Zandronum 3.0.1

News and events are posted here. Threads also show up in the Latest News section.
Torr Samaho
Lead Developer

Zandronum 3.0.1

Post by Torr Samaho » Sun Oct 20, 2019 11:53 am

We have just released Zandronum 3.0.1. This is a server side security update only, which is still network compatible with 3.0. So, if you are not hosting, you don't need to update. If you are hosting, you should update as soon as possible. Thanks to Sean for reporting and also providing fixes for these issues!

Here is the full change log:

Code: Select all

-	- Fix a server hang that could be caused by malformed userinfo data. [Sean]
-	- The spectate, join, suicide, change team, and inventory drop client commands will now trigger a client command flood. [Sean]
Windows Base
Windows Installer
Linux 64-bit x86

Sean
IRC Operator

Re: Zandronum 3.0.1

Post by Sean » Sun Oct 20, 2019 12:37 pm

yay I helped !!
<capodecima> i dont say any more word without my loyer jenova

jwaffe
Forum Regular

Post by jwaffe » Sun Oct 20, 2019 3:04 pm

Thanks for patching this,

I can't seem to find the commit I need to check out, can you make a tag or link me to the right version?

Sean
IRC Operator

Post by Sean » Sun Oct 20, 2019 4:45 pm

The tag is ZA_3.0.1 in the zandronum-stable repository.
<capodecima> i dont say any more word without my loyer jenova

Torr Samaho
Lead Developer

Post by Torr Samaho » Sun Oct 20, 2019 7:41 pm

I just merged 3.0.1 into the 3.1 head, so tag should be visible now.

StrikerMan780
Forum Regular
Clan: Shadow Mavericks
Clan Tag: [SM]

Post by StrikerMan780 » Sun Oct 20, 2019 10:57 pm

Thanks! Glad to see this fixed, had to deal with folks trying to crash my servers as well.

BlushBerry

Clan: Nuclear Empire
Clan Tag: [NE]

Post by BlushBerry » Tue Oct 22, 2019 4:41 pm

Excellent work!!
Updated on Nuclear Empire!

Udet
New User

Post by Udet » Wed Feb 19, 2020 6:08 am

I'm playing zandronum on Android multiplayer online on servers everyday. Cross platforms with people on PC.
Please keep it coming.

Make a way to allow Android to download all the files needed to join a specific server automatically. Or some system faster than using website's wad repos for downloads . And then placing everything manually in the Mods folder.
Please.

joletai
Registered just to make one post

Post by joletai » Mon May 18, 2020 6:38 pm

Updating a CentOS 8 server from 3.0.rxx to 3.0.1, the new "zandronum" file gives an error:
/usr/games/zandronum/zandronum: error while loading shared libraries: libjpeg.so.8: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
Any suggestion? Thanks!
Solved when compiling all from the begining. Thanks.

METAL_DANNY_420
New User

Post by METAL_DANNY_420 » Fri Aug 21, 2020 7:04 pm

Hey guys,
Since I host co-op events every weekend I updated from v3.0 to v3.0.1, but now I've got 1 little problem.
ZCC (Zandronum Community Client) reverts my Zandronum back to v3.0 after applying it on my v3.0.1 install. Since I can't find a ZCC compatible for v3.0.1 I'm kind of hoping someone here can point me in the right direction. I mostly want it back for the info on each intermission screen like next map info and time remaining until start. Another addon that does the same job would be fine too ;)
My YT channel will be very grateful for a fix :) https://www.youtube.com/c/METALDANNY420

TDRR
Forum Regular

Post by TDRR » Sun Aug 23, 2020 9:40 pm

METAL_DANNY_420 wrote:
Fri Aug 21, 2020 7:04 pm
Hey guys,
Since I host co-op events every weekend I updated from v3.0 to v3.0.1, but now I've got 1 little problem.
ZCC (Zandronum Community Client) reverts my Zandronum back to v3.0 after applying it on my v3.0.1 install. Since I can't find a ZCC compatible for v3.0.1 I'm kind of hoping someone here can point me in the right direction. I mostly want it back for the info on each intermission screen like next map info and time remaining until start. Another addon that does the same job would be fine too ;)
My YT channel will be very grateful for a fix :) https://www.youtube.com/c/METALDANNY420
Zandronum 3.0.1 is a serverside only update. This means that Zandronum 3.0 works just fine connecting to 3.0.1 servers, and the crash is still fixed so you got nothing to worry about as long as you host with a Zandronum 3.0.1 binary, and join with a ZCC binary if you want.
"I will find joy in Yahweh. I will delight in my Elohim. He has dressed me in the clothes of salvation. He has wrapped me in the robe of righteousness like a bridegroom with a priest’s turban, like a bride with her jewels."
-Isaiah 61:10 (Names of God Bible)

DwarfCleric
New User

Post by DwarfCleric » Sat Dec 25, 2021 9:27 pm

This was incredibly confusing to me after updating Zandronum from 3.0 to 3.1.1 this week (updated rolled a few weeks ago, and some servers are using this version, while others are still using older versions)

Note: Linux (argh)
During the process of TRYING to update Zandronum, I stumble on the fact of how unnecessarily confusing the whole thing is packaged and the cumbersome process of updating it. On Debian at least, telling APT to install the Zandronum and Zandronum-Server packages DOES NOT automatically tell Apt to download extra required dependencies.

Adding to confusion, it seems like the repository doesn't communicate with Doomseeker at all, separate repositories completely isolated from one another. This can lead to situations where you can have an installed Doomseeker being able to run but not Zandronum, and vice-versa. Or situations like Doomseeker will not be able to join the Zandronum game. The entire process of finding how to update Zandronum version on Linux ended up taking me about 2 hours, instead of 10 minutes max like it could have been. How is someone supposed to know it's easier extracting the packages into /usr/games directly when there are no instructions for it?

I ended up finding that it's much easier keeping separate versions of Zandronum inside the /usr/games directory, each version in their own directory, by simply extracting the TAR.BZ2 archive.
It's also confusing how there are TAR.BZ2 archives from 3.0 and 3.1.1 versions, but there's not for 3.0.1 (10MB in size versus only 5MB because it doesn't ship with the REQUIRED libraries)
I've only realized this when I started having terminal errors when trying to run 3.0.1 and realizing the libraries were not in the archive, like the other versions.

And then here's the final realization: for connecting to games and joining servers, you can simply use 3.0, you don't need 3.0.1 at all
For applications like these that demand different versions of libraries to run, I think a more "portable" way of running the app should be the standard, like it happens on Windows. You can ship the required libraries within the TAR.BZ2 archive, but Linux will keep looking on the /usr/lib/x86_64 directory for the libs anyway. If they're not there or have symlinks there, the app won't run. Isn't there a way for a Linux executable to look inside its own directory first for a certain library?

Even Windows 3.11 applications were not this confusing to get running.
Linux is slowly becoming more of a joke. 3 hours burned that will never be given back
And even more time for writing this post that no one will ever read (LOL)

I don't get why on Linux side of things it's always this pain and hassle to perform single tasks.
And why Linux keep doing this thing where new versions of "libjpeg" for example will break compatibility with older versions. Most of the time, the new package will break compatibility only to introduce 1 or 2 new functionalities, if even that.

Torr Samaho
Lead Developer

Post by Torr Samaho » Wed Dec 29, 2021 12:28 pm

DwarfCleric wrote:
Sat Dec 25, 2021 9:27 pm
And then here's the final realization: for connecting to games and joining servers, you can simply use 3.0, you don't need 3.0.1 at all
The first post in this release announcement thread clearly states this:
Torr Samaho wrote:
Sun Oct 20, 2019 11:53 am
We have just released Zandronum 3.0.1. This is a server side security update only, which is still network compatible with 3.0.
DwarfCleric wrote:
Sat Dec 25, 2021 9:27 pm
Linux is slowly becoming more of a joke. 3 hours burned that will never be given back
And even more time for writing this post that no one will ever read (LOL)
I read it :).

Installing software under Linux that is not directly available via the distribution's package manager is indeed cumbersome. There are reasons for this, but I don't think that here is a good place to discuss this. You may want to bring this up in the forum of your distribution. Of course, if you have suggestions on how we can improve the packaging of our Zandronum Linux binaries, feel free to post them here.

Did you consider installing Zandronum via flatpak instead? Flatpak is designed to solve the problems you mentioned and Zandronum is available via Flathub.