Duel40a (May 27, 2015)

Maps, modifications, add-ons, projects, and other releases for Zandronum. Also includes announcers.
Ru5tK1ng
Frequent Poster Miles card holder

Re: Duel40a (May 27, 2015)

Post by Ru5tK1ng » Thu Sep 15, 2016 3:13 pm

BRIT10 MAP01: Is this a troll? The only reason this has even been played for the last 10 years is for ZD animals to gain Exp by killing 10 people at once with the BFG.
DWANGO5 MAP02: Hmm. Only Bob, UD, and like 3 other people are going to play this. I think it's alright, it just looks like shit (wish it had the udm1 look) and it's a tad too cramped. But if your average user plays 'stuff' like sipooma, then it might pick up..

Oblivx2 and Skirmish18: I've played both multiple times and they are fine. Just have to wait and see if stats back that up over time.

DANZIG2 MAP19 : This is like the retarded cousin of judas: a rectangle with a hallway around it. It's flat as hell and only has 1 ssg tucked away in a corner. Surely there are better out there.
MOO1M: Only nostalgia would cause people to pick this. There's a reason why it's forgotten by time, the other moo is better.
GOTHICDM MAP01: Shit spawns everywhere. If a spawn isn't a pistol spawn, it's a pistol spawn with the weapon off to the side. BFG is easily accessible and, yeah, the single SSG is in an easily controlled spot. I'd put the weapons on the spawns, add an ssg (not a spawn) near the exit door and swap the bfg with plasma and remove the damage slime. The txt doesn't discourage editing so, fix the problems and put it in.
GOTHICDM MAP11: Looks like the brother of greenwar 16 except with more room and elevation. This strikes me as a map where you spend more time searching than fighting. Since people can't use their ears, it probably won't go over well. This is the only map on this list I haven't played, so your guess is as good as mine if you've never played it.

AlexMax
Forum Regular

Post by AlexMax » Thu Sep 15, 2016 11:40 pm

The reason I posted literally ever map ever in the pack is precisely because I was not comfortable with the new maps as they stood. Brit10 especially. Was hoping to have more material to look back over.

However, making decisions on maps to add and remove is not an easy task, at least not for me. I don't think that a map being unpopular is in and of itself a sin - in any map pack there will always be popular and unpopular maps. Being divisive isn't necessarily a sin either - some players might enjoy a map that others flat-out hate. And I feel like having a map set that consists only of the least controversial of maps might end up a little...monotonous. So I take chances on maps like CHILL3 and GEOGRAPHY_DUEL and end up looking like an idiot every release....almost. :smile:

So for this release, I'm going to try and take a third variable (the first two being individual players opinions and my statistics) into account. I'm not sure why it didn't occur to me earlier, but I can actually check my logfiles for how active players are on my servers. If somebody is on my duel servers a lot, I think it makes sense to go out of my way to ask those people what they want to see.

As a first approximation, wins are an easy thing to tally. They're not perfect, but at the very least it gives me a good place to start. If I'm looking at the month of August, Doomsphere is #1 in wins on the server. If I extend my search, I find that Combinebobnt has been remarkably consistent - #2 in wins every month across the past several months. And over the whole year, Caboose has the most wins. On the other hand, somebody like Doomkid only has 5 wins across the entire year (sorry, bud). So unless somebody else with a lot of playtime sticks up for it, you probably shouldn't expect to see D6M1 come back, for example.

Don't get this twisted - I 100% appreciate literally anybody who takes time out of their day to give their opinions of good maps, bad maps, and even better - LOOKING AT MAPS, PLAYTESTING MAPS, and GIVING MAP SUGGESTIONS. But this time, I'm going add player server activity to the mix to help weigh things, and see how things turn out. Hopefully, I can rely on active players to be able to tell the difference between a map that's divisive and one that's just plain awful.

Oh, and I'm also not saying that the three specific people I listed are the three designated tastemakers for this release either, they were just examples of the sorts of people i would specifically seek out.
The only limit to my freedom is the inevitable closure of the
universe, as inevitable as your own last breath. And yet,
there remains time to create, to create, and escape.

Escape will make me God.

Doomkid
Clan: UniDoom
Clan Tag: [UD]

Post by Doomkid » Fri Sep 16, 2016 2:19 am

Damn - Its unfortunate that only the stats from certain clusters are checked, as dueling in any server that isn't West Coast is pointless (280 ping = opposite of fun)

I'll have to see if there's some way I can check/sync stats from Doomshack, I've played hundreds of duels this year on Zand, 5 is definitely not representative of my activity level. I know he's banned here but Decay and several other players can confirm I'm actually rather active on the scene.

AlexMax
Forum Regular

Post by AlexMax » Fri Sep 16, 2016 2:49 am

Doomkid wrote:Damn - Its unfortunate that only the stats from certain clusters are checked, as dueling in any server that isn't West Coast is pointless (280 ping = opposite of fun)

I'll have to see if there's some way I can check/sync stats from Doomshack, I've played hundreds of duels this year on Zand, 5 is definitely not representative of my activity level. I know he's banned here but Decay and several other players can confirm I'm actually rather active on the scene.
I kinda secretly suspected that. That's fair. Check IRC, I'll tell you the secrets of my stat collection.

I did mention that number of wins is a good first-order approximation (which I misused, I actually meant a good first guess, which is actually technically a zeroth-order approximation - whoops). To be more specific, when counting total number of times you and another player have selected a map, it was 27, not just 5. But it was harder to collect selection stats in aggregate - I'll probably have to write a separate script for that instead of just bashing together a bunch of shell.
Last edited by AlexMax on Fri Sep 16, 2016 3:35 am, edited 1 time in total.

Escape will make me God.

Doomkid

Post by Doomkid » Fri Sep 16, 2016 3:13 am

Thanks a million for the responses & sending over those scripts on IRC, I'll have the stats dumped by tonight

EDIT: here's the spreadsheet - https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... dI/pubhtml

Only for August/Sept (so far) but it's really nice to be able to get these stats easily. Will have the results from the other scripts this weekend, thanks again! (The other stats will probably be more interesting, I know these numbers are tiny compared to the data you've collected so far)

EDIT 2: So I know I've rambled a lot already in this thread, but how do you guys feel about Brit11 map01? That one is great in FFA, but it does seem to drag on a bit in duel, especially with more defensive players. I'm curious to hear what others think, though

ZZYZX
Posts a lot
Clan: A3
Clan Tag: [A3]

Post by ZZYZX » Fri Sep 16, 2016 8:28 am

Doomkid wrote:I'll have to see if there's some way I can check/sync stats from Doomshack, I've played hundreds of duels this year on Zand
Hi Decoy the not-doomkid?

HeX9109
Retired Staff / Community Team Member

Post by HeX9109 » Fri Sep 16, 2016 1:44 pm

Hello.

Consider looking at d2duel5. It was made by Toke for Skulltag and uses only stock Doom 2 weapons. I enjoyed playing this map a lot on Skulltag 97c3.

Other people may not feel the same, but I'm just throwing it out there.

Combinebobnt

Post by Combinebobnt » Fri Sep 16, 2016 6:05 pm

i played that map once against metalhead and thats it

its really small with pistol spawns, maybe the skulltag animals might like it for the ssg?

edit: does anyone like dweller2 map01

ARGENTVM

Post by ARGENTVM » Fri Sep 16, 2016 8:17 pm

Combinebobnt wrote:i played that map once against metalhead and thats it

its really small with pistol spawns, maybe the skulltag animals might like it for the ssg?

edit: does anyone like dweller2 map01
Doesn't look like a particularly fun map with pistol spawns in bad places. Maybe if spawns were fixed? Wondering how campable the water pit is and if there's a way to give more incentive to go outside since all of the SSGs are indoors (though there are two spawns outside and only one of them has a weapon [the chaingun], sounds good for spawn-fragging).

As for Dweller2 Map01, it's a good map for people who like having a great amount of pistol spawns with some spawns disorienting and a couple of the spawns facing a ledge you can't walk over right in the middle of the map. Looking through the map, the only other maps that look promising are 11 and 15, and I've never played 15 (plus 15 has some pistol spawns, though not to the degree of Dweller2 Map01).

Combinebobnt

Post by Combinebobnt » Fri Sep 16, 2016 9:12 pm

ok fuck dweller2 map01 (nobody would pick it anyway)

what do u guys think about dweller2 map15 its pretty ok except one pistol spawn. better than brit10map01

Doomkid

Post by Doomkid » Sat Sep 17, 2016 10:41 pm

Combinebobnt wrote:ok fuck dweller2 map01 (nobody would pick it anyway)

what do u guys think about dweller2 map15 its pretty ok except one pistol spawn. better than brit10map01
I think it's the same case unfortunately, the map is easily better than brit10 map01 but no one would really pick it.
ZZYZX wrote:
Doomkid wrote:I'll have to see if there's some way I can check/sync stats from Doomshack, I've played hundreds of duels this year on Zand
Hi Decoy the not-doomkid?
what is this i dont even

AlexMax
Forum Regular

Post by AlexMax » Sun Oct 28, 2018 11:25 pm

Duel40b is currently in release candidate:

http://files.funcrusher.net/wads/duel40b-rc4.pk3

There is now a new RANDOM dimension! Select from one of four randomly selected maps, one of which is an unknown secret map. If you don't agree with your opponent, a coinflip will decide the map. No stalling allowed, the second player must select a map 10 seconds after the first one.

Other than that, a significant number of maps have been added and removed:

ADDED:
+ BSPEPI
+ CGI1 MAP08
+ PYRRHIC_ MAP01
+ PYRRHIC_ MAP10
+ ROSDUEL
+ SKIRMISH MAP18
+ URITEDM MAP06

CHANGED:
= UPTIGHTDM UPTDM31 to URITEDM MAP12

REMOVED:
- FULOSER
- GEOGRAPHY_DUEL
- KID_DUEL MAP01
- LAZARUS1J MAP01
- SKIRMISH MAP01
- UPTIGHTDM UPTDM08

There is a server up on FUNCRUSHER for testing purposes. Please let me know if you find any bugs or glitches.

[NJ] FUNCRUSHER || DUEL40b Duel (Testing) @ nj.funcrusher.net:10689

EDIT: RC3 is released, changing the look of the RANDOM dimension and portal to something a little nicer and different.

Escape will make me God.

AlexMax
Forum Regular

Post by AlexMax » Sat Nov 10, 2018 12:11 am

Escape will make me God.