Prop Hunt - vb5 is out

Maps, modifications, add-ons, projects, and other releases for Zandronum. Also includes announcers.
Marcaek
Forum Staff

RE: Prop Hunt - vb4 is out, featuring PH_MAPPROPSONLY and more!!!

Post by Marcaek » Thu May 01, 2014 3:05 am

Some people disable music in CTF and Duel too, for similar reasons. I'd ask "why not just leave it up to the player" but it seems that's actually what's going to happen with a cvar.

Ijon Tichy
Frequent Poster Miles card holder

Post by Ijon Tichy » Thu May 01, 2014 3:06 am

Espio wrote: I'll be honest I complained a little about setting a map's default music to silence, but not enough to have a cvar built in to stop it entirely.

Isn't that what WAD editing is for? Can just delete the silence files and that's it really. Sure gotta do it for each release but at least it's a personal preference I can fix manually on my own.
Considering this is literally all it required:

Code: Select all

#include "zcommon.acs"

script 722 OPEN
{
    ACS_ExecuteAlways(723);
}

script 723 (void) clientside
{
    if (!GetCVar("ph_enablemusic")) { LocalSetMusic("SILENCE"); }
    else { ConsoleCommand("set ph_enablemusic 0"); ConsoleCommand("archivecvar ph_enablemusic"); }
}
if it were me, any amount of complaining would've resulted in that. It's a one-minute job, come on.
Last edited by Ijon Tichy on Thu May 01, 2014 3:09 am, edited 1 time in total.

Cruduxy
Zandrone

Post by Cruduxy » Thu May 01, 2014 9:18 am

Why people are still complaining? They did the cvar you asked for now dont argue you need music on :\
[][][][][][][][][][][][][][][]
Nothing to see here
[][][][][][][][][][][][][][][]

Retro=Gamer
New User

Post by Retro=Gamer » Fri May 02, 2014 12:50 am

Is there gonna be skulltag runes and weapon props?
Last edited by Retro=Gamer on Fri May 02, 2014 12:50 am, edited 1 time in total.

SwordGrunt
Forum Regular

Post by SwordGrunt » Fri May 02, 2014 3:30 am

I prefer suggesting things to the developers directly but fuck it, I'll post it here.

Two suggestions to make playable several maps that currently aren't:

First, a simple one: make props fire an invisible and harmless missile so they can trigger shoot/hit triggers (such as the spawn door on MAP18)

Second, to avoid exploits such as health bonuses walking into small passages that hunters can't go in (MANY maps have those, usually on liquids), you could give all props the default player height (56) and give them projectilepassheight equal to whatever they should have. In turn that would require changing the hitscan weapons to use FastProjectiles instead, which from my experience doesn't change anything, except possibly one thing that Hypno brought up: the netcode and/or unlagged may handle them differently. Honestly I've always worked with FastProjectiles to emulate hitscan and I've never noticed anything different from true hitscan, but it's still something that should be tested.
Last edited by SwordGrunt on Fri May 02, 2014 3:31 am, edited 1 time in total.

Untitled
Forum Regular

Post by Untitled » Fri May 02, 2014 7:27 pm

SwordGrunt wrote: I prefer suggesting things to the developers directly but fuck it, I'll post it here.

Two suggestions to make playable several maps that currently aren't:

First, a simple one: make props fire an invisible and harmless missile so they can trigger shoot/hit triggers (such as the spawn door on MAP18)

Second, to avoid exploits such as health bonuses walking into small passages that hunters can't go in (MANY maps have those, usually on liquids), you could give all props the default player height (56) and give them projectilepassheight equal to whatever they should have. In turn that would require changing the hitscan weapons to use FastProjectiles instead, which from my experience doesn't change anything, except possibly one thing that Hypno brought up: the netcode and/or unlagged may handle them differently. Honestly I've always worked with FastProjectiles to emulate hitscan and I've never noticed anything different from true hitscan, but it's still something that should be tested.
The problem is, Hitscan attacks actually go through props by default, and fake projectiles don't. I.E. hunters can't actually shoot things to check if they're real or not, making the game much harder for them.
Last edited by Untitled on Fri May 02, 2014 7:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"I'm in despair! The fact someone would give me the title 'Forum Regular' has left me in despair!"
Spoiler: Me in a nutshell (Open)
<Untitled> this is a terrible idea
<Untitled> lets do it anyway

<Untitled> Depends
<Untitled> What kind of wad error is "Address not Mapped to Object (Signal 11)"?

<Untitled> So today I found out that stupidity is nested fractally
<Untitled> There is no lower bound
Projects:
SamsaraHold http://zandronum.com/forum/showthread.php?tid=3053

Ijon Tichy

Post by Ijon Tichy » Fri May 02, 2014 7:32 pm

And that's not an issue in the slightest in this case. They're players. They're meant to be shot.

Edit: Where did the idea that you can't shoot props to check them come from? Shoot them. If they bleed, shoot them some more. That's prop-hunting 101.
Last edited by Ijon Tichy on Fri May 02, 2014 7:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mr fiat

Post by mr fiat » Fri May 02, 2014 7:54 pm

hmm, maybe give hunters diffrent weapons to give players more incentive to play as hunters because as it seems right now people prefer to play as props allot more then hunters. its ussualy allot of props and only like 2 or 3 hunters. (i for one never liked vannila shotgun)
Last edited by mr fiat on Fri May 02, 2014 8:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Untitled
Forum Regular

Post by Untitled » Fri May 02, 2014 8:15 pm

Ijon Tichy wrote: And that's not an issue in the slightest in this case. They're players. They're meant to be shot.

Edit: Where did the idea that you can't shoot props to check them come from? Shoot them. If they bleed, shoot them some more. That's prop-hunting 101.
I was referring to use of hitscan weapons. If it goes through a prop, the prop is a prop. If the hitscan hits the prop, it's a player.
"I'm in despair! The fact someone would give me the title 'Forum Regular' has left me in despair!"

<Untitled> Depends
<Untitled> What kind of wad error is "Address not Mapped to Object (Signal 11)"?

Projects:

SwordGrunt
Forum Regular

Post by SwordGrunt » Fri May 02, 2014 9:01 pm

Untitled wrote:
Ijon Tichy wrote: And that's not an issue in the slightest in this case. They're players. They're meant to be shot.

I was referring to use of hitscan weapons. If it goes through a prop, the prop is a prop. If the hitscan hits the prop, it's a player.
But players bleed and props don't, so what's the difference?

Untitled
Forum Regular

Post by Untitled » Fri May 02, 2014 10:24 pm

SwordGrunt wrote:
Untitled wrote:

But players bleed and props don't, so what's the difference?
Projectile-based weapons don't cause bleeding. To the best of my knowledge, anyway. Only hitscans cause bleeding, and they go through props. It also discourages hiding by literally being in the middle of a bunch of trees making you nigh-impossible to hit.

<Untitled> Depends

Projects:

-Jes-

Post by -Jes- » Fri May 02, 2014 11:01 pm

Projectiles can cause bleeding, you just have to do their death states right.

And no, your shots no longer passing through solid decor actors won't be that big a difference either.
You'll still be checking for blood puffs - you just can't check anything behind that legit decor with the same shot anymore!
Untitled wrote:It also encourages hiding by literally being in the middle of a bunch of trees making you difficult, but not impossible, to hit.
Fixed that for you. If the prop could get inbetween a bunch of trees, then the hunter can get there as well.
Last edited by -Jes- on Fri May 02, 2014 11:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

SwordGrunt
Forum Regular

Post by SwordGrunt » Sat May 03, 2014 12:22 am

-Jes- wrote: Projectiles can cause bleeding, you just have to do their death states right.

And no, your shots no longer passing through solid decor actors won't be that big a difference either.
You'll still be checking for blood puffs - you just can't check anything behind that legit decor with the same shot anymore!
Untitled wrote:It also encourages hiding by literally being in the middle of a bunch of trees making you difficult, but not impossible, to hit.
Fixed that for you. If the prop could get inbetween a bunch of trees, then the hunter can get there as well.
Indeed. This is what I used for hitscan bullets (at least I think this was the one):

actor BaseBullet : FastProjectile
{
	speed 512
	radius 4
	height 8
	+BLOODSPLATTER
	states
	{
		Spawn:
			TNT1 A 1
			loop
		Death:
			TNT1 A 1 A_SpawnItem("BulletPuff")
			stop
		Crash:
		XDeath:
			TNT1 A 1
			stop
	}
}

Ijon Tichy

Post by Ijon Tichy » Sat May 03, 2014 2:52 am

And you can always alleviate the issue by making the bullet projectile and the props the same species and using +THRUSPECIES. You can still use +MTHRUSPECIES to have it pass through hunters. This is what I'll be doing in Oneshot 7.2 to unblock hitscans and projectiles when sv_unblockplayers is on.

Frits
Forum Regular

Post by Frits » Sun May 04, 2014 1:59 pm

Prophunt BETA5 released!
http://static.[bad site]/wads/prophunt-vb5.pk3

Most important changes: ph_notaunts and ph_enablemusic
enjoy!

[spoiler]Changelog:
Vb5
_________
- Some minor changes to the ACS barely worth mentioning [Hypnotoad]
- Added black screen override as suggested by Zeberpal, maps must execute script 750 on the very first tic in order to stop hunters getting black screen and being frozen. [Hypnotoad]
- Made sure taunts end after their duration, even if someone connects with a custom sndinfo [Hypnotoad]
- Added cvar, PH_ENABLEMUSIC to enable music again. Clients should use "set PH_ENABLEMUSIC 1" in console to enable music again, and "archivecvar PH_ENABLEMUSIC 1" to save this in their INI. [Hypnotoad]
- Added cvar, PH_NOTAUNTS to disable taunts. Clients should use "set_PH_NOTAUNTS 1" in console to disable taunts archivecvar PH_NOTAUNTS 1" to save this in their INI. [Frits/Hypnotoad]
- Fixed Computer Area Map Height[/spoiler]
Last edited by Frits on Sun May 04, 2014 2:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mode #grandvoid -o Konar6 by Frits
<Konar6> the fuck
<Konar6> who made this IRC
<Konar6> how is this possible

EnsaladaDeTomate

Post by EnsaladaDeTomate » Sun May 04, 2014 4:00 pm

Frits wrote: Prophunt BETA5 released!
http://static.[bad site]/wads/prophunt-vb5.pk3

Most important changes: ph_notaunts and ph_enablemusic
enjoy!

[spoiler]Changelog:
Vb5
_________
- Some minor changes to the ACS barely worth mentioning [Hypnotoad]
- Added black screen override as suggested by Zeberpal, maps must execute script 750 on the very first tic in order to stop hunters getting black screen and being frozen. [Hypnotoad]
- Made sure taunts end after their duration, even if someone connects with a custom sndinfo [Hypnotoad]
- Added cvar, PH_ENABLEMUSIC to enable music again. Clients should use "set PH_ENABLEMUSIC 1" in console to enable music again, and "archivecvar PH_ENABLEMUSIC 1" to save this in their INI. [Hypnotoad]
- Added cvar, PH_NOTAUNTS to disable taunts. Clients should use "set_PH_NOTAUNTS 1" in console to disable taunts archivecvar PH_NOTAUNTS 1" to save this in their INI. [Frits/Hypnotoad]
- Fixed Computer Area Map Height[/spoiler]
Nice one, btw, u guys should check at the BE Doom + Doom2 server the Burning Barrel and Blue Torch's offets, cause the Burning Barrels are dancing over the floor, and the Blue Torch Prop Class (idk if this is happening to the red and green one) is floating near a normal Red Torch...
Last edited by EnsaladaDeTomate on Sun May 04, 2014 4:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Frits
Forum Regular

Post by Frits » Sun May 04, 2014 6:17 pm

That's because it's hosting doom2 and doom1. If you host ph with doom2 alone this doesn't happen. I'll look into it.

edit: about the height issue. Remove the Maps that are broken from the maplist.
Last edited by Frits on Sun May 04, 2014 8:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mode #grandvoid -o Konar6 by Frits
<Konar6> the fuck
<Konar6> who made this IRC
<Konar6> how is this possible

MrSetharoo
Forum Regular

Post by MrSetharoo » Sun May 04, 2014 10:19 pm

This mod is awesome. I had so many hilarious moments of hiding and throwing taunts out to add to the pressure only to eventually get greedy with the taunts and a hunter turn around and blow me up with a grenade.

Also, could we submit sound files for taunts? I have a couple of short sounds clips on my computer that I ripped from videos and what not for shits n' giggles a couple of months back that are just collecting dust.
Last edited by MrSetharoo on Sun May 04, 2014 10:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

SwordGrunt
Forum Regular

RE: Prop Hunt - vb5 is out

Post by SwordGrunt » Sat May 10, 2014 9:14 pm

Right now the fun is dying out because almost all games are hunters chaingunning everything they see and chaingun tapping on all props they find. Almost no one uses the fist because unless you're going to check several dozen props and not find a single player, it doesn't really matter. And using the shotgun is kind of pointless since chaingun tapping is 100% accurate.

Sure the server can lower the damage inflicted by the shotgun, I lowered it to 5 from 6 and it still doesn't feel worth it, well no one uses it that's for sure, and it's not like shotgun needs a buff, IMO the chaingun tapping just needs to be removed.
Last edited by SwordGrunt on Sat May 10, 2014 9:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

EnsaladaDeTomate

RE: Prop Hunt - vb5 is out

Post by EnsaladaDeTomate » Sat May 10, 2014 9:35 pm

SwordGrunt wrote: Right now the fun is dying out because almost all games are hunters chaingunning everything they see and chaingun tapping on all props they find. Almost no one uses the fist because unless you're going to check several dozen props and not find a single player, it doesn't really matter. And using the shotgun is kind of pointless since chaingun tapping is 100% accurate.

Sure the server can lower the damage inflicted by the shotgun, I lowered it to 5 from 6 and it still doesn't feel worth it, well no one uses it that's for sure, and it's not like shotgun needs a buff, IMO the chaingun tapping just needs to be removed.
^ This...

The first's betas were a lot better than those ones...

Infinite Taunts, props without 100% resistance on acid/lava floors, no crouching, dynamic lights enabled, the lack of hp on small props and beign slower than normal props, < Hunter's killing them by 1 shoot, etc.... kind of ruined the game....
Last edited by EnsaladaDeTomate on Sat May 10, 2014 9:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.