We Want your Feedback!

Public discussion of the forum software and other things run by Zandronum staff.
Empyre
Zandrone

RE: We Want your Feedback!

Post by Empyre » Wed Nov 25, 2015 8:17 am

Catastrophe wrote: I'd love it if we got a plugin to automatically hyperlink acs and decorate functions. Ie typing in a_firecustommissile would automatically huperlink it to the Zdoom wiki article. It'd make explaining things on the help/tutorial sections a lot easier.
/me clicks Like.
"For the world is hollow, and I have touched the sky."

Dark-Assassin
Maintenence Crew

Post by Dark-Assassin » Wed Nov 25, 2015 9:37 am

Catastrophe wrote: Other than that, I'd love it if we got a plugin to automatically hyperlink acs and decorate functions. Ie typing in a_firecustommissile would automatically huperlink it to the Zdoom wiki article. It'd make explaining things on the help/tutorial sections a lot easier.
If there is demand, I will write one.
I'd also include something like [zdwiki] or [wiki] tag to easily link directly to pages.
Time and resource wise, the latter alone would be best.
Last edited by Dark-Assassin on Wed Nov 25, 2015 11:42 am, edited 1 time in total.

agaures
Forum Regular

Post by agaures » Wed Nov 25, 2015 10:31 am

I vote yes to that idea.
<agaures> I'm guessing you haven't played many doom mods before huh? :p
<Zuplin> i have played master of puppets zombies doom center and a couple more
<agaures> so not many
<Zuplin> i thought that was everything

Razgriz
Forum Staff

Post by Razgriz » Thu Nov 26, 2015 4:08 am

Catastrophe wrote: A rating is something that is actually kept track of. Ie ELO rating, Win/Loss rate, etc. It's just a simple like system.

Edit: No, I'm not saying that "likes" should be a recorded value on an account..... Haven't you guys ever visited other forums with like systems?
Rating: a classification or ranking of someone or something based on a comparative assessment of their quality, standard, or performance.

Like: to enjoy (something) : to get pleasure from (something)

: to regard (something) in a favorable way

To like a post = rate it good in a favorable way, a post that is not liked = rated neutral or not good (will probably be trashed if bad enough)

welcome to how a rating works!!!!!!!!!
<PUN1SH3R> Cube has a magnetic effect
<PUN1SH3R> all other clans are in orbit with us, they just dont know it
<PUN1SH3R> occasionally cube will pull a player into it's system
[Quote=DwangoUnited Website] Eyes has tainted the DWANGO name in World of Warcraft. Eyes owes several thousand gold to friends that offered to loan it to him. He's since cut us off completely, and is not planning on gaming or paying back what he owes leaving DWANGO United with the debt. You have hurt us in more ways than you can know, pal. I hope you're happy that we've bent over backwards for you. Thanks for paying us back with a spit in the face and a cold shoulder. By the way pal, your bfg skills suck ass.[/quote]
09:08 <Shane_> It's better being a cuck
09:08 <Shane_> Trust me, you'll learn one day

Combinebobnt
Retired Staff / Community Team Member

Post by Combinebobnt » Thu Nov 26, 2015 4:11 am

Like system sucks i got a warning because someone else abused it.

Its so good every time it was put in, it failed and died. Learn from history and don't repeat.

Ru5tK1ng
Frequent Poster Miles card holder

Post by Ru5tK1ng » Thu Nov 26, 2015 4:12 am

Catastrophe wrote: Unlike facebook, most "liked" posts on forums aren't pushed all the way to the top of the thread though. Discussions like this can keep going on normally without it boiling down to who made the funniest joke. There really is no problem as long as likes get wiped if someone is blatantly posting crap to get attention.

As for why - there are a lot of things on this forum that we don't "need" but we have anyways. See: emoticons, signatures, avatars, etc. It's just a QoL change really.
Weak sauce. Emoticons, signatures and avatars allow for individuality to be expressed on the forums. Likes just allow bandwagons and problems. We've already had enough problems with a Like system before back in the day. No good came out of it and that's why it was removed. This isn't reddit. Likes won't work here.

Other than that, I'd love it if we got a plugin to automatically hyperlink acs and decorate functions. Ie typing in a_firecustommissile would automatically huperlink it to the Zdoom wiki article. It'd make explaining things on the help/tutorial sections a lot easier.
Now this is a better idea. Toss your other idea into the trash.
Projects

EonDM - With Hatred as my sidekick.
RageCTF - Made 1 map and did much more.
DBAB LMS - Pack made for Last Man Standing.
EonWeapons - Improve vanilla weapons and add stuff for kicks.
Progressive Duel - Leaving the old behind.
IDL201X CTF - Maintaining since 2013.
Strife AA - Helped tested + 1 map

Ænima
Addicted to Zandronum

Post by Ænima » Thu Nov 26, 2015 4:21 am

Being able to see "43 users like this post" at the bottom of a "how-to" post might help newbies find where the good advice is. However, I doubt that it'll actually be used like that very often. In a community this small it inevitably leads to spammy bandwagons, peen-stroking, and "my comment got more likes than yours so that means i'm right" AKA Facebook arguments.

If this were a massive community like Reddit or YouTube it might work.
Last edited by Ænima on Thu Nov 26, 2015 4:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
­ ­ ­ ­ ­ ­ ­ ­ ­ ­ ­ ­ ­ ­ ­ ­ ­
Doom64: Unabsolved: New weapons, monsters, and gameplay features for coop !

ZandroSkins
: a pack made by our community

Catastrophe

Post by Catastrophe » Thu Nov 26, 2015 4:51 am

Well I don't understand how you guys think adding likes will be the end of the world but ok. No fun allowed wins.

Ru5tK1ng
Frequent Poster Miles card holder

Post by Ru5tK1ng » Thu Nov 26, 2015 4:57 am

So simply stating that an idea is bad because it didn't work out in the past means the world is going to end? Good to know.

Everyone's given reasons why it's a bad idea and you've yet to provide a single case for the opposite. 'It should be cuz I want it!' doesn't count as a reason.
Projects

EonDM - With Hatred as my sidekick.
RageCTF - Made 1 map and did much more.
DBAB LMS - Pack made for Last Man Standing.
EonWeapons - Improve vanilla weapons and add stuff for kicks.
Progressive Duel - Leaving the old behind.
IDL201X CTF - Maintaining since 2013.
Strife AA - Helped tested + 1 map

Marcaek
Forum Staff

Post by Marcaek » Thu Nov 26, 2015 5:09 am

Kill postcount, it's worthless.

Catastrophe

Post by Catastrophe » Thu Nov 26, 2015 5:27 am

Ru5tK1ng wrote: So simply stating that an idea is bad because it didn't work out in the past means the world is going to end? Good to know.

Everyone's given reasons why it's a bad idea and you've yet to provide a single case for the opposite. 'It should be cuz I want it!' doesn't count as a reason.
I did give you a reason, but ok.

Armitage
Forum Regular
Clan: Exodus
Clan Tag: [E]

Post by Armitage » Thu Nov 26, 2015 4:42 pm

I read this topic as 'We want your Facebook!' and it's degenerated into a debate regarding said social media :v
"He who hesitates is lost".

Lollipop
Zandrone

Post by Lollipop » Thu Nov 26, 2015 7:12 pm

I'd say no to a like system, and kill post count while at it. Some people get the wrong idea of what is really important.
Spoiler: Modding Qualifications (Open)
ACS: If it's of ridiculous scope and of suicide-inducing complexity then it's the thing for me.
DECORATE: I can make more or less any godawful hack I need. Doesn't mean it works, though.
Maps: I only map for testing ACS.
GFX: Not enough time or experience.

If you need help, advice or similar, feel free to send me a PM. ;)
Spoiler: My Current Projects (Open)
> ZMemory
> Various undeveloped ideas. (This one is an immutable fact)
Combinebobnt wrote:i can see the forum league is taking off much better than the ctf ones
GalactusToday at 1:07 PM
are you getting uncomfortable jap
feeling something happen down there

Konda
Forum Regular

Post by Konda » Thu Nov 26, 2015 7:25 pm

Ænima wrote: Being able to see "43 users like this post" at the bottom of a "how-to" post might help newbies find where the good advice is. However, I doubt that it'll actually be used like that very often. In a community this small it inevitably leads to spammy bandwagons, peen-stroking, and "my comment got more likes than yours so that means i'm right" AKA Facebook arguments.

If this were a massive community like Reddit or YouTube it might work.
Spoiler: Sorry, couldn't resist (Open)
In all honesty though, I'd like to see this happen for a while but I know it's not going to end up anywhere useful because it would probably be misused (as aenima suggested), which we've already seen twice by now. Some folks say we shouldn't make a decision based only on how it turned out in the past, but it's not just because of the past. I just don't see the community in its current state handling it maturely.

Edit: OH, I just had an idea after thinking of what aenima said about where this can be useful. Why not just enable this feature for topics only, and have it enabled only in the tutorials, released projects, and resources forums where this feature can actually be useful? Also would be good to enable the said feature for replies only in the topics located in the editing help and general help forums. What do you guys think?

Edit 2: If the main problem with rating is misuse, then why not enable it in places where it can't be misused. Pretty sure there won't be any juicy drama in the help forums (the only place where replies could also be rated as per my suggestion) where the rating system can be used as a babdwagoning device, although I wouldn't be surprised if people tried to achieve that if the right (read: 'controversial') person were to ask for help.
Last edited by Konda on Thu Nov 26, 2015 7:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Code: Select all

<Synert> fuck
<Synert> plugged in my memory stick and got a bsod

mifu
Clan: Demon RiderZ

Post by mifu » Fri Nov 27, 2015 4:09 am

Armitage wrote: I read this topic as 'We want your Facebook!' and it's degenerated into a debate regarding said social media :v
Mark Zuckerberg for admin 2016?

Im probably not going to set that up as of yet then. I will point out, i did not realize we are running an old version of mybb, which is a bit troublesome. So during the maintenance scheduled I will see about getting it updated.

@Dark-Assassin: Despite all things, I will need your help on ensuring the themes will work on the new version of mybb, and of course the plugins.
Last edited by mifu on Fri Nov 27, 2015 4:46 am, edited 1 time in total.

Dark-Assassin
Maintenence Crew

Post by Dark-Assassin » Fri Nov 27, 2015 4:28 am

For MyBB 2.0, all the plugins will have to be updated. But from what I remember, there weren't many in the first place and they can be easily fixed up.

The themes however will have to be trashed as they will be completely incompatible. Total overhaul to the base design and it would be too much trouble to fix the themes than start again.

Ænima
Addicted to Zandronum

Post by Ænima » Fri Nov 27, 2015 4:36 am

Dark-Assassin wrote: The themes however will have to be trashed as they will be completely incompatible. Total overhaul to the base design and it would be too much trouble to fix the themes than start again.
Nuuuu not Smoky Tokyo :cry:
­ ­ ­ ­ ­ ­ ­ ­ ­ ­ ­ ­ ­ ­ ­ ­ ­
Doom64: Unabsolved: New weapons, monsters, and gameplay features for coop !

ZandroSkins
: a pack made by our community

The Toxic Avenger
Forum Staff
Clan: ???
Clan Tag: [???]

Post by The Toxic Avenger » Fri Nov 27, 2015 4:42 am

We can rebuild them
We have the technology

mifu
Clan: Demon RiderZ

Post by mifu » Fri Nov 27, 2015 4:47 am

Dark-Assassin wrote: For MyBB 2.0, all the plugins will have to be updated. But from what I remember, there weren't many in the first place and they can be easily fixed up.

The themes however will have to be trashed as they will be completely incompatible. Total overhaul to the base design and it would be too much trouble to fix the themes than start again.
uhhh.....

That will be a bit of a problem. Possible to make new themes based on our current ones?

arkore
Forum Regular

Post by arkore » Fri Nov 27, 2015 6:55 am

Sorry, I cannot provide any feedback at this time, but I will say in regard to the like system,

I'm on http://www.reflexfps.net/forums/index.php and they have a like system. Some people use, some don't. I don't see a problem with it though. I don't understand the concerns (expressed in this thread) about it. If anything, it's nice to know what posts are liked, and liked by who. In fact, I find it quite interesting to see who liked my posts, and it can possibly lead to relationships with those people (this has not yet happened with me, but it's possible) that you know have same things in common with you and your thoughts.

I don't see how it can be abused, or how--if abused--has a negative impact on the forums.
Creator of Zone-F, Rocket Arena, Jail Break, Hellway Invasion, Hellstop, Bosses from Hell, Chillax II, and ArkDoom.