[WIP] Holy Places Defense - Invasion

Maps, modifications, add-ons, projects, and other releases for Zandronum. Also includes announcers.
madcat
Forum Regular
Clan Tag: [Sun]

[WIP] Holy Places Defense - Invasion

Post by madcat » Fri Aug 26, 2016 4:43 pm

Holy Places Defense is an Invasion project where player classes are representatives of various religions, fighting hand-in-hand against hordes of demons.
Each player class has at least one melee and at least one ranged weapon...and a "prayer" ability that makes him stop moving for a while and replenishes the health. Maps look like holy places of various religions (synagogue, church, mosque , pagoda etc.), and in front of these buildings, there is an object (a green barrel for now) that must not get destroyed, or the game is over. The monsters keep switching their targets between the players and the object.

This is my first attempt for an invasion project and Im only one person so Im asking for people that could help me with this project. I would appreciate the following:

Maps
Textures
Weapon/projectile effects (sprites)
Ideas

So far there are only 3 maps that do not use any custom textures, which makes them very dull, especially the map03.
map01 - Random Cathedral Cloister
Map02 - Hassan Tower (Minaret in Morocco)
Map03 - Central Synagogue of Kazakhstan
(But I would like to add some more)

So far the player classes are:

Christian Longbowman (or Crusader):
- Best Armor but lowest speed
Longbow
Longsword
Dagger

Muslim Arabian Swordsman:
- Medium Armor, Medium Speed
Short Bow
Scimitar/Shield

Buddhist Shaolin Monk:
- No armor, highest speed
Chakram (throwing weapon)
Staff - can perform 4 different combos with the staff by pressing the altfire right immedieately after fire and vice versa:
FIRE-ALTFIRE-FIRE , FIRE-ALTFIRE-ALTFIRE , ALTFIRE-FIRE-FIRE , ALTFIRE-FIRE-ALTFIRE

In the future I plan to make these:

Jew Hebrew Spearman:
- low armor, high speed
Spear/shield
Javelin

Utraquist Hussite Flailer:

- low armor, high speed
Pole Flail
Windlass Crossbow

All of these player classes change their visual appearance (use the chasecam to see it) based on what weapon is the player wielding and what is he/she doing with the weapon.

Here is the project so far : https://www.dropbox.com/s/891r1o7piv326 ... 5.wad?dl=0

I will post sone screenshots soon

PS: This project is NOT supposed to be offending anyone by its religious theme - I want the religious warriors to co-operate, not to fight each other.

Last edited by madcat on Mon Sep 12, 2016 6:16 pm, edited 7 times in total.

Blast98
Forum Regular

Re: [WIP] Holy Places Defense - Invasion

Post by Blast98 » Mon Aug 29, 2016 12:47 am

WOW! This looks interesting. An Invasion level pack involving religion. Will there be a Hindu map in this and is this going to be made using the UDMF format? Will there also be maps involving Jerusalem, Medina, and Mecca? Now perhaps, about the music, you can use soundtracks from Heretic and Hexen because the music from those games would fit the theme of this level pack and if the Mecca map gets made, you can have that map use E3M2 music from Heretic because when I listen to that music, I a lot of the times think of Mecca.

Ænima
Addicted to Zandronum

Post by Ænima » Mon Aug 29, 2016 12:53 pm

I think I have some Shiva statue 3d models somewhere if you decide to do Hinduism.
­ ­ ­ ­ ­ ­ ­ ­ ­ ­ ­ ­ ­ ­ ­ ­ ­
Doom64: Unabsolved: New weapons, monsters, and gameplay features for coop !

ZandroSkins
: a pack made by our community

Ivan
Addicted to Zandronum

Post by Ivan » Mon Aug 29, 2016 1:37 pm

This is the perfect LMS mod to determine the master race religion.
=== RAGNAROK DM ON ... uh... dead forever? ===
=== ALWAYS BET ON ... uh... dead forever? ===
=== Who wanta sum wang? ===
=== Death and Decay - A new Monster/Weapon replacer ===

madcat
Forum Regular

Post by madcat » Mon Aug 29, 2016 1:57 pm

Ivan wrote:This is the perfect LMS mod to determine the master race religion.
Thats the polar opposite of what is this project supposed to mean. I do NOT want the religions to fight each other or to determine who is the number one.
This project is an invasion, not LMS or DM. I know I can't possibly forbid it, but hereby I please/ask anyone who would use these player classes or even sprites for anything that would face religions to fight each other: "Don't do it."

Mobius
Banned
Location: The center of the A3's controversial and machiavellian conspiracy
Clan: Cube
Clan Tag: Aᵌ
Banned: Permanently

Post by Mobius » Mon Aug 29, 2016 3:03 pm

Ivan wrote:This is the perfect LMS mod to determine the master race religion.
dewsome: i can do this all day
dewsome: do you think you're somehow special? i spent years arguing with nostar, jenova, mobius
<+Thomas13> Mobius u r inferior, go outside and get beaten up
Alfonzo ~ "I wonder who will hear him trash talk when the dirt closes over him?"

Sean
IRC Operator

Post by Sean » Mon Aug 29, 2016 10:04 pm

i find this incredibly offensive as there is no class for the irreligious pls fix or ill sue
<capodecima> i dont say any more word without my loyer jenova

Blast98
Forum Regular

Post by Blast98 » Tue Aug 30, 2016 12:46 am

Now I saw what was made so far for this Invasion pack. I hope you get all the maps made in the UDMF format. Now I would sure love to see a title map for this and the original title music can be replaced by a soundtrack from Kingdom Hearts (have the custom music be using the name "D_DM2TTL" in order to replace the original title theme) and there are other custom music to use such you can go to the Mod Archive website and find genres such as Gothic, Religious, or Spiritual. Now perhaps you will sure need to use 3D floors for this Invasion pack which I recommend that.

madcat
Forum Regular

Post by madcat » Sat Sep 03, 2016 9:08 am

The Hebrew Spearman is almost finished. He uses a very special feature that makes his javelin fly further and deal more damage if the player is running fast enough while throwing it (took over 600 DECORATE strings to make sure this would be caused only by running forward).
Now I will be adding some "stun" factors (so that if a monster gets hit with a certain weapon or certain attack of the monk's staff, it will prolong its pain state).
Also, the more a monster is hurt, the longer the pain state it suffers.
As for your notes about maps and the UDMF format...Im busy with the DECORATE and the SPRITES so this has to wait for someone else to do it.

Empyre
Zandrone

Post by Empyre » Sat Sep 03, 2016 5:18 pm

madcat wrote:The Hebrew Spearman is almost finished. He uses a very special feature that makes his javelin fly further and deal more damage if the player is running fast enough while throwing it (took over 600 DECORATE strings to make sure this would be caused only by running forward).
I have no experience with ACS, but I wonder if you could use ACS to help reduce the number of lines of code for that.
"For the world is hollow, and I have touched the sky."

fr blood
Frequent Poster Miles card holder

Post by fr blood » Sat Sep 03, 2016 9:17 pm

That depends on which situation, but yeah ACS/Decorate can really help each other for an awesome result.

madcat
Forum Regular

Post by madcat » Mon Sep 12, 2016 6:10 pm

A new version has been finished - https://www.dropbox.com/s/891r1o7piv326 ... 5.wad?dl=0

Here, all the planned player classes are finished (but Im not saying I wont add some more in the future).

Now I will attend to the "if a player keeps getting hurt, he is so stunned he can't use any heavy weapons properly" feature.

madcat
Forum Regular

Post by madcat » Mon Sep 26, 2016 4:56 am

Im moving back to my RPG project (but that does not mean I wont work on this anymore)

madcat
Forum Regular

Post by madcat » Tue May 09, 2017 4:17 pm

Im back working on this project. A new map has been done, Stamina/Stun system added. Soon I will release a new version.

Blast98
Forum Regular

Post by Blast98 » Wed May 10, 2017 1:12 am

madcat wrote:Im back working on this project. A new map has been done, Stamina/Stun system added. Soon I will release a new version.
That's nice to hear. Did you putted in some religious custom textures into this project? Also, can the final boss of this project be Satan?