So what merits what punishment?: A treatise on ban length

Public discussion of the forum software and other things run by Zandronum staff.
Torr Samaho
Lead Developer

Re: So what merits what punishment?: A treatise on ban length

Post by Torr Samaho » Wed Aug 31, 2016 7:05 pm

Deathtoll wrote:What Zandronum needs instead of a login system is a unique and short identifier that can be referred to instead of name when banning, which appears next to every player's name. That'll make the mistaken identification via name cloning problem go right away. The Identifier should not change with name change, either, and should ideally be tied to direct hardware configurations to make it prohibitively expensive or difficult to ban evade. This can also get tied into the master ban server list.
Not feasible in an open source environment. Even if the official client would create a unique identifier based on the hardware, you could just alter the client to lie about the identifier.

mifu
Retired Staff / Community Team Member
Clan: Demon RiderZ

Post by mifu » Thu Sep 01, 2016 8:20 am

Deathtoll wrote:
Mobius wrote:
Did you contact the admin of the server?
Not possible since they want to hide behind registration on their site (TSPG) and seem less than willing to respond.
The next question for this then is, did you contact a TSPG admin rather then the person who spawned the server? Normally we would jump in and find out what was going on in instances like these. If this is related to vote kick abuse then that's a whole lot of fish not destined for this thread, and I am happy to PM you on whats going on at the moment and how we are attempting to fix that.

Deathtoll

Post by Deathtoll » Thu Sep 01, 2016 8:48 pm

Torr Samaho wrote:
Deathtoll wrote:What Zandronum needs instead of a login system is a unique and short identifier that can be referred to instead of name when banning, which appears next to every player's name. That'll make the mistaken identification via name cloning problem go right away. The Identifier should not change with name change, either, and should ideally be tied to direct hardware configurations to make it prohibitively expensive or difficult to ban evade. This can also get tied into the master ban server list.
Not feasible in an open source environment. Even if the official client would create a unique identifier based on the hardware, you could just alter the client to lie about the identifier.
I have zero problems doing it with my 2D Second Life clone, which has full code availability.

Deathtoll

Post by Deathtoll » Thu Sep 01, 2016 8:51 pm

mifu wrote:
Deathtoll wrote:
Mobius wrote:
Did you contact the admin of the server?
Not possible since they want to hide behind registration on their site (TSPG) and seem less than willing to respond.
The next question for this then is, did you contact a TSPG admin
I thought I explicitly stated that TSPG requires registration to contact anybody. I'm not going to register an account for something that should be a publicly-accessible method of contact to report abuse.

The Toxic Avenger
Forum Staff
Clan: ???
Clan Tag: [???]

Post by The Toxic Avenger » Thu Sep 01, 2016 11:20 pm

IRC does not require registration.

mifu
Retired Staff / Community Team Member
Clan: Demon RiderZ

Post by mifu » Fri Sep 02, 2016 1:09 am

The Toxic Avenger wrote:IRC does not require registration.
This right here, you could of jumped into #tspg-painkiller regardless if registered or not and got a hold of me or anyone with a @ symbol on their nickname. Now dont get me wrong, wed like stuff to be reported through to our SD which may require an account anyways but the option to go on irc to talk to us is still very welcome.

Torr Samaho
Lead Developer

Post by Torr Samaho » Fri Sep 02, 2016 5:48 pm

Deathtoll wrote:I have zero problems doing it with my 2D Second Life clone, which has full code availability.
I'm very curious how you achieve this since I don't see any way to prevent a custom client from lying with the source being fully open. To not derail this thread, let's discuss this elsewhere. Would you mind PMing me about this? Alternatively, you can open a suggestion at our tracker. If you really have a feasible way to create bans based on hardware IDs in an open source environment (and I still don't think that it's possible, but I'd be happy if you show me that I'm overlooking something), we can surely talk about adding it to Zandronum.