Unfair and excessive action?

Public discussion of the forum software and other things run by Zandronum staff.
Ru5tK1ng
Frequent Poster Miles card holder

Unfair and excessive action?

Post by Ru5tK1ng » Thu Jun 06, 2013 1:14 am

I was recently browsing some of the semi-latest topics on posts when I came across this topic:

http://zandronum.com/forum/showthread.php?tid=2762

I will be frank, what happens to capo and where here's banned from doesn't mean a single thing to me. However, what does raise a flag is when a quiet member of the community (and a relative newcomer) gets an instant ban hammer over an infraction that typically results in a warning. Yes, I am aware that posting for banned individuals is against the rules. Although it should be pointed out that this rule is a more recent addition that was only created due to a post of mine and as far as I'm aware, there was no official announcement of its inclusion into the Rules. Nub's post falls vastly short of something that can be deemed as a troll, drama bomb or anything that's ban worthy.

These types of instances are what leads to power trips and the banishment of community members. After all, it is only logical that questions be raised towards an administration that has a track record of blatantly doing things against the book (hate bans and outer community bans??).

Unless there are other factors that led to this banning, it is fair to say that this ban is excessive, unnecessary and if left unchallenged, a downright shame. Why is this member banned while others are allowed to make far worse posts (honestly a warn or two is less than a slap on the wrist in some instances)? It is these types of instances which adds to the ever growing, never ending hostility towards the administration.

Cyber'
Retired Staff / Community Team Member
Clan: The Professionals
Clan Tag: <PRO>

RE: Unfair and excessive action?

Post by Cyber' » Thu Jun 06, 2013 1:26 am

The ban was previously set for only 2 weeks, under the impression that he was capo. Someone either put the ban in wrong or something messed with the ban info.
Either way, his ban will be lifted.
Projects completed : PROCTF, Jump Maze, Tricky ST. RJX.Jump Maze X
Newest Project : Nothing at present.

Jumpmaze X post is here viewtopic.php?f=58&t=9981&p=115929#p115929
I always love these calm moments before the storm...

one_Two
Addicted to Zandronum

Post by one_Two » Thu Jun 06, 2013 1:27 am

Decay wrote: I notified a mod about 3-4 weeks ago that nub_hat wasn't capo, who seemed genuinely convinced they were the same person. I can see where the confusion comes from, but perhaps a little more research done before the ban would've been good.
They talk at same time on #idl, thatd just be plain stupid. The ban did seem ott imo.

Hammerfest-
Forum Regular
Clan: A3.33333333333333333
Clan Tag: A3.33333333

Post by Hammerfest- » Thu Jun 06, 2013 1:34 am

Cyber wrote: The ban was previously set for only 2 weeks, under the impression that he was capo. Someone either put the ban in wrong or something messed with the ban info.
Why wasn't this fixed immediately if that's the case?

Things like these should be kept in check.
Last edited by Hammerfest- on Thu Jun 06, 2013 1:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
Swift as a breeze, fierce as a gale.

Metal

Post by Metal » Thu Jun 06, 2013 1:40 am

Hammerfest- wrote:
Cyber wrote: The ban was previously set for only 2 weeks, under the impression that he was capo. Someone either put the ban in wrong or something messed with the ban info.

Because some of us have lives...I've been busy so I haven't been around that often and when I am around, this isn't exactly the first place I run to. We also have other moderators and administrators.

Also, rules state you can't post for banned people, we've banned people before for this very reason, and it also states in the rules some rules that are broken don't justify just a warn, sometimes a ban.
Why is this member banned while others are allowed to make far worse posts (honestly a warn or two is less than a slap on the wrist in some instances)?
Report button. Should use it.
<EazyDI>harrased me
<EazyDI>and called me a dinner
<EazyDI>n*****
<EazyDI>lmao not dinner

Hammerfest-
Forum Regular
Clan: A3.33333333333333333
Clan Tag: A3.33333333

Post by Hammerfest- » Thu Jun 06, 2013 1:47 am

Metal wrote:
Hammerfest- wrote:

Because some of us have lives...I've been busy so I haven't been around that often and when I am around, this isn't exactly the first place I run to. We also have other moderators and administrators.
Then your first statement is already flawed. It's understandable if some people are busy, but if you have ample moderators and administrators, then these things shouldn't be too hard to keep in check. It should be simple to see who is (with enough reason, of course) being unfairly banned just as it is simple to whack someone with the ban hammer.
Metal wrote:
Also, rules state you can't post for banned people, we've banned people before for this very reason, and it also states in the rules some rules that are broken don't justify just a warn, sometimes a ban.
Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't someone post on Capo's behalf for a CTF tournament or something equivalent to that some time ago? Shouldn't that be grounds for a ban as well?
Swift as a breeze, fierce as a gale.

Ru5tK1ng

Post by Ru5tK1ng » Thu Jun 06, 2013 1:48 am

If you don't have the time or the drive to do your seemingly unimportant tasks, then perhaps you should consider allocating your duties to a more capable individual. It really is a minute amount of work to verify that the guy is a player from Denmark and not capo.

Also I believe you completely missed my point regarding the slap on the wrists. Additionally I don't feel it's my duty to do a moderators job (cleaning up the forums). Perhaps the mod team needs a revamping if they can't do their assigned duties.

Metal

Post by Metal » Thu Jun 06, 2013 1:49 am

Hammerfest- wrote:
Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't someone post on Capo's behalf for a CTF tournament or something equivalent to that some time ago? Shouldn't that be grounds for a ban as well?
I never seen that, or was notified about it, so nothing happened.
Ru5tK1ng wrote:
If you don't have the time or the drive to do your seemingly unimportant tasks, then perhaps you should consider allocating your duties to a more capable individual. It really is a minute amount of work to verify that the guy is a player from Denmark and not capo.

Also I believe you completely missed my point regarding the slap on the wrists. Additionally I don't feel it's my duty to do a moderators job (cleaning up the forums). Perhaps the mod team needs a revamping if they can't do their assigned duties.
Just seen this so edit.

I'll rephrase, the internet isn't the first place I go when I get home from work. Also, it doesn't take "a minute amount" of work to verify if it's capo, because capo enjoys using extremely random proxies from different places on the planet. 5 minutes before I even did anything I figured out it wasn't capo but just put the capo as the ban reason. I set the ban for 2 weeks and it (The forums) set it to perm (Found out today).

Shit happens, we're human, we make mistakes. It's fixed now.
Last edited by Metal on Thu Jun 06, 2013 1:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
<EazyDI>harrased me
<EazyDI>and called me a dinner
<EazyDI>n*****
<EazyDI>lmao not dinner

Qent

Post by Qent » Thu Jun 06, 2013 1:57 am

Hammerfest- wrote:

No, Capo is banned permanently. The temporary (2-week) ban was for posting on Capo's behalf. It was not fixed because the ban had not expired, so no one noticed that the duration was wrong.

Cyber'
Clan: The Professionals
Clan Tag: <PRO>

Post by Cyber' » Thu Jun 06, 2013 2:00 am

Hammerfest- wrote:

Good question, I just noticed it today when this thread was brought up.
Most bans are set on a timer that auto-lifts them.

To be fair though it could be worse, Kilgore could be running the show...
Projects completed : PROCTF, Jump Maze, Tricky ST. RJX.Jump Maze X
Newest Project : Nothing at present.

Jumpmaze X post is here viewtopic.php?f=58&t=9981&p=115929#p115929
I always love these calm moments before the storm...

Samurai
Clan: Lost Faction
Clan Tag: [LF]

Post by Samurai » Thu Jun 06, 2013 3:17 am

to be fair nub hat is a relatively new player to this port. If you wasn't sure who it was, he could be easily mistakable to capodecima, since one minute he's got an indonesian proxy, the next he's got a danish one.

I would have thought it was capo too if i just went off that info.

Code: Select all

00:11  <Jarin_cz>	i am pretty sure i have more doom friends than you

Fluffles
Forum Regular

Post by Fluffles » Fri Jun 07, 2013 6:07 am

Decay wrote: I notified a mod about 3-4 weeks ago that nub_hat wasn't capo, who seemed genuinely convinced they were the same person. I can see where the confusion comes from, but perhaps a little more research done before the ban would've been good.
I did exactly that aswell. I'm glad nub_hats unbanned anyway hes a good chap

Watermelon
Zandrone

Post by Watermelon » Sat Jun 08, 2013 6:56 am

Nub_hat is satan incarnated. You we're all fooled, now he roams free.
As his fellow IDL mentor, player, advisor, and friend -- I assure you nub_hat is 100% evil.
I know some of you aren't taking my post seriously, and you'll regret it when he comes for your soul.
Last edited by Watermelon on Sat Jun 08, 2013 6:58 am, edited 1 time in total.

Lollipop
Zandrone

Post by Lollipop » Sat Jun 15, 2013 11:27 am

We will see about that soon enough watermelon, but if he really is danish, then it comes odd to me that I have never seen him on the servers?.... I know the usual times for danish players and I think the only time I ever saw him was like 23:00 danish time or something. I must agree that his location in Denmark is questionable, but ask him what cake is called in danish, if he says kage, then hes indeed danish.
Spoiler: Modding Qualifications (Open)
ACS: If it's of ridiculous scope and of suicide-inducing complexity then it's the thing for me.
DECORATE: I can make more or less any godawful hack I need. Doesn't mean it works, though.
Maps: I only map for testing ACS.
GFX: Not enough time or experience.

If you need help, advice or similar, feel free to send me a PM. ;)
Spoiler: My Current Projects (Open)
> ZMemory
> Various undeveloped ideas. (This one is an immutable fact)
Combinebobnt wrote:i can see the forum league is taking off much better than the ctf ones
GalactusToday at 1:07 PM
are you getting uncomfortable jap
feeling something happen down there

one_Two
Addicted to Zandronum

Post by one_Two » Sat Jun 15, 2013 12:34 pm

Lollipop wrote: We will see about that soon enough watermelon, but if he really is danish, then it comes odd to me that I have never seen him on the servers?.... I know the usual times for danish players and I think the only time I ever saw him was like 23:00 danish time or something. I must agree that his location in Denmark is questionable, but ask him what cake is called in danish, if he says kage, then hes indeed danish.
I think he favors the other ports more.

Lollipop
Zandrone

Post by Lollipop » Sat Jun 15, 2013 12:42 pm

He is confirmed danish, he sent me a message that is typically danish styled.
He informed me that he usually plays odamex.
He usually only plays private CTF, which is mostly only populated when I am sleeping :razz:
ACS: If it's of ridiculous scope and of suicide-inducing complexity then it's the thing for me.
DECORATE: I can make more or less any godawful hack I need. Doesn't mean it works, though.

> ZMemory
Combinebobnt wrote:i can see the forum league is taking off much better than the ctf ones

Catastrophe

Post by Catastrophe » Sat Jun 15, 2013 1:57 pm

Way to bump something that was already dealt with. Typical lollipop.

Lollipop
Zandrone

Post by Lollipop » Sat Jun 15, 2013 2:13 pm

just confirmed another piece of evidence, and if you do not care, then dont bump again with something useless.

> ZMemory

Qent

Post by Qent » Sat Jun 15, 2013 2:47 pm

Hooooookay, this has stopped being about nub_hat. Thank you Lollipop, but as pointed out by Catastrophe, this matter is resolved, and we know that nub_hat is not Capodecima.