mod like this hangs its hat on its bosses, and Super Demon delivers. From the superior firepower of the Juggernaut to the ricocheting bullet-hell shenanigans of the Angel of Death, every boss I've played has been interesting and empowering. Each boss also has its own unique arena, providing a unified visual feel that intensifies the experience much more than you might expect while controlling how each boss plays through diverse map layouts.
Spoiler: Few escape the domain of the Avatar with their lives. I think the Revenants are supposed to shoot missiles at you when you try to get those health powerups; this never happened for me, though. (Open)
While each boss has a mountain of health, it goes away fast under sustained fire, forcing you to stay mobile and leading me to more stupid deaths than I care to admit. This glass-cannon-y nature of the bosses also keeps things interesting for the players, since you don't have to have 3 players circle-strafe around the boss for 10 minutes to kill a boss; on the other side of things, you're also unlikely to join a Super Demon server only to find an awkward stallfest. However, I do have to note here that the Caco Horde is ridiculously overpowered. Think flying, pack-hunting Cyberdemons with spread attacks.
Spoiler: The Deathvile celebrates a refereshing round of pwnage by doing the Running Man. (Open)
On the players' side of things, Doomguys have a variety of new and reskinned weapons to do battle with. In this respect, things are more uneven. While the Dual Plasma Gun, the Assault Rifle, the Ultra Shotgun, the Flamethrower and the 'E'FG are fun and reasonably well-sprited, the rest are mediocre at best. The Comet Launcher feels generic, the reskins of the vanilla weapons (with the exception of the Chaingun, which has been modified to act like the Quake 2 chaingun) seem to be changed for the sake of change, and the Grenade Luncher Launcher looks like a downscale of a photograph that was then sloppily edited in MSPaint. (Note that I haven't looked through R667 for this stuff, so forgive me if I missed something here.)
Spoiler: NOT A PENIS LOL (Open)
There are also rewards that you get from dealing the killing blow to a boss. This is a cool idea, but the execution leaves something to be desired; you have no idea what you get until you use it, and it seems to becomes useless when you're picked as boss. I can't comment much on the rewards themselves, other than to say that the God Pistol (a vanilla pistol that deals 5 damage per hit and can teamkill) leads to rage among all parties and should probably be removed.

Finally, and this is something of a nitpick, but the structure of the PK3 can only be described as a clusterfuck. All the resources from ye olde skulltag.pk3 are copypasted, monsters and other actors that are never used are defined regardless, and the whole thing is just a headache to look through because of a lack of organization.

Overall, Super Demon feels like a beta. The pieces are all there, and flashes of brilliance are plentiful, but there are rough edges throughout the player experience. A graphics tweak here, a balance adjustment there, and Catastrophe will have something really special here.

Numbers are cool: 6.5/10

Code: Select all

[15:53:14] balrog: one day, the original mm8bdm devteam from mfggu and i will meet in valhalla and we will be friends

<ijon>well fuk
<ijon>guess I gotta suck dicks now

(18:13:17)<Mayrine>i dont have to learnt anything about ACS

Ivan
Addicted to Zandronum

RE: Super Demon R3-1: Reviewed by Balrog

Post by Ivan » Wed Oct 02, 2013 5:01 pm

Balrog wrote: Finally, and this is something of a nitpick, but the structure of the PK3 can only be described as a clusterfuck. All the resources from ye olde skulltag.pk3 are copypasted, monsters and other actors that are never used are defined regardless, and the whole thing is just a headache to look through because of a lack of organization.
Numbers are cool: 6.5/10
That's to get rid of the need to use the crappy skulltag stuff, and yes even those unused actors have to be there.
=== RAGNAROK DM ON ... uh... dead forever? ===
=== ALWAYS BET ON ... uh... dead forever? ===
=== Who wanta sum wang? ===
=== Death and Decay - A new Monster/Weapon replacer ===

Ijon Tichy
Frequent Poster Miles card holder

RE: Super Demon R3-1: Reviewed by Balrog

Post by Ijon Tichy » Wed Oct 02, 2013 6:30 pm

Surely you can just pick out the Skulltag actors you use? It's not that hard...