Today is the 2nd year anniversary of the final version of ArmedRecruit.
Now here comes Armed Veteran. Gameplay:
Armed Veteran is a revised version of ArmedRecruit where all of my modern tastes come in to play.
Reloading, no thanks.
Non-automatic weapons, just no.
Difficulty, if I'm not stressed out, I'm not satisfied.
After having a break from ArmedRecruit and revisiting it, I felt it was way too easy. Absolutely no challenge at all in the slightest. I could blast through any level with my huge amount of health and armor. All the weapons felt really over powered and I'm not really a fan of reloading in my Doom too be honest. For Armed Veteran I made a map to tell me the amount of damage per second dealt to help me rebalance all of the weapons. The Assault Rifle and the Shotgun's DPS is very now very similar to the SSG from Doom 2, and the pistols are similar to the DPS of the Shotgun from Doom.
What is Armed Veteran?
Armed Veteran is a class based weapons mod with enormous attention to balance. There are 3 classes and they are the Assault Rifle Marine, The Shotgun Marine and the Rifle Marine.
- Assault Rifle Marine's weapons:
- Pistol. It is very accurate and deals very decent damage.
- Assault Rifle. It requires an eye on your ammo count, as long as you fire in bursts at long to medium range you'll get the most out of each bullet.
- Minigun (Special weapon). It clears rooms in seconds.
Shotgun Marine's weapons:
- Automatic pistol. It is a bit less accurate than the regular Pistol but it fires faster.
- Shotgun. It should definitely give you your fix of shotty action, this is Doom after all.
- Flamethrower (Special weapon). It has more ammo than the minigun but has a limited range.
Rifle Marine's weapons:
- SMG. This is the Rifle Marine's crowd control weapon. Ammo is almost always avaliable for it too.
- Rifle. Drop those chaingunners from across the map with eaze. The bullet will always go where you tell it to.
- Rocketlauncher (Special weapon). Self explanatory.
Weapons for all classes:
- Fist. Unchanged.
- Knife. Always will one hit kill an imp and also has an impressive range to it. Fantastic for saving ammo.
- Grenade. These are for clearing rooms and saves you from using all of your bullets on a group or a boss.
Archviles drop Tome of Powers which temporarily buffs your weapons.
Zombiemen are replaced by zombie variations of the classes to drop appropriate ammo.
Nightmare Imps, Nightmare Demons and Nightmare Cacodemons have a 1/100 chance of spawning in place of their normal selves. They are faster, have more health and a lot more firepower than the normal monsters.
I also switched things up with the difficulty by implementing my difficulty mod. Short version of it, HMP = UV and UV = UVFAST.
Spoiler: Full changelog from ArmedRecruit (Open)Credits:-Movement speed is brought back to normal. Holding a grenade and firing the minigun no longer slow down your movement.
-Halved grenade max ammo count to 6, and you only spawn in with 1 rather than 3.
-Changed up armor to give you 100 and put megaarmor back in. I also put back in the MegaSphere.
-Health items that are in your inventory no longer get auto-used.
-Changed max stimpacks from 15 to 5
-Stimpacks no longer spawn in place of medikits, and berserk is back to normal.
-You now do not spawn with a knife, the knife replaces the chainsaw. Done a damage and range buff and no longer thrusts you.
-Items no longer flash like they used to in ArmedRecruit.
-You no longer spawn in with armor.
-Nightmare enemies no longer drop Soulspheres.
-Nightmare Cacodemons now beltch Nightmare Imp fireballs as well as their green fire so they are threatening at long range.
-Doomsphere now gives you a red haze instead of using a redmap.
-Changed difficultys so that ITYTD=HNTR, HNTR=HMP, HMP=UV, UV=UVFAST, NM=NM(With Cheats)
-Rifle is now always perfectly accurate, rather than only when you stand still.
-Nightmare enemies are now properly optimised with fast monsters enabled.
-Made all weapons automatic.
-Gave more HP to HK, Baron, Caco and Archvile.
-Removed Club Doom (PS1 DOOM OST). I still love that track but it's for the sake of optimisation.
-Made the chaingunner act normal and will always drop a pistol ammo box.
-Renamed Machinegun to more accurately Assaultrifle.
-Removed all weapon reloading
-Nerfed weapons and Tome Of Powered up weapons. So pistols don't turn into railguns anymore because that was stupidly over powered.
-Icon of Sin now has 3000hp rather than 750hp.
-Created and added 3D Model for grenade and automap pick up.
-Added Swift_'s models for backpack, health bonus and light amp.
-Gave Special Weapon's backpack a glowing light and particles to help differentiate from the standard backpack.
-Gave Assault Rifle even more spread when not burst firing.
- Peter Lawrence for creating ArmedRecruit and Armed Veteran.
Testers for Armed Veteran:
- Peter Lawrence
Testers for ArmedRecruit:
- Peter Lawrence
- Swedish Dude
- Peter Lawrence (Made Grenade and Automap 3D model, Edited the pickups, Textures for models, HUD, Nightmare imp, Nightmare Cacodemon)
- Swift_ (Models)
- Mechadon (Font)
- DaMan (Smooth weapons: Shotgun, RocketLauncher and PlasmaRifle)
- Helton (Smooth rifle)
- Id Software (Machinegun, Shotgun, Rifle and EVERYTHING ELSE!)
- 3D Realms (SMG)
- Eriance (Pistol, Handgrenade)
- Scuba Steve (Knife)
- Minigunner (Smooth Rocket Explosion)
- Captain Toenail
- Anthony Cole
- Mark Quinn
- Peter Lawrence
- Dusk (HUD)
- Cutmanmike (Grenade code)
- Tormentor667 (Effects for the Spheres)
Armed-Veteran.pk3 for GZDoom and ZDoom
Armed-Veteran-MP.pk3 for Zandronum
The Zandronum version supports many game modes, including:
- Deathmatch/Team Deathmatch
- LMS/Team LMS
- Capture the Flag/One Flag CTF
- Possession/Team Possession