Prop Hunt - vb5 is out

Maps, modifications, add-ons, projects, and other releases for Zandronum. Also includes announcers.
Theshooter7
Forum Regular

RE: Prop Hunt - vb2 released!!

Post by Theshooter7 » Wed Apr 23, 2014 3:39 am

I had a lot of fun playing this on the servers. A few things though: I see the old desperate trick from WDI returns, where just before you die, you spectate to prevent the other person from getting the health back that they spent trying to kill you. It's also tough when the remaining hunter(s) have low health and there is a couple props running around at lightning speed.

My biggest suggestion is that, when someone spectates from within the game, heal all hunters, either to full health or by a percentage, in order to crush the bullshit spectate tactic. I also recommend some kind of system to give all other hunters a boost of health when a kill is made (the killer still gets full health of course). Either that or some kind of slow health regen that increases in speed as the clock gets closer to zero.

Keep up the fantastic work. :)

Catastrophe
Retired Staff / Community Team Member

Post by Catastrophe » Wed Apr 23, 2014 3:50 am

Theshooter7 wrote: My biggest suggestion is that, when someone spectates from within the game, heal all hunters, either to full health or by a percentage, in order to crush the bullshit spectate tactic. I also recommend some kind of system to give all other hunters a boost of health when a kill is made (the killer still gets full health of course). Either that or some kind of slow health regen that increases in speed as the clock gets closer to zero.
Agreed, though personally I think it should give full hp back to the last person that damaged it instead of all of the enemy team.

Ijon Tichy
Frequent Poster Miles card holder

Post by Ijon Tichy » Wed Apr 23, 2014 5:09 am

Catastrophe wrote: Agreed, though personally I think it should give full hp back to the last person that damaged it instead of all of the enemy team.
No way to know that - that information isn't tracked. The best you could do is check from the firer using line-of-sight checks, but that doesn't account for spread and is also extremely hacky.

Frits
Forum Regular

Post by Frits » Wed Apr 23, 2014 6:33 am

So many replies D:
Catastrophe wrote: Now that random class has been added it's quite apparent that for balancing reasons, solid objects should not bleed imo
My main concern for messing with the blood stuff is that it will bring inconsistency into the mod. If some props bleed but other props don't, how will you know which prop belongs to which category? (Except if you read the changelog which nobody does)
I like to keep the game mechanic simple and easy so everyone can pick it up on their first go.

I think the real killer for the big tree is the current mappack. Doom2 is way to small.
CloudFlash wrote: Things I wish were applied:
-Fists using A_Explode instead of A_CustomPunch (does not cause blood, and if slightly modified may not cause a pain state. Fists as they are now are terrifyingly useless.)
-Separate button for long taunts (5 seconds +) and short taunts
Fist is currently a low dmg/low selfdmg prop checker. Not a way to kill props. Before this version it had no selfdmg on attack and people could just check every prop at no cost. Shotgun already instakills most of the tinier props at melee range anyway.

The long and short taunts are part of the taunting metagame. If your lucky you'll get a short taunt if not, well you know the result.
Being a cocky prop comes at a high price :d
Catastrophe wrote:
Theshooter7 wrote: My biggest suggestion is that, when someone spectates from within the game, heal all hunters, either to full health or by a percentage, in order to crush the bullshit spectate tactic. I also recommend some kind of system to give all other hunters a boost of health when a kill is made (the killer still gets full health of course). Either that or some kind of slow health regen that increases in speed as the clock gets closer to zero.
Agreed, though personally I think it should give full hp back to the last person that damaged it instead of all of the enemy team.
I agree this needs fixing. How it should be done i'm not yet sure of but i'll keep your ideas in mind.
Combinebobnt wrote: The random classes with no crouch has made it extremely tough for props to win on the doom2 server now. You should probably just leave the crouch thing to the server rather than hard coding it off too (if that's what you did).
Yeah, random morphing prevents you from crouching as Ijon already pointed out. None the less this was extremely op for smaller items. The only reason we left it in to begin with was because taller props got stuck in the ceilling. This has was fixed in v2.
DooMAGE wrote: New version already? yay!

If you guys will make a mappack, Im in :)
Yes, everyone map now! :d
People wrote: Taunts
I'll look through these. We added Lord of D:'s "stop right there" before.
Last edited by Frits on Wed Apr 23, 2014 10:42 am, edited 1 time in total.

Code: Select all

Mode #grandvoid -o Konar6 by Frits
<Konar6> the fuck
<Konar6> who made this IRC
<Konar6> how is this possible

Omegalore
New User

Post by Omegalore » Wed Apr 23, 2014 6:34 am

Ha ha. Loved that mod. Was on a server, so ever fun.

Frits
Forum Regular

Post by Frits » Wed Apr 23, 2014 7:36 am

who says big trees can't win:
This was a legit round and noone noticed uggi
[SPOILER]Image[/SPOILER]

Code: Select all

Mode #grandvoid -o Konar6 by Frits
<Konar6> the fuck
<Konar6> who made this IRC
<Konar6> how is this possible

tyler12112

Post by tyler12112 » Wed Apr 23, 2014 7:47 am

Frits wrote: who says big trees can't win:
[SPOILER]Image[/SPOILER]
My names in the hunters but i died at start, i don't even know how they didn't see this. Maybe uggi too gud
Last edited by tyler12112 on Wed Apr 23, 2014 7:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
Everybody needs a hobby

Kokiri

Post by Kokiri » Wed Apr 23, 2014 8:22 am

tyler12112 wrote:
Frits wrote: who says big trees can't win:
[SPOILER]Image[/SPOILER]
My names in the hunters but i died at start, i don't even know how they didn't see this. Maybe uggi too gud
Get telefucked :D
<Siferah>Everyone is banned from #vgl because Ten did like
<Siferah>!flags *!*@* +b
- Hissy set mode: +b *!*@*
- Dastan left (Kicked by Hissy with the following reason: User is banned from this channel)
- Galactus left (Kicked by Hissy with the following reason: User is banned from this channel)
- ChanServ: Siferah (AlienOverlord) set flags +b on *!*@*.
<Siferah>fuc

Cruduxy
Zandrone

Post by Cruduxy » Wed Apr 23, 2014 12:32 pm

As I mentioned before, maybe make the props weapon transform them to a smaller version of them instead of crouching, do again and they get morphed to full size again. -Smaller versions has penalties to speed,jump height etc.

Edit : Please keep mutating as prop give nothing to hunters, It adds some brain games to this :_ -spectating nope thats just lame-.
Last edited by Cruduxy on Wed Apr 23, 2014 12:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
[][][][][][][][][][][][][][][]
Nothing to see here

Hypnotoad
Retired Staff / Community Team Member

Post by Hypnotoad » Wed Apr 23, 2014 1:15 pm

Theshooter7 wrote: My biggest suggestion is that, when someone spectates from within the game, heal all hunters, either to full health or by a percentage, in order to crush the bullshit spectate tactic.
Thanks for the useful feedback! I will try to implement something like this for the next release.

SwordGrunt
Forum Regular

Post by SwordGrunt » Wed Apr 23, 2014 2:51 pm

Cruduxy wrote: As I mentioned before, maybe make the props weapon transform them to a smaller version of them instead of crouching, do again and they get morphed to full size again. -Smaller versions has penalties to speed,jump height etc.

Edit : Please keep mutating as prop give nothing to hunters, It adds some brain games to this :_ -spectating nope thats just lame-.
Morphing resets health and stops you in your tracks, I'm pretty sure that would be a bit too weird for crouching

I like this, but since you guys are working with blue and red I think you should code some sort of proper team balancing, because on smaller maps everyone goes hunter and on bigger maps everyone goes props (so they can win, since this is such a serious mod). The result is either 1:1 or 1:3 odds most of the time, whereas the ideal and rarely obtained seems to be around 1:2

I know forcing team balancing isn't nice but, at least you could keep people from stacking too hard, for instance if they join the hunters when there's already too many they get kicked to props right before round start, or vice-versa.

Cruduxy
Zandrone

Post by Cruduxy » Wed Apr 23, 2014 4:00 pm

SwordGrunt wrote:
Morphing resets health and stops you in your tracks, I'm pretty sure that would be a bit too weird for crouching
In normal form :
Altfire calls an acs function, it gives the player special ammo equal to how much hp they have -or good ol array-. Then performs a morphactor with a too long duration that no one will be sane enough to wait out or timer never allows to be reached.
Will need MRF_FULLHEALTH and "" flash so they dont have transformation fog.

In crouched form :
Altfire calls another function, it'll unmorph the actor, set his hp to the amount of ammo he has, take all ammo from him and its done? -dont use forced flag!-

It doesn't have to be altfire it could even be a bindable key.
P.S. Hope zan supports morphactor :P

Edit : Think it'll have to use ammo on both forms to transfer hp or they'll just heal in crouched frbm :_
Last edited by Cruduxy on Wed Apr 23, 2014 4:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Nothing to see here

SwordGrunt
Forum Regular

Post by SwordGrunt » Wed Apr 23, 2014 4:45 pm

Cruduxy wrote:
SwordGrunt wrote:
In normal form :
Altfire calls an acs function, it gives the player special ammo equal to how much hp they have -or good ol array-. Then performs a morphactor with a too long duration that no one will be sane enough to wait out or timer never allows to be reached.
Will need MRF_FULLHEALTH and "" flash so they dont have transformation fog.

In crouched form :
Altfire calls another function, it'll unmorph the actor, set his hp to the amount of ammo he has, take all ammo from him and its done? -dont use forced flag!-

It doesn't have to be altfire it could even be a bindable key.
P.S. Hope zan supports morphactor :P

Edit : Think it'll have to use ammo on both forms to transfer hp or they'll just heal in crouched frbm :_
... is crouch really that important? I think it ruins the point of hiding as an actual item anyway

Tux
Forum Regular

Post by Tux » Wed Apr 23, 2014 6:17 pm

how about just banning from server everyone who spectates for n games where n is (number defined by yourself * the timelimit)?
Last edited by Tux on Wed Apr 23, 2014 6:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
dear diary, tux today was a faggot again[/size]

Theshooter7
Forum Regular

Post by Theshooter7 » Wed Apr 23, 2014 6:54 pm

Hypnotoad wrote:
Theshooter7 wrote: My biggest suggestion is that, when someone spectates from within the game, heal all hunters, either to full health or by a percentage, in order to crush the bullshit spectate tactic.
Thanks for the useful feedback! I will try to implement something like this for the next release.
If you (or Frits) need some help on this, it's really simple: Disconnect scripts only trigger on people actually in game, and it works if they either spectate or completely disconnect. So just dump the heal in a disconnect script, and you're practically golden.

Ijon Tichy

Post by Ijon Tichy » Wed Apr 23, 2014 7:04 pm

DISCONNECT scripts run on the world, though. You'll need to signal to the hunters somehow that they need to heal up; either through giving a CustomInventory to a certain TID shared by the hunters, or through sending a signal to an ENTER script through an array or something.

Theshooter7
Forum Regular

Post by Theshooter7 » Wed Apr 23, 2014 7:11 pm

Ijon Tichy wrote: DISCONNECT scripts run on the world, though. You'll need to signal to the hunters somehow that they need to heal up; either through giving a CustomInventory to a certain TID shared by the hunters, or through sending a signal to an ENTER script through an array or something.
An easy trick would be to just loop through all the players, and check the team. If blue, heal the player. Indeed this would likely require assigning players a TID based on PlayerNumber() however, though the conditional Enter script loop would be a cool trick too.

Also:
Spoiler: Potential Prop Taunt (Open)
phpBB [video]
The [video] tag is deprecated, please use the [media] tag

Ijon Tichy

Post by Ijon Tichy » Wed Apr 23, 2014 7:34 pm

Well, I'm wary of using TIDs to communicate between scripts, because anything can change a TID. A pure ACS solution is nice, because at least then there's one less (very glaring) point of failure.

Speaking of, should you go down that route, here's a simple system that allows you to tell arbitrary players to run ACS scripts. Simply #include that (and maybe change the script number), and use SendSignal as defined. Untested, but I see no reason it wouldn't work.
Last edited by Ijon Tichy on Wed Apr 23, 2014 7:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

-Jes-

Post by -Jes- » Wed Apr 23, 2014 7:38 pm

Taunts 31, 32, 33 and 36 really Really REALLY REALLY REALLY need to be infinity taunts!

Might need some editing for it tho.
Last edited by -Jes- on Wed Apr 23, 2014 7:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Lord_of_D:
Posts a lot

Post by Lord_of_D: » Wed Apr 23, 2014 7:57 pm

Frits wrote:
DooMAGE wrote: New version already? yay!

If you guys will make a mappack, Im in :)
Yes, everyone map now! :d
Lets start a community pack specifically for this mod, but which we can play too in common DM :3. btw, whyd you disable the music? for listenning much better?
Last edited by Lord_of_D: on Wed Apr 23, 2014 7:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.