The Community's Doom Battle Royale

Maps, modifications, add-ons, projects, and other releases for Zandronum. Also includes announcers.
TDRR
Forum Regular

The Community's Doom Battle Royale

Post by TDRR » Sat Aug 17, 2019 3:26 am

Many of you know that there's already a couple attempts at Battle Royale in Doom. One is DUBG (Doomer's Unknown Battlegrounds, not to be confused with the other DUBG) and the other is Doom Royale With Cheese.
They both are nice and all, but DUBG isn't even released yet and DRWC is unfinished and hasn't recieved any updates or even any announcements in a while now, and both only have maps made by the people behind them.

But what if there was a community project where a team of mappers would collaborate on one large map, to make a Battle Royale map? That's what this community project is all about.

To explain it better:
-A group of mappers (one to eight individuals) agree on a theme and size of a map.
-Each mapper works in one half/quarter/eighth of a map, also possibly with 2 or more mappers working on the same area if so is desired.
-All map areas are joined together into a single map, and then i script the map area closing in like on most common Battle Royales.
-If it's not clear, no there isn't a map limit. There could be just 1 map, or 3 or 5, whatever amount is made.

Other rules:
-Custom textures are accepted, so long as everyone on the map team agrees to use them, and they aren't larger than 50MB.
-Map detailing is obviously allowed, but don't go excessively overboard with it. Bridgeburner-level map detailing is not allowed, for example.
Amounts of detail like Alfonzone, Vanguard and Freedoom are all perfectly fine and acceptable and well under the max accepted detail level.
-The recommended map format is UDMF, but Hexen format is also allowed. Due to problems in conversion and overall inflexibility, Doom format is not allowed.
-Custom weapons aren't allowed. It would be better to have gameplay mod compatibility, instead of just locking people to whatever weapons this would have.
A separate addon for weapons could be done though.
-Custom decorative actors are perfectly fine.

What are the available themes?
There's no predefined themes to choose from. Just stuff you could represent with regular Doom 2 textures or even custom textures, including military bases, cities, hell, and more. If you are willing to do your own custom textures (Or just do some digging on Realm667) then the only limit is your imagination and Zandronum's capacities.

Map team 1:
Currently empty.
One thing I have asked from the Lord, that I shall seek: That I may dwell in the house of the Lord all the days of my life, to behold the beauty of the Lord and to meditate in His temple. (Psalm 27:4, NASB)
My Discord tag is @tdrr, and it's my preferred contact method. I also check PMs here from time to time.