Complex Doom Invasion - v0.99.8a

General discussion of the port and Doom-related chat.
Forty-Two
New User

RE: Complex Doom Invasion

Post by Forty-Two » Mon Nov 23, 2015 11:17 am

Just a brief update on my second map - I've finished the layout, and I'm just starting to add items now so it shouldn't be too long!

(In case anyone doesn't know, this is stewboy who did CDM03, I don't know if there's a way to change my name on this forum)
Last edited by Forty-Two on Mon Nov 23, 2015 11:20 am, edited 1 time in total.

fr blood
Frequent Poster Miles card holder

Post by fr blood » Mon Nov 23, 2015 12:11 pm

Forty-Two wrote: Just a brief update on my second map - I've finished the layout, and I'm just starting to add items now so it shouldn't be too long!

(In case anyone doesn't know, this is stewboy who did CDM03, I don't know if there's a way to change my name on this forum)
Oh you should have tell this before, I'm glad to hear that your map will be done soon, I will wait for it before making the update.

Also as I'm working on the Hard Mode, you will have to add additionnal monster with a certain ID that will spawn only if it's activated send me a pm if you are interested about it or I'll deal with it myself when your map will be done.

Lycaon

Post by Lycaon » Tue Nov 24, 2015 1:37 am

Absolutely wonderful, I've been playing this mod last weeks and it's such a breath of fresh air. There is one critic though that I feel is as important as simple: the death animations of the bosses are cut by the map intermission. Even if you can see a short animation, the map is skipped so abruptly that it kinda ruins the feeling of reward after going through all this trouble. I'm not sure why you decided to make maps skip so fast, but it's really annoying when you don't get to see that big bad motherfucker die and even take a few seconds to see its crumbled body.

Skeleton

Post by Skeleton » Tue Nov 24, 2015 2:05 am

thumbnail why azazel :c

thumbnail
[spoiler]DOOTDOOTDOOTDOOT[/spoiler]

fr blood

Post by fr blood » Wed Nov 25, 2015 3:32 pm

Lycaon wrote: Absolutely wonderful, I've been playing this mod last weeks and it's such a breath of fresh air. There is one critic though that I feel is as important as simple: the death animations of the bosses are cut by the map intermission. Even if you can see a short animation, the map is skipped so abruptly that it kinda ruins the feeling of reward after going through all this trouble. I'm not sure why you decided to make maps skip so fast, but it's really annoying when you don't get to see that big bad motherfucker die and even take a few seconds to see its crumbled body.
Thanks for you feedback, I'm sorry about that but I'm not behind that this come from the basic settings of the Invasion, the only way for me to fix that would be to add an hidden monster that will die after the boss's animation is finish so players can savour their victory, I'm going to think seriously about that because I'm agree with your opinion.
Skeleton wrote: thumbnail why azazel :c

thumbnail
I'm sorry about that bug I've fixed it already in the next version.
To be honest the Azazel isn't supposed to be the final boss of this map he will surely feet better on a bigger map, I will do a new boss for this map when I'll have the time.

Lycaon

Post by Lycaon » Thu Nov 26, 2015 2:07 pm

Do you think this mod could eventually expand to have 30 maps? I would be interested in making one as soon as I make more progress with a project of mine (which will also give me more experience to be on par with your work so far)

fr blood

Post by fr blood » Thu Nov 26, 2015 9:58 pm

Lycaon wrote: Do you think this mod could eventually expand to have 30 maps? I would be interested in making one as soon as I make more progress with a project of mine (which will also give me more experience to be on par with your work so far)
My goal is to reach the 12 maps + 1 wtf map + 1 boss map.
After that if people wants to add their own map, they are free to post them here and I'll be there to check and add them.

fr blood

Post by fr blood » Fri Nov 27, 2015 8:50 am

Thank you Forty-Two for this awesome map, the gameplay is fine and the design too, I didn't have to add more monsters or weapons because it was nicely balanced, I just added some suits so player can have more options to fight the monsters.

The bugs that I found weren't very important, you just forgot to fix the flats in the waiting room and make the cameras able to change their angles.

I will use the Azazel as final boss for this map and move the Legendary Sentient to the previous wave as final strike.

I've also found a nice song to fits with this map.
Last edited by fr blood on Fri Nov 27, 2015 8:51 am, edited 1 time in total.

Sepia-Paper
Forum Regular

Post by Sepia-Paper » Fri Nov 27, 2015 12:44 pm

The Legendary Sentient is EXTREMELY over powered, got killed upto 62 times trying to kill it. X_X

axel37

Post by axel37 » Fri Nov 27, 2015 9:49 pm

Hello !

Okay, I'll (try to) make it short.

I really like complexDoom.
I am a bit new to mapping.

I want to make a complex doom invasion map.

I didn't found any tutorials/guide/etc... telling how to do this.

Could you explain me, give me a link, answer to my questions.... ???

It would be REEAALLYY Nice.

Axel

I hope I am not in the wrong place to post this. I really didn't find anything on internet.

:neutral:

EDIT : I have A LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOT of questions.
Last edited by axel37 on Sat Nov 28, 2015 4:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Lycaon

Post by Lycaon » Sat Nov 28, 2015 4:17 am

I have a bug to report. It seems that the prosperity rune and high jump replace one another. I've checked this plenty of times on map 10, everytime the bonus crate gave me prosperity rune my high jump dissapeared, and then when I went to retrieve the High Jump again prosperity rune was gone. It might be an overlapped actor number or something like that.

Sepia-Paper
Forum Regular

Post by Sepia-Paper » Sat Nov 28, 2015 4:31 am

Lycaon wrote: I have a bug to report. It seems that the prosperity rune and high jump replace one another. I've checked this plenty of times on map 10, everytime the bonus crate gave me prosperity rune my high jump dissapeared, and then when I went to retrieve the High Jump again prosperity rune was gone. It might be an overlapped actor number or something like that.
Aren't runes supposed to do that normally?,

when you have a rune and take a new one either by picking it up or getting it from Bonus/Open deck, it replaces your previous Rune. Only the legendary Rune seems to give the player Rage, Strength and Resistance at the sametime.

oh by the way it seem frblood has removed all the pickable runes from the maps except for Jump rune in map 10, you can only get Runes from Prize Boxes :toot:

Lycaon

Post by Lycaon » Sat Nov 28, 2015 8:33 am

But high jump is not a rune

fr blood

Post by fr blood » Sat Nov 28, 2015 9:19 am

And that High Jump was supposed to be removed too but it stayed somehow thanks to GZDoomBuilder.

Sepia-Paper
Forum Regular

Post by Sepia-Paper » Sat Nov 28, 2015 12:39 pm

Lycaon wrote: But high jump is not a rune
High Jump is a Rune from Skulltag that allowed players to reach places where BFGs and Doomsphere were found.

Lycaon

Post by Lycaon » Sun Nov 29, 2015 4:42 am

I'm gonna go ahead and say what many people is thinking (and saying in the servers)... The new map doesn't cut it. It's boring to play since all places look alike and monsters spawn very far away from each other, hence becoming more of a monster hunt. It has nearly no detail apart from the caves (which are a little too mazy). It's just frustrating to see nothing but rock everywhere, most of the shapes and lines are lost amidst the eternally repeated textures. The boss is incredibly overpowered in that terrain, it really doesn't need to be teleporting all the time, it already has a lot of hp points to begin with, it's frustrating. We ended up camping and shooting from corners, which kinda ruins the flow of the game. In general, bosses don't need to be so overdone, but well, that's my opinion. And the legendary sentient is kind of innecesary (I got really tired of fighting that boss, it just isn't fun anymore since it always takes so long to beat it and you can't fight it by evading it's projectiles, so you just end up camping as well)

Sorry if I was rude to the mapper but I really don't think this map is on pair with any of the other maps.
Last edited by Lycaon on Sun Nov 29, 2015 4:43 am, edited 1 time in total.

fr blood

Post by fr blood » Sun Nov 29, 2015 8:02 am

On a mappack there will always be maps that some people like and other not. I can at least deal with the bosses, but IMO the design and the gameplay were fine. If you guys have something to say to make the map better see it with Forty-Two.

And were you playing it on the normal or hard server, because this would explain a lot of things.
Last edited by fr blood on Sun Nov 29, 2015 8:04 am, edited 1 time in total.

Lycaon

Post by Lycaon » Sun Nov 29, 2015 8:34 am

Normal mode. But really, there's an abismal gap in terms of mapping detail. Even The Playground has more detail. This one just hurts my eyes from such overuse of rock textures. I get the whole "use the terrain to your advantage" thing and it's a really good idea, but I don't think it's well excecuted at all.

Edit: Look, maybe it's the dissapointment of it being the new map I was waiting for, since I was getting tired of playing the other ones all the time... and this one turned up to be so mediocre it almost felt like you put it there to fill a blank.

Edit2: man do I sound like an asshole right now, but really, I do think this map has potential, it just doesn't look like it's finished.
Last edited by Lycaon on Sun Nov 29, 2015 8:38 am, edited 1 time in total.

fr blood

Post by fr blood » Sun Nov 29, 2015 9:03 am

You have the right to be dissapointed, this is you opinion after all.

He maybe did an error with the abuse of the same textures, a solution would be to change them in other sectors, I remember doing the same mistake on Zombie Horde with ZE26, the whole casttle was with green marble and I made it with other textures as I could, and of course it was more pretty.

But again here you should pm Forty-Two, with my studies I can't deal with all the maps alone, if you think that this map is really bad what about asking him to edit it by yourself to see if you can do something better ?

axel37

Post by axel37 » Sun Nov 29, 2015 10:47 am

Hi again. I don't want to look like a spammer, but I think you didn't see my last post.

I really like complexDoom.
I am a bit new to mapping.

I want to make a complex doom invasion map.

I didn't found any tutorials/guide/etc... telling how to do this.

Could you explain me, answer to my questions.... ???

It would be REEAALLYY Nice.

Axel

I hope I am not in the wrong place to post this. I really didn't find anything on internet.

Neutral

EDIT : I have A LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOT of questions.

So, I'll explain a bit more what is my problem.

So, I want to make a Cdoom Invasion map (and maybe publish it, but, that's not my problem for the moment).

So, here what I did at this point.
I loaded the pk3s and wad as explained in the main post.
I began to create a map.
I find out some basics things like how to put a monster spawn or weapon point BUT theres still things that I don't understand about those spawn things.

I didn't find any wiki or guide etc... explaining the SIMPLIEST thing. For the moment I find by myself.
But now, I'm stuck. There is Important things that I want to do but I don't know how.

I really need help, I already spent a few hours on my map. I really want it to be finished someday.

Oh, and, does it need scripting ? I'm pretty sure the answer is yes. I never did scripting before but, I can learn. I just need some resources.

P.S.: I'm french so... My english Is a bit shitty sometimes. I used a lot the word 'thing' for example. Sorry :)