Forum software change

Public discussion of the forum software and other things run by Zandronum staff.
mifu
Retired Staff / Community Team Member
Clan: Demon RiderZ

Forum software change

Post by mifu » Fri Dec 11, 2015 4:51 am

Hey guys,

So as part of my maintenance that I completed, I was supposed to also update the forum software. Problem is I had issues with this.

Migrations seem to be painful also seeing as there is always this avatar problem we got as well.

I had a chat to Blzut3 to see if it is possible to maybe get the forum software changed out so not only that future maintenance is (hopefully) easier, we will also be able to add new features you guys want, easier.

We are thinking that phpbb is something we should revisit. I know with phpbb we had issues with hacks and what not but back then we did not have access to the server controlling the site. Now that we do, we can work around this.

I would like opinions from everyone here (users through to devs alike) to see what your thoughts are on this.
Last edited by mifu on Fri Dec 11, 2015 4:52 am, edited 1 time in total.

Catastrophe

RE: Forum software change

Post by Catastrophe » Fri Dec 11, 2015 5:26 am

As long as posts don't get wiped and there's no security flaws, I don't see why anyone would say no.

Razgriz
Forum Staff

Post by Razgriz » Fri Dec 11, 2015 5:27 am

I think you should do whatever is easier and logical in the long run, it looks as not a whole lot of people are concerned about too much as long as the forum is in tact and some of the themes are translatable/salvaged. If it makes things easier in the long run, ya go for it.
<PUN1SH3R> Cube has a magnetic effect
<PUN1SH3R> all other clans are in orbit with us, they just dont know it
<PUN1SH3R> occasionally cube will pull a player into it's system
[Quote=DwangoUnited Website] Eyes has tainted the DWANGO name in World of Warcraft. Eyes owes several thousand gold to friends that offered to loan it to him. He's since cut us off completely, and is not planning on gaming or paying back what he owes leaving DWANGO United with the debt. You have hurt us in more ways than you can know, pal. I hope you're happy that we've bent over backwards for you. Thanks for paying us back with a spit in the face and a cold shoulder. By the way pal, your bfg skills suck ass.[/quote]
09:08 <Shane_> It's better being a cuck
09:08 <Shane_> Trust me, you'll learn one day

StrikerMan780
Forum Regular
Clan: Shadow Mavericks
Clan Tag: [SM]

Post by StrikerMan780 » Fri Dec 11, 2015 5:45 am

If you need someone who's familiar with MyBB and the upgrade process, I'm available. I'm pretty good when it comes to updating and managing templates between versions to retain modifications. (Given none of the actual core MyBB files have been altered. There usually isn't any reason to alter them anyway.)

I run my own MyBB forum that has gone through at least 12 different MyBB updates (All versions of 1.6 through to the current version of 1.8). I'm also available to either find new versions of old mods, or possibly update them myself if need be. (I'm decently well-versed in PHP.)
Last edited by StrikerMan780 on Fri Dec 11, 2015 5:51 am, edited 1 time in total.

mifu

Post by mifu » Fri Dec 11, 2015 5:52 am

Catastrophe wrote: As long as posts don't get wiped and there's no security flaws, I don't see why anyone would say no.
Its possible to to migrate the board over from mybb to phpbb so we should not loose anything. I'll make some makeshift testing domain to test on :P

mifu

Post by mifu » Fri Dec 11, 2015 5:54 am

StrikerMan780 wrote: If you need someone who's familiar with MyBB and the upgrade process, I'm available. I'm pretty good when it comes to updating and managing templates between versions to retain modifications. (Given none of the actual core MyBB files have been altered. There usually isn't any reason to alter them anyway.)

I run my own MyBB forum that has gone through at least 12 different MyBB updates (All versions of 1.6 through to the current version of 1.8). I'm also available to either find new versions of old mods, or possibly update them myself if need be. (I'm decently well-versed in PHP.)
Thanks, but the problem here is, we are using postgresql. MyBB seems to hate the fact that we are.

I honestly think moving back to phpbb3 would be a good move in this case as it works with postgresql nicely :)

Dark-Assassin
Maintenence Crew

Post by Dark-Assassin » Fri Dec 11, 2015 9:43 am

Another option would be VBulletin, but that of course would be using your licence.
But XenFro is the best.

It sucks that MyBB is supposed to support PostgreSQL, but however it seems to require plenty of manual edits. More or less depending on the version.
It was a good alternative to a vulnreable phpbb, but now it's showing it's age.

MiFU, just remember that most forum plugins are designed to be used with the MySQL syntax and would require editing to work with PostgreSQL. If you need help with that, I could give it a try.
Last edited by Dark-Assassin on Fri Dec 11, 2015 9:45 am, edited 1 time in total.