Ban discussion [split from Master Policy Reforms]

Public discussion of the forum software and other things run by Zandronum staff.
User avatar
Tiger
Forum Regular
Posts: 379
Joined: Thu May 31, 2012 6:21 am

RE: Ban discussion [split from Master Policy Reforms]

#21

Post by Tiger » Tue Jan 15, 2013 11:11 pm

Utsuho Reiuji wrote:It's simply. We are evading bans - you are earning money.
MetalHead wrote:What does any of this have to do with money...I don't make any money off this.
It's a conspiracy, someone call Jesse Ventura! If he is able to make an episode where he claims that the world leaders in politics are lizards, he can figure out something here too! For example, MetalHead is friends with Ben Bernanke! WE HAVE A NEW EPISODE!
Tor-Bjorn wrote:The best way to deal with these people is through Hardware IP.
Correct me if I am wrong, but - the address stored within the NIC or adjacent devices can be masked or temporarily altered by the use of specialized software, correct?

EDIT ----------
Reach Term wrote:No one likes to be forced to use a singular name
How about just a regular account system to where the client only authenticates with just one account name when logging into Zandronum's services, but can utilize any name that the player wishes when playing within the virtual world? I am sure there is many ways to tackle this scenario.
Last edited by Tiger on Tue Jan 15, 2013 11:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Reach Term
Forum Regular
Posts: 323
Joined: Fri Jun 15, 2012 7:45 pm

RE: Ban discussion [split from Master Policy Reforms]

#22

Post by Reach Term » Wed Jan 16, 2013 6:48 am

Tiger wrote:
Utsuho Reiuji wrote:It's simply. We are evading bans - you are earning money.
MetalHead wrote:What does any of this have to do with money...I don't make any money off this.
It's a conspiracy, someone call Jesse Ventura! If he is able to make an episode where he claims that the world leaders in politics are lizards, he can figure out something here too! For example, MetalHead is friends with Ben Bernanke! WE HAVE A NEW EPISODE!

EDIT ----------
Reach Term wrote:No one likes to be forced to use a singular name
How about just a regular account system to where the client only authenticates with just one account name when logging into Zandronum's services, but can utilize any name that the player wishes when playing within the virtual world? I am sure there is many ways to tackle this scenario.
Who knew that 25 years ago, Jesse Ventura used to look like this:

[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]
Also, if you're talking about Steam, then yes. I would gladly take that than ZUR.
Last edited by Reach Term on Wed Jan 16, 2013 6:50 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Torr Samaho
Lead Developer
Posts: 1485
Joined: Fri May 25, 2012 6:03 pm
Location: Germany

RE: Ban discussion [split from Master Policy Reforms]

#23

Post by Torr Samaho » Wed Jan 16, 2013 9:05 pm

Reach Term wrote: * Not to mention the legal problems with id and the Zdanro 's admin team as they are profiting off their game; it doesn't matter who runs the game server, the master server or the port. If you are making people pay to play on a game that you don't own, you're going to get sued. Esp. when you're making large amounts of money off it.
Actually, you could resolve the legal problems and charge for certain things if you are careful enough. This doesn't matter though because nobody will pay.

User avatar
Reach Term
Forum Regular
Posts: 323
Joined: Fri Jun 15, 2012 7:45 pm

RE: Ban discussion [split from Master Policy Reforms]

#24

Post by Reach Term » Thu Jan 17, 2013 2:06 am

Torr Samaho wrote:
Reach Term wrote: * Not to mention the legal problems with id and the Zdanro 's admin team as they are profiting off their game; it doesn't matter who runs the game server, the master server or the port. If you are making people pay to play on a game that you don't own, you're going to get sued. Esp. when you're making large amounts of money off it.
Actually, you could resolve the legal problems and charge for certain things if you are careful enough. This doesn't matter though because nobody will pay.
True... However, if id is losing potential profits to the tens-thousands. They'll find every way possible to earn those profits.

User avatar
ibm5155
Addicted to Zandronum
Posts: 1640
Joined: Tue Jun 05, 2012 9:32 pm
Location: Somewhere, over the rainbow
Contact:

RE: Ban discussion [split from Master Policy Reforms]

#25

Post by ibm5155 » Mon Feb 11, 2013 11:06 pm

There´s no way to check if it´s a pirate copy or not, because on the old days id didn´t think about that, so if you do a new method it would only affect the new iwads, and 90% of the other guys who have the old ones would not have acess because the iwad would be concidered ilegal for not having somethings...
Sorry but today I would prefer to pay for a new game then a 20 years game. (or even use freedoom if that´s the problem)
Projects
Cursed Maze: DONE, V2.0
Zombie Horde - ZM09 map update: [3/15/13]
Need help with English? Then you've come to the right place!

<this post is proof of "Decline">

Llewellyn
Forum Regular
Posts: 578
Joined: Mon Jul 02, 2012 7:12 am

RE: Ban discussion [split from Master Policy Reforms]

#26

Post by Llewellyn » Tue Feb 12, 2013 2:36 am

Someone mentioned Steam...
technically you could release it as a mod on Steam that requires the base game of Doom to play.

one_Two
Addicted to Zandronum
Posts: 1753
Joined: Thu Jun 07, 2012 4:47 pm

RE: Ban discussion [split from Master Policy Reforms]

#27

Post by one_Two » Tue Feb 12, 2013 3:10 am

I know you could never sell zdoom mods (even with permision from zdoom) becauseof libraries or ahit it used. There are tons of quake 1 & 2 mods that are effectivley engines for sale. Bit off track here like :/

TerminusEst13
Contributor
Posts: 865
Joined: Tue Jun 05, 2012 11:06 pm

RE: Ban discussion [split from Master Policy Reforms]

#28

Post by TerminusEst13 » Tue Feb 12, 2013 3:20 am

I know you could never sell zdoom mods (even with permision from zdoom) becauseof libraries or ahit it used.
From what I gather, the big thing is the FMOD MIDI engine.
The Ranger - New class for HeXen.
ZDoom Wars - I drew some pictures.
Samsara - Some class-based mod I guess?
Metroid: Dreadnought - I am a dumb fanboy.
DemonSteele - ~come with me to anime world~

Post Reply