Duel40a (May 27, 2015)

Maps, modifications, add-ons, projects, and other releases for Zandronum. Also includes announcers.
AlexMax
Forum Regular

Duel40a (May 27, 2015)

Post by AlexMax » Fri Aug 17, 2012 4:26 am

Download: http://files.funcrusher.net/wads/duel40a.pk3
GitHub Repository: https://github.com/AlexMax/duel32
Map Statistics: http://tinyurl.com/duel32-maps

Duel32 is an ongoing project to compile the 32 best oldschool duel maps and pair them with an easy to use map selector. The compilation is equal parts player convenience, a tribute to classic doom, and a deliberate attempt to introduce players to lesser played maps and potential modern classics.

It started a few years ago as an attempt to make a convenient ingame reminder of the skirmish4f map list. After realizing that memorizing 120 maps was no easy feat no matter how they were arranged, I decided to cut the maplist to a mere 16 to force myself to separate out the wheat from the chaff. A few months later, I expanded the list of maps to 32. A few years later, this thread was created. That's...about it.

Unlike other compilations, I go out of my way to make sure the maps look and feel like they did in their original state. That means using the original skies, the original music, the original intermission screens, and making sure that there are no texture collisions (something I feel a lot of other compilations overlook). Using the same sounds is unfortunately not very feasible, but I believe the compromise I've settled on of using DWANGO5 damage and plasma sound is agreeable. I also really try to make sure that the map selector is functional and easy to navigate, which is why I have been hesitant in the past to expand the number of maps.

Let's start this thread out with a bang. You're in charge of the WAD, and you get to get rid of four maps. Begin.
Last edited by AlexMax on Sat Jun 06, 2015 12:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
The only limit to my freedom is the inevitable closure of the
universe, as inevitable as your own last breath. And yet,
there remains time to create, to create, and escape.

Escape will make me God.

Catastrophe
Retired Staff / Community Team Member

RE: The Duel32 Thread

Post by Catastrophe » Fri Aug 17, 2012 4:30 am

Maps to delete

Aurora
32in2410 map26
Fae_Duel11 MAP01
Fuloser
Last edited by Catastrophe on Fri Aug 17, 2012 4:30 am, edited 1 time in total.

Marcaek
Forum Staff

Post by Marcaek » Fri Aug 17, 2012 4:50 am

Brit10 Map02
Xfire5
Boo
replace the current version of Fae_Duel with the newer one.

Combinebobnt

Post by Combinebobnt » Fri Aug 17, 2012 2:19 pm

Boo
Sipooma
Fuloser
Brit10 Map02

Watermelon
Zandrone

Post by Watermelon » Fri Aug 17, 2012 2:24 pm

32in2410 MAP26
Aurora
Shoot
Duel16

Ivan
Addicted to Zandronum

Post by Ivan » Fri Aug 17, 2012 2:35 pm

Get Exposed in !!! Remove duel16 it's only reason of existence is to troll people !
=== RAGNAROK DM ON ... uh... dead forever? ===
=== ALWAYS BET ON ... uh... dead forever? ===
=== Who wanta sum wang? ===
=== Death and Decay - A new Monster/Weapon replacer ===

Wirtualnosc
Forum Regular

Post by Wirtualnosc » Fri Aug 17, 2012 3:22 pm

Aurora
Dweller2 MAP11
Fuloser
Pobla8
[20:19] <+IdeIdoom> join #VGL
[20:19] <+IdeIdoom> oh fuck
[20:19] <+IdeIdoom> I FORGOT the /
[20:19] <+IdeIdoom> biggest fail

QuadrumpusGuy
New User

Post by QuadrumpusGuy » Fri Aug 17, 2012 8:44 pm

Judas23_ (Needs more Freelook.)
Dwango5 Map07 (Just a Dead Simple clone with less items and Super Shotgun Spam.)
Boo (Horrible Layout. Awful...)
Xfire5 (Just awful - BFG in the center? 6 Medkits in the Exit? Not much cover?)

Ivan
Addicted to Zandronum

Post by Ivan » Fri Aug 17, 2012 8:52 pm

QuadrumpusGuy wrote: Judas23_ (Needs more Freelook.)
Dwango5 Map07 (Just a Dead Simple clone with less items and Super Shotgun Spam.)
Terrible explanations.

Just remove duel16, faerlyn's map, aurora and I don't know about the 4th, probably some udm map or something.

Bring back exposed and some gothic maps :(

QuadrumpusGuy
New User

Post by QuadrumpusGuy » Fri Aug 17, 2012 8:58 pm

Ivan wrote: Terrible explanations.
How so? Are they just too vague?

Disguise

Post by Disguise » Fri Aug 17, 2012 9:10 pm

First two are like... the most popular maps in the pack, I don't really see them removed.

Ivan
Addicted to Zandronum

Post by Ivan » Fri Aug 17, 2012 9:13 pm

QuadrumpusGuy wrote:
Ivan wrote: Terrible explanations.
How so? Are they just too vague?
First two are really popular maps and there is nothing wrong with them whatsoever.

Boo is a weird map, but it isn't bad enough to be removed. It surely needs NS settings for full enjoyment though.

The reason for xfire is, bfg is in center because it's hard to get out of center and center is wide open, you can shoot anyone in there quite easily. Many maps feature lots of medkits in their exit rooms, one familiar example being doom2map1.

Catastrophe

Post by Catastrophe » Fri Aug 17, 2012 9:55 pm

You realize duel32 is OLDSCHOOL right? Why the hell would you remove judas23 just for freelook?

VERY bad choices.

D5M7, really? D5M7 is like one of the best maps in the pack, it's great for ssg practice. You seem to be the type that loves shitty shotgun doom 1 style maps such as Aurora

QuadrumpusGuy
New User

Post by QuadrumpusGuy » Fri Aug 17, 2012 9:59 pm

Just because a map is "popular" doesn't make the map good.

Dwango5 Map07 is just a ripoff of another already-awful map. It's flat, boring, and is basically just Shoot with a few more weapons, less health, and cover.

Judas23_ mainly consists of BFG Spamming and doesn't have much cover to protect from it. It also feels way too tall and not wide enough for no Freelook, let alone Infinite Thing Height... The only saving grace is to wait to spawn to let the opponent waste their cell ammo while spamming, if that is the case. There are also some protrusions and such that are easy to get stuck on.

Boo is extremely linear, like Doom 2 Map01. Getting trapped in the Plasma Gun pit is too easy, as well as the circular area with the staircase, and the teleport isn't very useful, seeing as it is one-way and leads you to a vulnerable spot.

The main area in Xfire5 is just too vulnerable, not just the BFG Pit, and even the hallways are. Also, just because Doom2 Map01 had medkits in the exit doesn't make having 6 in the exit okay. It just indicates bad health distribution, considering ALL of the health is in the exit.

In addition, Judas23_ and Boo have awful spawns. Boo's spawns are towards dead ends and in the middle of large areas or corridors, and Judas23_'s spawn offer little-to-no protection (I.E: Spawning on poles, in windows, etc.)
Last edited by QuadrumpusGuy on Fri Aug 17, 2012 10:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Springy
Forum Regular

Post by Springy » Fri Aug 17, 2012 10:08 pm

Aurora
Shoot
Duel 16 (For some reason I got Boo mixed up with it) don't blame me haven't dueled in ages.
Doom 2 map 01 (I prefer the Dwango version)

These are the one's I'd like to see removed personally.
Last edited by Springy on Sat Aug 18, 2012 2:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
[quote=Zero X Diamond ]Careful, you don't want to push that Pikachu dude to action. Who knows what unspeakable things lie in store for you? Maybe he'll... send you another nasty tweet![/quote]
[quote=Sonter_Man]Autism runs amok on zandaemon[/quote]

QuadrumpusGuy
New User

Post by QuadrumpusGuy » Fri Aug 17, 2012 10:12 pm

Catastrophe wrote: You realize duel32 is OLDSCHOOL right? Why the hell would you remove judas23 just for freelook?

VERY bad choices.
Other way around. More like removing it because it is awful without the aid of freelook, although even freelook doesn't seem to matter. Seeing from the lowest to the highest point of the map or vice versa is extremely hard because of how constricted the map is and makes finding the opponent a pain before they start the BFG spam.
Springy wrote: Doom 2 map 01
Haha, I agree - I would have added it to the list but it was between Judas23_ and that.
Last edited by QuadrumpusGuy on Fri Aug 17, 2012 10:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

NizZY'

Post by NizZY' » Fri Aug 17, 2012 10:55 pm

How dare you put Sipooma on the delete list. I will murder you.
Boo, Judas, and Sipooma are all Godly maps.
Last edited by NizZY' on Fri Aug 17, 2012 10:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Combinebobnt

Post by Combinebobnt » Fri Aug 17, 2012 11:13 pm

Well how dare someone suggest duel16 because it is the most holy of maps made on the very soil where every religious figure ever was born and is thus blessed with thy holy magics and protections and all who dare oppose it shall be smited by thy holy will and magic doom2 duel32 power of oldschool lightning magics that will destroy everybody who does dare have a opinion that is different than thy own. So I do believe the bigger problem there shall be dealt with by the holy power of duel32 oldschool justices no mortal can understand before you even bother trying to argue on removal of any other ancient blessed sacred maps from the old consul of the 32 doom god lords and the great sandy peterson and his blessing upon us mortals with the greatest maps ever known to man and all who think different are wrong as so stated in the doom bible.

QuadrumpusGuy
New User

Post by QuadrumpusGuy » Fri Aug 17, 2012 11:15 pm

Combinebobnt wrote: Well how dare someone suggest duel16 because it is the most holy of maps made on the very soil where every religious figure ever was born and is thus blessed with thy holy magics and protections and all who dare oppose it shall be smited by thy holy will and magic doom2 duel32 power of oldschool lightning magics that will destroy everybody who does dare have a opinion that is different than thy own. So I do believe the bigger problem there shall be dealt with by the holy power of duel32 oldschool justices no mortal can understand before you even bother trying to argue on removal of any other ancient blessed sacred maps from the old consul of the 32 doom god lords and the great sandy peterson and his blessing upon us mortals with the greatest maps ever known to man and all who think different are wrong as so stated in the doom bible.
God's Plan.

I think this pretty much sums up the situation! An Excellent Satire of this solipsism.
Last edited by QuadrumpusGuy on Fri Aug 17, 2012 11:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Catastrophe

Post by Catastrophe » Fri Aug 17, 2012 11:21 pm

QuadrumpusGuy wrote: Other way around. More like removing it because it is awful without the aid of freelook, although even freelook doesn't seem to matter. Seeing from the lowest to the highest point of the map or vice versa is extremely hard because of how constricted the map is and makes finding the opponent a pain before they start the BFG spam.
That only shows your lack of skill, if you want freelook start your own damn servers with freelook enabled.
Last edited by Catastrophe on Fri Aug 17, 2012 11:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.