Duel40a (May 27, 2015)

Maps, modifications, add-ons, projects, and other releases for Zandronum. Also includes announcers.
AlexMax
Forum Regular

RE: Duel40a (May 27, 2015)

Post by AlexMax » Thu May 28, 2015 1:06 am

Duel40a is out.

EDIT: Of course I notice something at the last second. Back in a jiffy.

EDIT2: And it's back up. If you had downloaded it in the past 30 minutes, please delete and redownload.
Last edited by AlexMax on Thu May 28, 2015 1:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
The only limit to my freedom is the inevitable closure of the
universe, as inevitable as your own last breath. And yet,
there remains time to create, to create, and escape.

Escape will make me God.

Doomkid
Frequent Poster Miles card holder
Clan: UniDoom
Clan Tag: [UD]

Post by Doomkid » Tue Jun 02, 2015 2:53 pm

Hey AlexMax, when I click the link to Duel40a in the post on page 1, it just says "Firefox can't find the server at files.funcrusherplus.net"

Is anyone else having this problem or is it just on my end?

HexaDoken
Forum Regular

Post by HexaDoken » Tue Jun 02, 2015 3:09 pm

No, you are not, it seems. Getting this too.

AlexMax
Forum Regular

Post by AlexMax » Sat Jun 06, 2015 12:24 am

Link is fixed.

Escape will make me God.

Doomkid

Post by Doomkid » Fri Sep 25, 2015 1:43 pm

Extreme-O-Bump

Was just playing for like the billionth time and only just now noticed the author of SSL2 is unlisted - It was created by Sslasher :)

Combinebobnt
Retired Staff / Community Team Member

Post by Combinebobnt » Fri Sep 25, 2015 5:13 pm

Good job doom kid u solved the duel32 mystery

Doomkid

Post by Doomkid » Sat Sep 26, 2015 3:00 am

i know, i'm basically sherlock holmes

Also I noticed king1 just has Jason as the author, full name is Jason Yasuko

Combinebobnt

Post by Combinebobnt » Tue Jan 12, 2016 6:44 am

Fat bump: Can you update this wad because there is a nice bug where your opponent telefrags you at spawn, your corpse slides across the floor, and then the corpse picks a map.

Shane
Forum Regular
Clan: Renegades
Clan Tag: [R]

Post by Shane » Tue Jan 12, 2016 9:51 am

Also would be a good idea to get the updated uptightdm map08 from the uptight duel wad that I was buggin you about sometime ago

AlexMax
Forum Regular

Post by AlexMax » Thu Jan 14, 2016 3:32 am

Combinebobnt wrote: Fat bump: Can you update this wad because there is a nice bug where your opponent telefrags you at spawn, your corpse slides across the floor, and then the corpse picks a map.
The real bug here is that people are able to telefrag each other, period. There are four spawns, and Doom really tries hard to avoid telefragging somebody. I've long suspected that something is screwy with Zandronum's spawning code when somebody joins the game.

But yeah, I can crank out a fix. I've also been considering a few extra things:

- Remove a map (Chill3 is the least picked map and has an abysmal completion%, Skirmish map01 has the highest skip%)
- Add Oblivx2
- Updating the uptight map
- I've been brainstorming ideas of how to make Random select more appealing. What if Random allowed the players a choice of three randomly-selected maps, and if the players chose differently, it randomly picked between the two.
Last edited by AlexMax on Thu Jan 14, 2016 3:38 am, edited 1 time in total.

Escape will make me God.

Doomkid

Post by Doomkid » Thu Jan 14, 2016 6:56 am

AlexMax wrote: I've been brainstorming ideas of how to make Random select more appealing. What if Random allowed the players a choice of three randomly-selected maps, and if the players chose differently, it randomly picked between the two.
This sounds like a pretty good idea honestly. Mario Kart 8 does this, it's quite effective.

ZZYZX
Posts a lot
Clan: A3
Clan Tag: [A3]

Post by ZZYZX » Sat Jan 16, 2016 8:35 am

AlexMax wrote:The real bug here is that people are able to telefrag each other, period.
I think you're a bit overreacting. Also the REAL real bug here is the infamous Doom corpse slide. Period ;)
AlexMax wrote:- Add Oblivx2
Why not Oblivx4? It's done AFAIK. It also looks and plays way better than 2.

btw what about geography_duel?

Shane
Forum Regular

Post by Shane » Sat Jan 16, 2016 8:43 am

Alexmax wrote:- I've been brainstorming ideas of how to make Random select more appealing. What if Random allowed the players a choice of three randomly-selected maps, and if the players chose differently, it randomly picked between the two.
sounds like a total cop out to me, real men pick random and play their match to the end

Catastrophe

Post by Catastrophe » Sat Jan 16, 2016 7:15 pm

Shane wrote:
Alexmax wrote:- I've been brainstorming ideas of how to make Random select more appealing. What if Random allowed the players a choice of three randomly-selected maps, and if the players chose differently, it randomly picked between the two.
sounds like a total cop out to me, real men pick random and play their match to the end
So if the fraglimit were 50 and random picks Aurora, (lets assume it's still in the pack), you'd be willing to spend the 20 minutes required to complete that godawful map?

Ivan
Addicted to Zandronum

Post by Ivan » Sat Jan 16, 2016 7:29 pm

To be honest the random should always give you two options: Reroll or go back to map select. No need to force it down on the players really.
=== RAGNAROK DM ON ... uh... dead forever? ===
=== ALWAYS BET ON ... uh... dead forever? ===
=== Who wanta sum wang? ===
=== Death and Decay - A new Monster/Weapon replacer ===

Shane
Forum Regular

Post by Shane » Sun Jan 17, 2016 12:25 am

So if the fraglimit were 50 and random picks Aurora, (lets assume it's still in the pack), you'd be willing to spend the 20 minutes required to complete that godawful map?
absolutely

AlexMax
Forum Regular

Post by AlexMax » Sun Jan 17, 2016 1:07 am

Catastrophe wrote:
Shane wrote:
Aurora in Duel40b confirmed. I hope you're happy.

In fairness to Shane, my "pick from random 3" suggestion doesn't actually fix that problem. There's always going to be an element of randomness to random select, and eventually, you're gonna be forced to play a map you don't like, either because it was randomly picked, the dude you're playing against selects it somehow, or some combination of both.

Escape will make me God.

Doomkid

Post by Doomkid » Wed Jan 20, 2016 10:21 am

Just want to pop in to say my detective work is dodgy, turns out ssl2 wasn't made by Sslasher after all - https://www.doomworld.com/vb/wads-mods/ ... dentified/

Armitage
Forum Regular
Clan: Exodus
Clan Tag: [E]

Re: Duel40a (May 27, 2015)

Post by Armitage » Sun Apr 10, 2016 10:22 am

Just want to chime in on my thoughts regarding maps to be removed.

Brit10 Map07 - Apart from it being rarely picked it never striked me as an interesting map given it's essentially a case of corridor camping if your opponent refuses to brawl in the exposed outdoor area.

Chill3 Map07 - The least picked map as mentioned meaning it isn't popular, that makes it suitable to be replaced by a more appealing contester.

Geography_Duel - Played this once as part of the #miniduel tournaments where their was a lower then average sign up due to an intolerance towards the map, absolute garbage due to the spawn points being to close to one another so your guaranteed to get spawn raped most of the time. Should be replaced by a better map.

Sipooma - I don't mind the map as it's an exciting, adrenaline rush with the close quarter combat and obvious potential for spawn rape but I think a better map can take it's place.

Skirmish Map01 - Rarely played as already mentioned, I always thought the incorporation of those walls which provide cover and potential for mind games in an otherwise, unsheletered outdoor area was intriguing but it ultimate falls short as you can stick with the SSG due to being able to reach each corner of the map no problem, making the inclusion of the other weaponary (namely RL and Plasma) useless and therefore uninteresting.

I do like Skirmish Map02 however which feels like an alternative Greenwar Map20, with the interior, side areas providing good cover and sniping potential, along with the obvious fierce brawl over the exposed BFG in the courtyard.

UDM3 Map03 - Rarely if ever picked and it seems unusually large for a duel map, I mean the distance between the outside and the inside is relatively big to the point where you camp the inside corner and effectively cut out part of the playing area.

Now another Dweller2 map would be awesome to see! :biggrin:
"He who hesitates is lost".

Combinebobnt

Re: Duel40a (May 27, 2015)

Post by Combinebobnt » Sun Apr 10, 2016 5:47 pm

hi armitage alexmax releases an update once a decade, maybe he'll do one soon. Let's see what u say about the maps:

brit map10: um my favorite map ever if you want to take it out you have to beat me 5 times in a row on it in 3d <arg>entina servers with 400 ping

chill3 - lol

geography duel - someone failed geography class

sipooma - some people hate it and some people like it. I don't foresee it going out next update tbh

skirmish 01 - arg said this can be replaced with another skirmish map. easy solution

udm3 - i dunno why alexmax put udm in again, its a deathmatch pack not really duel. if he posts his excel sheet of stats he'll probably find this map with 2 picks every tuesday on thanksgiving only and a completion rate of -2%

Another dweller map used to be in and it wasn't as good as our favorite map11, so off it went.