[WIP] WWII Realism (UPDATED)

Maps, modifications, add-ons, projects, and other releases for Zandronum. Also includes announcers.
false_chicken

[WIP] WWII Realism (UPDATED)

Post by false_chicken » Wed Dec 31, 2014 9:57 pm

NOW ON GITHUB: https://github.com/falsechicken/fc-breach
- NEW VIDEO -

phpBB [media]

Hello there. For the last few years I have been working on and off on this mod. The goal of the mod is to create Red Orchestra style realistic gameplay in Zandronum. I am quite happy with the results so far and am ready to share it. This mod is based on a previous mod by ant1991331 which itself was based on another mod. His original video will be linked below.

There is a test server running right now. Its in the server list as FC-Breach Test Server. If its not showing up then connect to chickensnest.us:10666

== Currently Implemented Features ==

- Various WWII weapons for four nations: America, Great Britain, Russia, and Germany. (This work was already done by the previous modder and I believe the assets are from Call of Duty 2)

- Stamina system with on screen bar. What was the Armor bar in the previous mod has been re-purposed into a stamina/sprint meter with a speed penalty for running it to 100 (Out of breath). This system is also used when holding your breath to steady your aim. Armor does nothing in this mod.

- Suppression system. When bullets land near you your aim will degrade and you will start to shake. Now you can negate that snipers advantage by suppressing them and allow your team to take them out. You may use your stamina and negate these effects by focusing and holding your breath but this resource is limited. Also be careful. If you shoot a wall in front of your face you can suppress yourself. Check your fire.

- Peeking/Leaning system. You may assign a key to the Peek Lock bind. While this mode is active you are locked to peeking left and right. You can get out of this by pressing forward or back.

- Sliding. You can sprint and after you have built a little momentum you can hold crouch to slide into cover.

- Aim sway for all weapons. Like Red Orchestra there is aim sway for your weapons. This can be lessened by crouching or negated by holding Shift to hold your breath.

- Manual bolting. The original mod bolted/pumped your weapon for you after a shot. No more. More like reality you need to click again to bolt or pump.

- Deadly bullets. Bullets are now deadly and the players are no longer bullet sponges like the previous mod. More in line with Red Orchestra and less CoD.

- Silence mode toggle. I always thought it was incredibly dumb the way most game characters would scream "RELOADING" or "GRENADE OUT" when no team mates where around. That puts you at a serious disadvantage now that the enemy knows exactly where you are and that you are reloading/can get out of the way now that they know a grenade is coming. This problem has been fixed with the Silence mode bind. With it toggled (A muted speaker icon will be on the hud.) your character will shut up and not scream any status messages or taunts.

- No more team indicator icons. Be sure to check your fire. Just like in Red Orchestra you need to visually identify your targets. Which is pretty easy since they all have their own skins.

- Plus a few things that I probably forgot to mention.

** Known Problems/Wishlist **

- Only two voice sets. English and German. I would like to expand this to include Russian and British English.

- The Americans, British, and Russians are all on the same team. This was not true in the original mod as the Russians where on the Opposition team with the Germans but for realism I put them with the Coalition. This creates lots of choices for an Allied player but the Axis just have the German weapons. I want to expand it in the future and add the Japanese to the Axis side to help balance it out.

- The iron sights are a few pixels off. They are slightly lower then they should be. I would like to use some entirely new ones but I have zero artistic ability.

- MAPS. I would really like some WWII themed maps. I have searched high and low and found none that where of any quality. Submissions are welcome.

- Plus other bugs/issues I probably forgot to mention.

== DOWNLOADS AND INFO ==

Mod PK3: https://github.com/falsechicken/fc-breach/releases

FreeDM (Just in case.): https://freedoom.github.io/download.html

=======================================================================

This is all a work in progress and feedback, bug reports, and patches are greatly appreciated. This is my first mod release and I am new to Doom modding to begin with so there are lots of features I want to implement but do not have sufficient knowledge on how to go about implementing them. Thanks! Now I can get some sleep.

== CREDITS ==

Here is ant1991331's original video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bzks98hhP6k
Last edited by false_chicken on Fri May 12, 2017 12:27 pm, edited 6 times in total.

Toumal
New User

[WIP] RE: WWII Realism

Post by Toumal » Mon Jan 05, 2015 10:08 am

I like where this is going, especially the deadly weapons. That really changes how people play.
The only thing that really bothered me is the seemingly excessive bob/sway when walking. I am fine with the reduced movement speed overall, though perhaps that too could do with some tweaking.

All in all a very refreshing mod, here's hoping for more updates!

false_chicken

Post by false_chicken » Mon Jan 05, 2015 1:19 pm

From what I have seen there is no way to change the bob amount easily sadly. Its a rather large thorn in my side :(. I originally tried to decrease it while crouch-walking but had no luck. If anyone knows how to I would love some tips.

Movement speed and weapon balance are still up in the air at the moment. I have not really had enough people/feedback to properly test these things lol.

false_chicken

Post by false_chicken » Wed May 27, 2015 8:22 am

I have updated this post with a new version. Sorry it took so long.

false_chicken

Post by false_chicken » Fri May 29, 2015 7:56 am

I have updated yet again. Now at version 0.5. Skulltag dependencies have been removed and various settings have been tweaked.

false_chicken

[WIP] Re: WWII Realism (UPDATED)

Post by false_chicken » Thu May 11, 2017 10:53 pm

Updated a bit with new video and Github link.

Combinebobnt
Retired Staff / Community Team Member

[WIP] Re: WWII Realism (UPDATED)

Post by Combinebobnt » Thu May 11, 2017 10:57 pm

rgaww2 upgrade from 2014? must have slipped under my radar. i will check this out later...