Master Server Rules Rehosted and Updated

News and events are posted here. Threads also show up in the Latest News section.
grrfield

Re: Master Server Rules Rehosted and Updated

Post by grrfield » Sun Dec 16, 2018 11:26 am

But I will not tolerate grandstanding any longer to this effect, Leonard.
Are you serious about that? He was stating an opinion. Even that is not possible here. What is the point in defending myself anyway?

I truly did everything necessary and possible to keep my servers viable and fun. I still won't take any blame. I did the best I could and i got banned. There must be worse around here than me. At least admit that.

nax
Lead Administrator

Post by nax » Sun Dec 16, 2018 4:54 pm

There was more context to this conversation than just your issue regarding Leonard, but that's simply for another time. Also I have not removed any of your posts even though they were posted in a completely wrong area of the forum as a gesture of goodwill and hoping to nurture a discussion that would lead to you understanding what you would need to do to address your policy violation. I haven't removed your posts despite you publically calling out my master server admin instead of coming to me personally with an issue with Zandronum, so I'm not sure how you can say stating an opinion is not possible. Leonard's comment wasn't conducive to the discussion so I asked him not to continue that line. It's a discussion that's been had since the creation of the Clean House policy and simply put that policy is not going to be removed - this discussion is not about the execution of that policy so it was off topic. He's free to pursue the topic elsewhere though and I have given him no official warning or taken any administrative action.

At the end of the day, despite all this we've allowed you a voice here because even though you've gone about this just about every wrong way you could have, I don't believe you're being malicious here. I think you're frustrated that you got hit by the policy, but in the end the policy will not be changing. We have many people on this community that, much like Filystyn, have been banned for Doxxing, Stalking, IRL Threats, DDoS'ing, Crashing Servers, and other malicious behavior. We are first and foremost the most visible way to play multiplayer Doom on the internet and as such we need to make sure that our community is as free of such people as possible. Servers are an extension of this community and as banlist enforced servers are visible then they must be reasonably free of those banned individuals.

Hence we need server owners to keep their servers well managed and free of these people, or to report instances where people like this are ban evading so that we can update the banlist. Even if you don't understand all the context needed for why certain people are banned, they were only banned after either an unforgiveable action taken against other community members (such as making real life threats and doxxing people), or they've committed so many different rule breaks that we have no hope that these individuals will change (as in Filystyn's case, he comes back just about every year to harass people, impersonate people, spam our IRC or servers, try to crash servers, etc). The fact is that you did not infact do your best, and thats why we're even having this conversation. We don't even require your best. We just want our rules followed as I'm sure you'd want your rules followed on your own server.

grrfield

Post by grrfield » Sun Dec 16, 2018 6:55 pm

deleted, not relevant

grrfield

Post by grrfield » Sun Dec 16, 2018 7:25 pm

nax wrote:
Sun Dec 16, 2018 4:54 pm
There was more context to this conversation than just your issue regarding Leonard, but that's simply for another time. Also I have not removed any of your posts even though they were posted in a completely wrong area of the forum as a gesture of goodwill and hoping to nurture a discussion that would lead to you understanding what you would need to do to address your policy violation. I haven't removed your posts despite you publically calling out my master server admin instead of coming to me personally with an issue with Zandronum, so I'm not sure how you can say stating an opinion is not possible. Leonard's comment wasn't conducive to the discussion so I asked him not to continue that line. It's a discussion that's been had since the creation of the Clean House policy and simply put that policy is not going to be removed - this discussion is not about the execution of that policy so it was off topic. He's free to pursue the topic elsewhere though and I have given him no official warning or taken any administrative action.

At the end of the day, despite all this we've allowed you a voice here because even though you've gone about this just about every wrong way you could have, I don't believe you're being malicious here. I think you're frustrated that you got hit by the policy, but in the end the policy will not be changing. We have many people on this community that, much like Filystyn, have been banned for Doxxing, Stalking, IRL Threats, DDoS'ing, Crashing Servers, and other malicious behavior. We are first and foremost the most visible way to play multiplayer Doom on the internet and as such we need to make sure that our community is as free of such people as possible. Servers are an extension of this community and as banlist enforced servers are visible then they must be reasonably free of those banned individuals.

Hence we need server owners to keep their servers well managed and free of these people, or to report instances where people like this are ban evading so that we can update the banlist. Even if you don't understand all the context needed for why certain people are banned, they were only banned after either an unforgiveable action taken against other community members (such as making real life threats and doxxing people), or they've committed so many different rule breaks that we have no hope that these individuals will change (as in Filystyn's case, he comes back just about every year to harass people, impersonate people, spam our IRC or servers, try to crash servers, etc). The fact is that you did not infact do your best, and thats why we're even having this conversation. We don't even require your best. We just want our rules followed as I'm sure you'd want your rules followed on your own server.
Why do we have a misunderstanding about the same thing then? I keep my servers well managed. I applied the policy in not provoking him, cause you are not able to ban him yourselves. I'm not accusing you of anything. Getting a grasp on VPN and banning them, seems a mere impossible thing to do. I hope you understand that it is not easy to find a proper way. In understand and appreciate that you do your best. But you have to understand that i use every effort necessary to keep my servers "clean" too. Provoking him would have been malicious for my servers, because i host them outside of Zandronum itself. What understanding can we find here, before this gets out of hand? You want full logs, i will send them to you, but what are you gonna do with them? Forbid some forsaken ip that belongs to no one? But anyway you can have them, and all the chitchat that comes with them. I added the following script:

Code: Select all

for i in 0 1 2 3
do
                tmux send -t 0.$i "sv_logfilenametimestamp 0" ENTER
                tmux send -t 0.$i "sv_logfile_append 1" ENTER
                tmux send -t 0.$i "LogFile /mnt/zandrologs/" $i.log ENTER
done
say what and when you want them and have very much fun with it, it will help you zilch

Tezz
New User

Post by Tezz » Sun Dec 16, 2018 8:27 pm

Grrfield has hosted servers for years and has kept the player base active, if some sneaky idiot has got him banned you guys need to find out how, and stop it happening, or the doom community will just shrink. it aint good. if this post is off topic, please feel free to remove it, but im just going to put my word in, all the battle brothers and sisters i play with with ( who have been playing for years ) can and will put a good word for him if need be.

nax
Lead Administrator

Post by nax » Sun Dec 16, 2018 11:32 pm

It has nothing to do with a server that is active or that it needs a good word or anything of the sort - this wasn't a personal decision, i'm sure Grrfield takes care to nurture his community. But if you want to host servers on the Master Server you are required to follow our policy. There are no exceptions to this so that's why it was an uneasy decision. That said, all we require going forward is for this to be remedied and I'll explain on PM what will put us back on track.

Tezz
New User

Post by Tezz » Mon Dec 17, 2018 1:03 am

nax wrote:
Sun Dec 16, 2018 11:32 pm
It has nothing to do with a server that is active or that it needs a good word or anything of the sort - this wasn't a personal decision, i'm sure Grrfield takes care to nurture his community. But if you want to host servers on the Master Server you are required to follow our policy. There are no exceptions to this so that's why it was an uneasy decision. That said, all we require going forward is for this to be remedied and I'll explain on PM what will put us back on track.
do so.

nax
Lead Administrator

Post by nax » Mon Dec 17, 2018 2:02 am

Considering this thread is turning into spectator sport with little merit the thread is now closed. Discussion or debate on our rules can be made in the Master Server forums if folks are so inclined, or if you have any personal issues with my staff talk to me directly. Discord will always be the fastest method of contacting me.