The recent youtube video

Public discussion of the forum software and other things run by Zandronum staff.
Medicris
Forum Regular

RE: The recent youtube video

Post by Medicris » Sat Jan 12, 2013 3:07 am

Qent wrote:
legion wrote: was there even a point to what they were trying to accomplish, other than pure maliciousness?
I can only hope that it was a misguided attempt to strike back at cheaters. Still, that would be no justification. Not to mention the possibility of people's downloading it "just to try" for offline, or administrators' trying to analyze it. For all we know, it was in fact targeted at the administrators.

If any of you see something like this in the future, especially if you find out that it's actually malware, please don't endorse it "for the lols." Please report it to the administrators and to Youtube and Mediafire.
This is basically my stance. It wasn't the smartest choice to say "haha ty for the hax, this is legit" no matter the ultimate motive against would-be cheaters. Could have just... not connected yourself to it. Guilt-by-association is an ugly thing in law.

Would've been funny if the program just made ingame scripts that simply changed your ign to "I tried to hack, pls ban my face", but this is costs property damage upon running. To quote ijon, this whole thing just reeks of "stupid joke gone public".

Cyber'
Retired Staff / Community Team Member
Clan: The Professionals
Clan Tag: <PRO>

Post by Cyber' » Sat Jan 12, 2013 3:28 am

After looking at the situation and the parties involved, this is how the bans will be handled:

All bans include all 3 areas of Zandronum

Kirboy will be given 15 months for the distribution of malicious software.
Bluewizard and Ivan will be given 3 months for minor contributions.
Dranzer will be given 6 months for contributions including baiting staff to download the virus.
Ral will be given 3 months on top of his original ban, totaling 18 months now, for minor contributions.

This is based on this specific case.
Projects completed : PROCTF, Jump Maze, Tricky ST. RJX.Jump Maze X
Newest Project : Nothing at present.

Jumpmaze X post is here viewtopic.php?f=58&t=9981&p=115929#p115929
I always love these calm moments before the storm...

Boko

Post by Boko » Sat Jan 12, 2013 4:09 am

damn, cant believe bluewiz would do that.

Watermelon
Zandrone

Post by Watermelon » Sat Jan 12, 2013 4:13 am

Boko wrote: damn, cant believe bluewiz would do that.
If by chance you're not sarcastic, I'm surprised anyone believed Bluewiz was actually a legitimately nice guy considering all the bad stuff he's notorious for; which is why I'm not shocked that he was part of this incident.
Last edited by Watermelon on Sat Jan 12, 2013 4:14 am, edited 1 time in total.

zdude

Post by zdude » Sat Jan 12, 2013 5:26 am

Well that's the last time I ever say to a friend that Zandronum isn't well known enough (compared to let's say WoW or LoL) to create malicious software for....

But on a serious note, what was done here was REALLY low. I don't know what else I can say

Ru5tK1ng
Frequent Poster Miles card holder

Post by Ru5tK1ng » Sat Jan 12, 2013 5:32 am

Any moron that actually downloaded the file from such an untrustworthy source deserves a virus.

Hammerfest-
Forum Regular
Clan: A3.33333333333333333
Clan Tag: A3.33333333

Post by Hammerfest- » Sat Jan 12, 2013 5:34 am

Damn guys, you all unleashed your inner stupid.

Excellent job roflmao.
Swift as a breeze, fierce as a gale.

Yellowtail
Forum Regular

Post by Yellowtail » Sat Jan 12, 2013 5:51 am

Cyber wrote:Ral will be given 3 months on top of his original ban, totaling 18 months now, for minor contributions.
Um.. one question, isn't he actually marked as perma banned? Correct me if I'm wrong, but nothing here shows that he's not permanently banned.

Tai

Post by Tai » Sat Jan 12, 2013 6:00 am

The sad part is that some of these guys actually contributed to Zandronum; Ivan to the GVH project, and Catatrosphe/Bluewiz to Stupid LMS (which is actually not bad). They should be ashamed of themselves to want to compromise a community they made projects for like that.

Only in Skullt...I mean Zandronum. : (

HeX9109
Clan: UniDoom
Clan Tag: [UD]

Post by HeX9109 » Sat Jan 12, 2013 6:36 am

Gotta love good old fashioned Zandrama.
Like a good neighbor, UD is there! http://www.unidoom.org

Ru5tK1ng
Frequent Poster Miles card holder

Post by Ru5tK1ng » Sat Jan 12, 2013 8:51 am

[quote=Metal]Before there is a rush of "You banned for youtube comments??" we banned them for promoting malware linked to zandronum, if you don't believe us feel free to download it at your own risk. Hope it was worth it for you all.[/quote]
I don't quite understand how simply posting a youtube comment counts as promoting malware. Are you insinuating that Ivan has millions of subscribers who potentially are at risk of downloading a virus? Or have the bans been carried out on the basis that malware is linked to a 'Zandronum' video? Quite frankly the latter isn't so cut and dry since the video pertains to 'hax'. I'm curious for the justification of banning players for actions carried out on an unrelated territory.

Qent

Post by Qent » Sat Jan 12, 2013 9:34 am

They posted the video here on the forums and encouraged the staff to download and "test" it. The Youtube comments would also encourage any random passers by to run it if they are inclined to try cheating. Although technically the malware was on Youtube/Mediafire, to me it's quite clear that there was malicious intent. The only question in my mind was whether it would be right to use that knowledge, or to ignore it on the grounds that it happened on another website. In this case, I believe that the security risk was too great to stand on principle.

Tux
Forum Regular

Post by Tux » Sat Jan 12, 2013 10:39 am

Wait... aimbot in .cmd file? Couldn't someone just open it with notepad and paste here (or in pm) what it did? I mean the exact commands used.

(Please? I'm on android, I can't do anything.)
dear diary, tux today was a faggot again[/size]

Sparr0w
Forum Regular
Clan: Exodus
Clan Tag: [E]

Post by Sparr0w » Sat Jan 12, 2013 10:48 am

Medicris wrote:
Qent wrote: They posted the video here on the forums and encouraged the staff to download and "test" it.
Well, since you brought that up:

Kirboy didn't even tell anyone in Teamspeak the nature of the linked file in the description, then presented it over Teamspeak as a simple practical joke and encouraging them all to post comments on it. Dranzer gave it to the staff right afterwards, knowing they would act immediately. When the (now banned) people found out what the linked file did, they'd already marked themselves guilty.

Only Dranzer asked the staff to test it and only Kirboy posted the video here, both of which without the knowledge or consent of anyone else beforehand. Neither Bluewiz nor Ivan had any knowledge of their actions.

Ivan mods for Samsara/his projects and Blue is still constructing StupidLMS. Both of them have more to lose than Kirb does.

Im sorry didnt they comment on the video and such?
<Leonard> I've been denied all the best ultrasex

[Saturday, May 28, 2016 7:29 PM] Ross Moore:
I mean I'd jerk off all day to If I could find my dick but I'm too fat

[spoiler]22:13 <ALMN> ranch dressing is in my blood
22:13 <ALMN> and also probably why i'm fat but that's beside the point
22:19 <ALMN> you guys hate on odamex all you want
22:19 <ALMN> it doesn't change the fact that
22:19 <@Razgriz--> its dead
22:19 <Decay> it sucks?
22:19 <@Razgriz--> u rite[/spoiler]

Zupoman
Forum Regular

Post by Zupoman » Sat Jan 12, 2013 10:53 am

Tux wrote: Wait... aimbot in .cmd file? Couldn't someone just open it with notepad and paste here (or in pm) what it did? I mean the exact commands used.

(Please? I'm on android, I can't do anything.)
Do you even read the discussion? That was just a bait. Their idea was supposed to fuck up aimbot users. Yet that was probably a bad idea... and blabla on of them something about encouraging admins to test it or something... blablabla.

It was a .cmd file because it was not an aimbot, but it was probably something like...

Code: Select all

@echo off
del C:/something/system32
Oh and that "/something/" is in case some moron would like to run it, even through I am unsure if it still even works.

The shortest deadly virus in the universe (idk if it even still works). How something like that could exist? I don't know.
This signature is empty and useless, I would write another useless idiotism here but people will call me a noob for that, so sorry, no more signatures for you. Go somewhere else.

Medicris
Forum Regular

Post by Medicris » Sat Jan 12, 2013 10:54 am

Sparr0w wrote:
Medicris wrote:
Qent wrote: They posted the video here on the forums and encouraged the staff to download and "test" it.
Well, since you brought that up:

Kirboy didn't even tell anyone in Teamspeak the nature of the linked file in the description, then presented it over Teamspeak as a simple practical joke and encouraging them all to post comments on it. Dranzer gave it to the staff right afterwards, knowing they would act immediately. When the (now banned) people found out what the linked file did, they'd already marked themselves guilty.

Only Dranzer asked the staff to test it and only Kirboy posted the video here, both of which without the knowledge or consent of anyone else beforehand. Neither Bluewiz nor Ivan had any knowledge of their actions.

Ivan mods for Samsara/his projects and Blue is still constructing StupidLMS. Both of them have more to lose than Kirb does.

Im sorry didnt they comment on the video and such?
Before knowing what the linked file did. And too late afterwards to delete them.

Why would two long-time community members with so much to lose do it with that knowledge?
Last edited by Medicris on Sat Jan 12, 2013 10:55 am, edited 1 time in total.

Sparr0w
Forum Regular
Clan: Exodus
Clan Tag: [E]

Post by Sparr0w » Sat Jan 12, 2013 11:14 am

But why would they comment on the video......
<Leonard> I've been denied all the best ultrasex

[Saturday, May 28, 2016 7:29 PM] Ross Moore:
I mean I'd jerk off all day to If I could find my dick but I'm too fat

[spoiler]22:13 <ALMN> ranch dressing is in my blood
22:13 <ALMN> and also probably why i'm fat but that's beside the point
22:19 <ALMN> you guys hate on odamex all you want
22:19 <ALMN> it doesn't change the fact that
22:19 <@Razgriz--> its dead
22:19 <Decay> it sucks?
22:19 <@Razgriz--> u rite[/spoiler]

Luke
Forum Regular

Post by Luke » Sat Jan 12, 2013 12:37 pm

Sparr0w wrote: But why would they comment on the video......
To trick cheaters, maybe.

Tenchu
Clan: Lost Faction
Clan Tag: LF

Post by Tenchu » Sat Jan 12, 2013 1:34 pm

Ouch, Catastrophe. Perhaps you should just stop going at any length to attempt to be a "part" of this community again. :-)

Synert
Forum Regular

Post by Synert » Sat Jan 12, 2013 1:47 pm

Qent wrote: They posted the video here on the forums
That was Kirboy himself.
Qent wrote: and encouraged the staff to download and "test" it.
And that was Dranzer. I don't believe Ivan and Blue deserve the flak they're getting here (as for Ral, he's already banned so eh)
Last edited by Synert on Sat Jan 12, 2013 4:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.