Gotcha MAP20 Remake

Maps, modifications, add-ons, projects, and other releases for Zandronum. Also includes announcers.
Lightning

Gotcha MAP20 Remake

Post by Lightning » Sun Jul 01, 2012 12:19 pm

Hello there folks :)

It took a while to make this level, since I am idealess alot. But finally I finnished it and it's playable in both single-player and multiplayer mode!

SCREENSHOTS:

You can download it HERE

Please comment and tell me what you think about it! :)
Last edited by Lightning on Sun Jul 08, 2012 12:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Zalewa
Developer

RE: Gotcha MAP20 Remake

Post by Zalewa » Sun Jul 01, 2012 4:31 pm

I played it. It's OK but it leaves a lot of room for improvement. The map feels flat and too straight-forward. You could improve by inserting enemies that attack from other directions than just straight-forward. Also the red key fight was too easy to escape from. And the last thing - instant death pits. Just don't do them.

Final verdict: it's only OK because it's short. If it had been longer it would get boring.

BTW: Where are Cyberdemon and Spider Mastermind?
Doomseeker - a real answer to cross-platform server browser.
Doomseeker dev builds - unofficial Doomseeker builds for Windows.
Gamer's Proxy - a program to emulate ping and packet losses.

katZune
Forum Regular

Post by katZune » Sun Jul 01, 2012 6:09 pm

Zalewa wrote: I played it. It's OK but it leaves a lot of room for improvement. The map feels flat and too straight-forward. You could improve by inserting enemies that attack from other directions than just straight-forward. Also the red key fight was too easy to escape from. And the last thing - instant death pits. Just don't do them.

Final verdict: it's only OK because it's short. If it had been longer it would get boring.
have the same opinion...
Zalewa wrote: BTW: Where are Cyberdemon and Spider Mastermind?
this too
Whitout a good PC ATM, i will back when 2.0 come out, :)
Spoiler: The True (Open)
Ijon Tichy wrote:
Catastrophe wrote: Banned on grandvoid for trolling Zombie Horde and all out war (blocking, destroying my own base, etc)
Kicked from El Zoido's all out war for nuking our teams base
Kicked again from el Zoido's server for fucking up the warfactory so bad that mechs couldn't spawn anymore
I see no offenses here

only justice

Lightning

Post by Lightning » Sun Jul 01, 2012 6:34 pm

katZune wrote:
Zalewa wrote: I played it. It's OK but it leaves a lot of room for improvement. The map feels flat and too straight-forward. You could improve by inserting enemies that attack from other directions than just straight-forward. Also the red key fight was too easy to escape from. And the last thing - instant death pits. Just don't do them.

have the same opinion...
Zalewa wrote: BTW: Where are Cyberdemon and Spider Mastermind?
this too
:/

Well, thanks for the replies.

Reaku
Forum Regular

Post by Reaku » Sun Jul 01, 2012 6:49 pm

As a word of advise, if you're going to remake a map, make it as close to the original as possible while extending the map and making it much more enjoyable than the original was, and also making it look better than what the original was.
|Project releases|
http://zandronum.com/forum/showthread.php?tid=217 : Reckoning of Armageddon: Deathmatch map pack :

Devon
Forum Regular

Post by Devon » Sun Jul 01, 2012 6:55 pm

I was quite impressed with the map, especially after reading the slightly dim reviews about it. Again, detail wasn't brilliant, but pretty good. The path you have to take going around to different places was fun and well put together. Monsters were usually in packs and were well placed. I have a few things that I think could be improved. Here is my bug report on the map:
Spoiler: Faults that require immediate fixing (Open)
After being killed by the stealth hell knight, I spawned a bot and respawned so I didn't have to start over. However, these stealth hell knights became invulnerable statues, blocking the switch behind them to drop the red pillars. I had to use idclip to get to it.
Spoiler: Improvements that are recommended to add (Open)
I would expand the map slightly, as then you could add more compact action like there was in the corridors.

A little more detail around the walls and platforms would make the map more impressive to look at.
Spoiler: Suggestions for improvements (Open)
As said before, where is the cyberdemon and the spidermastermind? I was expecting custom monsters like in lightmaze, which are like those two big monsters. Maybe replace the exit switch with a teleport switch to an arena with those two in, and when they die the exit opens? I think that would add more variety to the map and make it more popular.

Hey, you could even add jumps in it to add it to lightmaze, which I still think has great potential.

Keep up the good work lightning!

Ænima
Addicted to Zandronum

Post by Ænima » Sun Jul 01, 2012 9:58 pm

Maybe after some improvements, you can submit it to Super Skulltag. Would fit perfectly. ;)
­ ­ ­ ­ ­ ­ ­ ­ ­ ­ ­ ­ ­ ­ ­ ­ ­
Doom64: Unabsolved: New weapons, monsters, and gameplay features for coop !

ZandroSkins
: a pack made by our community

Combinebobnt
Retired Staff / Community Team Member

Post by Combinebobnt » Sun Jul 01, 2012 11:31 pm

He didn't sign up for a map position though so I guess he can't.

Ænima
Addicted to Zandronum

Post by Ænima » Sun Jul 01, 2012 11:48 pm

The current holder of the SSTMAP20 slot, Sgt Dopey, has made zero progress ever since claiming the slot, and hasn't been heard from in months. I'll probably kick him off that slot soon. If so, I'd love to have Lightning's "Gotcha" remake as SSTMAP20. :D
­ ­ ­ ­ ­ ­ ­ ­ ­ ­ ­ ­ ­ ­ ­ ­ ­
Doom64: Unabsolved: New weapons, monsters, and gameplay features for coop !

ZandroSkins
: a pack made by our community

Devon
Forum Regular

Post by Devon » Mon Jul 02, 2012 9:05 pm

Oh yes, I remember Super SkullTag you'll probably have to rename it super Zandronum but anyway and tbh this map would fit in that better than Lightning's Lightmaze project IMO.

Lightning

Post by Lightning » Tue Aug 07, 2012 12:41 pm

This map is being used in the Light-Maze Project for now, it also got a few better things.
For anyone who are interested about this, see the map LM07 in Light-Maze.