TDBots Mk2 - v1 (11/05/2022)

Maps, modifications, add-ons, projects, and other releases for Zandronum. Also includes announcers.
TDRR
Forum Regular

Re: TDBots: The fast-performing bots v25 (31/3/2020)

Post by TDRR » Tue Mar 31, 2020 10:13 pm

Updated! This update packs a couple additions that some people might like a lot.

Full changelog, since there are only 3 changes:
-New option: Learn map from player. When enabled, the TDBots will resort to
learning the map from the player's exploration of it if there's no loaded
waypoint file for the current map. Works in Zandronum as well!
(NOTE: Use Waypoints must be ON for this to work, and this only takes
effect in Deathmatch and competitive modes!)

-New option: Teleport cooldown time. This is the amount of time in seconds
before you can call a bot to your location again. Minimum delay is 5
seconds, and max is 120 seconds (4 minutes).

-Waypoints should REALLY be invisible now. Sorry, I don't know how I keep
messing this up!

Hey, if you have a mod you want to request a compatibility patch for, don't be afraid to ask! If you provide a link with your request, I'll definitely look into making a compatibility patch for your mod of choice.

Download in the first post, as always.
"I will find joy in Yahweh. I will delight in my Elohim. He has dressed me in the clothes of salvation. He has wrapped me in the robe of righteousness like a bridegroom with a priest’s turban, like a bride with her jewels."
-Isaiah 61:10 (Names of God Bible)

TDRR
Forum Regular

Re: TDBots: The fast-performing bots v26 (3/4/2020)

Post by TDRR » Fri Apr 03, 2020 5:12 am

Updated! This update improves the map learning feature significantly.

Before I go into the changelog details, I want to point out that deathmatches with the TDBots in ZDoom are unsupported. Thanks to
the built-in ZCajun bot AI interfering with the TDBot AI, various unfixable bugs have arised in ZDoom only, which include extremely poor following
of waypoints, inability to fire consistently well at an opponent, the inaccuracy flag having the exact opposite effect and even more. These aren't
issues in Zandronum as the built-in AI can be easily disabled and thus there's no interference with the TDBot AI.

I'm not gonna take any bug reports for deathmatches in ZDoom for those reasons, as most bugs are outside of my reach to fix. If you can prove the
bug also happens in Zandronum, I'll gladly listen to your bug report. And I'll also try to provide some support for cooperative gameplay in ZDoom, because
at least that is worth fixing (i.e ZDoom provides a bit better experience in co-op than what Zandronum does).

With that out of the way, most of the changelog is as follows:
-Added a compatibility patch for Armageddon Invasion, this patch was made by
proerd888 at TSPG a while ago, but I did not find out until recently when I was
digging around in TSPG. Anyways, thanks to proerd888 for this.

-Bot learning is better now, they will begin to use an incomplete version of
the info 30 seconds into the match, and will update their knowledge when at 1
minute, update again at 1 minute 30 seconds, and one last time at 2 minutes.
This improves their ability to learn larger maps and also makes them learn
noticeably faster.

-"Use Waypoints" no longer needs to be enabled for "learn the map from player".

-Removed the option for accurate waypoint following. It's always activated
now as performance difference is negligible
, and some people that didn't
change the option would get a very bad first impression otherwise.

-Cleaned up the first post, now there's less overwhelming stuff, usage guide has
been shortened to only what's necessary, added a bit of a guide for installation in Delta-Touch,
and there's ever so slightly less links scattered around and instead put into a better spoiler tag.

Download link in the first post, as always.
"I will find joy in Yahweh. I will delight in my Elohim. He has dressed me in the clothes of salvation. He has wrapped me in the robe of righteousness like a bridegroom with a priest’s turban, like a bride with her jewels."

sleep
New User

Post by sleep » Thu Apr 16, 2020 4:34 pm

It should spread the plasma shots and other guns that shoots slow projectiles at high rates towards the player. Watch it become as good, if not better than zandronum bots at using plasma.

TDRR
Forum Regular

Post by TDRR » Thu Apr 16, 2020 7:59 pm

sleep wrote:
Thu Apr 16, 2020 4:34 pm
It should spread the plasma shots and other guns that shoots slow projectiles at high rates towards the player. Watch it become as good, if not better than zandronum bots at using plasma.
That might be a good idea for another flag, or I think this could be done already with BotForceInacc. I'll test and then release an update when it's done.

TDRR
Forum Regular

Re: TDBots: The fast-performing bots v26b (16/4/2020)

Post by TDRR » Thu Apr 16, 2020 8:27 pm

Updated! This is a very small one, it just makes the bots use the Doom's Plasma Rifle, Chex's Phasing Zorcher, Heretic's Skull Rod slightly more intelligently.

TDRR
Forum Regular

Re: TDBots: The fast-performing bots v26c (23/4/2020)

Post by TDRR » Thu Apr 23, 2020 5:17 pm

Updated! This is mostly a bugfix update.

Full changelog as follows:
-Map learning now works on all competitive gamemodes, instead of only Deathmatch (This was always the intention, but I messed up on a line of code).

-Fixed nodelist info being displayed multiple times in certain cases.

Download link in the first post, as always!

penguin

Post by penguin » Tue Jan 12, 2021 7:41 am

I created a weapon patch for aow, but it doesn't work correctly. The bots will target actors on the same team and building.

TDRR
Forum Regular

Post by TDRR » Thu Jan 14, 2021 3:17 am

penguin wrote:
Tue Jan 12, 2021 7:41 am
I created a weapon patch for aow, but it doesn't work correctly. The bots will target actors on the same team and building.
This isn't a weapon patch problem, but rather an issue with the mod in Zandronum (I think I figured out a fix in GZDoom some versions ago). I'm not sure of a good way to make them identify teammates.

TDRR
Forum Regular

Re: TDBots v27: The "we're one" update!

Post by TDRR » Tue Jan 26, 2021 3:16 am

Well, I guess it's time to update the TDBots. I don't think the last update was too long ago, I mean, how much time could've pass- HOLY CRAP IT'S BEEN 9 MONTHS?!

Okay okay, maybe it's been a while, but to compensate for that, this update finally marks the day where both the GZDoom and Zandronum version have feature-parity...
...which also means that the TDBots in Zandronum are now infinitely superior to when they're used in GZDoom, so there's hardly any reason to even use them in GZDoom besides for mods/mapsets that aren't compatible with Zandronum, unfortunately.

Here's the full changelog from v26c:
-Merged both the GZDoom and Zandronum version into one, so now Zandronum players can play using the normal version.
(The bots still work much better in Zandronum vs GZDoom, please use it if you can)

-Bots will no longer shoot neither friendly monsters nor players in co-op, and
they also won't shoot players in their own team
(in team-based modes).
Yes, for real this time, and it works in Zandronum too.

-Bots can now follow players in Zandronum too, and they'll pick the closest
player to follow online.

-Bots now switch between weapons they have in vanilla.

-tdbots_usenodes no longer needs to be enabled for following the player, or
learning the map.

-Slightly cleaned up the TDBot_Main script (less duplicate code).

-Removed the ability for bots to seek items. The only place where this was
even remotely useful, was in bot-only matches, other than that the
map learning renders it obsolete, and it stops bots from eating up your
ammo in co-op. This change was done as it was the only feature left that
the Zandronum version didn't have, and it wasn't worth keeping the split.

TDRR
Forum Regular

Re: TDBots: The fast-performing bots v28 (19/06/2021)

Post by TDRR » Sun Jun 20, 2021 3:40 am

New update!
I've probably said in the past that more realistic player movement and bot orders are not worth the effort/impossible. Well, now past me looks even more like an idiot because this update includes that and quite a bit more stuff!

The highlights of this v28 update are:
-Bots move a lot more like a real player. Instead of always being able to stop
instantly and accelerate back to full speed immediately, they now take a
bit of time to accelerate and change movement directions.

-You can now give orders to bots! It's very basic, but aiming at a bot and
pressing the "Bot order" key (needs to be bound in customize controls!)
in cooperative will make that bot switch between hold position and roaming
modes.
The new "Allow bot orders" option ("tdbots_alloworder" CVAR) lets you
disable this even in cooperative, if you choose to.

-New command: tdbots_dumpnodes. This dumps the current map learning results
(updated until 2 minutes into the match).

This very much allows you to export them as any regular nodelist, like
the ones created in nodestudio for instance.

-Bots now walk when moving through a path of precision nodes, to avoid falling
off easily (with moderate success, needs testing :p)

And a couple other fixes. Check out the full changelog in the first post if you're interested, and download the mod while you're at it too!

TDRR
Forum Regular

Re: TDBots: The fast-performing bots v29 (17/08/2021)

Post by TDRR » Tue Aug 17, 2021 10:31 pm

NOTE: if you downloaded v29, please update to v29b! It's a hotfix to fix a bug with the auto teleport randomly teleporting bots online, when no player is in-game.

It's that time, yet again! It's not the biggest update ever, but it sure has a couple requested features, and an important change.

I'll let the changelog speak for itself:
-Switched to using BCS as the compiler. Some of it's features are currently used, like enums and getting the length of an array (for chat arrays).

-Added option to teleport bots to the player they're following automatically if they're too far away (tdbots_autoteledist).
(yes, you can stop asking for this one now lol)

-Bots now alert monsters when shooting.

-New global flag: TDBots_EnableAnimation. If an actor named like this exists, animation overrides that were always on from pre-v28 builds are enabled.
Alternatively, the tdbots_forceanim CVAR also does the same.

-Bots now turn around if they've been sliding along a wall for too long (mostly relevant when navigating without waypoints, any players, or map learning enabled).

And a couple other minor fixes.

Thanks to everyone for the support, and thanks to guest6777 who's been creating some patches, namely for Complex Doom Invasion, Futur War and Shotgun Frenzy Plus. Need help with those difficult waves? Go try them out!

TDRR
Forum Regular

Re: TDBots: The fast-performing bots v30 (06/11/2021)

Post by TDRR » Sat Nov 06, 2021 11:47 pm

Updated! This update has some super good stuff that's been wanted since day one!
And also fixes a handful of issues, a couple that have happened for a very long time. Oops.

Here's most of the changelog:

-Added an universal patch for Zandronum! When loaded (and it should be loaded
last in the load order), the bots are able to fire any mod weapons the
native Zandronum bots could, and also know if a weapon is a melee weapon
automatically.

-Added a waypoint list addon for QC:DE maps! Currently 6 FFA and all 4 duel maps
are supported, with more to be added in the future.

-The Rocket Arena weapon list now doubles as a weapon selection list.
So, if the mod has a RA weapon list, bots can randomly switch between
the weapons listed in it, if they have the weapon (independent of whether
Rocket Arena is on or off).

-Bots now use MeleeRange instead of Accuracy as the property to set their
movement speed.
This also fixes Strife compatibility. It's been broken since
v17! Very sorry for this long-standing issue!

-Bots now set the speed to default if undefined after morphing. Fixes a bug
most notably in D4T that would keep them from moving while under the
effects of a demon rune.

-Nodes can now be placed in the map itself correctly, as in old versions.
Load the TDBots pk3 as a resource and you should see a new category with
the nodes in a supported editor (DB2 and newer, and SLADE) with some fancy
icons courtesy of inkoalawetrust!

-"bot has no script defined, he will not do anything" message removed in Zandronum.

-Fixed bug that would make the bots say "lol tdrr fix this you moron" randomly.
(at least the message does it's job, lol)

-And added a SPECIAL_THANKS lump, thanking a few people for contributions and
motivation.
I hope I didn't miss anyone!

Trudaddy
New User

Post by Trudaddy » Mon Dec 06, 2021 11:20 pm

Hey,

I stumbled across your bots and they are great! I love how they actually explore the map and are less CPU intensive BY FAR. I have been working on an LMS/Battle Royale mod for Brutal Doom for a while now. It is near complete. But the botplay with the included Zandronum bots is lacking. They are great at combat, but do weird stuff like freeze up, won't reload, and can't really explore. I want to implement your bots, I know I can add waypoints in my editor, I have tried it and it is working good. However, I have some questions before I can fully implement:

#1) can your bots be made to switch weapons in Brutal Doom? Use grenades?

#2) can they be made to swim?

and #3)Can they aim vertically (I notice they don't)

These are three main factors that prevent me from utilizing your bots over the Zandronum ones. I am not asking for you to fix these things or anything, but was seeing if they are planned features or if you could offer a little guidance? Of course, if you wanted to collab on this that'd be great, too! Below is a link to

my mod: https://www.moddb.com/mods/brutal-hell-royale

Thanks for your time!

TDRR
Forum Regular

Post by TDRR » Fri Dec 10, 2021 1:48 am

Trudaddy wrote:
Mon Dec 06, 2021 11:20 pm
I want to implement your bots, I know I can add waypoints in my editor, I have tried it and it is working good. However, I have some questions before I can fully implement:
#1) can your bots be made to switch weapons in Brutal Doom? Use grenades?
Yes to both. In fact, the Brutal Doom v21 compatibility patch in the main post already does the latter, and additionally makes them reload their weapon even if they've not fired all their shots if they don't have anything to shoot at.
Weapon switching isn't added by that patch, however it's not hard to add on your own as v30 now makes use of the Rocket Arena weapon list to switch weapons. All it involves is creating a LANGUAGE lump on your pk3 and putting this in it:

Code: Select all

[enu default]

TDBOTS_RA_WEAPONS = "weapon;weapon;weapon";
TDBOTS_RA_AMMO = "ammo;ammo;ammo";
Where "weapon" is the actor name of a weapon. "ammo" is the actor name of an ammo type (that bit is not 100% necessary, you can skip specifying TDBOTS_RA_AMMO completely if you're not going to use Rocket Arena mode, and if you are include a megahealth and armor if you want, along with any other items you want players to start with in RA mode), and both are lists of actor names separated by ;. Don't include starting weapons in the weapon list.
As an example with some of D4T's weapons:

Code: Select all

[enu default]

TDBOTS_RA_WEAPONS = "D4Shotgun;D4SuperShotgun;D4HAR;D4Chaingun;D4RocketLauncher;D4GrenadeLauncher;D4PlasmaRifle;D4LightningGun;D4BFG";
TDBOTS_RA_AMMO = "D4Bullets;D4Shells;D4Cells;D4Rockets;D4Slugs;D4Megasphere";
Trudaddy wrote:
#2) can they be made to swim?
Not sure. I've tried before but didn't find any success, bots kept sinking and no change in velocity would help to move them at all. This seems to be tied to mass but then there's the issue that players will be kicked back further the more mass is reduced (and no, it can't be changed dynamically in Zandronum AFAIK).
Basically, I doubt it.
Trudaddy wrote:
These are three main factors that prevent me from utilizing your bots over the Zandronum ones. I am not asking for you to fix these things or anything, but was seeing if they are planned features or if you could offer a little guidance? Of course, if you wanted to collab on this that'd be great, too!
If you need any more help you need then please let me know! Sorry for the delay in my reply, and also sorry because two of the issues you asked can't be fixed at least right now. Wish I could do more but at the moment I can't think of any fix on my end.

Trudaddy
New User

Post by Trudaddy » Sat Dec 11, 2021 3:02 pm

Thanks for responding! I have tried the BrutalV21 TD Bots patch, they do not reload until empty. I load the patch after I load Brutal Doom. Other than the load order I don't know what else would be wrong. I will check again! I will try the weapon list as well! Thanks for this information.

The bots that come with Zandronum swim and can aim along the Z axis, so this must be possible. They also jump as well, just not intelligently lol. Any further thoughts?

Thanks again! I am still interested in your bots, even for a different project I am cooking up!

TDRR
Forum Regular

Post by TDRR » Sun Dec 12, 2021 10:26 pm

Trudaddy wrote:
Sat Dec 11, 2021 3:02 pm
The bots that come with Zandronum swim and can aim along the Z axis
Yes, but of course that's a very different thing. Those are native bots and can modify and do anything as they please, because they have integration into the source code. 99% of what I'm doing is largely DECORATE + ACS hackery, as such I don't have anywhere near the same level of flexibility.
Trudaddy wrote:
Sat Dec 11, 2021 3:02 pm
Thanks again! I am still interested in your bots, even for a different project I am cooking up!
That's great! Hit me up if you need more help or any feature that could be reasonably implemented.

TDRR
Forum Regular

Re: TDBots Mk2 - Preview (24/02/2022)

Post by TDRR » Fri Feb 25, 2022 1:19 am

Sorry to keep y'all waiting, but hopefully this preview build makes up for it.
It's here, the "sneak peek" of the TDBots Mk2, an almost total rewrite. Now with 100% more mod compatibility out of the box, more aiming up and down, and other great changes. This one is a bit big, but I'd really recommend giving the changelog a read!

Oh, and there's 100% less GZDoom compatibility here, it's officially now a Zandronum bot only.
v30 will stay there for anyone who (for some reason) wants to put up with the buggy mess that is using any bots in modern GZDoom (which is, again, a bug with the port, not the TDBots, and nothing can be done from my side). They should work decently in ZDoom, and older L/GZDoom releases, however.

Some features are currently missing. Remember this is a preview, and mostly the essential things are reimplemented!
Spoiler: Changelog for the TDBots Mk2 preview build (Open)
-Major re-do and cleanup. Almost all of the bot AI is handled via BCS, and
DECORATE has been reduced to a merely auxiliary role. The code is a lot
cleaner and shorter, and MUCH easier to improve and expand.

-QC:DE maps addon updated. Now almost all of the maps are in! (except a couple
FFA maps that wouldn't ever play well with bots)

-Bots can now play almost anything, even DEHACKED mods. They can fire essentially any
weapon, and so the built-in IWAD compatibility weapon replacements are now
gone, as they're unnecessary and simply cause issues.

-Bots can now aim up and down! Yes, finally!

-Bots now get the EXPLOSIVE and MELEE weapon flags from the actual weapon actor.
This should allow them to always use weapons mostly correctly.
Note that due to an implementation detail in ZDoom itself, DEHACKED weapons
can't have this (I'll add a fallback later).

-Mod support can now be trivially integrated into the TDBots themselves, without
requiring explicit support from the mod.
Currently weapon lists are defined
bot-side, and certain things like allowing quickswitching are part of this.
MM8BDM is the only mod with this kind of support, with more mods and other
features to hopefully be added in the future.

-Bots can now jump without special nodes! If a ledge is within jumping height,
bots will jump up to reach it, while roaming or following map-placed nodes.
The jump height and calculations are accurate to the playerclass they're
using, and jumping is only done if the server flags allow it.

-When firing at a target, bots may choose to close in (while also keeping a
reasonable distance), or just continue firing from their current spot.

-Bots in competitive modes will occassionally decide to chase down their target
if it goes out of sight instead of immediately letting it go.

-When following a player in cooperative modes, bots will keep a distance of 96
units to allow walking around more easily.

-botskill is the CVAR to adjust bot aiming accuracy now, ranging from 0-4, and
works much better and is more flexible than the old easy mode.

-Bots can now respawn and join Duel games, among other things, without changing
any CVARs. (you're no longer forced to respawn if the TDBots are loaded!)

-Weapon lists are now in BCS arrays. Currently LANGUAGE lists aren't parsed, but
I'll re-add that in the future.

-The handful of remaining DECORATE code is better organized into separate files.

-New DEBUG_MODE define in BCS, to turn on some extra debug prints and logs.

-Many, many bugs have been fixed as a result of the rewrite.
Among those would be bots not switching away when their weapon is out of
ammo, but also in general janky weapon usage is corrected.

-Bots no longer chat online. Or well, they never did, logs don't show up to the
clients, only the server console, but you could hear their chat sound.
Of course, chat is still functional offline.

-A warning is now shown if competitive modes are attempted to be played with a
bot while online.
Offline still works as usual, and cooperative modes still
work perfectly online.

-GZDoom compatibility is, officially, gone. Sorry guys, but that most certainly
[Won't change] at this point. It holds back improvement and makes mod compat
a bigger issue than it should be on top of the ZCajun bots being irreparably
broken (mod-side, that is), so that's just a [No]. :^)
(and now a warning is shown when loading the TDBots in GZDoom)
Go grab it in the first post!

TDRR
Forum Regular

Re: TDBots Mk2 - v1 (11/05/2022)

Post by TDRR » Wed May 18, 2022 12:19 am

Updated! Very sorry for the long wait, I hope it's worth it for you all.

This is the first "full" release of Mk2, and is now almost feature-complete. Most features from the legacy version that haven't returned here, are thus unlikely to come back.
Since this is the first full release, everything related to the legacy version is now moved to a separate spoiler on the main post, to reduce the clutter a little bit (still not perfect, but an improvement).

In short- a couple more mods have enhanced support, some requested features are now here, certain features are finally back from the legacy version, and there's a couple new things for modders along with bug fixes.
Spoiler: Full changelog (Open)
-Added Skulltag compatibility (with built-in nodes for it's DM/Duel/LMS maps!).

-Added Complex Doom and Brutal Doom v21 compatibility.

-Added tdbots_disablesectordmg. When enabled, bots won't receive damage from
normally damaging floors.

-Readded the option to teleport bots automatically if they're too far away
from the nearest player
(tdbots_autoteledist).

-NodeStudio is back! Same old UI-wise, but it's back, and now integrated into
the main library (under a separate namespace).

-Readded LANGUAGE weapon lists, under the "TDBOTS_WEAPONLIST" name.

-Readded SPECIAL_THANKS.txt, had forgotten about it!

-Added "easy bots" patch, reducing the bot's reaction time and accuracy
substantially.

-Bots now treat DEHACKED weapons like vanilla weapons. So fist and chainsaw
slot weapons are treated as melee. In addition, the Rocket Launcher
is now considered an explosive weapon in vanilla Doom and with DEHACKED.

-Bots may now stop following nodes for a little while if they've been stuck.

-Improved nodeless navigation, bots shouldn't get stuck on walls anymore.

-Custom weapon lists can now be set from ACS (BCS highly recommended!).

-Custom BCS roam and attack functions can be set by reference (GDCC-CC can
*probably* use them, too, with a proper header file).

-Added ACS and BCS header files, to help access the previous two additions in
external patches.

-NodeStudio should now work correctly with Hexen and other maps with ACS.
Go check it out!

Gordon9999
New User

Post by Gordon9999 » Sat Jul 09, 2022 4:23 am

Hey, your bots are really cool! With latest release I can finally play Samsara Reincarnation with them (I did the patch before, and then I abandoned it, but now it's very cool to play with them). Keep going!

papasrod
New User

Post by papasrod » Fri Sep 30, 2022 11:51 am

This looks solid!
In reality, this world is free from suffering and pleasure.
The more you are attached to pleasure, the more you fear pain
The harder you pursue virtue, the more you obsess over evil
The more you seek success, the more you fear failure
The more you find value in something, the scaried becomes its loss
The more you get attached to living, the more terrifying becomes

The dance of ego never ends.
But there is no need to worry.

Enjoy the times of pleasure,
and when the hardships come it's okay to feel sad!.