Journey Into Fear

Maps, modifications, add-ons, projects, and other releases for Zandronum. Also includes announcers.
madcat
Forum Regular
Clan Tag: [Sun]

Journey Into Fear

Post by madcat » Tue Sep 29, 2015 7:43 am

Journey Into Fear is a RPG, DiabloII-like project that I have been working on from 2012 to 2020. It combines several special features:
Player Classes
Diablo II Skills
Quests, NPCs
Experience system
Map randomization
Diablo Armor and Weapons

The last version ( June 2020 ) can be found here - https://www.dropbox.com/s/bv9ynvzltmpiy ... .wad?raw=1

phpBB [media]
Last edited by madcat on Mon Jul 12, 2021 5:15 pm, edited 5 times in total.

Fonze
New User

RE: Journey Into Fear

Post by Fonze » Sun Oct 04, 2015 6:14 am

This looks awesome! Keep it up; I'd love to see this finished!

haxmurderer

Post by haxmurderer » Sat Oct 10, 2015 10:35 pm

This looks pretty sweet and deserves more attention! Can't wait to try it out tomorrow. :)

Samuzero15tlh
Forum Regular
Clan Tag: <skr>

Post by Samuzero15tlh » Tue Oct 20, 2015 2:34 am

We can help you in any time!
Everyone wants happiness without pain, but you cant have a rainbow without a rain.

I'm working in the Shotgun Frenzy Plus mod in my free time.
Yes, I have a pet that helps me to build doom projects, the Pack-O-Daemon, ain't it cute?.

Spoiler: My Other zandro stuff! (Open)

Samuzero15tlh

madcat
Forum Regular

Post by madcat » Fri Oct 23, 2015 1:08 pm

Samuzero15tlh wrote: We can help you in any time!
...I don't need any help, at least not for now. It is true that there is a LOT to do, so much that it is likely that sometime in the future I will ask for a help. But for now, I can manage myself.

Im working on a new map atm. When its finished, I will focus on rebalancing monsters.

Maps are the most troublesome part, since Im only one person and I still have like 10 maps to do. So when I ask for a help, it will most likely be about maps. Almost all the maps in this project follow some strict rules, which can slow the mapper down a bit, so Im not sure when will I finish a new version.

madcat
Forum Regular

Post by madcat » Sat Oct 31, 2015 4:27 pm

A new map has been finished. But since my mapping skills are not perfect and Im slow...well to put it bluntly, if anyone would like to map for this project, send me a Private Message.
Last edited by madcat on Sat Oct 31, 2015 4:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Jigsaw
Forum Regular

Post by Jigsaw » Tue Nov 03, 2015 8:39 am

This is gonna be awesome.

madcat
Forum Regular

Post by madcat » Sun Nov 08, 2015 8:44 pm

I've made some monster modifications and another map is almost finished. When I make two more maps (which will most likely take a LOT of time, since I dont have any plan for one of them yet), I will upload the new version. If everything goes well, you can expect:
Normal maps 1-4 finished
Optional maps 1-4 finished
One more NPC being able to talk
Some new quest(s)

Still far from the planned full version, which will (hopefully) have:
11 Normal maps
9 Optional maps
8 Quests
7 NPCs

And as I said before, if anyone would like to help me with mapping, send me a Private Message and I will explain all the details about the maps I need.

madcat
Forum Regular

Post by madcat » Tue Nov 17, 2015 3:08 pm

I've made some progress. Two new maps finished and one old one improved. Several new monsters added and some old ones improved.

Now I will focus on the last map I need to have to release a new version.
Then, there will be no empty space between the map01 and map07. And since there is a miniboss in the map07, I could call it a demo version then.
In the meantime, here are some spoilers:

madcat
Forum Regular

Post by madcat » Mon Nov 30, 2015 7:42 pm

My PC was being repaired for some time and it will take long before I make the map05, so here is what I've got so far - https://www.dropbox.com/s/96wbbza4y1r5m ... 5.wad?dl=0

madcat
Forum Regular

Post by madcat » Thu Feb 11, 2016 11:47 am

After a very long break, Im back mapping for this project. Since I find it impossible to find any ideas for the map05, I have started making map11 instead. It is going to be a very large map, consisting mostly of remakes of some Heretic/Hexen/Doom1/Doom2 maps, with the idea of player having to finish all of them in order to unlock the final door (something like the Shadow Wood Hub from Hexen). Unlike my failed effort for the map05, here I know exactly what to do, so Im like 75% sure I will manage to make this map. Also, if anyone has played this project-so-far, please give some feedback if you have anything to criticize (besides the unfinished/broken NPCs, which Im going to finish later)

Samuzero15tlh
Forum Regular
Clan Tag: <skr>

Post by Samuzero15tlh » Thu Feb 11, 2016 8:20 pm

kristina wrote: Are you sure your not breaking Diablo credits for this? I mean this game is still active and people play it.
I dont think so...
Everyone wants happiness without pain, but you cant have a rainbow without a rain.

I'm working in the Shotgun Frenzy Plus mod in my free time.
Yes, I have a pet that helps me to build doom projects, the Pack-O-Daemon, ain't it cute?.

Spoiler: My Other zandro stuff! (Open)

Samuzero15tlh

brunoxi
New User

Post by brunoxi » Fri Feb 12, 2016 9:48 pm

Sorry guys for taking position of devil's advocate but when you are using resources that are private property should you not try to contact the owner of the stuff and have the situation clear? I mean just for the sake of being sure there is no problem and shit like this does not happen?

Ænima
Addicted to Zandronum

Post by Ænima » Fri Feb 12, 2016 10:03 pm

brunoxi wrote: Sorry guys for taking position of devil's advocate but when you are using resources that are private property should you not try to contact the owner of the stuff and have the situation clear? I mean just for the sake of being sure there is no problem and shit like this does not happen?
1. Fair use. Blizzard is not losing sales from this. It's just a Doom mod.

2. They'd probably say yes anyways if you told them it's just a Doom mod, if they ever do contact you back.
brunoxi wrote: I mean just for the sake of being sure there is no problem and shit like this does not happen?
Shit like what? Nothing happened. A troll came in and took a big shit on this thread. And we're still feeding them by continuing to discuss copyright.
­ ­ ­ ­ ­ ­ ­ ­ ­ ­ ­ ­ ­ ­ ­ ­ ­
Doom64: Unabsolved: New weapons, monsters, and gameplay features for coop !

ZandroSkins
: a pack made by our community

fr blood
Frequent Poster Miles card holder

Post by fr blood » Fri Feb 12, 2016 10:42 pm

That's mode is awesome, this is kinda funny all the way you use to make your own dialogues when you could press use on the actors :P

Catastrophe
Retired Staff / Community Team Member

Post by Catastrophe » Sat Feb 13, 2016 12:14 am

Don't listen to that troll OP. Continue your work, you are not profiting off of this mod so it is fair game.

madcat
Forum Regular

Post by madcat » Tue Feb 16, 2016 10:28 am

The map Im working on atm is doing really good - I have no idea when is it going to be finished, so here are some screenshots of the map-so-far:

Last edited by madcat on Tue Feb 16, 2016 10:28 am, edited 1 time in total.

madcat
Forum Regular

Post by madcat » Sat Feb 20, 2016 10:17 am

The map has been finished - https://www.dropbox.com/s/dz1f6s1euv95j ... 2.wad?dl=0
I have added some doom2 monsters and ammo so its playable as a standard map now.
So now, in matter of maps, this project is 50% finished now (although I may re-edit some previous maps, such as the map01 or map03 (they both are rather...dull)
Last edited by madcat on Sat Feb 20, 2016 10:19 am, edited 1 time in total.

Agentbromsnor

Post by Agentbromsnor » Sat Feb 20, 2016 4:35 pm

When I read the title, I was expecting something horror-themed! :o

It looks pretty nice though, except for the ComicSans in the second screenshot. ComicSans is a design faux pas.

madcat
Forum Regular

Post by madcat » Sat Feb 20, 2016 5:28 pm

Agentbromsnor wrote: When I read the title, I was expecting something horror-themed! :o

It looks pretty nice though, except for the ComicSans in the second screenshot. ComicSans is a design faux pas.
It is the upcoming story of this project that is going to be a horror - not the horror for the player, but for the character he is playing as, because
the more he ventures into the enemy's lair, the more afraid he/she gets, wondering whether isn't this Journey pointless.

Also, I have started working on a new map.
Last edited by madcat on Sun Feb 21, 2016 8:15 am, edited 1 time in total.