Page 3 of 4

RE: We Want your Feedback!

Posted: Wed Nov 25, 2015 5:05 am
by Ru5tK1ng
You do realize that Facebook has a rating system? It's called a 'Like'. A rating system can be applied to more than games and ELO. Ever heard of ratings for movies and places?


Anyway, rather than waste time trying to argue definitions, how about presenting some reasons why a 'Like' system should be implemented. So far there is a strong case for no implementation.


Also, no one said anything about tracking values for accounts.

RE: We Want your Feedback!

Posted: Wed Nov 25, 2015 5:21 am
by NachtIntellect
If there was one thing I wouldn't mind seeing, it's a rating system for mods although I am very unsure of that because a lot of people could abuse the feature, it would require quite a bit of heavy moderation but as for the facebook like thing, I honestly see no point in it, that sort of thing is for when people want to communicate with others over social media, it's not like we are creating some status that our whole family can see on Zandronum.

RE: We Want your Feedback!

Posted: Wed Nov 25, 2015 5:59 am
by Catastrophe
Ru5tK1ng wrote: You do realize that Facebook has a rating system? It's called a 'Like'. A rating system can be applied to more than games and ELO. Ever heard of ratings for movies and places?


Anyway, rather than waste time trying to argue definitions, how about presenting some reasons why a 'Like' system should be implemented. So far there is a strong case for no implementation.


Also, no one said anything about tracking values for accounts.
Unlike facebook, most "liked" posts on forums aren't pushed all the way to the top of the thread though. Discussions like this can keep going on normally without it boiling down to who made the funniest joke. There really is no problem as long as likes get wiped if someone is blatantly posting crap to get attention.

As for why - there are a lot of things on this forum that we don't "need" but we have anyways. See: emoticons, signatures, avatars, etc. It's just a QoL change really.

Other than that, I'd love it if we got a plugin to automatically hyperlink acs and decorate functions. Ie typing in a_firecustommissile would automatically huperlink it to the Zdoom wiki article. It'd make explaining things on the help/tutorial sections a lot easier.

RE: We Want your Feedback!

Posted: Wed Nov 25, 2015 8:17 am
by Empyre
Catastrophe wrote: I'd love it if we got a plugin to automatically hyperlink acs and decorate functions. Ie typing in a_firecustommissile would automatically huperlink it to the Zdoom wiki article. It'd make explaining things on the help/tutorial sections a lot easier.
/me clicks Like.

RE: We Want your Feedback!

Posted: Wed Nov 25, 2015 9:37 am
by Dark-Assassin
Catastrophe wrote: Other than that, I'd love it if we got a plugin to automatically hyperlink acs and decorate functions. Ie typing in a_firecustommissile would automatically huperlink it to the Zdoom wiki article. It'd make explaining things on the help/tutorial sections a lot easier.
If there is demand, I will write one.
I'd also include something like [zdwiki] or [wiki] tag to easily link directly to pages.
Time and resource wise, the latter alone would be best.

RE: We Want your Feedback!

Posted: Wed Nov 25, 2015 10:31 am
by agaures
I vote yes to that idea.

RE: We Want your Feedback!

Posted: Thu Nov 26, 2015 4:08 am
by Razgriz
Catastrophe wrote: A rating is something that is actually kept track of. Ie ELO rating, Win/Loss rate, etc. It's just a simple like system.

Edit: No, I'm not saying that "likes" should be a recorded value on an account..... Haven't you guys ever visited other forums with like systems?
Rating: a classification or ranking of someone or something based on a comparative assessment of their quality, standard, or performance.


Like: to enjoy (something) : to get pleasure from (something)

: to regard (something) in a favorable way


To like a post = rate it good in a favorable way, a post that is not liked = rated neutral or not good (will probably be trashed if bad enough)

welcome to how a rating works!!!!!!!!!

RE: We Want your Feedback!

Posted: Thu Nov 26, 2015 4:11 am
by Combinebobnt
Like system sucks i got a warning because someone else abused it.

Its so good every time it was put in, it failed and died. Learn from history and don't repeat.

RE: We Want your Feedback!

Posted: Thu Nov 26, 2015 4:12 am
by Ru5tK1ng
Catastrophe wrote: Unlike facebook, most "liked" posts on forums aren't pushed all the way to the top of the thread though. Discussions like this can keep going on normally without it boiling down to who made the funniest joke. There really is no problem as long as likes get wiped if someone is blatantly posting crap to get attention.

As for why - there are a lot of things on this forum that we don't "need" but we have anyways. See: emoticons, signatures, avatars, etc. It's just a QoL change really.
Weak sauce. Emoticons, signatures and avatars allow for individuality to be expressed on the forums. Likes just allow bandwagons and problems. We've already had enough problems with a Like system before back in the day. No good came out of it and that's why it was removed. This isn't reddit. Likes won't work here.

Other than that, I'd love it if we got a plugin to automatically hyperlink acs and decorate functions. Ie typing in a_firecustommissile would automatically huperlink it to the Zdoom wiki article. It'd make explaining things on the help/tutorial sections a lot easier.
Now this is a better idea. Toss your other idea into the trash.

RE: We Want your Feedback!

Posted: Thu Nov 26, 2015 4:21 am
by Ænima
Being able to see "43 users like this post" at the bottom of a "how-to" post might help newbies find where the good advice is. However, I doubt that it'll actually be used like that very often. In a community this small it inevitably leads to spammy bandwagons, peen-stroking, and "my comment got more likes than yours so that means i'm right" AKA Facebook arguments.

If this were a massive community like Reddit or YouTube it might work.

RE: We Want your Feedback!

Posted: Thu Nov 26, 2015 4:51 am
by Catastrophe
Well I don't understand how you guys think adding likes will be the end of the world but ok. No fun allowed wins.

RE: We Want your Feedback!

Posted: Thu Nov 26, 2015 4:57 am
by Ru5tK1ng
So simply stating that an idea is bad because it didn't work out in the past means the world is going to end? Good to know.

Everyone's given reasons why it's a bad idea and you've yet to provide a single case for the opposite. 'It should be cuz I want it!' doesn't count as a reason.

RE: We Want your Feedback!

Posted: Thu Nov 26, 2015 5:09 am
by Marcaek
Kill postcount, it's worthless.

RE: We Want your Feedback!

Posted: Thu Nov 26, 2015 5:27 am
by Catastrophe
Ru5tK1ng wrote: So simply stating that an idea is bad because it didn't work out in the past means the world is going to end? Good to know.

Everyone's given reasons why it's a bad idea and you've yet to provide a single case for the opposite. 'It should be cuz I want it!' doesn't count as a reason.
I did give you a reason, but ok.

RE: We Want your Feedback!

Posted: Thu Nov 26, 2015 4:42 pm
by Armitage
I read this topic as 'We want your Facebook!' and it's degenerated into a debate regarding said social media :v

RE: We Want your Feedback!

Posted: Thu Nov 26, 2015 7:12 pm
by Lollipop
I'd say no to a like system, and kill post count while at it. Some people get the wrong idea of what is really important.

RE: We Want your Feedback!

Posted: Thu Nov 26, 2015 7:25 pm
by Konda
Ænima wrote: Being able to see "43 users like this post" at the bottom of a "how-to" post might help newbies find where the good advice is. However, I doubt that it'll actually be used like that very often. In a community this small it inevitably leads to spammy bandwagons, peen-stroking, and "my comment got more likes than yours so that means i'm right" AKA Facebook arguments.

If this were a massive community like Reddit or YouTube it might work.
Spoiler: Sorry, couldn't resist (Open)
Image
In all honesty though, I'd like to see this happen for a while but I know it's not going to end up anywhere useful because it would probably be misused (as aenima suggested), which we've already seen twice by now. Some folks say we shouldn't make a decision based only on how it turned out in the past, but it's not just because of the past. I just don't see the community in its current state handling it maturely.

Edit: OH, I just had an idea after thinking of what aenima said about where this can be useful. Why not just enable this feature for topics only, and have it enabled only in the tutorials, released projects, and resources forums where this feature can actually be useful? Also would be good to enable the said feature for replies only in the topics located in the editing help and general help forums. What do you guys think?

Edit 2: If the main problem with rating is misuse, then why not enable it in places where it can't be misused. Pretty sure there won't be any juicy drama in the help forums (the only place where replies could also be rated as per my suggestion) where the rating system can be used as a babdwagoning device, although I wouldn't be surprised if people tried to achieve that if the right (read: 'controversial') person were to ask for help.

RE: We Want your Feedback!

Posted: Fri Nov 27, 2015 4:09 am
by mifu
Armitage wrote: I read this topic as 'We want your Facebook!' and it's degenerated into a debate regarding said social media :v
Mark Zuckerberg for admin 2016?

Im probably not going to set that up as of yet then. I will point out, i did not realize we are running an old version of mybb, which is a bit troublesome. So during the maintenance scheduled I will see about getting it updated.

@Dark-Assassin: Despite all things, I will need your help on ensuring the themes will work on the new version of mybb, and of course the plugins.

RE: We Want your Feedback!

Posted: Fri Nov 27, 2015 4:28 am
by Dark-Assassin
For MyBB 2.0, all the plugins will have to be updated. But from what I remember, there weren't many in the first place and they can be easily fixed up.

The themes however will have to be trashed as they will be completely incompatible. Total overhaul to the base design and it would be too much trouble to fix the themes than start again.

RE: We Want your Feedback!

Posted: Fri Nov 27, 2015 4:36 am
by Ænima
Dark-Assassin wrote: The themes however will have to be trashed as they will be completely incompatible. Total overhaul to the base design and it would be too much trouble to fix the themes than start again.
Nuuuu not Smoky Tokyo :cry: