Doomseeker 1.2

News and events are posted here. Threads also show up in the Latest News section.
Blzut3
Developer

Doomseeker 1.2

Post by Blzut3 » Sun Oct 28, 2018 12:48 am

I'm pleased to announce that Doomseeker 1.2 is available. The release is very light on features. I think custom slot themes and the replacement of the custom servers feature with pinned servers just about covers it, but the release contains a massive number of fixes. Mixed in with the usual quality of life improvements, I would like to thank WubTheCaptain for meticulously combing through our standards conformance, security practices (mostly in regards to release distribution), and perhaps most importantly identifying a slew of legal issues that we've had in previous releases. We really should have gotten this release out sooner, but ultimately got held up due to issues with the Mac release.

On that note the automatic updates have been disabled on Mac. This is an unfortunate side effect of Apple placing more restrictions on third party app distribution and the way in which we desire to distribute Doomseeker allowing users to remove engine protocol plugins just doesn't fit into their model. There are solutions, but we feel that it was better to get this release out without waiting for me to have time to sit down and rework our application to better conform to Apple's requirements. So while you lose automatic updates and you can't add/remove plugins the app is now finally signed so there should be no more Gatekeeper shenanigans for the time being (although I hear there's more restrictions coming in a future macOS release).

With that out of the way I'd like to also welcome Pol Marcet Sardà (Pol M) to the team. His joining has really kicked the project out of it's dormant state and we now have a Spanish translation in this release! Hopefully we'll continue to see more contributions from him.

Going back to legal things for a moment, of particular note for those maintaining packages for Linux distros, this marks the first release of Doomseeker under LGPL v2.1+ instead of GPL v2+. Zalewa and I have generally released our code under more permissive licenses and after seeing a hypothetical case (admittedly one which resulted from inconsistent documentation on our part) where being GPL meant that we couldn't upgrade our Qt version decided to just go ahead and license Doomseeker more permissively.

I know I've probably made this release sound really boring, and to an extent it really is. But it's the good kind of boring. I encourage you all to look over the changelog.

Lollipop
Zandrone

Re: Doomseeker 1.2

Post by Lollipop » Sun Oct 28, 2018 3:35 pm

This is great, thank you for spending all this time on this.

nax
Lead Administrator

Post by nax » Sun Oct 28, 2018 9:21 pm

Thanks Blzut3 for your continued contributions!

BlushBerry

Clan: Nuclear Empire
Clan Tag: [NE]

Post by BlushBerry » Sun Oct 28, 2018 10:54 pm

Well done guys.