[WIP] One Pickup Per Player Tribute (OPPP retry)

Maps, modifications, add-ons, projects, and other releases for Zandronum. Also includes announcers.
stradex
Forum Regular
Clan: IoP

[WIP] One Pickup Per Player Tribute (OPPP retry)

Post by stradex » Fri May 05, 2017 1:09 am

Original Idea by scroton

[media]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uryLhOT9jiI[/media]
Well, I tried to restart from zero the OPPP made by scroton so it can be played by more than 2 players without crashing a server, main difference between this version and the original version is the fact that my version rely mostly in ACS than DECORATE and don't duplicate items (avoiding missing packets because a lot of items aren't duplicated for every player in the server)

The bad thing in this version is that the pickup sometimes fails and is not SO fluid like the original items in doom (Maybe you need to walk through an item more than two times to pick it), I'm still working in this so I can fix this in future versions.

There're two different versions of this addon
  • Full OPPP: In this version all the items are OPPP, even the items the monsters drops.
  • Basic OPPP: In this version most of the items are OPPP, but the items the monsters drops arent.

Download Full Version: oppp-tribute-prealpha01-full.pk3
Download Basic Version: oppp-tribute-prealpha01-basic.pk3

Combinebobnt
Retired Staff / Community Team Member

[WIP] Re: One Pickup Per Player Tribute (OPPP retry)

Post by Combinebobnt » Fri May 05, 2017 4:45 am

scrotons crashed rofl. glad i didnt run it yet for sns after all then

fix the bugs u said tahnks good luck

Ivan
Addicted to Zandronum

Post by Ivan » Mon Jun 05, 2017 10:13 am

I guess this was left as is.

I have an implementation idea that could work and is much simpler to use than this. It is as follows:

1. Give all items that should have this behavior a unique TID between a specific range. (Solves the uniqueness problem)
2. Make all of these CustomInventory.
3. Create an array of ints with size MAXPLAYERS. Use this to determine at any point, which item a player is closest to. If pickup failed, reset value to 0 after some delay.
4. On pickup state, if the array above has a 0 for the given player, check for every item which of them we are closest to. Update the array. (Solves part of deciding pickup problem)
5. For each item, keep an array of 2 integers (enough to hold MAXPLAYERS amount of bits), set to 1 if it was picked up. Set state of item accordingly if bit is 1. (Solves the picking up problem)

I think this can work, and it'd cost less space to implement than your solution.
=== RAGNAROK DM ON ... uh... dead forever? ===
=== ALWAYS BET ON ... uh... dead forever? ===
=== Who wanta sum wang? ===
=== Death and Decay - A new Monster/Weapon replacer ===

scroton

Post by scroton » Sat Sep 02, 2017 12:45 am

Combinebobnt wrote:scrotons crashed rofl. glad i didnt run it yet for sns after all then
I don't know under which circumstances it crashed, but during both testing on BE and other peeps running servers on their own pcs we never had a crash after release version. There were reports that it was a bit of a bandwidth hog though.
stradex wrote: The bad thing in this version is that the pickup sometimes fails and is not SO fluid like the original items in doom (Maybe you need to walk through an item more than two times to pick it), I'm still working in this so I can fix this in future versions.
I'm on mobile so I haven't looked at the code yet, but is the pickup script checking all players, not just closest, and is it taking player speed into account so when players are going fast enough to be on either side of a pickup and only in range between tics they still pick it up?

Ivan
Addicted to Zandronum

Post by Ivan » Sat Sep 02, 2017 9:18 am

Just a heads up, I've been using the solution I proposed here in DnD with good results. There have been no noticable bandwidth usage as well. The only deal is that there's a very small chance you'll fail to pick up the item if you're running too fast (like with some speed boost item) and it's only used for the following items: Stimpack, Medikit, Green Armor, Blue Armor. (I think these were all, I can't check right now) However I made the system easily extendable and as such adding new items is very trivial.

nax
Lead Administrator

Post by nax » Mon Sep 04, 2017 2:47 pm

Are you gonna release it as a standalone, Ivan? I noticed it in the latest DnD and thought it was a great addition.

Ivan
Addicted to Zandronum

Post by Ivan » Mon Sep 04, 2017 6:12 pm

nax wrote:Are you gonna release it as a standalone, Ivan? I noticed it in the latest DnD and thought it was a great addition.
It can be used as a standalone, it's very easy to do so. Only little modification needed. I'll release source of these as soon as I release next version of DnD.