Zandronum 1.2.2

News and events are posted here. Threads also show up in the Latest News section.
Torr Samaho
Lead Developer

Zandronum 1.2.2

Post by Torr Samaho » Sun Jun 22, 2014 8:31 pm

We are happy to announce the release of Zandronum 1.2.2. It only fixes one minor, but problematic issue introduced with 1.2.1:
  • Fixed: The server reported to be using a testing build instead of a stable one.
All servers can safely update to 1.2.2 and are encouraged to do so at their earliest convenience. This should resolve the current issues with some servers hosting 1.2 while some are using 1.2.1.

Also shipped with 1.2.2 is Doomseeker 0.12.1b, which has many more changes than Zandronum itself:
  • Uses Qt 4.8.6 on Intel OS X which includes better support for retina displays. Note that is seems to disable command+c/command+v in text boxes though.
  • Sets of custom parameters can now be stored in config and then switched from combo box on demand (change affects games' pages in configuration box).
  • Player area in server details dock wouldn't get cleared when switching to empty server.
  • Header for "port" column in server list will now be blank. This column was very narrow and there's no reason to have text there that will never fit inside.
  • About dialog: don't screw with fonts anymore as this may not render on all systems properly.
  • Change Wadseeker shortcut to Ctrl+Alt+W since Ctrl+W/Command+W is typically used to close a window.
  • Wadseeker FTP client: emit finished() immediately when abort() is called as otherwise finished() might not be emitted at all.
  • Fixed: "Open URL in browser" for servers would crash the program.
  • Fixed: Don’t wrap server details text edits in a scroll view since it causes double scrolling and glitches on OS X.
  • Fixed: Testing release downloading was basically broken again by faulty version checking.
  • Fixed: Testing release downloader didn't account for errors.
Downloads:

Disguise
Retired Staff / Community Team Member

RE: Zandronum 1.2.2

Post by Disguise » Sun Jun 22, 2014 8:55 pm

Great job as always you guys! :)

Frits
Forum Regular

Post by Frits » Sun Jun 22, 2014 9:26 pm

Nice, this will unite the community once again.
Can I be rude and inquire about 1.3's ETA though? (Since i've been hearing left and right it's almost done)
Last edited by Frits on Sun Jun 22, 2014 9:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Code: Select all

Mode #grandvoid -o Konar6 by Frits
<Konar6> the fuck
<Konar6> who made this IRC
<Konar6> how is this possible

Tiger

Post by Tiger » Sun Jun 22, 2014 10:25 pm

Torr Samaho wrote: We are happy to announce the release of Zandronum 1.2.2. It only fixes one minor, but problematic issue introduced with 1.2.1:
  • Fixed: The server reported to be using a testing build instead of a stable one.
Please do not take this as an attack nor an insult, however, why was this worth a new release? Why is the value (or gain) of this release - extremely minimal? I will not complain about critical bug fixes or security patches, but - this release is simply - - marginal as it is.... Why was this release necessary for such an insignificant change, or better yet - why was the previous build not properly tested before release?

Hypnotoad

Post by Hypnotoad » Sun Jun 22, 2014 10:39 pm

Tiger wrote:
Torr Samaho wrote: We are happy to announce the release of Zandronum 1.2.2. It only fixes one minor, but problematic issue introduced with 1.2.1:
Please do not take this as an attack nor an insult, however, why was this worth a new release? Why is the value (or gain) of this release - extremely minimal? I will not complain about critical bug fixes or security patches, but - this release is simply - - marginal as it is.... Why was this release necessary for such an insignificant change, or better yet - why was the previous build not properly tested before release?
See here: http://zandronum.com/forum/showthread.p ... 4#pid66444

1.2.1 was broken causing players with ide being unable to connect, among other things.

President People
Forum Regular

Post by President People » Sun Jun 22, 2014 10:58 pm

Torr Samaho wrote:
  • Uses Qt 4.8.6 on Intel OS X which includes better support for retina displays. Note that is seems to disable command+c/command+v in text boxes though.
I'll stick with not having to type BE rcon passwords by hand, thanks.
***MARATHON SKINS PACK V1.0.7***

I have been Roland, Beowulf, Achilles, Gilgamesh.
I have been called a hundred names and will be called
a thousand more before the world goes dim and cold.

Ninjamander

Post by Ninjamander » Sun Jun 22, 2014 11:37 pm

hopefully..this will force everyone to use this version....and not splitting the community in 2 <.>;

Kara Kurt
Frequent Poster Miles card holder

Post by Kara Kurt » Sun Jun 22, 2014 11:56 pm

Ninjamander wrote: hopefully..this will force everyone to use this version....and not splitting the community in 2 <.>;
Exactly what happened when Zdaemon 1.09 came out; some guys left the port, some plays (or at least try) on lan servers, etc :wink:

Blzut3
Developer

Post by Blzut3 » Mon Jun 23, 2014 12:33 am

President People wrote: I'll stick with not having to type BE rcon passwords by hand, thanks.
Right click?

President People
Forum Regular

Post by President People » Mon Jun 23, 2014 2:09 am

Blzut3 wrote:
President People wrote: I'll stick with not having to type BE rcon passwords by hand, thanks.
Right click?
Uh. Well, that works. Thanks man.
***MARATHON SKINS PACK V1.0.7***

I have been Roland, Beowulf, Achilles, Gilgamesh.
I have been called a hundred names and will be called
a thousand more before the world goes dim and cold.

Torr Samaho
Lead Developer

Post by Torr Samaho » Mon Jun 23, 2014 6:17 am

Tiger wrote: Please do not take this as an attack nor an insult, however, why was this worth a new release?
Releasing different binaries with exactly the same version string is a very bad idea for numerous reasons.

EDIT:
Frits wrote: Can I be rude and inquire about 1.3's ETA though? (Since i've been hearing left and right it's almost done)
I hope to release a beta for 1.3 by the weekend. If no bugs are found, it will be released as stable.
Last edited by Torr Samaho on Mon Jun 23, 2014 6:18 am, edited 1 time in total.

Tiger

Post by Tiger » Mon Jun 23, 2014 3:23 pm

Torr Samaho wrote:
Tiger wrote: Please do not take this as an attack nor an insult, however, why was this worth a new release?
Releasing different binaries with exactly the same version string is a very bad idea for numerous reasons.
I apologize, but can you elaborate on this? I don't quite understand what you mean by this statement...

Ninjamander

Post by Ninjamander » Mon Jun 23, 2014 3:27 pm

Tiger wrote:
Torr Samaho wrote:
I apologize, but can you elaborate on this? I don't quite understand what you mean by this statement...
In a nutshell..imagine if they is 2 version of 1.2.2. One is fix, the other one is not. Now, some people who have the fix version and some with a buggy version try to connect to a server (assuming the server will accept both). The result could be...from everything normal to buggy (in the worst case, a crash from the server).

Tiger

Post by Tiger » Mon Jun 23, 2014 5:19 pm

Ninjamander wrote: In a nutshell..imagine if they is 2 version of 1.2.2. One is fix, the other one is not. Now, some people who have the fix version and some with a buggy version try to connect to a server (assuming the server will accept both). The result could be...from everything normal to buggy (in the worst case, a crash from the server).
The scenario you have described is too vague and not practical for the Client\Server architecture, but I would probably agree - if Zandronum used ZDoom's Peer-to-Peer multiplayer architecture.

Clients care not about other connected clients within the Client\Server architecture, and Clients and Servers can still process correctly as long as the handshake is valid -- the network protocol having zero changes.

Torr Samaho
Lead Developer

Post by Torr Samaho » Mon Jun 23, 2014 6:13 pm

Tiger wrote: I apologize, but can you elaborate on this? I don't quite understand what you mean by this statement...
First, you lose the uniqueness of the descriptor. For instance, imagine the following conversation: A player reports: My server is marked with a strange "T" on IDE and people can't join. Dev team: Upgrade to 1.2.1. Player: But I'm using 1.2.1. Dev team: Upgrade to the new 1.2.1. Player: WTF?

Also, Zandronum uses the meta data of the Hg changeset it is compiled with to compute the netgame version. This prevents from accidentally mismatching different client and server versions. In this case, old 1.2.1 clients wouldn't be able to join new 1.2.1 servers. Obviously, this is absolutely unacceptable.

In a nutshell, for at least all the reasons you shouldn't have multiple versions of "yourmod1.0.wad", you shouldn't have two different Zandronum versions that have exactly the same name.

Tiger

Post by Tiger » Mon Jun 23, 2014 6:55 pm

Torr Samaho wrote:
Tiger wrote: I apologize, but can you elaborate on this? I don't quite understand what you mean by this statement...
First, you lose the uniqueness of the descriptor. For instance, imagine the following conversation: A player reports: My server is marked with a strange "T" on IDE and people can't join. Dev team: Upgrade to 1.2.1. Player: But I'm using 1.2.1. Dev team: Upgrade to the new 1.2.1. Player: WTF?

Also, Zandronum uses the meta data of the Hg changeset it is compiled with to compute the netgame version. This prevents from accidentally mismatching different client and server versions. In this case, old 1.2.1 clients wouldn't be able to join new 1.2.1 servers. Obviously, this is absolutely unacceptable.

In a nutshell, for at least all the reasons you shouldn't have multiple versions of "yourmod1.0.wad", you shouldn't have two different Zandronum versions that have exactly the same name.
I understand now, thank you.

jwaffe
Forum Regular

Post by jwaffe » Sun Jun 29, 2014 6:20 pm

Torr Samaho wrote:

EDIT:
Frits wrote: Can I be rude and inquire about 1.3's ETA though? (Since i've been hearing left and right it's almost done)
I hope to release a beta for 1.3 by the weekend. If no bugs are found, it will be released as stable.
Just wondering, how is 1.3 coming? Do you guys know if it's going to be out sometime this week?
Last edited by jwaffe on Sun Jun 29, 2014 6:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Torr Samaho
Lead Developer

Post by Torr Samaho » Sun Jun 29, 2014 7:56 pm

jwaffe wrote: Just wondering, how is 1.3 coming? Do you guys know if it's going to be out sometime this week?
It took us a bit longer to get the planned account protocol change done and tested, but that's done now and we can release the official beta build soon.

jwaffe
Forum Regular

Post by jwaffe » Sun Jun 29, 2014 9:06 pm

Torr Samaho wrote:
jwaffe wrote: Just wondering, how is 1.3 coming? Do you guys know if it's going to be out sometime this week?
It took us a bit longer to get the planned account protocol change done and tested, but that's done now and we can release the official beta build soon.
thank you, I will wait to update my servers, then.

Torr Samaho
Lead Developer

Post by Torr Samaho » Mon Jun 30, 2014 6:09 am

jwaffe wrote: thank you, I will wait to update my servers, then.
The upcoming 1.3 should not stop you from updating your servers to 1.2.2.