SNES Music in doom (v3)

Maps, modifications, add-ons, projects, and other releases for Zandronum. Also includes announcers.
doomjoshuaboy
Developer

SNES Music in doom (v3)

Post by doomjoshuaboy » Sat Jan 24, 2015 2:49 am

hi zandronum forums

I made a new and better acs thanks to TerminusEst13 for extra help.

Did you know how TerminusEst13 made a ACS doing Music randomizer?
Well some people hate using midi, there an extra thing that could replace midi and it works well when using GZ/ZDoom and Zandronum.
I find music info from a media player like Winamp or Foobar2000 and copied every music from every game I have recieved from SNES Music WebsiteIf you have a good SNES game that you like me to put into this. Just pm me and I'll grab a music pack from the snes music web.
Spoiler: There are 59 games and they are 1389 of them like 64KB to 66KB per music (Open)
SNES games: (in alphabetical order)
The Addams Family: Pugsley's Scavenger Hunt(afa2)
Chrono Trigger (ct)
Dragon Ball Z (Series) (dbhd, dbzb, dbzb2 & dbzb3)
Donkey Kong Country (Series) (dkc, dkdt & dkq)
Doom (doom)
Dracula X (dx)
Earthworm Jim (Series) (ewj & ewj2)
Final Fantasy (Series) (ff4, ff6 & ffmq)
F-Zero (fz)
Goof Troop (gt)
Jojo no Kimyou na Bouken (jojo)
Kirby (Series) (ka, kdc, kdl3 & kss)
Killer Instinct (ki)
Kunio Tachi no Bannka (ktd)
Lethal Enforcers (len)
The Lion King (lion)
Lupin the 3rd (lupin)
Mickey Mania: The Timeless Adventures of Mickey Mouse (mm)
Megaman & Megaman X (Series) (mm7, mmx, mmx2 & mmx3)
Newman-Haas Indy Car Racing (nhic)
Nigel Mansell's World Championship Racing (nigel)
Super Castlevania 4 (scv4)
Secret of Mana (sd2)
Super Star Wars: The Empire Strikes Back (sesb)
Sim City (sc)
Star Fox (Series) (sf & sfx2)
Street Fighter (Series) (sf2, ssf2u & sfa2)
Super Mario All-Stars (Super Mario Bros Series) (smas)
Super Mario Kart (smk)
Super Mario RPG (smr)
Super Mario World (smw)
Super Star Wars (ssw)
Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Tournament Fighters (tmnt5)
Tetris & Dr. Mario (tdm)
Tetris 2 (tet2)
Toy Story (tst)
Vegas Stakes (vegas)
WWF Series (Raw, Royal Rumble, Super Wrestlemania and Wrestlemania: The Arcade Game) (wwfr, wwfrr, wwfsw & wwfa)
Super Mario World 2: Yoshi's Island (yi)
Spoiler: Screenies from how it looks like (Open)
this is likely from "now thats what i call midi"
fullscreen
these are taken from ZDoom but don't worry its still works with Zandronum
DL link (7MB [Thanks to aiur850 for his good idea] change log in the mod)
Last edited by doomjoshuaboy on Sat Jul 08, 2017 9:45 am, edited 5 times in total.

Aiur850
New User

RE: SNES Music in doom (v1)

Post by Aiur850 » Mon Jan 26, 2015 3:27 am

SPC files compress a lot better if you use LZMA compression. I have a wad file I put a bunch of SPC music in some years back that had over 1200 spc files in it. When compressed with lzma at 64KB/file It came out to be about 3-4 Megs. It plays just fine compressed like this back in Skulltag days on servers I hosted.

Slim
Zandrone
Clan: Can't fit it in here
Clan Tag: -=FSR=-

Post by Slim » Mon Jan 26, 2015 5:57 am

Aiur850 wrote: SPC files compress a lot better if you use LZMA compression. I have a wad file I put a bunch of SPC music in some years back that had over 1200 spc files in it. When compressed with lzma at 64KB/file It came out to be about 3-4 Megs. It plays just fine compressed like this back in Skulltag days on servers I hosted.
I'd love to learn how to compress them like that, I have a .pk3 that replaces all vanilla Doom, Doom 2, and Heretic music with SPC files, and it's about 7 MB. And a .pk3 I use changemus with that has 5 full SPC soundtracks.
Last edited by Slim on Mon Jan 26, 2015 5:59 am, edited 1 time in total.

"Your childish antics grow tiring. If you dare to fight me, then I accept your challenge: Anytime, anywhere." - Zero, Megaman X5
Spoiler: Quotes (Open)
5:54 PM - Slim: you're complaining about something so small that
5:54 PM - Lance: so? we do that all the time
5:55 PM - Lance: we're a bunch of losers complaining at a bar minus the bar
Spoiler: Galactus tried evading (Open)

MrSetharoo
Forum Regular

Post by MrSetharoo » Mon Jan 26, 2015 6:01 am

I suggest to get some from Lupin III - Densetsu no Hihou wo Oe!, the song 'Stand Fighter' from Jojo no Kimyou na Bouken, Goof Troop, Shin Nekketsu Kouha - Kunio-tachi no Banka, and the SNES port of Lethal Enforcers.

Slim
Zandrone

Post by Slim » Mon Jan 26, 2015 7:24 am

doomjoshuaboy wrote:
Spoiler: There are 26 games and they are OVER 500 of them like 64KB to 66KB per music (Open)
SNES games: (in alphabetical order)
The Addams Family: Pugsley's Scavenger Hunt(Afa2)
Donkey Kong Country (Series) (dkc, dkdt & dkq)
Doom (doom)
Killer Instinct (ki)
Newman-Haas Indy Car Racing (nhic)
Nigel Mansell's World Championship Racing (nigel)
Secret of Mana (sd2)
Sim City (sc)
Street Fighter 2 (sf2)
Super Mario All-Stars (Super Mario Bros Series) (smas)
Super Mario Kart (smk)
Super Mario RPG (smr)
Super Mario World (smw)
Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Tournament Fighters (tmnt5)
Tetris & Dr. Mario (tdm)
Tetris 2 (tet2)
Vegas Stakes (vegas)
WWF Series (Raw, Royal Rumble, Super Wrestlemania and Wrestlemania: The Arcade Game) (wwfr, wwfrr, wwfsw & wwfa)
Super Mario World 2: Yoshi's Island (yi)
I like the picks of Super Mario RPG ( <3 ), the Donkey Kong Country series, SNES Doom, Street Fighter 2 and Secret of Mana, but...
Spoiler: Sorry for the overwhelming response but (Open)
No Super Castlevania IV/Dracula X? No Megaman X/X2/X3? No Final Fantasy 6? No Chrono Trigger? No F-Zero, Kirby Super Star, Super Metroid, Star Fox/Star Fox 2, Super Star Wars, or Earthworm Jim/Earthworm Jim 2? Heresy.
Otherwise, keep up the good work. If you think your site is missing some music, try here.

"Your childish antics grow tiring. If you dare to fight me, then I accept your challenge: Anytime, anywhere." - Zero, Megaman X5

MrSetharoo
Forum Regular

Post by MrSetharoo » Mon Jan 26, 2015 1:07 pm

Suicide Slim wrote:
No Super Castlevania IV/Dracula X? No Megaman X/X2/X3? No Final Fantasy 6? No Chrono Trigger? No F-Zero, Kirby Super Star, Super Metroid, Star Fox/Star Fox 2, Super Star Wars, or Earthworm Jim/Earthworm Jim 2? Heresy.
I second these

Aiur850
New User

Post by Aiur850 » Tue Jan 27, 2015 1:19 pm

Suicide Slim wrote:
Aiur850 wrote: SPC files compress a lot better if you use LZMA compression. I have a wad file I put a bunch of SPC music in some years back that had over 1200 spc files in it. When compressed with lzma at 64KB/file It came out to be about 3-4 Megs. It plays just fine compressed like this back in Skulltag days on servers I hosted.
I'd love to learn how to compress them like that, I have a .pk3 that replaces all vanilla Doom, Doom 2, and Heretic music with SPC files, and it's about 7 MB. And a .pk3 I use changemus with that has 5 full SPC soundtracks.
The wad I used with all the SPC files amounted to 87.2 MB before compression. After compression using LZMA, it shrunk the file down to 4.2 MB, including the ACS and text files.

The music folder in the file which doomjoshuaboy posted, which houses all the SPC is 36.8MB before compression. After compressing this it goes down to 2.6MB.

If you want to do this, what you first need to do is to put all your content first into a .WAD file and save this using a program such as SLADE3. Once this is a working .WAD file use 7zip with options:

Archive format: zip
Compression Level: Ultra
Compression Method: LZMA

Dictionary Size: 64 MB (You can use larger sizes for better compression but it's not really worth it, you might gain 1/10th of a MB by using very high 512MB+ numbers but at the cost of a HUGE amount of RAM to compress).

Word Size: 64 (Larger sizes here will compress better, this time at the expense of CPU time instead of RAM). I tested with 273 here and gained about 1/100th better compression on SPC files, you may get larger gains on other types of files within an archive.

Solid Block Size: Not supported in zip archive format, only 7z format. Should be blank if using zip.

Number of CPU threads: You can go as high as needed here, it will just compress a bit faster, though in some archive formats more threads does make the file size a few bytes larger.

I am not sure why when SPC files are first placed inside a .wad file then compressed in this manner save so much darn space over just compressing them natively outside of a doom .wad file.

You can experiment with the above options if you like, such as using 7z archive format and solid block sizes but test your file to ensure the music plays in game before distributing the file :)
Last edited by Aiur850 on Tue Jan 27, 2015 1:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Slim
Zandrone

Post by Slim » Tue Jan 27, 2015 5:10 pm

Ah, thanks. I know what I'm doing now. (before I got my newer HDD recently I was a bit of a Megabyte hoarder)

doomjoshuaboy
Developer

Post by doomjoshuaboy » Wed Jan 28, 2015 2:26 am

Aiur850 wrote:
Suicide Slim wrote:
The wad I used with all the SPC files amounted to 87.2 MB before compression. After compression using LZMA, it shrunk the file down to 4.2 MB, including the ACS and text files.

The music folder in the file which doomjoshuaboy posted, which houses all the SPC is 36.8MB before compression. After compressing this it goes down to 2.6MB.

If you want to do this, what you first need to do is to put all your content first into a .WAD file and save this using a program such as SLADE3. Once this is a working .WAD file use 7zip with options:

Archive format: zip
Compression Level: Ultra
Compression Method: LZMA

Dictionary Size: 64 MB (You can use larger sizes for better compression but it's not really worth it, you might gain 1/10th of a MB by using very high 512MB+ numbers but at the cost of a HUGE amount of RAM to compress).

Word Size: 64 (Larger sizes here will compress better, this time at the expense of CPU time instead of RAM). I tested with 273 here and gained about 1/100th better compression on SPC files, you may get larger gains on other types of files within an archive.

Solid Block Size: Not supported in zip archive format, only 7z format. Should be blank if using zip.

Number of CPU threads: You can go as high as needed here, it will just compress a bit faster, though in some archive formats more threads does make the file size a few bytes larger.

I am not sure why when SPC files are first placed inside a .wad file then compressed in this manner save so much darn space over just compressing them natively outside of a doom .wad file.

You can experiment with the above options if you like, such as using 7z archive format and solid block sizes but test your file to ensure the music plays in game before distributing the file :)
ok, Ill try that, thanks for the tip.
Suicide Slim wrote:
MrSetharoo wrote: I suggest to get some from Lupin III - Densetsu no Hihou wo Oe!, the song 'Stand Fighter' from Jojo no Kimyou na Bouken, Goof Troop, Shin Nekketsu Kouha - Kunio-tachi no Banka, and the SNES port of Lethal Enforcers.
Brilliant! More games, I'll get them and add it to the mod for my next version, thanks guys. ( it going to take awhile to add the games and add the track names.)

Doomkid
Frequent Poster Miles card holder
Clan: UniDoom
Clan Tag: [UD]

Post by Doomkid » Wed Jan 28, 2015 9:53 am

Oh man, I love SNES music so much..

DBZ: Hyper Dimension has a few tracks that are excellent for small/fast paced turf, I'd love to see them incorporated.

EDIT: Also gotta get some Street Fighter II tracks in there, the snes versions of those songs are the best
Last edited by Doomkid on Wed Jan 28, 2015 9:56 am, edited 1 time in total.

Aiur850
New User

Post by Aiur850 » Wed Jan 28, 2015 10:55 am

I just did an interesting test. Apparently it's not just SPC files that compress better when saved to a .wad file before compressing. I tested some other kinds of files like log/text files.

Example being, I have two text files. File 1 782KB File 2 665KB. Both total 1.41MB.
When compressing them using the options from my earlier post, the compressed size of both the files total 92.6KB.

Now putting these into a wad file before compressing them still total 1.41MB as expected(They are a few bytes larger as expected due to header data in wad files.)

However, compressing the .wad file which contains both files now compresses down to 64KB in size! It's strange how just putting files inside a wad file allows for better than natively compressing them(Directly adding to an archive for compressing). I confirmed it's not changing the data of any of the files because I can extract/export them from the wad file and they still match exactly the originals.

I wonder what other file types compress better being inside a wad file? It's got to be simply how the data is organized in a wad file that allow the compression program to maintain better compression ratios. Interesting.

Uwe L. Bendoverson

Post by Uwe L. Bendoverson » Wed Jan 28, 2015 9:24 pm

Speaking of emulated music, once Zandronum 2.0 comes out, it'll support VGM (Sega Master System/Mega Drive/Genesis) music, opening up even more possibilities.
Last edited by Uwe L. Bendoverson on Wed Jan 28, 2015 9:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Any fool can criticize, condemn, and complain-and most fools do. But it takes character and self-control to be understanding and forgiving."
Join the Doom Evolved group on Evolve!

Aiur850
New User

Post by Aiur850 » Thu Jan 29, 2015 4:57 am

Uwe L. Bendoverson wrote: Speaking of emulated music, once Zandronum 2.0 comes out, it'll support VGM (Sega Master System/Mega Drive/Genesis) music, opening up even more possibilities.
Ah nice to know. I've been waiting for support for those file formats for years now.

Slim
Zandrone

Post by Slim » Thu Jan 29, 2015 6:18 am

Uwe L. Bendoverson wrote: Speaking of emulated music, once Zandronum 2.0 comes out, it'll support VGM (Sega Master System/Mega Drive/Genesis) music, opening up even more possibilities.
Oh I hope USF (N64) format finds a way in, It'd be killer.
Last edited by Slim on Thu Jan 29, 2015 6:18 am, edited 1 time in total.

doomjoshuaboy
Developer

Post by doomjoshuaboy » Thu Jan 29, 2015 10:38 am

doom_kid92 wrote: Oh man, I love SNES music so much..

DBZ: Hyper Dimension has a few tracks that are excellent for small/fast paced turf, I'd love to see them incorporated.

EDIT: Also gotta get some Street Fighter II tracks in there, the snes versions of those songs are the best
got it and downloaded them but like i said to others it'll take awhile to do it and good to hear that you liked them. ;)

DevilHunter
Zandronum Tester

Post by DevilHunter » Mon Feb 02, 2015 7:13 pm

I swear XMPlay had native .spc support but guess not. Had to grab a plugin that contained other file formats for it to play. It also plays in Slade 3 surprisingly. Anyhow, nice collection.

doomjoshuaboy
Developer

Post by doomjoshuaboy » Thu Feb 05, 2015 5:39 am

DevilHunter wrote: I swear XMPlay had native .spc support but guess not. Had to grab a plugin that contained other file formats for it to play. It also plays in Slade 3 surprisingly. Anyhow, nice collection.
Thank you very much. You can use foobar2000, it works well with spc by getting plugins from the foobar2000 web.
You can find plugins here: http://www.foobar2000.org/components
Last edited by doomjoshuaboy on Thu Feb 05, 2015 5:49 am, edited 1 time in total.

doomjoshuaboy
Developer

RE: SNES Music in doom (50% of v2 complete)

Post by doomjoshuaboy » Sat Feb 28, 2015 12:44 am

Halfway of Version 2 done, another half to go

doomjoshuaboy
Developer

Post by doomjoshuaboy » Tue Apr 21, 2015 3:22 am

doomjoshuaboy wrote:
Spoiler: Progress of v2: 95% (Click to See More) (Open)
Adding more SNES music:Completed +25%
renamed the files yi(SNES games in small format)-XX/XXX(2/3 numbers) to yiXX:Completed +25%
ACS Script Completed +25%
Music Names: Almost Completed +20%
Almost completed last section. also its only the S games and then will upload it.

Razgriz
Forum Staff

Post by Razgriz » Tue Apr 21, 2015 6:42 pm

This is pretty neat, though too bad other emulated formats aren't supported like .PSF or .VGM, those would be real nice to have as well. Great work though.
<PUN1SH3R> Cube has a magnetic effect
<PUN1SH3R> all other clans are in orbit with us, they just dont know it
<PUN1SH3R> occasionally cube will pull a player into it's system
[Quote=DwangoUnited Website] Eyes has tainted the DWANGO name in World of Warcraft. Eyes owes several thousand gold to friends that offered to loan it to him. He's since cut us off completely, and is not planning on gaming or paying back what he owes leaving DWANGO United with the debt. You have hurt us in more ways than you can know, pal. I hope you're happy that we've bent over backwards for you. Thanks for paying us back with a spit in the face and a cold shoulder. By the way pal, your bfg skills suck ass.[/quote]
09:08 <Shane_> It's better being a cuck
09:08 <Shane_> Trust me, you'll learn one day