Public community meeting

Public discussion of the forum software and other things run by Zandronum staff.
mifu
Retired Staff / Community Team Member
Clan: Demon RiderZ

Public community meeting

Post by mifu » Fri Oct 07, 2016 12:28 pm

Hello fellow Zandronumers

Somethings been bothering me lately, like almost a bad smell. I have seen all of this before. Despite me being very busy lately it seems quite the negative attitude has taken hold of these parts. So I figured we clear the air and regain clarity. The staff and I are having a meeting tomorrow on irc (by tomorrow I mean your night time most likely) to discuss some key issues that seem to be plaguing this community. I am inviting all of you who are apart of this community to attend to discuss as well.

Which channel? #zastaff
Time: Saturday 11/07/2016 7:30 AM GMT+8 (I suggest you check out timezone conversions)

If you are going to be attending please know that hostile behavior will not be tolerated at all (ZERO TOLERANCE) and will result in being removed from the channel and you wont be able to rejoin it till the meeting is over. If you got grudges with other community members or if you hate someones fucking guts, you leave that bullshit outside.

If you guys care about this place, then I would love for you to attend and give me your thoughts. I am also extending this invite out to the devs if they can make it and the other doom communities who somewhat get involved with our stuff if they want to have their say also.

Thank you.
MiFU

Combinebobnt

Re: Public community meeting

Post by Combinebobnt » Fri Oct 07, 2016 5:53 pm

Ok, so what are the key issues?

Lollipop
Zandrone

Post by Lollipop » Fri Oct 07, 2016 7:39 pm

Please put the logs and a TL;DR version somwhere accessible afterwards. I might not have the time to attend, especially with timezones and all, but I would like to know what is going on in the community, especially because I haven't noticed any of the negativity mentioned for a long while.
I would also like to know what the key issues are, too, as that is the whole reason to attend, right?

I hope I get the chance despite the odds, and may it be a great meeting.

Mobius
Banned
Location: The center of the A3's controversial and machiavellian conspiracy
Clan: Cube
Clan Tag: Aᵌ
Banned: Permanently

Post by Mobius » Fri Oct 07, 2016 11:26 pm

I'm interested to know what the actual issues are since the major mile stone of 2016 is a few months behind us.
dewsome: i can do this all day
dewsome: do you think you're somehow special? i spent years arguing with nostar, jenova, mobius
<+Thomas13> Mobius u r inferior, go outside and get beaten up
Alfonzo ~ "I wonder who will hear him trash talk when the dirt closes over him?"

Catastrophe

Post by Catastrophe » Sat Oct 08, 2016 1:02 am

There are issues? Forums have been pretty docile lately.

Mobius
Banned

Post by Mobius » Sat Oct 08, 2016 2:20 am

Log: Official Zandronum Town-Hall parliment assembly
Date: 7:30PM
Link: http://pastebin.com/UMENByhV
dewsome: do you think you're somehow special? i spent years arguing with nostar, jenova, mobius
Alfonzo ~ "I wonder who will hear him trash talk when the dirt closes over him?"

Ru5tK1ng
Frequent Poster Miles card holder

Post by Ru5tK1ng » Sat Oct 08, 2016 7:36 pm

tldr: Only 3 things were really discussed:

1. People have always shit on ST and by extension Zan gets the same treatment. It's been that way for the past 11+ years and it's nothing new.
2. Those who aren't happy with community events need to grow a pair and speak up or stay mad that nothing is changing because they aren't voicing their concern.
3. Zan's Youtube channel and related media need some attention and they can be used to showcase the mods and features of the port. Solely focusing on vanilla or super srs business competition is not the way to go.

Catastrophe

Post by Catastrophe » Sat Oct 08, 2016 9:23 pm

To be honest the front page talk is pretty good. Right now Zandro barely ever makes it to the front page because of Doom 4 coming out. You guys should figure out a way so that when you type in "Play Classic Doom online" or something like that, and make Zandro show up. Just my thoughts.

Mobius
Banned

Post by Mobius » Sat Oct 08, 2016 9:32 pm

Catastrophe wrote:To be honest the front page talk is pretty good. Right now Zandro barely ever makes it to the front page because of Doom 4 coming out. You guys should figure out a way so that when you type in "Play Classic Doom online" or something like that, and make Zandro show up. Just my thoughts.
Siphon Odamex's potential logo with a functioning port? I like that. Honestly the real remedy is that we went a year+ without a new Zandro release.

Catastrophe

Post by Catastrophe » Sat Oct 08, 2016 9:46 pm

Mobius wrote:
Catastrophe wrote:To be honest the front page talk is pretty good. Right now Zandro barely ever makes it to the front page because of Doom 4 coming out. You guys should figure out a way so that when you type in "Play Classic Doom online" or something like that, and make Zandro show up. Just my thoughts.
Siphon Odamex's potential logo with a functioning port? I like that. Honestly the real remedy is that we went a year+ without a new Zandro release.
Yeah, basically advertise Zandro better so it's less specific (Like "newschool multiplayer Doom online", really?) and make a release. No more beta builds, it's been way too long. At this point I feel people are ok with the consequence of potential release bugs but that happens in pretty much every game. Just release it already.

Torr Samaho
Lead Developer

Post by Torr Samaho » Sun Oct 09, 2016 1:46 pm

Catastrophe wrote:No more beta builds, it's been way too long. At this point I feel people are ok with the consequence of potential release bugs but that happens in pretty much every game. Just release it already.
People hate buggy release and they won't care why a release is buggy. If I look at the slew of bugs in 3.0 reported by unknownna a few days ago (just to name the "highlights": broken spawn telefragging in coop/survival and completely broken PWO), I highly doubt that 3.0 is sufficiently tested.

Ivan
Addicted to Zandronum

Post by Ivan » Sun Oct 09, 2016 2:26 pm

Torr Samaho wrote:
Catastrophe wrote:No more beta builds, it's been way too long. At this point I feel people are ok with the consequence of potential release bugs but that happens in pretty much every game. Just release it already.
People hate buggy release and they won't care why a release is buggy. If I look at the slew of bugs in 3.0 reported by unknownna a few days ago (just to name the "highlights": broken spawn telefragging in coop/survival and completely broken PWO), I highly doubt that 3.0 is sufficiently tested.
Honestly, there are still some bugs of major importance that would degrade the quality of gameplay so much that it'd be a detriment to release at the moment. As Torr said, at least some of the more major ones should be fixed before release. And for that, people need to test :)
=== RAGNAROK DM ON ... uh... dead forever? ===
=== ALWAYS BET ON ... uh... dead forever? ===
=== Who wanta sum wang? ===
=== Death and Decay - A new Monster/Weapon replacer ===

Marcaek
Forum Staff

Post by Marcaek » Sun Oct 09, 2016 4:24 pm

Stuff that is absolutely critical should be tested, yes. But we still should have more frequent releases when the stuff holding it back is basically non-critical mod features etc

fr blood
Frequent Poster Miles card holder

Post by fr blood » Sun Oct 09, 2016 5:02 pm

I agree, I prefer to wait 1 more year if it is to have a stable 3.0 especially to avoid the frustration of seing bugs which happen only online.

Marcaek
Forum Staff

Post by Marcaek » Sun Oct 09, 2016 5:20 pm

Should such really take another year?

Mobius
Banned

Post by Mobius » Sun Oct 09, 2016 7:22 pm

Is it possible to hold over the community with a 2.2.2 or 2.5.0 in the interim?

ibm5155
Addicted to Zandronum

Post by ibm5155 » Sun Oct 09, 2016 7:30 pm

Instead of releasing the 3.0 as oficial, why not just get almost all the servers and host it with the beta builds for a moment? at least with the most played servers
Projects
Cursed Maze: DONE, V2.0
Zombie Horde - ZM09 map update: [3/15/13]
Need help with English? Then you've come to the right place!

<this post is proof of "Decline">

Sean
IRC Operator

Post by Sean » Wed Oct 12, 2016 5:54 am

ibm5155 wrote:Instead of releasing the 3.0 as oficial, why not just get almost all the servers and host it with the beta builds for a moment? at least with the most played servers
TSPG did that for not even a day - we made 3.0 the default binary. Didn't prevent over 63% of the servers being 2.1.2, though...
<capodecima> i dont say any more word without my loyer jenova

Marcaek
Forum Staff

Post by Marcaek » Wed Oct 12, 2016 3:51 pm

It would help if Doomseeker and the like were configured to have a default testing folder with the option to copy your ini settings over, so joining 3.0 servers would literally be as easy as a double click.

Razgriz
Forum Staff

Post by Razgriz » Wed Oct 12, 2016 11:48 pm

Yep it's all about convenience for the players who don't wanna test. At least there are some more 3.0 servers up overall.