Staff & rules reform thread

Public discussion of the forum software and other things run by Zandronum staff.
Catastrophe
Retired Staff / Community Team Member

RE: Staff & rules reform thread

Post by Catastrophe » Wed Oct 16, 2013 5:40 pm

First time: Warning
Second time: IP ban for a week from hosting
Third time: above but a month instead
Then just escalate it from there (though I doubt anybody would do it 3 times in a row.)

Cruduxy
Zandrone

Post by Cruduxy » Wed Oct 16, 2013 5:55 pm

Join the server and see if the host is in it.. If he is tell him that this is against the rules, unaccepted and server should be taken down.. If he complies then its ok if he refuses its quite obvious he'll repeat it. If he isn't in it try contacting him/her about it otherwise take it down.

Repeated offense punished with whatever pleases you :P.
[][][][][][][][][][][][][][][]
Nothing to see here
[][][][][][][][][][][][][][][]

Reach Term
Forum Regular

Post by Reach Term » Wed Oct 16, 2013 10:25 pm

Catastrophe wrote: First time: Warning
Second time: IP ban for a week from hosting
Third time: above but a month instead
Then just escalate it from there (though I doubt anybody would do it 3 times in a row.)
IMHO, first time should be 6,12 or even 24 hours ban. Because if the hoster doesn't have an IRC account, fourms account or even in the server itself, how would they get the message.

The Toxic Avenger
Forum Staff
Clan: ???
Clan Tag: [???]

Post by The Toxic Avenger » Thu Oct 17, 2013 2:25 am

Who says it's going to be done through IRC?

Lollipop
Zandrone

Post by Lollipop » Thu Oct 17, 2013 9:38 am

Reach Term is kind of right, there might come an instance where it is impossible to contact the person because they use no contact media aside from in-game, and waiting for someone to join just to give a warning would be a waste of time.
Spoiler: Modding Qualifications (Open)
ACS: If it's of ridiculous scope and of suicide-inducing complexity then it's the thing for me.
DECORATE: I can make more or less any godawful hack I need. Doesn't mean it works, though.
Maps: I only map for testing ACS.
GFX: Not enough time or experience.

If you need help, advice or similar, feel free to send me a PM. ;)
Spoiler: My Current Projects (Open)
> ZMemory
> Various undeveloped ideas. (This one is an immutable fact)
Combinebobnt wrote:i can see the forum league is taking off much better than the ctf ones
GalactusToday at 1:07 PM
are you getting uncomfortable jap
feeling something happen down there

Konar6

Post by Konar6 » Thu Oct 17, 2013 1:53 pm

I think the contact e-mail CVAR (sv_hostemail) exists for a reason. If someone throws up servers on the master and leaves no contact info, and neither joins IRC, they're asking for trouble.

Also you might add that the original wad author is obliged to prove his creation of the wad in question, so that I can't go around claiming that I made Samsara and all Samsara servers will be off master.
Ijon Tichy wrote:I like how your first responses to concerns being raised was to start insulting people, accusing random people on the Internet of being Shadowfox, and digging up irrelevant shit from the past. It really inspires confidence in me that you guys are level-headed and rational folks.

<BlueCool> you guys IQ is the same as my IP, Dynamic

Luke
Forum Regular

Post by Luke » Thu Oct 17, 2013 3:16 pm

Konar6 wrote:If someone throws up servers on the master and leaves no contact info, and neither joins IRC, they're asking for trouble.
... or they just play Zandronum to have fun without bothering too much to set all the server's info, but only setting up a cool server where other people can play...

HeavenWraith

Post by HeavenWraith » Thu Oct 17, 2013 3:31 pm

Luke wrote: ... or they just play Zandronum to have fun without bothering too much to set all the server's info, but only setting up a cool server where other people can play...
Either way, ignorance of TOS does not make one immune to consequences of violating it. If the server host doesn't leave any contact info, the only thing we can do is shut him down and wait for him to contact us instead. If you think there should be more channels to spread this information publicly (like prompts in zandronum server module or something), I'd like to hear the ideas. On the other hand if you think that the servers should be left alone just because we have no way of contacting the host, I don't think this is an option.
[18:55] <Decay> if you're upset, it is your obligation to make someone else upset

Luke
Forum Regular

Post by Luke » Fri Oct 18, 2013 4:06 am

I didn't say that everything should be tolerate, I just brought up a simple example of someone who loves the game and decides to host a server with a wad he found online without knowing all this weird and kinky and classy stuff about protection of some fancy custom material. We know that authors deserve all the credits for their jobs but someone who is approaching to the multiplayer scene of DooM for the first time may not realize this at first.

I just brought an example to stimulate a reflection, someway I did in fact:
HeavenWraith wrote: If you think there should be more channels to spread this information publicly (like prompts in zandronum server module or something)
I like this idea and I think that this is one of the best things that could be done. I thought about this myself but I supposed that there would have been something to add to the code of ide/doomseeker for some reason.
Anyway, if it's possible to give prompts when you start a zandronum server, I think that this is the very best thing that can be done (along with everything else that has been said).
Last edited by Luke on Fri Oct 18, 2013 4:06 am, edited 1 time in total.

Zap610

Post by Zap610 » Wed Oct 23, 2013 3:14 pm

Hi, it's me. I've been out of the loop for a while and didn't really have a chance to comment on something from the other thread regarding the reforms. It was never my intention to just change everything and go poof. I left for a couple of reasons. First of all I'm trying to get into nursing school and my grades were all over the place, I really didn't want to be worrying about Zandronum in the back of my mind. Moreover, classes are getting harder and harder. I remember trying to do homework in the past and constantly getting dragged into time consuming issues. Now, I'm not complaining about that as I was an admin and it's pretty much a requirement. In addition, I felt like my presence wasn't actually helpful for the port and I was taking up space. Believe me, I have thick skin so it's not like people were getting me thrown out. Deep down it's just what I felt.

As for the reforms, my memory is very vague but I will try to explain as much as I can so if anything I say seems inaccurate please call me out on it. Back then the staff organization was a mess. I won't say things weren't working, but it was highly disorganized. It had many inactive people, or people performing dual roles with more effort in one over the other. The issue with this, besides a security threat, was people were stepping on toes without even knowing it. The intent of this was not to fire people who had differing opinions, or throwing out active mods. I don't even understand why someone would think either since the point of that was to increase activity, not lower it.

I mostly skimmed over the thread, but from what I noticed, Hammer, you don't seem to be happy about the reason you were removed. If I remember right, it was because of an abuse of power. Not just once, many times. And let me tell you, that's reason enough. In fact, I believe giving staff members a second chance after an abuse of power is a mistake. Of course, I'm not part of the team so it has no real weight. None of us wanted to do it, I really liked you. You did great things and were active. But there's a difference between making a mistake and acting out. You can't "accidentally" ban someone you don't like in the same sense as "accidentally" warning someone too much based on their violation. Abuse is intentional, and when it happens the users will complain. Staff are picked so these kinds of things don't happen. If they do, then the wrong person is on the team.

infurnus
Clan: Unidoom
Clan Tag: UD

Post by infurnus » Fri Feb 14, 2014 8:13 am

:arrow: Forum update/changelog thread: http://zandronum.com/forum/showthread.php?tid=4206

:arrow: Forum news roundup: http://zandronum.com/forum/showthread.php?tid=4260
infurnus wrote: As you may know, Metal and Ruin have recently stepped down from forum admin positions, I was also informed by Qent that they will be stepping down from global moderator.

What I know so far: Ruin is staying a master server admin/moderator, and Qent is still working on community events like FNF. Metal has stepped down from all positions, but will still be around the community.

If you need to know who to contact for assistance, the Forum Team page should have updated info on Zandronum's staff listing: http://zandronum.com/forum/showteam.php

There are also moderators for each subforum that do not show on this list, they will show on the subforum's page.
Examples can be found in our Community Events area: Before anyone asks, we are not hiring (yet)!
Due to these recent events, I will be making an effort to look over and fix up various things on the forums that I had not gotten to fix up yet, as well as review the tracker for bug reports and patches for the mybb software.
Spoiler: Unimportant stuff (Open)
I also have some news that some might find sad: I have retired the Igor post icon in the new thread page, and replaced it with an original emote that has already been in use on the forums. If you are wondering if Igor is going to disappear, you might still see him in the Fun & Games sections from time to time! Or maybe digging around in the Trash.. :igor: