Zandronum 2.1

News and events are posted here. Threads also show up in the Latest News section.
ibm5155
Addicted to Zandronum

RE: Zandronum 2.1

Post by ibm5155 » Mon Jun 29, 2015 1:48 am

oops, indeed (idk what event that made me think strife was free)...
Being offtopic, I still don't see any sense about selling a 20 years old software/game, but, it's business, each $0,1 Zenimax gets is a win... (They may be getting more money selling Doom 1 and 2 in 2015 than selling rage couf)
Last edited by ibm5155 on Mon Jun 29, 2015 2:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Projects
Cursed Maze: DONE, V2.0
Zombie Horde - ZM09 map update: [3/15/13]
Need help with English? Then you've come to the right place!

<this post is proof of "Decline">

Catastrophe
Retired Staff / Community Team Member

Post by Catastrophe » Mon Jun 29, 2015 6:01 am

ibm5155 wrote: oops, indeed (idk what event made me think it was free)...
Still, this is offtopic, but, I still don't see some sence about selling a 20 years old software/game, but, it's business, each $0,1 they get is a win... (couf id may be getting more money selling Doom 1 and 2 in 2015 than selling rage couf)
What?

jac0b
New User

Post by jac0b » Mon Jun 29, 2015 11:34 am

AlexMax wrote: Unfortunately, I've had to revert my FUNCRUSHER servers to 2.0, as 2.1 exhibits some pretty horrific health desyncs and added lattency.
Alex, what version do you recommend server admins run?

Blzut3
Developer

Post by Blzut3 » Mon Jun 29, 2015 11:18 pm

thehighesttree wrote: I don't know how bad other peoples' versions are acting, but after many install attempts the 2.1 Mac build of Zandronum won't even finish booting up under my computer with OS X 10.6.8. I've only started playing online Doom within the last 2 months and version 2.0 worked like a charm, aside from missing audio channels which wasn't a major issue. I'm basically choosing between being blocked from most servers (2.0) or a dead duck (2.1).
Or grab the old SDL.framework from 2.0. I stopped including it since I think the swap trick doesn't work for signed applications (which Zandronum now is).

thehighesttree
New User

Post by thehighesttree » Tue Jun 30, 2015 2:03 pm

Right, I see there's a new directory now, "_CodeSignature" that must handle that. I followed your instructions as a relative noob and everything works, luckily I still had the .dmg of 2.0! If a 2.1x version comes out, it might help new users for the readme to mention this trick, or even better just change it back.

Thanks for the help! It's good to be back DOOMin'.

Blzut3
Developer

Post by Blzut3 » Wed Jul 01, 2015 8:22 am

thehighesttree wrote: relative noob
Are you actually stuck on Snow Leopard?

Mr. Chris

Post by Mr. Chris » Wed Jul 01, 2015 9:44 pm

Two questions:

1) Can FAST be used for an actor where you put the ticrate?
2) Is $musicalias supported in SNDINFO yet?

arkore
Forum Regular

Post by arkore » Thu Jul 02, 2015 4:36 am

Thank you, devs.
Creator of Zone-F, Rocket Arena, Jail Break, Hellway Invasion, Hellstop, Bosses from Hell, Chillax II, and ArkDoom.

arkore
Forum Regular

Post by arkore » Thu Jul 02, 2015 7:03 pm

The fact is, no one wants to test stuff. That's just how it is, especially in a doom community.

As a modder, I know this to be very true, and every single post that Catastrophe has made in this thread is completely correct and filled with wisdom.

I could never get testers when I asked specifically for testers.

The only way I got people to test my mod, is by me re-releasing (silently) my mod over and over as "stable". It works, because Doomseeker automatically downloads any new wads -- no effort required on players. Players play, and say stuff in chat, and boom, now you have your testers and feedback. I would patch and re-release the next day.

---

Auto-updater is the way to go, and you'll find you'll have all the testers you could ever want.

I'm sorry, but that's the truth -- that's how the community is -- that's how people are.
Creator of Zone-F, Rocket Arena, Jail Break, Hellway Invasion, Hellstop, Bosses from Hell, Chillax II, and ArkDoom.

Darkness701
Registered just to make one post

Post by Darkness701 » Sun Jul 05, 2015 7:56 pm

arkore wrote: The fact is, no one wants to test stuff. That's just how it is, especially in a doom community.

As a modder, I know this to be very true, and every single post that Catastrophe has made in this thread is completely correct and filled with wisdom.

The only way I got people to test my mod, is by me re-releasing (silently) my mod over and over as "stable". It works, because Doomseeker automatically downloads any new wads -- no effort required on players. Players play, and say stuff in chat, and boom, now you have your testers and feedback. I would patch and re-release the next day.

---

Auto-updater is the way to go, and you'll find you'll have all the testers you could ever want.

I'm sorry, but that's the truth -- that's how the community is -- that's how people are.
If you ask me to test something, I will gladly test it. Not the same with most people though.

Untitled
Forum Regular

Post by Untitled » Mon Jul 06, 2015 12:51 am

Darkness701 wrote:
arkore wrote: The fact is, no one wants to test stuff. That's just how it is, especially in a doom community.

---

If you ask me to test something, I will gladly test it. Not the same with most people though.
Yeah, honestly, it's probably my biggest flaw - sheer laziness.

Honestly, if there was a feature to auto-test so I could just join in on servers (having doomseeker or Zandronum handle all of the versioning stuff so I don't have to do anything), I would totally just be testing all of my free time.

EDIT: Added the quote so people know who I'm actually responding to.

EDIT #2: Also, I'll note that I can't really host stuff; I do all of my server hosting via #BestEver, which is on whatever the latest 'stable' version is, so yeah.
Last edited by Untitled on Mon Jul 06, 2015 12:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
"I'm in despair! The fact someone would give me the title 'Forum Regular' has left me in despair!"
Spoiler: Me in a nutshell (Open)
<Untitled> this is a terrible idea
<Untitled> lets do it anyway

<Untitled> Depends
<Untitled> What kind of wad error is "Address not Mapped to Object (Signal 11)"?

<Untitled> So today I found out that stupidity is nested fractally
<Untitled> There is no lower bound
Projects:
SamsaraHold http://zandronum.com/forum/showthread.php?tid=3053

Empyre
Zandrone

Post by Empyre » Mon Jul 06, 2015 5:02 am

Rephrasing and/or adding to what Untitled said, if you make it easy to test from within the browser (Doomseeker and Doom Explorer), you will have more testers.
"For the world is hollow, and I have touched the sky."

Bloax
Forum Regular

Post by Bloax » Mon Jul 06, 2015 6:05 am

Remember the good old ST 97E beta days when IDE would just automagically install the beta version for you and just launch it with no hoops to jump?
Good times.
[quote="Kennon Conrad"]Dear LawCounsels,
To prove your compressor works, I suggest you try it on your posts and then post only the result.

We all know an ideal lossy compressor would output 0 bytes for your posts, so see if you can beat that.

Have a nice day.[/quote]

Blzut3
Developer

Post by Blzut3 » Mon Jul 06, 2015 7:28 am

Both browsers still do that. It doesn't help since people only test when there's an exciting new feature. Case in point we already have people "testing" Zandronum 3.0 and that's not even ready for testing. Not that most of them will report any issue they find with it, but they certainly want to play with it.

Bug fixes? Boring!

Zalewa
Developer

Post by Zalewa » Mon Jul 06, 2015 7:52 am

As Blzut3 said, both browsers will install testing client when user tries to join a testing server. I'm not sure where do these complaints that there's no such feature come from.
Doomseeker - a real answer to cross-platform server browser.
Doomseeker dev builds - unofficial Doomseeker builds for Windows.
Gamer's Proxy - a program to emulate ping and packet losses.

arkore
Forum Regular

Post by arkore » Mon Jul 06, 2015 3:02 pm

No idea what Blzut3 is talking about.

Both Blzut3, and Zalewa are wrong -- from what I've seen for testing process.

Like Empyre said, make it easy to test and you will get more testers.

DevilHunter
Zandronum Tester

Post by DevilHunter » Mon Jul 06, 2015 3:05 pm

Well, the fact that no builds are being posted on zan/downloads as where the url points to for testing binarys.

I was kinda thinking, since Watakid and I can build binarys, we could both probley upload to that url, thus make it easier on everyone else to grab betas... Just a thought though, and windows only btw.

Torr Samaho
Lead Developer

Post by Torr Samaho » Mon Jul 06, 2015 5:13 pm

arkore wrote: No idea what Blzut3 is talking about.

Both Blzut3, and Zalewa are wrong -- from what I've seen for testing process.
No, they are right. The automatic testing system has been supported ever since we introduced it years ago in Skulltag. If anything, it was streamlined a little over the years. It supports all official beta builds and it never supported unofficial beta builds. So testing has not gotten any more difficult than before, people just stopped using the automatic testing system. And now we apparently reached a point where people actually forget that that testing system exists, even though I explicitly tried to advertise it not too long ago, see here for instance.

Lollipop
Zandrone

Post by Lollipop » Mon Jul 06, 2015 6:20 pm

I think I tried the testing thing in doomseeker at some point without it working, not sure if I recall correctly though.
Another thing that springs to mind is some announcement I think watermelon made at some point about hosting servers with zandronum testing releases on best ever, which would be really great, as we then would be able to test anything in the BE wad library very easily.

Now, hosting nearly anything as a test server with BE could be great, and would be even greater if the test build thing was defaulted to 'on' in doomseeker, so none would think it wasn't there. The user can just disable it if one do not want it enabled, right?

Just some thoughts, I hope it is of use to you.
Spoiler: Modding Qualifications (Open)
ACS: If it's of ridiculous scope and of suicide-inducing complexity then it's the thing for me.
DECORATE: I can make more or less any godawful hack I need. Doesn't mean it works, though.
Maps: I only map for testing ACS.
GFX: Not enough time or experience.

If you need help, advice or similar, feel free to send me a PM. ;)
Spoiler: My Current Projects (Open)
> ZMemory
> Various undeveloped ideas. (This one is an immutable fact)
Combinebobnt wrote:i can see the forum league is taking off much better than the ctf ones
GalactusToday at 1:07 PM
are you getting uncomfortable jap
feeling something happen down there

Zalewa
Developer

Post by Zalewa » Mon Jul 06, 2015 6:26 pm

Lollipop wrote: Now, hosting nearly anything as a test server with BE could be great, and would be even greater if the test build thing was defaulted to 'on' in doomseeker, so none would think it wasn't there. The user can just disable it if one do not want it enabled, right?
I think I can agree on the point that disabling testing builds in Doomseeker serves no real purpose. Joining a testing server with non-testing client will result in authentication failure anyway, and Doomseeker always gives user an option to abort joining a testing server if there's no testing client installed on disk yet.
Lollipop wrote:I think I tried the testing thing in doomseeker at some point without it working, not sure if I recall correctly though.
I use the testing thing in Doomseeker constantly. I play Doom frequently on private server with a friend and we almost always try to stay up-to-date with testing binaries. Testing thing functions properly in Doomseeker, I can vouch for that.
Last edited by Zalewa on Mon Jul 06, 2015 6:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Doomseeker - a real answer to cross-platform server browser.
Doomseeker dev builds - unofficial Doomseeker builds for Windows.
Gamer's Proxy - a program to emulate ping and packet losses.